How to remove the grass trimmer spool; The grass trimmer’s mowing head
Before you change the filament, you must first detach the brushcutter’s mowing head from the spool of filament. This element is attached to the end of the stick of your grass trimmer and is removed by unscrewing it in the direction in which the arrow on the spool points.
After removing the mowing head with the spool, you need to open it. The first thing to do is to locate the locking mechanism on the bobbin. It is part of the spool and represents itself as 2 clips, pushing on which you can open the spool and get to the place where you want to wind the line.
Open the mowing head and take out the filament winding spool
You can open the reel either by hand or by using a screwdriver or other tools to pry open the fasteners.
Let’s wind up the filament
Slowly completed disassembly of the bobbin-spool without losing its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding the fishing line in the bobbin. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of.
Spool with one working spool pin
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the spool and the length of the original spool determine the recommended filament length for reeling in: 2 to 5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole inside the bobbin.
- The fishing line is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inside of the reel an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is conducted.
- A small piece of line is left free to be wound outside and is locked into a groove on the inside of the bobbin to hold it in place while the bobbin is assembled in place.
- The leftover end of the fishing line is threaded through the hole on the outside of the spool.
- The halves of the reel are assembled and put on the rod of the trimmer.
Dewalt string trimmer line replacement SUPER Easy you can do it 20V or 40V
Reel with two operating tendrils
In this type of bobbins, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases, a 2-3 m length of fishing line is used. In single-strand spools the line is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, then reeled in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the rod inside with an arrow usually indicates the correct reeling direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the line are pushed through or held by fingers of free hand, put into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and attached to the trimmer’s bar.
The difference of winding the line in a double-channel spool is that initially a piece of line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both fishing line tendrils are wound each on its own groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the single groove version discussed above.
The first performance of this procedure may seem long and quite time-consuming, but with time and experience, this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will visually show how to thread the line into the grass trimmer reel and wind it correctly. this operation is not very complicated and with some patience will certainly succeed:
How to wind a line on a grass trimmer reel. preparation
The grass trimmer reel is located in the mowing head, which consists of a spring, a reel and two covers.
- The first action is to disassemble and remove the grass trimmer head. To do this, press the catches on the sides of the housing as far as they will go and turn them clockwise.
- To open the mowing head press the side latches, if you can’t do it by hand, you can use a screwdriver. Remove the spool.
- To find the right line for your grass trimmer, look on the inside for the number designations. The numbers indicated indicate the diameter of the line you need in millimeters.
- If you have not found this information, you can determine the maximum diameter by taking the line and putting it through the hollow. The thread should run freely back and forth.
- There are two ways of winding the fishing line, let’s consider each of them in detail.
What is needed to replace the cord
If you use the grass trimmer regularly to cut the grass, the discs will blunt, but they can be sharpened and continue to be used. But fishing line tends to finish in a reel, so it is necessary to refill a new one, and for this you need to determine the type of head and prepare the cord of necessary thickness and length.
So a mowing head is a cylindrical body housing a bobbin with a fishing line. Such a detail is present both on electric trimmers, and on gasoline mowers of any brand, whether Bosch, Makita, STIHL or other brand. There are three types of heads depending on how the line is threaded and fed.
- The principle of operation of automatic heads is that they feed the line by themselves when the mower reduces the engine speed. Such constructions are convenient when working on large areas, but have the disadvantage of high cord consumption.
- Semi-automatic heads are easy to operate. automatic line feed is at maximum engine speed. To release the cord lock, you need to gently tap the tool on the ground, after which the unlocked thread slides out of the spool. The right length is determined by the blade on the blade guard.
- Grass trimmers with manual cord feed must be turned off beforehand, and then pull out the fishing line by yourself.
Note! The most convenient and best priced are semi-automatic cord reels.
Reels for electric and gasoline power and gasoline-powered scythes can be one or two lines. The former are used for trimming low grass growth, the latter for mowing tall grass and small shrubs.
