Ploughing with a power tiller
Working with a power tiller starts with its adjustment. It depends primarily on the area to be plowed, as well as the quality of the soil. Some universal rules will help you set the technique correctly:
- Recommended diameter of the tines is 50-60 cm and width of the tines is 18-20 cm. If the dimensions are smaller than indicated, the technique will not allow you to make an even groove, it will be driven on different sides.
- The tire’s rim should preferably be solid to prevent soil from getting on it.
- The machine has to weigh less than 70 kg, otherwise it would always get stuck.
- The position of the machine itself during ploughing should be such, that its entire base fully touches the soil. Otherwise the plowing depth will be too much, or on the contrary, you won’t be able to plow at all.
- When securing the plough to the hitch, the attachment nuts are not screwed all the way in. That leaves the possibility of further adjustments. With only two pins, the plough can be easily hitched to a hitch.
the single axle tractor pulls to the right
To ennoble the family home, a single-axle tractor is purchased “Neva MB-2B” with a Briggs Stratton Intec IC 6 engine.0 and the blade as “attachment”, and this weekend I was able to try out this single-axle tractor.
There is nothing complicated about assembling the machine, but it is advisable to have a good set of wrenches and screw heads. There are no tools in the kit, except for the useless pendo’s spark plug wrench and screwdriver (by the way, I happened to have a “double” set. still better than nothing).
Tractors, Plows & Harvesters
The instructions for the engine turned out to be “with the jambs”. It is designed for a huge number of different versions of this Intec at once and the pictures with captions depict “Synopsis by” engine. ♪ On ours it turned out that the handle ♪ “Sucker” At startup it has to be turned the other way, and the drawings above it don’t match the manual. It is extremely cool to assemble a single axle tractor, pull the winding handle a few times and get ready morally to load it back into the car and take it to the store. You can’t even load it. It weighs a hundred kilos.
Anyway, one way or another, but the single axle tractor managed to start, with the normal position of the choke it started at the first attempt. It’s about time “go”? У “Neva” two forward gears and one reverse. There is a sticker on the left fender that lists them in this order, from left to right: rear. 2. 1. In this case the left lever position corresponds to the first gear and the right one. to the reverse gear. The sticker seems to refer to the other end of the lever, but it is impossible to understand, and the manual does not say anything. Judging by the discussions “Neva” on the internet, a separate art is adjusting the gearshift knot, when the box is loose, the gears start to engage indistinctly. On a new power tiller, the gears are engaged tightly, with a decent amount of force, they say that then work out. I don’t know, I’ve seen quite “ridden” “Nevu” with an equally tight box. But there is no need to change gears often. it is not a car, “starts” the unit in any gear.
I would like to point out the differences between the American manual for the engine and the domestic manual for the rest of the single axle tractor. The American one is just full of warnings, and after reading it, one gets the impression that while working with this engine one is going to get hurt or killed, especially if the matter is in the State of California (as I understand, there is especially strict environmental legislation). Our warnings are mostly about how you can ruin a single axle tractor. About what can go bad “LANDER”, It is mentioned exactly in one place. where it is strictly forbidden to stick your hands and feet in the rotating cutters.
Tried the single axle tractor on the wheels, it turns out that “walks” it’s too fast. in second gear up to 14 km/h, you literally have to run after it. You have to rearrange the belt on the pulleys to switch to a more normal mode. Once the belt has been repositioned, it is absolutely necessary to adjust its tension while clutch is engaged (the manual says nothing about that). It took me a long time to figure out why the single-axle tractor drives on mills, but it doesn’t want to dig into the ground. It turned out that the belt was slack and began to slip at the slightest load.
By the way, the cutters are collapsible, not riveted, as with imported equipment. If the blade is bent in any way (by a rock or coiled wire, for instance), it can be removed and straightened.
