lawn trimmer. Types and construction. Work and how to choose. Safety
Garden equipment, which will be discussed, consists of four main elements: the engine (electric or gasoline), a long boom, control handles, cutting head. Due to differences in translation, these devices often appear under different names: grass trimmer, grass mower, lawn mower, electric lawn mower, electric mower, haymower and even lawn mower. It makes a mess. Lawn mower. a device for lawn care, the main purpose is to maintain the neat appearance of the lawn.
The term electric lawnmower contains references to two types of engines at once. gasoline and electric, which is also not quite right. In fact, all types of scythes more logical to call trimmers for grass, which are divided into electric (electric mowers), gasoline (brushcuts or lawn mowers) and battery.
There is also no mistaking that the grass trimmer is a tool for creating decorative turf. To mow the area inaccessible to the lawnmower trimmer can. But a smooth mowing of the lawn with a grass trimmer is unlikely. Processed in this way the lawn in appearance will be inferior to the result of working with a wheeled mower. But it is easy and pleasant to mow through weeds with a weed trimmer.
How to start a string trimmer, starting a weed eater is easy if you know how
Incorrect cord choice
If you choose the wrong line for the trimmer, it will often break. It doesn’t hurt the trimmer, but changing filament takes time and effort. Filament thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm.
Do not take the thickest one at once in the hope that it will tear less often. The 0.5 kW grass trimmer works well with 1.6 mm thick cord, for 1 kW you should take a 2 mm thick trimmer line. Cords over 3 mm are used in gasoline trimmers.
For grass trimming it is better to choose a line for the trimmer with a multifaceted section. work with such cord is faster, less damage is caused to the grass stems, and the plant does not dry out.
Polygonal and square lines tear more often, but they are more effective.
Electric Grass/String Trimmer GH900 Black and Decker
Preparing to Change a Filament
Before changing a line, you must remove and then disassemble the head. It usually includes a casing, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with a fishing line, a cover. You need to unplug the electric grass trimmer (or turn off the gasoline one), then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, you need to completely disassemble the head, and in the second. just remove it from the gearbox shaft, to which it is attached.
- Under the cover there is a bobbin, it must be carefully pulled out of the body (sometimes a spring is hidden under it, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose it);
- after removing the bobbin, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes visible in the center of the body, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- after removing the fasteners, you need, holding by the body, by rocking movements remove the spool from the shaft of the reducer.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, you need to determine how thick the cord should be. To find out the correct diameter for your grass trimmer, you can look in the user manual or on the bobbin itself, usually it shows similar information. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the string goes without difficulty, it can be used for work.
As a side note! To understand how much fishing line to wind for the spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the height of the skein was not greater than the diameter of the sides. If the cord protrudes over the edges, the coil cannot be hidden in the shroud.
What can be used instead of a fishing line
Many trimmer users wonder what can replace the cord, which is used by default in this kind of machines? They start to make unsafe experiments by installing metal or copper wire, metal ropes or strings, and also ordinary fishing line for trimmer in the mowing head.
If a metal wire is installed instead of a fishing line, the grass trimmer becomes a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the machine, the steel wire will gradually be triggered, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions with great speed.
The only difference is that pieces of steel or copper wire are larger and can cause serious injury.
And if you accidentally catch your or someone else’s foot when working with a device with a steel cord (wire), then a strong and deep tissue incision, and in some cases even amputation of toes you are sure. the manufacturer does not use nylon for nothing, because it is light and strong enough, and when broken it does not fly away and cannot cause injury.
Use fishing line for trimmer in the trimmer instead of the standard one, of course, it is possible, but it will add you extra trouble, because it wears out quickly, tears, mows slowly and for cutting tough grass is not suitable. While working, you waste a lot of time replacing a broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of an ordinary fishing line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if it is made of Rabitz chain-link. In such a case, in order to save the standard and sometimes expensive cord from wear and tear, it is replaced by a fishing line for trimmer, which is not sorry. Usually, to change the cord on the line for the trimmer, it is necessary to pick up the greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
How to wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer or brushcutter mowing head
The video shows in detail how to wind the trimmer line on the grass trimmer or brushcutter spool. Filling the mower line.
In this article, we figured out how to wind the trimmer line onto the grass trimmer spool. And if you’ve done everything correctly, it should pull out again when you press and hold the bobbin. line for trimmers for grass trimmers. a very important element, without which the tool loses its functionality. This is essentially the heart of the grass trimmer. Therefore, buy in a specialized store of garden equipment and approach the choice with special attention. Buying a new line for the trimmer, be sure to compare it with a piece of the old used cutting element.
How the lawnmower carburetor works or how it works
Adjusting the carburetor of a Chinese lawnmower is completely identical to the adjustment of grass mowers of European, Russian and manufacturers. To perform the task of adjusting the carburettor on petrolmowers and petrol trimmers, it is necessary to understand the principle of their functioning. How the carburetor on the chain saw works, step by step and easily described below.
