screwdrivers. an important tool, without which no construction or repair work can go on. All available types, used for different purposes, are sold on today’s market. This device is especially useful for small household chores. With its help, it is easy to screw and unscrew fasteners (screws, screws, self-tapping screws), drill, and mix glue or putty.
According to the type of power all screwdrivers are divided into:
- Cordless, battery-powered. They increase the weight of the screwdriver, but they make accessing awkward places much easier.
- Networked: functioning when plugged into an outlet. Because of the power cord, they have a small range, which can be increased through an extension cord.
They are also categorized into different types of screwdrivers according to their application. Among them are:
- Devices for construction or repair tasks;
- Screwdrivers for workshops, automotive centers, production shops;
- Tools for industrial plants and factories;
- Models for domestic (home) use.
Stores sell household, professional and semi-professional tools. When buying, emphasis is placed on the torque. It speaks to the number of tasks the device can perform.
, Designed to tighten as well as unscrew self-tapping screws, screws and other fasteners is its main function.
drills can also perform the function of an electric screwdriver, but this function is not its primary function. A drill can be used for such purposes from time to time and for small amounts of work, and in all other cases it is better to use an electric screwdriver.
A good electric screwdriver must be equipped with a rotational speed switch to work in two modes. This indicator is very important if you are going to use the tool as a drill, where at low speeds the drill just will not give the desired effect.
For tightening/unscrewing screws and bolts a lower speed of about 500-600 rpm is used. If you want to drill something, choose the tool with the ability to rotate up to 1300 rpm.
How to choose the right cordless electric screwdriver for the home. Selecting torque, impact and drill bits for the electric screwdriver drill
Is it worth it to take a powerful machine or it is better to save money, is it necessary to strike or not, what to work with large drills at all? Now we will tell you how to choose a cordless electric screwdriver for the home, relying on its characteristics and figures, which are written in the technical data sheet of this product.
“Why do you need an accordion” or why do cordless drills have a hammer function?? This question is asked by many people, because there are always doubts about the relevance of loading a light hand-held tool with such technology. You pay about 1000 more and you already have an electric impact screwdriver. It is heavier, more massive, but it won’t make many holes in concrete anyway, it needs a torch, and to deprive yourself of constant comfort for a couple of holes is doubtful pleasure.
Now for the torque. that’s important. 14-24 Nm is good for mounting lightweight boards, plywood, OSB. If you need to work with thick planks, to drill ceramics or concrete with drill bit, it’s better to take 36 Nm. If you doubt which is a good electric screwdriver and which is not. judge from the torque, it decides a lot. If it is more than 36 Nm, then it is suitable for drilling metal and working with large drills.
Now a little bit about the diameter of drills. Even if you bought a cordless electric screwdriver with the characteristics of a power drill, it will not replace it. Do not take the tool with torque of 80-120 Nm in the hope to work with 10-12 mm drills on metal. it all the same will not pull, in addition, its cost will be 5 times higher than that of a simple cordless electric screwdriver and a simple cordless drill combined. It’s worth it?
CORDLESS VS. CORDED DRILLSWhat Are The Numbers For?! (Clutch Control / Slip Clutch / Torque Drill)
As for revolutions per minute. it is not so important, because the standard 1400 rpm is enough for everyone, and professional models, which go for 2400 and more. this is already overkill and is necessary only in very specific situations, when the tool is used for non-standard solutions.
We told you what cordless electric screwdriver drill to choose and what characteristics you should look at. But there is one very important point. Where’s the assurance that the numbers are correct? Many Chinese and even European manufacturers overestimate the data, so that the tool was more attractive to the consumer. As a result, you read a lot of literature, ask a neighbor or a friend how to choose a cordless electric drill, buy equipment with KM 80 Nm, impact, a cool battery, high RPM, and you get a useless piece of iron. For this you still need to get acquainted with the manufacturers.
