What to cut mineral wool
If we talk about the industrial scale, then for cutting this material special machine equipment is used. And here at home as a cutting tool can be used:
CUTTING of ROCKWOOL Comfortboard 80 vs XPS Foam
- an assembly knife;
- A hacksaw for wood or metal;
- A kitchen serrated knife for cutting loafa;
- Special tools: blade in stainless or carbon steel. The latter type is used to cut mineral wool of different types, is distinguished by its sharpness and good cutting.
Of course, in the process of cutting you will need an additional tool such as: a pencil, a ruler, with which you will make a marking.
To insulate the house with the mineral wool, it is cut by cutting the material lengthwise and crosswise. For each type of cut has its own rules, following which the work to do much easier.
Longitudinal cutting of the material
mineral wool in rolls should be cut without unpacking. Lay the roll on a hard, even surface. Measuring tape measure the required length. Marks are placed in three places on the circumference of the package. The place of the cut, for accuracy, wrap the molar tape.
Then take a saw and saw the mineral wool roll in a circle. After separating the cut piece, the wrapping film should be removed.
Important. Painting tape should be wrapped around the roll on the opposite side from the workpiece, so that after cutting the rest of the roll will not unwind.
Cutting across the material
For cross-cutting, the mineral wool roll is unpacked. Make a marking on both sides. Then a level bar is attached: a ruler, a piece of profile or a bar.
Use a knife or a hacksaw to cut along the strip. If it was not possible to cut the insulation in one movement, the cut is repeated several times. The material is cut all the way to the end so it does not have to tear off, in this case the geometry will be broken. It is necessary to cut the insulation evenly.
Important. When the insulation material is cut, a board is put under it to prevent the bluntness of the knife.
Operating features of basalt wool
Basalt and other rocks of its group are used for manufacturing. The thin fibers are taken, into the melt of which limestone (10-15%) or charge is added. Additives increase the resistance of the material to excessively high temperature, aggressive environment. The result is a thermal insulation, which has sufficiently high performance characteristics:
- thermal insulation and hydrophobization. the first parameter is from 0,042 to 0,048 W/mK. Approximately the same characteristics have other known insulation materials (eg, polystyrene foam, polyurethane foam). Minwata is not able to accumulate moisture (hygroscopicity. less than 1%), which makes its weight unchanged. A distinctive feature can be called a vapor permeability, which guarantees insulation and at the same time intensive moisture exchange between the outside environment and the walls of the building;
- density, durability. The insulating material has a sufficient density (from 30 to 100 kg/cubic meters per square meter), which is comparable to that of plastic insulating material. m), which guarantees high thermal insulation properties with optimal durability. The rigidity of the material is provided by the direction of the fibers, they are located in the horizontal and vertical directions;
- sound insulation. Good noise protection characteristics are achieved thanks to the porous structure of the wool;
- resistance to aggressive environment. Wool “indifferent” to alkalis, acids, does not rot, fungus is not affected. Rodents also bypass this insulation;
- fire resistance. Basalt wool can withstand heat up to 700 ° C. This protects the structure from total destruction in a fire and gives time to evacuate the occupants;
- health safety. In the production of resins containing harmful substances (formaldehyde, phenol) are used. However, observance of technology presupposes their introduction into the composition of the insulation in a chemically bound state. The substances become completely neutral to the environment and pose no danger to humans.
However, if the mineral wool is produced by artisanal method, then there is a risk to health. This is why it is better to buy the material from trusted manufacturers.
Tips for cutting insulation
To prevent the material from tearing during cutting with the formation of large amounts of dust and waste, the tool must be sharp. Due to the peculiarities of insulation, consisting of stone or glass fibers, it quickly blunts and requires frequent sharpening. Or, in the case of a knife, changing the blade.
Before you cut the mineral wool in the boards, they are marked, pressed to it a flat rail and make the cut, pressing the tool blade to the rail and holding it vertically.
To cut the roll insulation markings are made directly on the packaging, sticking masking tape on its circumference.
This is important! In order to insulate tightly adhere to the lateral edges of the frame or rafters, its width should be 5-20 mm more than the distance between them. Take this into account when marking.
What to cut the mineral wool:
If you do not know how to cut mineral wool at home, we can advise you the best tools for cutting mineral wool.
Working with Mineral Wool
So, to cut the mineral wool is best suited to a good, sharp knife or hacksaw for metal, carefully cut the mineral wool in the right directions, for greater accuracy can be outlined with a pencil mowing line or cut directly on the ruler. the process of cutting mineral wool is somewhat similar to cutting paralon, but a bit more force is required, pressing the mineral wool cutting tool a bit harder.
