What the instructions say
Not every manual covers this issue, but here, for example, in the manual for the Metabo WP 850 angle grinder black and white it says:
There are also diagrams in all the manuals for Metabo angle grinders:
The main drawing on the cover of all Metabo grinder manuals also hints at this:
Which way the angle grinder unscrews
In its classic version, an angle grinder is a hand-held power tool with an abrasive wheel for machining the joints of flat metal surfaces. But with this uncomplicated mechanism you can also cut sheet metal, fittings, ceramic tile.
The abrasive compressed by the nut can eventually be destroyed. This will require:
In the first place, the disk, clamped in an angle grinder, break the hands. Then use pliers or narrow-nose pliers to break off the remnants of abrasive material from under the clamp. Next, remove the jammed part of the disc. To do this, a piece of metal is clamped in a vice. Run the power tool along the edge of the plate between the nut. This removes the remains of the disc, and after the clamp should easily unscrew by hand.
As you can see, in order to unscrew the unyielding retainer nut from the angle grinder there are many effective ways. When dismantling, it is only important to be careful not to damage the power tool.
How to loosen angle grinder disk that is stuck. (jammed)
A frequent problem with an angle grinder is a jammed nut. The first thing to do in such a situation is to determine the direction of disc rotation. It is recommended to unscrew the jammed nut in the same direction. There are several the most effective ways to solve this problem.
- Use a socket wrench and a socket head. To do this, you need to grind down 4 millimeters on the surface of the wrench, which has 17 millimeters. On the head of the 24 millimeter end, four protrusions must be milled to match the holes in the flange nut. Then place the wrench under the disc, and place the head of the face on the nut of the angle grinder. Then use a ratchet to turn it in the direction of the disc rotation.
- Use a gas wrench. Knowing the laws of physics and using a gas wrench, you can increase the torque, because the length of the arm will increase.
But don’t apply too much force, because you can crush the flange and damage the spindle lock.
How To Free Up An Angle Grinder Disc That’s REALLY Stuck
- Use a torque wrench. If set in chisel mode without rotation function, it operates like a jackhammer. Place the six-millimeter bit on the flange face and start working. Once the nut is loose, it can be easily unscrewed with the special angle grinder wrench.
- Heating. If the nut is heated with a hot air gun or a gas torch, the metal becomes more compliant. You only have to unscrew the nut with a wrench. But in the process of heating it is necessary to take care not to damage plastic parts and gearbox.
- Crushing the disk is an easy and quick way to undo a jammed flange nut without using a wrench. It implies a complete crumbling of the disk. Use a hacksaw or pliers for this purpose. When only the inner ring is left of the grinding wheel, clamp an unnecessary metal plate in a vice (its thickness should not exceed the thickness of the disk). Next, you need to start the angle grinder and grind abrasive to the seat sleeve. Remember to wear protective goggles and gloves when doing this. Then just unscrew the flange nut by hand.
An easy way to unscrew a jammed nut
And now, let’s look at the most gentle way to unscrew the jammed nut on the angle grinder. I will not say that this method is a panacea from such a problem, but of all the existing options it is the best. First, you need to find a piece of metal up to 1mm thick. I recommend taking a plate that will be even thinner, about 0.8 mm. It must be clamped in a vice. The size of this product does not play a special role. Whatever you have on hand, that’s what you take. The main parameter is the thickness. If you take metal thicker than 1 mm, it won’t work. Next, you need to break off the rest of the disk. Most likely, a piece came off of it anyway. To do this, you can use your hands or ordinary pliers. It is necessary that one nut is left and the rest of the disk is not visible. You should get it like in the photo. There is only a small part of the abrasive disk, which is sandwiched between the two nuts. We need to remove it as well. Next, it is necessary to insert the metal plate very carefully between the two nuts, where we have a piece of disc left. So we start cutting. Now you see why the metal should be thinner than the disk itself, clamped in the angle grinder. After some time, the remains of the disk will simply wear off. You will feel this immediately, after which you need to unplug the angle grinder. After such manipulation, the nut on the angle grinder unscrew even by hand. It is very important to clamp the metal sheet exactly in a vise. Do not hold it in your hand under any circumstances. Safety is most important. Yes, and the nut gets very hot during this process, keep that in mind.
WARNING. If you want to know more about woodworking tools and what you can do with them, take a look at this link.
What to do if the nut is jammed?
A frequent problem with the angle grinder is a jammed nut. The first thing to do in such a situation is to determine the direction of rotation of the disc. In the same direction and it is recommended to unscrew the jammed nut. There are several most effective ways to solve this problem.
- Use a socket wrench and a socket head. To do this, you need to grind down 4 millimeters on the surface of the wrench, which has 17 millimeters. Center four protrusions in the 24 millimeter head face that align with the flange nut holes. Then the crescent wrench is placed under the disk, and the head face is placed on the nut of the angle grinder. Then use a ratchet to turn it in the direction of the disc rotation.
- Use a gas wrench. Knowing the laws of physics and using a gas wrench, you can increase the torque because the arm length will increase.
But do not use too much force, because you could crush the flange and damage the spindle lock.
An angle grinder or angle grinder is a universal tool that can be used for a wide range of applications. It has a simple mechanism of action, based on the rotation of the shaft with an electric motor. It is necessary for cutting of metal parts, polishing of surface and grinding of different materials. One of the frequent problems during the operation of the angle grinder is nicking the nut that holds the disc. This does not allow you to replace the nozzle, and with a strong impact can damage its threads, break the key or break the housing.
The pincer must be removed and to do it correctly, you need to know how it bites. There is an opinion that ticks do not stick their heads in like mosquitoes, but screw into the skin like screws. Yes, exactly, screwed in, and in a clockwise direction. Accordingly, to get rid of the pincer, it must be unscrewed (counterclockwise).
If we are talking about “ratchet” in the vast majority of cases it is unscrewed counterclockwise, but the thread on the valve can be left and right, the gas cylinders are different.
How to remove the grinding wheel from the angle grinder: expert advice
To understand how to remove a grinding wheel quickly and without damage, read the advice of experts. Take note of the following important knowledge to help you accomplish your task
How to Change a Grinder Wheel | 4 Different Ways
- Place a rag or cloth in the hole of the grinding wheel so that it will not spin when the nut on the angle grinder is loosened;
- Do not overtighten the nut and control the effort you apply. The spinning wheel should hold the nut well and firmly;
- Use oil to lubricate the shaft to make it easier to replace the wheel;
- if the nut is too tight, use a hammer with which you can apply some force and unscrew the nut;
- check the condition of the grinding wheel. Experts advise simply tapping on it with a metal tool. If there is a muffled sound, it indicates a breakdown. A ringing sound is an indicator of a serviceable disc;
- After replacing the sanding discs, be sure to check the operation of the angle grinder from the side of the tool. Eliminate possible injuries;
- Read the instruction manual carefully. It contains a lot of useful information that will help you properly use a bench grinder, including replacing the wheel;
- the way of unscrewing the nut depends largely on the type of angle grinder, the peculiarities of its design.
Peorator or impact drill
Honestly, not the best and easiest option to unscrew the jammed nut on the angle grinder, but it is used if other ways don’t work. As an attachment for a drill or perator requires a drill with a suitable diameter, most often 6 mm. If you use a drill, you need to put it in jackhammer mode beforehand. it is better to fix the angle grinder in a vise, clamp the spindle stop, insert the drill into one of the holes in the clamping nut with the stop in the unscrewing direction, and briefly press the “Start” button. This method allows you to move even a severely clamped flange. The disadvantage is that you can break the mounting holes for a standard wrench this way.