How to choose a cordless electric screwdriver for your home. Cordless Screwdrivers
This type of tool is more widespread. These devices are powered by batteries, the capacity and charging time of which can vary significantly.
- Independence from the availability of electricity and the location of the outlet, which gives freedom of action. Work can be performed at height, in hard-to-reach places, and practically in the field, and the wires will not get tangled underfoot;
- the range of use is wider, which results from the autonomy and mobility of the tool.
- dependence on the battery charge level, the need to constantly monitor this parameter and periodically recharge the batteries. Experts recommend taking a spare battery with a cordless electric screwdriver: while one is being charged, the second one works. It is preferable to choose batteries that charge quickly;
- cordless tools have less power than cordless tools. The torque may not be enough to work with hard materials, but there are exceptions. professional cordless electric wrenches are powerful and reliable enough.
Professionals know that choosing a cordless electric screwdriver is even more difficult than the mains one, because it is necessary to consider not only the direct function of the device, but also the features of the battery.
The first thing you should pay attention to is the type of battery:
- lithium-ion batteries, Li-Ion. This is the most popular and modern type of battery, used everywhere, not only in screwdrivers. The advantages are: low weight, enough power, no memory effect, long charge/discharge cycle life (about 3000 and more), high charging rate. Of the disadvantages is relatively high cost, so it is a good option for permanent, but not one-time work. This battery is not designed to work in freezing temperatures. To make the battery last as long as possible, it is better not to discharge it less than 15% and not to charge it more than 90%. Service life is about 3 years;
- nickel-cadmium, Ni-Cd. Are highly resistant to low temperatures and power surges. On the other hand, they have a pronounced memory effect, so it is better to fully discharge and fully charge such a battery not to reduce its capacity. The battery can withstand about 1000-1500 charge/discharge cycles, but it takes a long time to charge. about 7 hours, so it is better to have a spare battery. The weight of the battery is considerable, but it costs the cheapest. Lifetime of about 5 years;
- Nickel metal hydride, Ni-MH. Such accumulators are becoming more and more popular, they are lightweight, low resistance to low temperatures, memory effect is not pronounced. The big plus is the minimum self-discharge, and the minus is the price;
- Lithium polymer batteries, Li-Pol. are very seldom used in screwdrivers. These are high-capacity, but not very long-lasting batteries.
There are several basic types of bits:
- Flat or slotted. They are used when tightening screws or screws with a flat-blade screwdriver notch. The width of the tip can be different, it is measured in millimeters and indicated on the tail. bit depth of cut varies. This tool is identified by the letter S, next to which is a number representing the width of the tip.
- Cross-shaped. They have four large beam diagonal ribs. There are Ph- and Pz-bits, they have different angle at the base. They can only be used as intended, because inserting the wrong bit can damage the notches on self-drilling screws, so they will not tighten, and will slip. If you put the screwdriver in the wrong place, you can damage the screwdriver itself.
- Hexagonal. They are designed for tightening screws that have a hexagon inside. For example, they are used in furniture assembly, because that’s where the confirmants are used.
- Nut bits. They are used for screwing metal fasteners with an external hexagon.
- Sprockets. They are designed for fastening household appliances, but also for use in the automotive industry.
Bits for drywall with an electric screwdriver
Such bits have a stopper that prevents the screwdriver from screwing in deeper than necessary. When screwing a fastener into the wall, the limiter will rest against the drywall, which will allow you to screw a self-tapping screw to the right depth into the sheet. Thanks to this, the speed of assembling drywall is significantly increased.
A Phillips head bit for an electric screwdriver
- Ph (Phillips head screws). A simple slot designed for screwing screws that do not have additional notches.
- Pz (Pozidriv screwdriver). Improved version, which is used for screws with additional notches.
Important! Taking a closer look at this type of fastener makes it easy to see what kind of bit is needed. If, however, the bit keeps slipping or starts to wear off while screwing, it is a signal that you are using the wrong bit and it must be replaced to avoid breakage of the electric screwdriver and a rapid discharge of the battery.
