Why do you need an electric screwdriver?
When they began to equip drills with rechargeable batteries, they often began to be used as a screwdriver. The possibility of autonomous use of instruments of this type is very useful when performing work in confined spaces. You may also need an electric screwdriver for assembly work on metal and wooden structures.
Such a tool has few external differences from a drill. However, it is designed so that screws, screws and self-tapping screws can be driven in and out efficiently. There are screwdriver models that can also be used when drilling various holes. the screwdrivers are designed in such a way that they can lighten the torque. When working with screws, you do not need a high rotation speed.
A gearbox is installed in the tool for this application. This enables the RPMs to be reduced to 300 per minute. The torque is increased at the same time. The screw is not deformed.
To prevent the device from jamming a special system with several speeds is installed in it, which prevents overloading. Electric screwdriver can be equipped with special attachments that allow you to screw and unscrew various fasteners. an electric screwdriver with an impact function is capable of tightening nuts and screws using hard knocks.
Tried & Tested: Which Screwdriver? Mini Cordless vs Impact Driver (Bosch IXO vs DeWalt)
Important! The presence of a special release coupling allows you to create a screwing force. Thanks to this detail, the chuck stops automatically during overload.
An electric screwdriver is much more convenient to use with a battery that is combined with a handle. Such tools have become quite common in the construction industry. Similar devices are also used for assembly work, when repairing cars.
What to look for when choosing an electric screwdriver
How to choose an electric screwdriver by characteristics? Particular attention is paid to the choice of battery type, power, torque.
Screwdrivers are subdivided by type of power into:
What’s the difference between a drill, impact driver, and a power screwdriver
- Cordless. Functions with a replaceable battery, does not require the presence of a socket, there are no wires;
- mains. Working from a socket with a voltage of 220 V, more powerful, less weight;
- universal. Rarely encountered, works with any type of power supply.
Tip! No matter which cordless electric screwdriver you choose, it is advisable to buy a spare battery. This will allow you to continue working if the battery dies, in case of failure of the main battery there is always a spare part.
The choice of chemical power source affects the duration of work performed, the cost of the device, the duration of operation. There are 4 types of batteries:
- nickel cadmium (Ni-Cd). Long service life compared to others (about 5 years), low price. The disadvantages are considered a long charge and the need for a full charge;
- nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH). Good capacity, low weight, high price;
- Lithium-ion (li-ion). Characterized by a long charge time, does not require charging the battery fully. The disadvantage of this type is the high price. The best option among those under consideration. For single jobs it is better to choose another battery;
- lithium polymer (li-pol). Very large battery capacity, quickly fails.
By what characteristics to choose an electric trimmer depends on the requirements of the user.
Please note! Nickel-cadmium batteries are better for home use. Infrequent use will hide the lack of a long charge, and long use will allow you to forget about replacement.
For professionals it is better to consider lithium-ion or nickel-metal hydride screwdrivers.
Electromechanical qualities of screwdrivers
- Speed transmission mechanism. The gearbox is subjected to strong loads when the tool is functioning. The life of this part is affected by the material from which the mechanism is made. It is better to choose a metal gearbox than a plastic one.
- Electric drive. Cheaper models have older motors with electric brushes. Such screwdrivers are quite reliable, but have the disadvantage that if the brushes come into contact with the lamellae of the collector, the motor quickly overheats. expensive brands have a brushless drive. Due to the absence of friction between the elements, the device is not heated, increasing the performance of the electric screwdriver.
- Reverse is an additional feature to make it easier to work. Gives you the ability to switch the direction of rotation.
The parameter is characterized by the motor power and features of the battery. What is the best torque for an electric screwdriver, because the functionality of the tool depends on the choice:
- for home use of an electric screwdriver, it is enough to choose a torque of no more than 40 Nm;
- the use of the tool for plasterboard does not require high rotation, 10 Nm is enough;
- Work with drills on metal and with larger diameters will require more torque. up to 100 Nm.
The instructions always indicate the maximum length and diameter of the fastener that the tool can screw in. On sale there are devices with rotation up to 130 Nm. Screwdrivers with high torque are equipped with a battery voltage of 18 V or higher, low-power models are often equipped with 10 V.
How many screws the electric screwdriver will tighten depends on the battery and the torque. The tool has enough capacity for 200-250 fasteners if it performs well.
There are different kinds of chucks, which changes the purpose of an electric screwdriver.
- Quick-clamping. Quick change of fasteners without additional tools. With prolonged use, poorly clamped drill bits, requires chuck replacement. If the tool is equipped with a locking mechanism, these models come with one sleeve, which is a locking mechanism. Products without a hexagon are equipped with two sockets.
- Self-clamping. Also does not require additional wrenches for drill changes, crimped automatically.
- With hexagonal shank. These models have a hexagonal socket. Allows you to quickly and firmly clamp drills or accessories. The shank is made of steel, so it can be used for a long time. Self-clamping types are good for when you frequently change accessories.
- Cam-type. Rarely used, requires a special wrench to change the drill, which is often lost.
Additional criteria for selecting an electric screwdriver
An electric screwdriver may have additional features:
- Impact. The presence of such an addition will make it possible to make a hole in building materials. Equipped with a switch for rotational mode to impact.
- Impulse. Handles oxidized fasteners well, can clearly mark the beginning of entry into hard material.
- Illumination. Serves as illumination of the work area. This function is not always convenient, because of the shading of the chuck itself.