What kind of line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for filling in the grass trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. A normal round line is not the only one available. How to choose the most suitable? The first step is to determine the working conditions.
Choice by type. A fishing line with a circular cross section is the most common. It will fit on any spool with very few exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for mowing fresh, succulent grass. But when mowing so called “dead wood” this kind of thread can not cope any more. Attempts to mow shrubs with this type of thread are needless to say the least.
In addition to the usual line there are others, with sharp edges. Usually they are made in “star” or “square” patterns. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and the key difference between these threads.
It is thanks to this feature, the threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But pointed thread is not without disadvantages, the main of which can be called a rapid wear and durability, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the types of fishing line already mentioned, there are other interesting and common varieties. Particularly noteworthy among them are fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. This type of filament is often used in gasoline-powered tools that have an engine with more than one and a half horsepower.
Metallic core filaments come in both circular and sharp-edged versions. Regardless of the cross section type, this type of thread is the best way to overcome hard-to-cut plants. Threads belonging to this type, with ease mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
Filaments with wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible durability. But unfortunately, this feature has more than a noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of threads with a core is much higher than other types of threads.
Choosing by thickness
You should also pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter in the range of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser the weeds it can handle.
When choosing a line by thickness, there is a “but”. It is important not just to assess the capabilities of the material, but also take into account the peculiarities of the grass trimmer. It is necessary to look into the user manual, which comes with the tool, and find information about the requirements to the cutting element.
Using the wrong kind of thread can lead to tool failure. Using too thick a thread will overload the engine of the device. And the use of too thin a thread will increase the wear and tear of the torque mechanism at times.
That’s why the choice of consumable material must be approached with no less responsibility than its threading in the grass trimmer. Once a suitable line has been found and purchased, we can discuss how to wind it on the spool.
Choosing a fishing line
In order to easily wind the fishing line on the grass trimmer spool, it is worth deciding what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread is inserted in the head, the harder the tasks it can perform. It should be noted that often universal thread is used, the width of which does not exceed 2 mm. You, in turn, can determine the size by using the following methods:
- read the information in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Check the suitability of the line for use on their own by trying to insert it into the hole of the spool;
- examine the bobbin for information on the diameters allowed for use.
Selection of line for threading in the grass trimmer reel can be made by type of motor. For example, an excessively thick thread can affect the increase in rotational resistance. Because of this the load on the motor will increase, which will certainly affect the quality and durability of its further operation.
Avoiding negative consequences is not difficult. For this purpose, it is necessary to take into account that for electric motors with power up to 500 W, a line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm is ideal. If you can’t get that kind of line, you can use 1.6mm cord. String with a diameter of 2 mm is used, in turn, for engines with more than 1 kW. It’s worth noting that 2 mm cord is often used to wind up a bent mower. If the gasoline device has a straight shaft, you should use a thread of 2.5 or 3 mm. The thickest lines are mounted exclusively on devices with power equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last, but not least, is the type of line. When choosing it, you should be guided by the tasks set for the garden tool. There are several in-demand cross-sectional options:
- Twisted. has a low safety margin, so it is only suitable for young grass;
- serrated. characterized by sharp edges, suitable for work in overgrown areas of weeds;
- Round is the most common cross-section. These lines work well with fresh grass, but are not good for shrubs and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped types. due to their low strength are used for working on lawns.
The strongest and most versatile cord is a two-piece cord with a circular cross section, with a core inside. This is the kind of thread that is suitable for most jobs. It should be remembered that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire and other third-party materials as cord carries a danger to others.
trimmer for grass gasoline
Small mobile devices for cutting grass and young branches, consisting of a rod, motor, cutting part and handle are called trimmers.
The design of the bezinotrimmer is simple, it is easy to disassemble, in case of need
There are electric and gasoline modifications. The first ones are not fueled, but they depend on the length of the cord. The latter work regardless of the availability of electricity, in any point of the garden or vegetable garden.
