How to properly wind the fishing line for trimmer on the spool of the gasoline trimmer for grass with their own hands
Often a universal trimmer line with a diameter of 2 mm is used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
Look for information about line thickness in the instruction manual that came with your trimmer. Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes there is information about possible line diameters on it. Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet hole
If it passes easily into it, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
You can choose the cord according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the engine in this case will overheat greatly and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick thread will do. If you could not find such, you can use a line for the trimmer for 1.6 mm. If more than 1 kW, choose a 2 mm cord.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. 2 mm cord is often used for bent version. If the shaft is straight, then install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a circular cross section. They cut fresh grass well, but are less efficient with shrubs and dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- Serrated filament with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with a rectangular, star or square grass trimmer line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular cross section.
Please note that wire, metal cords and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line should not be used instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to work, resulting in their ends unraveling and the small pieces disperse with great speed.
Changing from a fishing line to a disc
Depending on the type of vegetation covering the garden plot (lawn) and requiring removal, the line for the trimmer is changed to a disc. This is necessary because the cord is only used for grass with low height, and if tall growth, tree shoots, or bushes need to be mowed, metal or plastic disc blades are better used instead of a string. Correctly install them is very simple, a detailed process is usually described in the user manual and is similar for trimmers of different brands, whether Al-Co, Oleo-Mac, “Patriot” or equipment of another brand. To change the fishing line on the blades is necessary:
- Lock the shaft and remove the spool by turning it clockwise;
- put the knife on the sleeve;
- Replace the locking cap and turn the nut counterclockwise, then tighten it with a wrench.
To read in detail how to change the spool of fishing line on the disc, you can read in the instruction manual of the device.
How to tuck a fishing line into a grass trimmer?
To ensure that the area near the house always looks well-groomed and neat, it must be regularly mowed. Fortunately, modern technology allows you to solve this task without excessive physical effort. Electric grass trimmers are so easy to operate and maintain that even a teenager can mow the grass with their help. The main thing to figure out beforehand how to tuck in the trimmer for grass trimmer line.
How to charge a line trimmer into a grass trimmer?
So, the task before us is to correctly charge the trimmer lines into the grass trimmer. Let’s understand in more detail what to start with and what pitfalls can expect us in the process.
At the very beginning, it is necessary to choose the right line for the trimmer. Although at first glance all the line for trimmer sold on the market or in the store is not much different from each other, you should not buy it at random. Not to err in choice will not be superfluous to bring a package of used fishing line or a small piece of it, or at least write down the model trimmer for grass. The ideal choice for almost all trimmer models will be a line for the trimmer with a thickness of 3-4 mm.
To perform this operation, the grass trimmer must be unplugged and turn the working head upside down. The further course of action depends on the model of grass trimmer and the design of the reel itself:
- For small bottom-mounted trimmers, press the buttons on the sides of the spool and remove the top of the spool from the head;
- For trimmers with a bent boom, clamp the spool body with one hand while turning counterclockwise the wing nut located on the body;
- for straight bar and gearbox trimmers insert a screwdriver in the hole under the spool and then turn the body of the spool counterclockwise.
Step 4. measuring the necessary amount of fishing line
Beginner mowers usually wonder how many meters of line to wind on the grass trimmer spool? There are two ways to solve this issue:
In any case, when you have finished winding it, the coils of fishing line should be on the body of the spool without slipping off the spool. Do not try to reel in as much as possible, because the line for the trimmer will not unwind well and will break more often.
Step 5. winding the line for the trimmer on the spool
How to install fishing line on your grass trimmer depends on the design of the spool. Let’s consider the case when the body of the spool has one outlet for the line for the trimmer. In this case, the end of the line is clamped in the cleft of the spool, and then wind the line for the trimmer, trying to lay the coils as tightly as possible. The direction of laying of coils should be opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil and is usually indicated on its inner part. After winding is finished, it is necessary to put a protective cover on a reel and take out the end of a fishing line in it
If the spool is designed to work with two tails, the line for the trimmer must be folded in half and placed in the slot in the central part of the spool. Further winding will be done with one or two slots, depending on the design of the spool. The winding direction must also be opposite to the direction of rotation of the spool. At the end, the fishing line tails will also need to be led into the holes on top of the spool.
Winding the filament
Filling the line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Once you have determined the length of the cord, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the fishing line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging should begin at the center curb, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into two parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction you want to wind the line for your trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription. This indicates the winding direction. If there are no markings on the bobbin, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind in the opposite direction.
- Carefully thread the consumable material, coil to coil. Try to maintain maximum thread tension.
- After you finish laying the cord, attach the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it in the groove on the side of the reel that fits the diameter. The other end (longer), attach it in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the line for the trimmer, cut the ends. Don’t forget to leave a seam allowance of around 10 cm.
- Fit the threaded spool to the mowing head of the device. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head to then place the device’s bobbin into the skin.