For an electric screwdriver is suitable power supply 12V giving 10A current, if it is possible to use the 20-30A power supply, this is even better. These are average numbers that apply to most cordless trimmers.
The cordless electric screwdriver drill is a hand-held tool with which you can perform various types of work:
- Drilling holes in metals, wood, plastic and other materials;
- To screw in screws and self-tapping screws with a given torque and/or depth of insertion;
Dependence on the value
Let’s list the factors on which the torque of a screwdriver depends:
- Speed of the screwdriver. The higher the speed, the lower the value. Spindle speed affects performance.
- Voltage. It should be noted that this is not a directly proportional relationship. Household types as a power source can use an electrical network with a voltage of 18 or 24 V. Whereas professional drills demonstrate high parameters powered from 12 VDC power supply.
- Limiter. Manufacturers of similar tools produce many models with a torque regulator. It is a clutch, on the surface of which there is a regulating scale of torque. The second, popular name for this part is the ratchet. It limits the screwing force, at higher values the motor performs its work without load, idle.
- Power. Here it’s simple. The tool with the higher number of kW has the best maximum torque.
How to set the torque on a Bosch electric screwdriver, you can learn from the video:
In work such knowledge can be used as follows. At low speeds, high torque is produced. Suitable for tightening screws with high torque at low speed. Higher rpm should be used for drilling material or reaming holes.
Type and characteristics of power supply
According to the type of operation, the tool is divided into battery and mains-powered.
An electric screwdriver connected to the socket is convenient in that you do not have to recharge the battery at the most inopportune moment, but it is often very inconvenient to work with it because of the interfering wire. These models can be compared to an electric drill, but with a special torque control. Torque control is useful, for example, when installing drywall, when you want to gently tighten the screw after its head touches the sheet of drywall without breaking it.
Standard equipment of a cordless electric screwdriver: electric screwdriver, 2 batteries, battery charger, flashlight, 1 set of bits with magnetic holder, plastic carrying case.
Cordless tools are handy in the toughest jobs, but can run out of power at the wrong moment.
Always pay attention to the type of chuck when choosing a tool. It can be three-jaw and six-jaw. The size or diameter of the chuck is also important: the bigger the diameter, the more functions the tool can perform.
Torque will tell you how to choose the right electric screwdriver. It in electrical equipment can be hard and soft and is measured in newtonometers. Consider this factor when choosing: the higher it is, the better the quality of the tool.
Soft torque is responsible for twisting and unscrewing parts and can be between 0 and 350 rpm./min, and hard torque is responsible for drilling and ranges from 0 to 1000.
Reverse, or reverse, is very handy to work with and is desirable among the features and functions of the tool. Reverse allows not only screwing in, but also unscrewing screws, and will be useful in a situation where the drill gets stuck in wood, brick or any other material.
On a tool with reverse, there should be a through button near the start button that you press to turn reverse on and off at any time you like. Make sure that the reversing button is comfortable for you and easy to push.
Having the following features will help you choose a good electric screwdriver at your discretion. They do not play a major role when working with the tool:
- availability of an impact mechanism that allows you to work with socket heads and with concrete and bricks;
- the ability to regulate the torque;
- several speed modes will allow you to work with an electric screwdriver as a drill as the number of revolutions per minute increases;
- the presence of a backlight will help when working in corners or dark rooms;
- battery capacity: any capacity of electrical equipment is measured in amperes per hour, that is, the more ah in the battery, the longer it will work without recharging.
Extend the life of an electric screwdriver without buying a new battery is possible, to do this, follow a number of conditions and simple rules:
- only charge in a room with a positive temperature. Charging in freezing temperatures will quickly put the tool out of commission;
- As soon as the battery is dead, remove it from the tool and let it lie for at least 10 minutes, only then it can be recharged;
- do not put the battery in charge a second time if no work has been done during this time.