The single axle tractor runs very briskly over the already dug-up ground, there’s no particular difficulty. On a virgin land it is more difficult, especially if there already grew any grass. the moment “correct” of the beginning of plowing we missed. У “Neva” it is possible to disengage the left axle, so it’s easier to turn left. you stop the single axle tractor, disengage the axle, engage the clutch again. and it turns almost on the spot. It is said that it is best to move along the area to be treated in a spiral, from the center to the edges. One way or the other, but a couple of hectares of overgrown with all sorts of grass virgin lands with a power tiller you can plow in about an hour. Sometimes it gets stuck in the pits and starts to slip, and that’s where the reverse helps a lot. Manage with “Neva” it is not very easy, it is quite heavy, when plowing simultaneously virgin and partially cultivated area tends to fall to the side or go somewhere in the wrong place.
У “Neva”, Unlike cultivators, there is a mount for attachments at the front. On it you can hang a mower (for hay, you won’t make a lawn with it), a snowplow or a dozer. In general, it is useful. Together with the blade “Neva” turns into a nanobulldozer, it can not move a huge mountain of sand, but the area is slightly level. By the way, there was an extra handle in the set of the blade (it can turn the blade left-right). In general, I was lucky twice (first time. with a tool).
Of the minor flaws noticed. the engine is very inconvenient to pour oil into, “top” The neck is closed with a non-unscrew cap. No fuel gauge. not even a dipstick. For this “thanks” Americans who lived to put the oil dipstick and filler plug. Overall. I like the machine, it plows quickly, no need to wiggle the shovel. Happy for now, we’ll see what happens next. Already watched a bunch of videos on the Internet in the spirit of “You see, Balaganov, what you can make with a simple Singer sewing machine?”, Which I want to share for “Sync & corrections by n17t01” records.
Here’s a somewhat more traditional application, or “what it looks like”:
And this “alternative producer” (caution, matings):
Latent tank builders build tracked vehicles:
This entry was posted in Blog by Shura Lyuberetsky. You can leave your Комментарии и мнения владельцев there using your user name from your (login via OpenID).
Tags: Why, single axle tractor, drives, sideways, when, driving, with, trailer
How to properly plow with a power tiller?
A single-axle tractor is a universal unit for agricultural work in the homestead or dacha. It can be used to plow the ground, plant and harvest. The purchase of such equipment will greatly facilitate agricultural work.
With the help of power tillers you can do different types of agricultural work. Depending on the size of the cultivated area and the demand for equipment in different areas, the technique gets a light, medium and heavy class.
Such mini-technique is often called a motocultivator. It does not have more than 4 and a half horsepower, so it costs less than medium and large units. The pluses include the light weight of the monobloc and the accessibility of handling awkward areas due to the small grip of the cutter.
The disadvantage is that the low-power motor overheats quickly, which means that this technique can only work for a short time. In addition, the depth of dug-up ground is less than that of a heavy power tiller. In addition, lightweight machines have no mounts for additional equipment.
This technique has a rear drive. Engine power. 5-12 horsepower. The device is capable of working a half-hectare area. A single-axle tractor weighs from 50 to 70 kilograms; a plow and other equipment can be attached to most power tillers in this category.
Such equipment has two gears, equipped with a front headlight. Compared to a heavy power tiller, a medium one is more maneuverable, but the depth of plowing the land with it does not exceed 12 cm. And this is unacceptable for planting some plants
With this kind of equipment one can plow large territories, which are much larger than the area of half a hectare. Engine power is 12-30 horsepower. A heavy power tiller can be attached to a plow, a trailer, an arrow, a potato spudger, and other equipment. With such machines, it is easier and several times faster to work than with light and medium ones. It has adjustable steering wheel, wheels.
The disadvantages include the heavy weight of the model, lack of access to non-standard areas of the surface. Besides, such machines have to turn with effort. As for the types of plows to the power tiller, they are reversible with two bodies, which plow the soil with the help of the mouldboard, or rotary, plowing the soil thanks to the rotating discs.
How to work the ground with a power tiller. Tillage and tillage.
The versatility of use distinguishes all motor blocks, allowing to perform a variety of agricultural works, which the owners of summer cottages and rural houses have to deal with. Various technological operations with a power tiller are performed with a variety of attachments. Working the land with a power tiller means: plowing, ridging, planting and harvesting potatoes and other root crops, weeding and mowing the grass. that is, doing basic farm work.
