Universal grass trimmer reel: tips and reviews
The bobbin, or as it is also called, the head for the grass trimmer. this is one of the types of cutting elements of the garden tool. Its main function is the timely supply of lines for smooth cutting of grass on the site. On the serviceability and condition of the bobbin depends not only on the speed of the grass trimmer, but also its effectiveness when working in different operating conditions.
All trimmer heads are pre-divided according to the type of cutting line feed. Depending on this factor, the following types of devices can be found on the market:
- manual. in the bobbins of this type, the line for the trimmer must be fed manually. To pull the right amount of cutting cord, you need to stop the brushcutter, and lengthen the ends. Manual reel for grass trimmer is considered the most reliable of all types. Nevertheless, its use requires a certain knack, which can only be gained by using this type of heads on a regular basis;
- semi-automatic. to lengthen the ends of the cutting cord, the lower end of this device will need to be pressed to the ground. The operator has to press a button that opens the anchoring mechanism. At this time, centrifugal forces are triggered inside the bobbin, under the influence of which the line for the trimmer is extended to the required amount for further work. A semi-automatic reel for grass trimmer does not require any skill. The only downside is the high price of some models of these devices;
- automatic. heads of this type do not need to stop the grass trimmer and do not require any skill. The cutting filament is extended by itself when the engine speed of the brushcutter reduces. Automatic grass trimmer head. this is the most convenient device, however, due to its more complex design, the owner is forced to repair the device more often.
In addition to these types, on sale you can also find a universal reel. They are in high demand due to the possibility of installation on grass trimmers from different manufacturers. In addition, these devices have a low price, and they can be found at any garden supply store.
In addition to classification by filament supply method, the bobbins for trimmers are initially divided among themselves by the method of charging the cutting cord. Depending on this factor there are the following types of devices:
- quick-release devices are so-named because the operator is not required to remove the head from its base when attaching a new cutting line. This saves time and makes operating a grass trimmer more convenient. To fill it, you will need to slip one of the ends of the new cord into its hole, and wrap it around the head several times. After reaching a certain size, the second end of the line must be cut;
- split-type spools. to refill them, the operator will need to turn off the ignition and remove the spool from the grass trimmer. After that, a new cutting line for the trimmer is reeled in place of the old. At the end, the operator only has to assemble the head and install it in its original location.
The construction of most brushcutter reels includes bobbins, which can be single- or double-section. In the first type of attachments, the line used for the trimmer is wound evenly on each side. With two-section mowing heads, each of the individual parts of the cord needs to be wound onto a specific part of the spool. Devices of the second type are considered the most convenient to use, because the line for trimmer is not bent at sharp angles and is not deformed.
How to Choose a Model?
On the market there are mostly plastic modifications. They are manufactured with steel cores. First of all, pay attention to the diameter of the line. For annual grass and small weeds, a 1.5 mm size is suitable. The height of the reel should not exceed 80 mm. The system of winding is most often used semi-automatic type. However, there are models that are triggered only by touching the ground. Thus, the line for the trimmer wears out much slower. The cost of such a modification in the area of 800
How to use a trimmer
Tips for trimming grass
- We cut the grass when it is not very big. This will allow you to get the job done much easier and faster than if you mow a heavily overgrown lawn or yard. A large mass of grass, weeds, plants, and the trimmer will be hard to grind. In addition, there will be a lot of chopped grass lying on the surface, which must either be removed, or wait until it dries out, or until it becomes compost, which is not very pretty and can cause various grass diseases.
- Avoid mowing not grass, but fences, rocks, bricks or any other hard objects, as this will greatly accelerate the wear and tear of the line and you will need to replace it more often.
- Some people have to wear an orthopedic corset (although this may seem silly). Back support keeps you working longer and feeling more comfortable.
Warnings on how to use a trimmer
A grass trimmer, like a twig chopper, chainsaw or garden tractor, is unwise to use for something it is not intended for.
Keep the grass trimmer away from you, so it does not cut off your fingers or leg.