Gasoline grass trimmers are lighter and cheaper than lawn mowers. They cope with grass and bushes, so such mowers are used at home and on an industrial scale. For convenience, the technique has straps that are worn on the shoulder. less strain on your arms and back.
Grass trimmer line winding technology
Once the spool is removed and disassembled, the line can be wound. If there is only one tendril sticking out of the spool, everything is simple. You need to unwind 2-4 meters of fishing line, this is half a skein of fishing line you bought in the store, find a hole on the inside of the spool fixing the line, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the opposite direction of rotation of the spool on the trimmer.
An arrow on the inside of the spool usually shows which way to wind the line. Having wound the line, we leave a small piece of it to put it through the round hole of the spool. This piece is fixed in a special groove, located on the inside of the spool, designed to ensure that at the time of assembly of the spool the fishing line does not unwind. If there is no such groove, you will have to hold the line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during further collection of the spool. Next, we take the other part of the spool and pass the remaining piece of fishing line through the existing hole. After that, you can assemble the spool and put it back on the grass trimmer.
How to wind the line correctly on the grass trimmer spool?
The grass trimmer, bought in the store, is already ready to work. a standard capron fishing line is tucked into it. It cuts the grass, but it copes with the work poorly. it quickly fails and mows only young, thin plants. Old grass and weeds with hardened stems it does not take at all or cuts with difficulty, quickly wearing down. It lasts only a short time, after which you must replace the line in the trimmer.
It is not recommended to use fishing line, it is better to take a special thread with a core of fiberglass. It’s sold in construction stores. Opt for the version that has a square or triangle cross section, their sharp edges will work as knives.
Consumption of lines for grass trimmer with faceted and reinforced consumable material is reduced by 2-3 times, the same amount of productivity increases compared to the round section of line and a line not reinforced with fiberglass.
Purchase the material with a diameter no smaller than that recommended by the manufacturer. If you do not know the diameter, look at the size of the holes on the external housing of the mowing head: the diameter of the working thread should be slightly less than the hole to go through it freely.
Buy enough cutting thread (for 2-3 changes), try to buy different versions to compare which one will work best.
Once you know how much material you need for one winding, be guided in the length of the fishing line when you next buy it, so that no pieces are left too short for winding.
To replace the fishing line on the mechanical mower with your own hands, you need to disassemble the mowing head and take out the spool, on which the working thread is wound.
Take the spool off the weed trimmer
On small electric grass trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when it is near the ground when working), the spool usually has two keys on the sides. We press them and disconnect one half of the spool body from the second half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part, on which the line is wound directly, is also removed. Be careful when disassembling: there is a spring inside that can come out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a bent boom (there is still no possibility to put a knife on such trimmers) it is necessary to embrace the body of the spool itself with one hand, and with the second hand you need to start turning counterclockwise the winglet available on it. It is he who attaches the spool to the grass trimmer bar. With the thumbscrew unscrewed, gently remove the entire coil, taking care not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight boom and reducer on its end (in such trimmers for grass in addition to the line can also be installed and a knife) are looking for a hole under the spool, insert it, for example, screwdriver, quietly turn the spool until the screwdriver will not get even deeper, and the spool will be secured. Now turn the entire spool clockwise (since the thread is left) and remove it from the grass trimmer. Next we disassemble the spool. It can be assembled with snap fasteners or twisted with a wingnut. If the coil is on the latches, push down on the sides of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We simply unscrew the knob. There can also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a coil: in this case you need to grasp the lower part with one hand and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a reel, one should also take care not to lose the spring inside it.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the spool, we proceed, actually, to winding.
What kind of line is used for grass trimmer?
The fishing line comes in several kinds:
- The most durable is the rounded one;
- For mowing soft vegetation. shaped;
- For mowing thin grass. with notches;
- Special. Suitable for certain types of grass trimmers.
Type of cutting thread section should correspond to the vegetation to be mowed.