Why a single-axle tractor runs intermittently?
Among other typical malfunctions of a power tiller, there are also a number of such breakdowns:
- The machine engine hits backward. it indicates the use of low-quality fuel for filling the machine. In this case, not only will you have to replace the fuel, but also carefully flush the fuel pump and fuel hoses;
- the single axle tractor runs jerkily. the reason for this is the insufficient warming up of the engine. Be sure to stop the engine, wait for it to cool down completely, and start the engine again, giving it at least 10 minutes for a complete warm-up;
- The engine of the power tiller doesn’t draw sufficiently, the engine power is reduced. in this case you need to check and, if necessary, clean the air and fuel filter. Another reason for this defect is the deterioration of the magneto-ignition system. It is best to replace the part right away, without trying to repair it.
The owner of both gasoline and diesel power tillers encounters this kind of faults equally often. In any case, it is necessary to stop working with the machine immediately, and fix its failure as soon as possible.
A typical mistake when choosing a power tiller
Many inexperienced farmers when buying a walking tractor for working the soil on their land plot are thoughtlessly guided only by the price and appearance. This approach can lead to breakage of an agricultural unit or inconvenience in its use. Consider the main mistakes when buying a power tiller, and tips to help make the right choice.
- When the future owner of the motorized equipment for land treatment is not guided by the size of his area and types of soil on it. For example, for a summer cottage plot of 6 acres a light class power tiller would be sufficient. Even if it has virgin land, it is better to hire a tractor for plowing once than to buy a heavy machine and have the inconvenience of using it later on a small area.
- When the farmer does not know exactly what attachments he will use. It is necessary to think in advance what tools will be needed in the first place, and do not seek to choose a single-axle tractor with the maximum number of attachments, which then may not be useful. Read specialized forums or watch video reviews by experienced users to make a list of attachments, taking into account the recommendations of the manufacturer.
- it is necessary to choose in advance a model of a tractor from a proven manufacturer whose quality of assembly is unquestionable. Here to help will come reviews and reviews of equipment, you should not rely only on the consultant in the store. If, in the first place, you are guided by the cost when buying, the following disadvantages will appear when using a cheap machine:
- poor quality of metal and plastic;
- greatly overestimated technical characteristics;
- low engine life;
- difficulty in assembling the walking tractor;
- inconvenience and discomfort during operation: increased noise and vibration level, heavy weight, not ergonomic handle without turning and adjusting options.
- If you buy a new single axle tractor in an unofficial store, following the big difference in price, you risk not to get a warranty, service, necessary spare parts and consumables for your gardening equipment. Buy a single axle tractor only from official dealers.
- And also it is necessary to determine which family members will use this technique to cultivate the soil. For example, for the elderly, a light single-axle tractor or cultivator with the maximum number of adjustments will be suitable, which will provide comfort and reduce the load on the back, arms and legs. If a fragile girl or a teenage child will be working on the garden, it is better to give preference to an ultralight cultivator.
How to prepare for work?
Preparing the machine for work involves installing the tines as well as attaching and adjusting the plow.
- Mounting the grousers. These devices are metal wheels with a diameter of up to 60 cm and a width of 17-20 cm. You can also find thinner models on sale, but it is not recommended to buy them. This is due to the fact that with thin hooks it is very difficult to make an even furrow: a single-axle tractor will dangle in different directions and it is quite problematic to cope with it in such conditions. In order to install the shoes the machine should be placed on a flat area, the wheels and rubber tires should be unscrewed and hubs should be removed.
the wheel hubs are put on the drive axles and fastened with bolts and cotter pins.
The hook hubs are somewhat longer than conventional hubs, so using them will increase the track width, making the single axle tractor more stable. Once the wheel hubs are firmly attached, mount the wheel hubs on the tractor axles. When attaching metal wheels, make sure that the tread tapers forward. It is desirable to choose the hooks so that after attaching them the total weight of the machine is more than 70 kg. Otherwise the machine will slip and the processing will be uneven and of poor quality. If you have bought too light hooks you should take care of giving them some additional weight. For this you can buy a set of additional weights, the installation of which will provide the desired weight.