Don’t trim in water or wet grass. If you have an electric grass trimmer, you may get an electric shock. If you have a gasoline grass trimmer, you can pollute the water and grass with fuel and exhaust.
You will need things to mow the grass
- Pants. Sturdy work jeans without holes are preferred. You can mow the grass anywhere, so if you don’t protect your feet, you will soon feel a few thousand ants crawling on your feet and biting you. Sometimes the weed can scratch to the point of bleeding or severely stabbed, thrown back on the mower by the trimmer.
- Gloves. fingerless, leather, it doesn’t matter. If you mow without gloves, at the end of the mowing you cannot move even your little finger without pain. The weight of the grass through the weed trimmer puts pressure on your hands and will cause abrasions and chafing on your hands if they were not wearing protective gloves.
- Safety goggles. you can’t mow with your eyes closed, because little bits of grass fly in your face. One good eye contact will convince you that safety glasses are a must. This refers to one of the main rules of how to use a trimmer.
- Have plenty of drinking water on hand. Even if you think it won’t be hot, think again. You have to how to mow grass with a vibrating trimmer for quite some time.
- Have a spare trimmer line or a refilled trimmer head to replace it if it runs out.
- If you have an electric grass trimmer, you need to have an extra extension cord. If you have a gasoline grass trimmer, you must have extra fuel.
- Rake to rake away grass clippings or weeds.
- Hat to wear if you’re working in the sun.
- High shoes (pants are best tucked into boots).
- If you plan to work at dusk or later, make sure you have bug spray and a flashlight.
How to remove the trimmer head?
The procedure for removing the trimmer head on top-mounted machines is the same for any model. first lock the output shaft of the machine with any suitable tool, such as a regular hexagon, then unscrew the drum or locking nut.
You can unscrew the drum by hand, because its diameter is big enough to put your hand around it, while the nut is easily unscrewed with the standard spanner delivered with the electric mower.
Here are detailed instructions that you can follow to remove most types of reels from a grass trimmer with a top-mounted motor:
- make sure that the machine is unplugged;
- Clean the space between the blade guard and the spool of grass;
- rotate the head so that the fixing holes are aligned;
- insert a standard hex wrench or any other suitable tool into the aligned holes;
- Wrap your palm around the body or put a wrench on the nut, then turn in the appropriate direction (clockwise for units with a straight boom, counterclockwise on those with a curved boom).
On some machines with a bent boom there is no hole to fix the shaft, instead the base is fixed to the shaft with a bolt.
If this is the type of electric mower you have, then proceed as follows:
- Make sure the machine is unplugged;
- pinch the retainers with your fingers;
- Carefully remove the cover;
- remove the bobbin and other parts;
- Holding the base with your hand, unscrew the fixing bolt by turning it counterclockwise;
- remove the reel base by rocking it slightly from side to side, if it cannot be removed, rotate it 45-90 degrees and rock it again to try to remove it.
On machines with a bottom motor the principle of fixing the mowing head is different. it is pressed on the spline shaft with the heating of the latter or other ways of fixation, so we recommend to remove this part by yourself only to those who are familiar with such works and have the appropriate tools.
Some models have a slot in the shaft for locking, but to get to it, you often have to saw through the removable spool.
How to Replace a RYOBI 18v and 40v Trimmer Head
There are 3 types of the most popular trimmer heads:
A mechanical spool is a plastic or metal disc in which one or more small sections of fishing line are attached in various ways, which makes it necessary to constantly manually change the trimmer line on it.
Here are the most popular models of such heads:
CHAIN Trimmer Head !? REVIEW AND TEST #2
Despite the variety of models and differences in appearance, reels of this type are designed and work according to the same principle.
The base connects the other elements of the trimmer head to the brushcutter or electric mower through a threaded bushing fused into it, so each bobbin fits only that trimmer, the diameter of the gear or lower motor shaft matches the diameter of the bushing.
Inside the base is a spring which props up the bobbin, pushing the pushing part outward through the removable bobbin case.