What to do with the scraps and remnants of mineral wool.
One solution can please many (especially companies and large manufacturers). Mineral wool scraps are not useless and may be useful for those who choose to insulate their walls and ceiling on a budget. Cuttings can be sold at a low price, and the demand for the product will be very high.
What is the best way to cut mineral wool
A distinctive feature of mineral thermal insulation is composed of fibers structure, which must be in one piece to ensure thermal insulation. In this regard, special attention should be paid to the cutting process. Do not use cardboard or fabric scissors or regular table knives to cut the material. These tools are not designed for such a material, as they can spoil its appearance and degrade its useful properties. Beginning repairers and builders are very useful to know what tools are suitable for this case.
Characteristics and properties of the material
Mineral wool is produced in the form of plates and rolls
Before beginning construction or repair work, the owner of the room thinks about the criteria by which to choose the materials. Currently, the range of sales dazzles with a variety of fabrics, which differ from each other in terms of raw materials, price, scope of application, characteristics of operation.
The term “mineral wool” refers to three types of materials, namely:
Glass wool (made of fiberglass) is characterized by low density and high hygroscopicity. The material does not have the properties of moisture resistance, and heat resistance from it should not be expected: when it reaches a high temperature of heating (about 300 degrees) wool fibers melt, and the material no longer performs the function of insulation. Glass wool is sold in rolls.
Glass wool is produced by blowing: an industrial centrifuge creates a stream of air that goes directly into the raw material. A flow of air gives rise to filament fibres, which may be of different lengths, orientations and thicknesses.
Mineral wool has low thermal conductivity, allows steam to pass through due to the cells in the structure and almost does not absorb water. In addition to the basics in the composition of few binders, allowing it to withstand high temperatures. The material is widely used as sound insulation and insulator for various substrates and surfaces. Produced in strips, which vary in strength.
Slag wool for thermal insulation
Slag wool is the cheapest option for insulation. Material is composed of fibers that are the waste products of blast furnaces, it is not dense and is not very resistant to heat. If overheated, slag wool will sinter. Therefore, the material is not suitable for the insulation of premises adjacent to heat sources, as well as not recommended for the construction of houses.
The structure of the horizontal layer of any kind of mineral wool is created in the direction of the fibers. The formation of vertical sections takes place at the expense of elements that are arranged chaotically. Each type of material has its own characteristics and external differences.
Are there any nuances in transportation and storage?
Manufacturers recommend to store mineral wool in a complete package, and it is better, if the package will be on a flat surface. Each stack of packages should not be higher than 2 meters. Optimal storage conditions are closed rooms, resistant to moisture. It is not recommended to store the insulation outdoors, but if this happens, then you need to cover it with a tarpaulin or film.
It is necessary to store the wool only in a horizontal position
The same rules apply for transport: transport the wool horizontally and in a dry truck bed. It is also necessary to ensure that the material is protected from mechanical influences and atmospheric precipitation. When loading and unloading the material, it must not be compressed too much.
Unpacking the mineral insulation also requires certain nuances. Material should be taken out of the package only before starting work, which will minimize the various risks associated with damage to the insulation. Laying out the material for cutting, use its packaging as a bedding. This way the product will not get dirty. Also, the packaging can also be used to collect other debris at the construction site.
What is the best way to cut mineral wool??
For the separation of cloth and rolls professionals use a special machine. But many people wonder: “What is the best way to cut mineral wool in the boards at home to save money?”
Important! To cut the mineral wool use a hacksaw for metal or wood.
At home, in order to cut the cloth used assembly knife. this tool has one drawback, because of the small blade, it is difficult to cut thick boards with it. Therefore, I recommend using a stationery knife only for thin sheets. If you do not observe this condition, the sheets can be destroyed.
Safety precautions when working with mineral wool
You should know that there is a special safety technique during work with this material, which prevents its negative impact on human health: basalt mineral wool releases dust, extremely dangerous for people working with it.
When cutting and further installation of this insulation, the following rules should be observed:
- use protective clothing made of thick fabric and construction gloves;
- When laying the slabs, wear special goggles over the eyes and a face mask;
- after work, be sure to wash your hands, change your clothes or clean them thoroughly.
Good ventilation in the workplace to avoid the negative impact of mineral wool dust on human health.
Cutting ROCKWOOL Comfortbatt
Since the technical characteristics of mineral wool from different manufacturers can vary significantly, there are a few practical tips that make it possible for any initial data mineral wool to obtain quality insulation.
- When insulating a flat roof should lay mineral wool in two layers.
- To increase the degree of sound insulation is recommended to use granulated mineral wool.
- Slabs with ventilation slots are the most practical.