- Setting and adjusting the plough. The plough is secured by means of couplings, which are attached to the machine by means of a kingpin. It is recommended to make the connection between the hitch and the machine with a play of 5-6 degrees. If the plough is fixed stationary, during ploughing it will start to wobble the single axle tractor from side to side, which is caused by unequal impact of the soil on it. It is not recommended to tighten nuts fully when coupling coupling plough with plough. This is because the adjustment process is about to begin, during which you will need to loosen or tighten them more than once.
To make adjustments, the machine has to be placed on bricks or planks stacked on top of each other. The height of such a construction should be the same as the depth of the ploughing and amount to 20-25 cm. The skids should be locked in place, so the machine remains completely motionless. Then the plow is positioned so that the whole length of the board rests on the ground. The plow leg should be perfectly perpendicular to the ground and parallel to the inside face of the hitch.
Then adjust the angle of the plough board, whereby the distance from the nose of the plough (ploughshare) to the heel should be 3 cm. If you do not adjust the tilt, the plow will bury itself in the ground, the engine will overheat, and you will have to stop working. Next adjust the track width. for this purpose align the right edge of the ploughshare with the inside of the right hook.
With this arrangement the soil will be cut absolutely evenly and the machine will be easier to control.
- Starting the machine. Before starting a gasoline or diesel engine, check the oil level and fill the fuel tank. Two-stroke gasoline models run on a mixture of gasoline and motor oil, while the powerful four-stroke “use” pure gasoline brands A-92 and A-95. When filling your power tiller with diesel fuel take the temperature conditions into account and use winter fuel in cold weather. Also before starting, check that the steering wheel, throttle, reverse and clutch are working properly and then start the engine.
To turn on a gasoline engine equipped with a recoil starter, open the tap on the fuel tank and set the choke lever to “Start” mode. Then, without turning on the ignition, make 3 to 5 starter strokes, then turn on the ignition and start the engine. As soon as the engine is running, the choke lever is immediately set to “Operation” mode. For power tillers with an electric starter the engine is even easier to start. To do this, simply turn on the ignition, while the electric pump pumps fuel into the carburetor and the engine starts.
Before starting the diesel engine all the air in the system is kicked out with an electric starter, and after its place will be taken by the diesel fuel, the engine is started. If the motor is equipped with a manual starter, then simply open the fuel tap, set the gas and press the decompressor. Then several strokes of the starter are made, the decompressor falls into place and the engine starts.
Repair: why a single-axle tractor stalls under load, fires in the muffler, malfunctions, and more
The single-axle tractor is one of the most useful farm implements. Even a simple and not particularly powerful machine can significantly facilitate the care of the vegetable garden and yard area. At the same time, a single-axle tractor is the equipment, which is peculiar to break down. Let’s look at the most common breakdowns of the agricultural machine, their causes and methods of elimination by your own forces.
The concept of the plow itself is extremely simple and has not changed since ancient times. Only with a slight difference, earlier horses and a wooden plough were used, but now a single-axle tractor and an iron plough.
They differ, in fact, only in material. Nowadays every man should be able to work with iron and welding.
Therefore, on various forums one can find drawings of plows that were made. Discusses the concept and any shortcomings of it or amendments that may affect the final result. And, in the end, people get what they want, and the result is quite good.
And the most patient people make a step by step video instruction on how to make a plow with their own hands at home.
As a result, they manage to assemble a design that is absolutely as good as an industrially produced plough. And often superior, because what is done with their own hands is always better than the bought.
The multifunctional power tiller can perform a wide range of works in the field, dacha and vegetable garden. Together with the device, various types of attachments are used, which help to quickly and qualitatively carry out the processing of arable land and virgin. The most common tillage tool is the plough. Instructions on how to prepare it for work and how to plow it properly are described in our article.