How to Wind a Trimmer Head
If it is necessary to change the line, you must pick up exactly the kind recommended by the manufacturer of this particular model of trimmer for grass, that is, the thickness of the cutting thread must fit the power of the engine and the size of the unit.
It is better to choose a specialized cutting thread. It is worth soaking the fishing line for a while, if it is planned to replace it in the spool.
After soaking, it becomes elastic and stronger.
The cutting filament can be made of different components. The most common among them. nylon.
This material has a high degree of wear resistance, the ability to withstand various temperatures and high loads.
Nylon fishing line can be stored for a long time, it does not dry out or lose its strength.
Therefore, its service life can be quite long.
Reels or heads for trimmers have different structures:
- Single string. In the modification of such a trimmer for grass there is only one working line. This machine is mainly used for small jobs such as trimming grass.
- Double Stringed. Can be both automatic and semi-automatic. Here the set includes two strings. This grass trimmer is used for mowing and clearing areas.
Instructions on how to properly wind the cutting filament on the grass trimmer spool:
- The first thing to do is to disassemble the head. To do this, press the latch and turn the lid to the side. Next, the bobbin is removed.
- Measure the right amount of cutting thread and insert it into the slot.
- Wind the line on both sides in the direction of the arrow.
- The 15 cm long ends should be left uncoiled.
- These ends are inserted into opposite slots.
- Then the ends are fastened in the hole on the head.
- Then carefully insert the bobbin into the body, to do this, you need to gently press on it.
- If necessary, the remaining ends of the thread can be pulled out. To do this, pull first one end of the thread and then the other so that they can easily pass through the slots in the head.
- Now you should assemble the grooves on the body and screw the cover.
- Then press the bobbin and try to turn it as far as it will go. When you hear a “click” sound, the bobbin has clicked into place.
- Then the loose ends of the thread should be pulled out to the end.
Method 1. how to wind the line correctly or put it on a spool and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to prepare the necessary length of fishing line in advance (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the spool. There is a simple way to figure out how much fishing line you need to charge the spool. To do this, you should wind the line inside the spool until it is flush with the side tabs. The accessory must not protrude beyond these outermost projections.
The thicker the equipment used, the shorter its length will be needed, and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the piece will be needed.
Instructions on how to correctly tuck the tooling into the tip of the grass trimmer or brushcutter is as follows:
- To begin, the piece of fishing line that has been prepared to be spooled into the reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
- After that, the second end is taken from the other side, and bent in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is retained
- In the inner partition of the spool there is a slit, into which the resulting loop should be entered. The slot in the wall is shown in the photo below
- Next, find out the winding direction of the line. If you wind the line in the wrong direction, it will not function properly and will require redoing. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the reel. It should indicate the winding direction (in 99% of cases this direction is indicated). How the direction indicator on the spool looks like is shown in the photo below
- This pointer in the form of an arrow may also have the designation, as in the example above “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If there is no arrow pointer on the spool, then you need to look at the head. The head has a turn direction, and to wind the line correctly, wind it on the reel in the opposite direction of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the lead, then wind it in this direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should proceed to winding. Guide each end in its own groove. If there is no divider, the tooling must be laid in the appropriate distributive order
- When almost all line is wound on the reel you need to do the following. place the short part, which should protrude up to 10-15 cm in the hole in the side wall of the steering tube, and then do the same procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- Insert the spool into the head, pre-passing the ends of the line into the holes of the drum
- Set the reel in place and, pulling the ends of the fishing line, disengage them from meshing with the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, the cover can be put on until the latch engages
- This completes the process of how to replace the line on the trimmer, and if necessary, you can only trim the ends (if their length is not satisfactory), and install the reel in assembled form on the tool
There is no problem at all with putting the drum into position. There is also a second way to charge the mowing attachment into the brushcutter. What is different, and how the second method of threading the line on the brushcutter spool, let’s find out in detail.