- The operation of the lawnmower carburetor begins with the fuel supply through the channel, as shown in the diagram
- fuel is sucked into the carburettor through a pulse channel connected to the engine crankcase. The flexible diaphragm in number 4 in the diagram above is displaced by the rarefaction of the air
- The fuel flows through valves 3 and 5. Valve 3 is the inlet valve that brings fuel into the diaphragm chamber and valve 5 is the outlet valve
- Fuel then moves along the channel and, passing the fine filter, reaches the needle valve 14
- Needle valve is connected to the pilot diaphragm by means of a lever 18
- Needle valve is actuated by acting on the diaphragm. When it is necessary to prime the fuel to start the engine, the hand pump soft cap must be actuated. When the valve is actuated the needle is opened and the chamber is filled with fuel mixture
- When the engine is started (cold) the needle is opened by a negative pressure with the choke closed. This vacuum acts through the idle and high speed nozzles on the diaphragm 18
- The diaphragm acts on the needle valve through the lever and the chamber is filled
- After starting the engine, the air damper opens, resulting in the engine running on a lean mixture, as fuel is mixed with air
- Fuel mixture with full chamber is fed (sucked) through nozzles of idling and average speed (when the engine is started)
- The butterfly valve moves from the original position by 10-15 degrees
- When the work is carried out under load, the fuel begins to flow into the chamber through the nozzle at high speed, and the throttle valve is rotated to an angle of up to 90 degrees (depending on the force of pressing the gas). In all operating conditions the air damper must be open, which mixes the fuel with the air and ignites the mixture in the cylinder
The diagram below shows the principle of the lawnmower carburetor. On the basis of the diagram, you can not only understand the principle of operation, but also identify breakdowns and other malfunctions of the mechanism.
When operating the tool, you need to consider the presence of another joker. This jammer is between the no-load and full power ports. It is necessary in order to avoid a strong depletion of the mixture, which occurs when the engine operates at partial load. In such a situation, the occurrence of scoring of the pair is not excluded. The extra air channel (nozzle) sucks fuel into the combustion chamber and thereby enriches the fuel-air mixture. The diagram below shows an additional nozzle, which is marked with the number 1.
With an understanding of the construction of the brushcutter membrane carburetor and the principle of operation, it is not difficult to perform its adjustment with your own hands. Adjustment screws are used to adjust the lawn mower carburetor. The diagram above shows two screws for adjustment, but most modern models of gasoline trimmers are equipped with three screws. Having three adjustment screws allows you to make more precise adjustments, while achieving stable and uninterrupted engine operation.
This is interesting!What’s the difference between a trimmer and a chain saw? Many people think that grass trimmers are low-powered electric mowers. However, a grass trimmer is a generalized name for gasoline lawnmowers, brushcutters and electric mowers, as they are designed for common purposes.
How to mow grass with a trimmer with a metal blade
As you push the edge of the mowed area, also move the fuel and bag.
If the grass is dead: you need to drive forward and mow to the left tilted behind the handles to the left (sector ~11 hours) and to the right tilted behind the handles to the right (sector ~1 hour), and do not hurry!, To mow the grass cleanly and not to “dig” the ground.
When mowing the grass (and turning around), remember to look around!:
- To notice the gesticulation of others, to turn off the engine and take off the headphones,
- To keep children, animals, spectators, and helpers within 15 meters, t.к. When a metal blade collides with a stationary object in the grass, the grass trimmer or lawnmower (brushcutter) can swing strongly to the side or backward, and the grass trimmer blade rotates at up to 10,500 rpm. and he is able to cut off an arm or a leg.Also, when mowing grass with a trimmer various objects can fly out from under the blade and ricochet (chips, glass, debris).
How to mow grass with a trimmer (more about mowing techniques)
Engine speed when mowing with a trimmer is set depending on the load on the engine. the thicker the grass and of course heavier the engine, the bolder you have to open the “hole” (the throttle in the carburetor diffuser).
Try to keep the engine RPM during grass mowing with a trimmer at a constant value (slightly above average). or less throttle only depending on overall engine load. Do not completely let off the gas (and immediately start up again) with each swing of the mower. So clutch “burn” not long, and the edge on the drive shaft can “overtake,” and the total wear and tear trimmer for grass (brushcuts) dramatically increased.
Before you mow the grass, find out the parameters of the site
(to know which blades to take, how much fuel and time)
- how dense the grass is
- the hardness of the grass;
- the density of the grass;
- Grass entanglement;
- (the height and thickness of the grass are not important)
- the boundaries of the area;
- what bumps (how to go in);
- presence of hidden obstacles (to remember)
- what not to cut (bushes, flowers, seedlings).
Cutting grass in summer is a disaster, not just a chore how to use a trimmer. If your yard or plot is heavily overgrown with grass, you may be intimidated by it, but this part of the article will help you understand how to mow grass with a trimmer easier and less annoying.
Let’s get to work
Before beginning work check all fasteners and tighten them if necessary. Put on the backpack strap and tighten the adjusting tighteners.
Then put the mower on a firm, flat surface and make sure the cutter does not touch anything.
Then turn the choke knob to the “OFF” position and set the switch on the knob to the “I” position.
Before starting for the first time, you can pump the operating mixture into the starting system by pressing the soft hemisphere of the valve under the air filter several times.
Hold the mower stationary with your left hand and with your right hand pull the starter cord sharply.
The engine may not start the first time, in which case you should try again.
After the engine has started, turn the throttle knob to the “ON” position.
It is advisable to let the unit idle before operating.
If it is necessary to start the barker immediately after stopping the engine, you should not close the throttle before starting.
To start the mowing process attach the mower to the unloading strap with a carabiner and, by pulling the trigger, start mowing, applying the grass movement “right-left” (when using a mowing head. “left-right”).
There is a button on the handle of the grasshopper next to the switch that can be used to jam the trigger and operate the tool without any extra effort.
The plane of the cutting tool must be parallel to the ground.
During work, it is imperative to observe safety rules and to dress according to the requirements. for eye protection glasses are used, it is necessary to wear boots with non-slip soles, hands must be protected with gloves, and against noise headphones can be used.
To stop the engine simply place the switch on the handlebar to the “0” position.
In case of an unsuccessful attempt all the above described manipulations on the check of the candle are carried out. Do not forget about a small nuance. Before installing a new spark plug, it is necessary to dry the combustion chamber well.
Next you need to close the air damper on the engine and start the starter. Then you open the air inlet and pull the starter grip a few times. This process is repeated until the tool is running. And in case of failure you should apply to a master.