- Using the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. Once this action is complete, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Step-by-step winding of the line on the spool
Wind the cord on the grass trimmer can also be done in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. Replace as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord in the shape of a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin, there should be a hole that is designed to hold the fishing line in place. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- The same steps need to be done for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
How to remove the bobbin from the tool faster
Remove the filament before winding it on the reel. And the way of removing depends on the characteristics of the tool. On trimmers with a motor at the ground itself, the spool has two side buttons that, when pressed, detach part of the body along with the thread winding device.
On tools with a bent bar, the wing nut on the device moves counterclockwise; having disconnected it, remove both the bobbin and the spring inside it. With straight line trimmers use a screwdriver to fix the line, turn it clockwise and remove it. Then the tool can be disassembled either with the help of latches or by moving its parts in different directions. The spring is removed from the reel.
Choosing a line for your trimmer
The line for the trimmer must be strong, rigid and flexible. in the trimmer it serves as a working tool for cutting the grass. Fibers of different thickness from 1,2 mm to 4,0 mm are produced. Most models are designed for a maximum thread thickness of 3 mm. Which line diameter is right for your grass trimmer depends on a number of factors.
Depending on the hardness of the mowed vegetation:
It is important to take into account that too thin thread accelerates wear of the motor, too rough. will accelerate its overheating and premature failure.
The cord structure of the line is important:
- Round line. universal, the strongest line for coarse grass;
- shaped. for soft plants;
- twisted with notches. for thin, long stems.
Important! Always choose lines for your brushcutter in the style and specifications recommended by the brushcutter manufacturer. Such material will work long and well with optimal loads on the motor of the product.
Working with grass trimmers requires a lot of care and attention. Compliance with safety measures during work is mandatory for beginners and experienced craftsmen. It often happens that self-confident trimmers lose vigilance, make irreparable errors and get seriously injured. That’s why it’s important when working with the machine
- Close the lid of the reel with all latches.
- Do not wind more fishing line than it’s supposed to: it’s hard to unwind later.
- After filling up the spool it is absolutely necessary to check the operation of the tool before mowing.
- Choose quality material that is suitable for a particular trimmer.
You should not try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear goggles and appropriate footwear.
Problems with the line
Users of trimmers, both gasoline and electric, sometimes have problems with the cord. “Advanced” mower owners easily cope with the difficulties encountered, understanding why it happens, but for beginners. it is a problem that has no rational explanation. But in fact, everything is solved quite simply. The most common problems that occur with a fishing line are.
If your trimmer fishing line tears frequently, the following could be the cause:
- There are stones, small branches and other hard obstacles in the grass;
- the user mows the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, it will break the “tendrils” even faster;
- The quality of the cords is poor (better quality cords are recommended)
- outlet holes in the mowing head are worn out, causing the line for the trimmer to rub against the sharp edges of the sleeves and break off (a complete replacement of the part will be required).
High cord consumption
Mostly, cords run out fast if the semiautomatic head is frequently bumped on the ground or pressed down hard. The reel is unlocked and the trimmer line is cut by the blade as it lengthens. Another reason the cord runs out fast is that you don’t operate the machine with an automatic head: the user often cuts the engine speed when mowing. But as we remember, the automatic head is designed so that with each decrease in speed a new portion of the line is fed, so it is quickly consumed.
The filament does not hold
The thread sometimes unwinds if the spring in the semiautomatic head is loose. trimmer lines are constantly being pulled out and cut by a blade on the blade guard, that’s why the line consumption increases. To check this, remove the shroud and operate the machine. If the line for the trimmer is “fed”, it will be necessary to replace the spring.
The line for the trimmer flies out
The reason that the cord after starting the unit unwinds, can also serve as a weakening of the spring inside the head. In addition, there are cases where the mowing head breaks when the machine is turned on, and the spring installed in it is lost. Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and assemble this unit without it. The filament is therefore not holding and is ejected by centrifugal force.
Cord doesn’t feed, spool doesn’t rotate
The automatic or semi-automatic head should feed the trimmer line without stopping the machine. But if it doesn’t come out, the following could be the cause:
- the line for the trimmer in the spool is wound incorrectly, which makes the spool not spinning;
- the cord is wound unevenly and the thread can get caught between the coils (the thread must be wound carefully, coil to coil, without twisting)
- The ends of the filament come out of the holes too short, so that there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the line for the trimmer does not feed (it is recommended before starting the machine always to adjust the length of the cord, tightening it a little);
- the line for the trimmer is sticking (to be discussed later).
This problem is often caused by poor-quality filament. When the machine is working, the grass trimmer head heats up, and low-quality lines for the trimmer in it melt, sticking together. Threads also sintering occurs when the line meets a hard obstacle. In this case, there is a sharp braking cord, after which it is pulled into the head, where it is stuck. Some machine owners recommend lubricating the cord with mineral oil or spray it with silicone spray after winding on the bobbin. Others suggest winding less filament on the spool. But it’s better to buy a quality product, which manufacturer has taken into account the factor of overheating of the head, and the thread will not stick.