On the bobbin and body have locks that prevent the former from turning, but when the operator strikes the ground, the bobbin is out of mesh with the detachable body locks and freely rotates.
The removable body has holes for the string, and they are located so that the line exit from the bobbin is noticeably higher, it provides a reliable fixation of the line in the working condition.
When the operator hits the ground with the pressure part, the bobbin enters the body and all the holes through which the line for the trimmer is running are aligned. The centrifugal force then pulls some of the wound string outward, and when the pressure on the pressure part disappears, the bobbin comes out of the housing and takes up its working position again.
Regardless of the model and manufacturer, all automatic reels are arranged and work on the same principle.
They consist of the following parts:
A threaded sleeve is soldered into the body of the base, and ratchet locks are installed on the inside surface, which allows the bobbin to rotate in one direction only. Inside the bobbin there is a through channel designed for the line wire. The cap is firmly slipped on the bobbin, and shaped facets make it easy to rotate it to wind the line.
Top 3 most reliable reels for domestic use
The market has its own rating of the most durable mower heads. They stand out for their simplicity of design, reliability and resistance to damage. These include:
The 3rd place is occupied by Bosch K-103. It is a universal reel weighing about 300 g. Most often it is used for Makita and Hyundai brushcutter equipment. These models are notable for low cutting cord consumption, resistance to impact and durability. The core and other parts are made of forged steel and the body is made of plastic;
Despite of stability and durability, all the listed coils cost on the order of magnitude cheaper than other, less qualitative analogs, which makes them leaders on the market of the former Soviet space.
Trimmer head design
Semi-automatic trimmer heads are considered the most popular in the Russian market. A typical representative of mechanisms of this type is a universal semiautomatic head, which is equipped with electric grass trimmers and lawnmowers of such famous brands as Bosch, Huter, Husqvarna, etc. Its set-up is shown in Fig.
- body (pos.6) with cover (pos.1) equipped with special eyelets (pos.5) through which the cutting filament is led out;
- bobbin (pos.3) on which the line for the trimmer is wound (pos.7);
- clamping spring (pos. 4).
There are other, simpler heads.
trimmer head construction
In the Russian market, the most popular are semi-automatic trimmer heads. A typical representative of mechanisms of this type is the universal semiautomatic head, which is equipped with electric grass trimmers and lawnmowers of such famous brands as Bosch, Huter, Husqvarna, etc. Its device is shown in the picture.
- body (pos.6) with cover (pos.5), through which the cutting cord is led out;
- bobbin (pos.3) on which the trimmer’s line is wound (pos.7);
- the clamping spring (pos. 4).
There are other, simpler heads.
Order of operations
This section will show you how to make 4 different types of trimmer heads:
The equivalent of a collapsible “Spider”
You can buy the original of this coil on Aliexpress, and to make it you will need:
- an aluminum bar with a diameter of 45-55 mm, if there is no bar, a sheet of aluminum 4 cm thick will do;
- screw or bolt M4-M6 length 10-15 mm with the same thread direction as the shaft of the trimmer for grass;
- Lathe or lathe-milling machine;
- drilling machine;
- angle grinder;
- drill set;
- set of taps and dies.
- Use an angle grinder to cut 2 pieces from the bar, one 20 mm thick, the other 30 mm thick. If you don’t have a bar, cut 2 circles of 35-45 mm in diameter from the sheet.
- If you are using plate circles, use a lathe to turn them to a diameter of 30-35 mm.
- Grind the long piece so that there are two cylinders set one on the other. the diameter of the lower cylinder is original, length 25 mm, diameter of the upper cylinder 20-25 mm, that is 10 mm less than the lower cylinder, length 5 mm.
- Make the threads on the short cylinder at any pitch, as long as they are in the same direction as the shaft threads.
- In the middle of the big cylinder of this part drill 2 holes at 90 degrees, each 3-4 mm in diameter, then countersink them with a drill 6-8 mm in diameter.
- Drill a hole in the end face of this part on the large cylinder side for the thread of a bolt or screw, then cut the thread.