- When erecting a one-storey building, a three-layer wall may not have any ventilation slots.
- Operable attics are most often insulated with two layers of mineral wool.
- Accurate cutting of mineral wool slabs ensures the absence of gaps and the likelihood of “cold bridges”.
The presence of interrupted lines on the insulation boards facilitates the process of their measuring and subsequent cutting.
It is important to create a safe working environment
It’s really important. As in any case, the observance of simple safety precautions will help to save health, work in optimal time and at a high quality. What you need to pay attention to:
- It is better to cut insulation in cold weather, as it is necessary to wear a protective suit of dense fabric to work, which will prevent skin contact with the fibers of mineral wool and its irritation;
- to protect hands wear special gloves. with silicone or rubber coating on the palms;
- Goggles should be worn to protect the eyes;
- respiratory system will be protected by a respirator.
Such measures are necessary because when cutting insulation material particles of the material rise into the air from under the knives. Which can enter the eyes, respiratory tract, and cause skin irritation.
- When working with this type of insulation must periodically arrange a break, during which to ventilate the room;
- Shift the cut pieces should be carefully, do not throw to reduce the amount of fibrous matter in the air;
- At the construction site at this time should not be a child, even in protective gear.
As can be seen from the above, nothing too complicated in the slicing of mineral wool. If you follow the above mentioned rules it will not be a problem to perform work properly and safely.
How to cut mineral wool insulation
Questions about what and how to cut the mineral wool, there are always quite a few. Especially for those who are going to build a house on their own (for example, a frame house, which involves the assembly of their own forces). After all, in its structure it is a fibrous material, in addition, it has a certain thickness. Ordinary cutlery knives or scissors, designed for cutting cardboard or dense fabrics, will not work here at all.
However, before you start cutting mineral wool, it is important to get it correctly to the place of construction. Because otherwise the material, brought to a defective state, will not have to cut, and simply to change for a new one. And it is additional expenses.
How to transport insulation correctly
This science is simple, but very important. So:
- Slabs and mats are transported in a horizontal position;
- The truck must be necessarily with a protective tent;
- transported only in a packed form;
- during transportation, loading and unloading it is important not to compress the insulation too much;
- Unpack the mineral wool immediately before starting the insulation work.
What we will cut with
This can be done with different devices, depending on the thickness of the mineral wool.
- Special blades with a length of about 300 mm. They are often offered by manufacturers of insulation materials. Such a tool has teeth of different sizes to cut mineral wool of different thickness and density;
- saws with undivided teeth;
- hacksaw for metal;
- cutting machines. Used when cutting elements of complex shapes. However, for independent construction of their own house, that is, for a single use, to acquire such expensive equipment is not advisable. you will have to adapt to the capabilities of other tools.
How to cut
When cutting mineral wool, it is important to maintain the shape and density of the material, not to get injured and not to make too expensive purchases. Therefore, it is important to follow these tips:
- in self-construction, when workers are not sufficiently experienced, it is advisable to consult with experts before slicing, especially if it is assumed the presence of pieces of complex shape. This will help prevent unnecessary consumption of insulation;
- The tool for the cut should be well sharpened, so that mineral wool is not torn into fibers and less “dust;
- when slicing the insulation, please note that in order to ensure a dense overlap with mineral wool insulation space, it is necessary to leave an allowance of about 2 cm;
- It is better to cut rolled mineral wool before its unrolling;
- mineral wool boards should be removed from their packages and cut one by one;
- it is not recommended to cut the mineral wool “in advance”. for the entire amount of work at once. This increases the risk of accidental damage to its shape by additional shifting from place to place or stacking pieces on top of each other.
It is important to create safe working conditions
This is really important. As in any case, compliance with simple safety precautions will help to preserve health, to conduct work in optimal time and at a high quality. What you need to pay attention to:
- It is better to cut insulation in mild weather, as it is necessary to wear a protective suit of dense fabric to work, which will prevent skin contact with mineral wool fibers and its irritation;
- To protect the hands wear special gloves. with silicone or rubber coating on the palms;
- special goggles will be needed to protect your eyes;
- A respirator will protect the respiratory system.
Such measures are necessary because when the insulation is cut, particles of the material rise into the air from under the knives. Which can enter the eyes, respiratory tract, and cause skin irritation.
- When working with this type of heater, it is necessary to periodically arrange a break, during which to ventilate the room;
- shift the cut pieces should be carefully, without throwing, in order to reduce the amount of fibrous suspension in the air;
- No children should be on the construction site at this time, even in protective gear.
As you can see from the above, there is nothing too complicated about cutting mineral wool. If you follow the designated rules, it will not be difficult to perform work qualitatively and safely.