- Drill a cavity in a short piece with a cutter to make a bowl with the wall thickness for the thread that corresponds to the thread on the short cylinder of the long piece, the depth of the cavity is 6-8 mm.
- Cut a suitable thread in the cavity.
- Measure the diameter of the grass trimmer shaft and its thread pitch. In the vast majority of cases, machines with a straight shaft on the left thread M10x1 or M10x1,25, the models with a bent rod right M8x1,25, but exceptions are possible.
- Drill a hole in the bottom of the bowl under the thread on the shaft of the grass trimmer, then cut it.
- Cut the bolt to length so that, when tightened, it will hold, but not squeeze the trimmer line. If you plan to use trimmer lines of different diameters, make a bolt for each diameter.
- Grind the bottom face of the bolt so it has no sharp edges.
From the flywheel of an old bobbin tape recorder
In the mechanism of domestic and foreign bobbin recorders used the flywheel of aluminum alloy with a diameter of 80-95 mm.
To turn it into a trimmer head, you will need:
- Using a drill or lathe, drill a hole centered on the flywheel that is 0.5 mm larger in diameter than the outside diameter of the shaft thread. A lathe is preferable, because after it you can not balance the part.
- Remove all protruding elements with a borromachin.
- Drill 6 equidistant holes with a diameter of 2-4 mm in the end face, then smooth out the edges on the inside of the flywheel with a drilling machine.
- Slide the finished product onto the rod of such a diameter that it twists on it, but does not dangle. Turn the handwheel several times strongly, noting the place where it stops, if it always stops in different places, then the balance is perfect, if it often stops in one place, then little by little grind metal from the outer surface of the drill, balance it.
- Cut three pieces of fishing line 2.1 to 2.3 times longer than necessary, then tie a knot in the middle of each piece.
- Insert each piece of fishing line into two adjacent holes from the inside.
- Slide the spool onto the grass trimmer, place the regular washer on top so that it overlaps the knots, then secure it with the nut, tightening it a little more.
- If necessary, cut the trimmer line to the desired length.
From a PVC sanitary plug
This reel is only suitable for light, fine line (up to two mm) and for cutting sparse, short grass.
To make it, you will need:
- Drill a hole in the center of the plug whose diameter equals the diameter of the thread on the shaft of the weed trimmer.
- Drill 2-4 equidistant holes in the side wall, 1-2 cm from the cap, diameter of holes 1.5-2.5 mm, depending on the diameter of the line.
- If necessary, cut off the excess from the protruding part of the plug.
- Cut 2-4 pieces of fishing line half as long as you need, then tie a tight knot at one end of each piece.
- Put the head on the grass trimmer, then secure it with the washer and nut.
- Insert pieces of fishing line from the inside so that the knots remain in the plug.
Of the two nuts
To make this head you will need:
- A nut with a skirt that matches the threads of the grass trimmer shaft;
- Nut under thread M13 or M16 with any step (if the shaft thread M8, then take the nut M13, if M10, then M16);
- A threaded stud and another nut to match the skirt nut;
- welding inverter;
- a set of drills;
- Angle grinder with stripping wheel.
- Cut off a piece of stud 5-10 cm long, then thread the two small nuts onto it so that they face each other with their skirts facing each other and lock into place.
- Insert this construction into the drill and turn it on, file the edges of the far nut so that it fits snugly into the large nut.
- Insert the small nut into the large nut as far as it will go, then weld them with an inverter to make a secure connection.
- Deburr the seam with an angle grinder.
- Drill the large nut over the small nut with a 2-4mm bit so that the holes go through the opposite faces. It is possible to drill twice at an angle of 90 degrees, using drill bits with a diameter of 2 and 4 mm.
- Cut a piece of fishing line of double length and insert it into the hole so that both ends protrude evenly and in the middle pick it up with a screwdriver to form a small loop.
- Screw this homemade device on the shaft of the grass trimmer and tighten it by hand, the shaft will fix the line for the trimmer and will not let it fly out under any load.