- Convenience. Characterized by the weight of the tool, its position in the hand.
The difference between sel3 and set4 wrenches
What is the difference in sel3 and set4 screwdrivers can be determined based on the characteristic. These tools differ in the type of chuck: sel3 has a removable chuck, while set4 has a quick-action chuck.
An electric impact screwdriver is designed for effective drilling of concrete walls in order to screw in screws and the subsequent installation of other fasteners. Thanks to the rotation and directional blows, the device makes a hole instantly, saving the user from having to use several tools and spending a lot of time on the job.
The unit is compatible with a variety of attachments, which means that the scope of its application is greatly expanded. By attaching a circular saw instead of a drill, the owner will be able to use the device to cut various elements and structures.
Choice of manufacturer
The choice of the drill-driver. an important matter, on the right decision depends on how the tool will serve its owner. Popular manufacturers that have long established themselves in the construction market can be called “Bosch”, “Hammer” and “Hitachi”
DRILL VS. DRIVER (What’s The Difference?!! Cordless Drill Vs. Impact DriverCOMPARISON)
These companies mainly produce domestic models. They are inexpensive and the quality is generally not bad
Popular manufacturers that have long established themselves in the construction market can be called “Bosch”, “Hammer” and “Hitachi”. These companies are mainly engaged in the production of domestic models. They are inexpensive and the quality, in general, is not bad.
Professional models develop. The quality of such a tool is undoubtedly better, but the are sometimes too high.
There are also domestic manufacturers. And although the of their products are much lower, you do not risk the efficiency of the tool. Known and its model “FIT-80014”, “DE-450ER/10. Another good option is the GardenLux CD14-22. The above models are designed for domestic use. For professionals will suit “Makita-4700”, “Interskol DU800ER”. Their
Pros and cons of the impact screwdriver
If you have tried drilling with an ordinary screwdriver in concrete, you probably know how long, time-consuming and thankless it is. An impact screwdriver can easily cope with such a task, gives an advantage in working with masonry and brickwork, but still its effectiveness is far from the capabilities of a full-sized impact drill, and even more so, the torch. The impact screwdriver, on the other hand, is unrivaled in tightening screws and screws.
In addition, the tool makes it relatively easy to unscrew fasteners with a damaged crosshead or partially obliterated edges. It should not be forgotten that with continuous work, an impactor does not put as much strain on the wrist as a hammerless one.
Nevertheless, the impact design can create a number of inconveniences:
- The pusher mechanism is subject to rapid wear, which is especially evident in inexpensive models.
- When switching to the percussion mode, the working speed drops considerably and the noise level increases.
- The impact screwdriver cannot be equipped with such useful accessories as a jaw chuck (hexagons are almost always used) and a torque limiting clutch.
It is important to understand that the cost of an impact tool will be an order of magnitude higher than that of its unimpacted counterparts, and this with significantly less autonomous operating time.
Disadvantages common to impact screwdrivers
With a fairly extensive list of advantages impact screwdrivers are not without disadvantages, the main of which should include:
- Low screwing speed in case of switching to impact mode.
- Impossibility of using cam chucks, except in rare cases. The percussion tool almost always contains hexes.
- Impossibility to install torque limiting clutch. For this reason, the control of the entire process is entrusted to the worker, which can be quite inconvenient, since the tool shaft rotates at a very high speed.
- Increased noise level when using a percussion tool.
Characteristics of impact screwdrivers
Before choosing any power tool, you should get acquainted with its characteristics. Regarding impact wrenches, it
Cordless impact drill Bosch GSB electric screwdriver
- weight: 1-1,3 kg;
- power: 230-300W
- idle stroke, frequency per minute: 0-3600;
- up to 3200 blows per minute;
- has double electric insulation;
- Are equipped with a reverse mechanism;
- many models have a light bulb to illuminate the work surface.
The fundamental difference between impact models and standard models is their compatibility with other devices. It is possible to use a circular saw in parallel and to replace the functions of an ordinary drill to drill holes using special accessories.
An electric impact screwdriver is also useful for minor repairs, fastening workpieces, and for drilling on especially solid surfaces. Many professional workers appreciate the lightness and compact size of impact models. High drill speeds will not damage the screws or fasteners. Manufacturers and stores offer a wide range of models, which allows you to pick up the tool at a low price, which will help in small domestic repairs, and with active use in the workshop.
Portal about the construction and repair of Stroy-benefit opens a new series of articles. for all who set up for serious repair in his house.
We want you to prepare for the repair correctly. buy the tools and materials that are REALLY needed. Exactly for you, we open this series of articles.
The first articles we will devote to power tools, and we will start with what you can’t do without. a drill.
Features of modern models have long gone beyond the banal drilling. with their help you can not only make holes, but also to grind surfaces, to screw in screws and bolts, stir mortars, etc.д.
Normal drill (no impact) allows you to drill holes in not very strong materials such as wood, plywood and plastic.
Impact drill is designed for holes in wood and metal. It operates in two modes: drilling and drilling with impact, which can partially replace a torch.
The mixer drill is a combination tool with an increased rotational speed. These drills are not only used for drilling, but also for mixing viscous building materials, mortars, paint, etc.п.
The mixer is more powerful than an ordinary drill and has a particularly robust gearbox. Its main feature is its high torque, which, however, makes it a bit heavy. This tool is sure to come in handy for large-scale repair and finishing work.
An electric screwdriver differs from a usual drill in that with its help it is possible to tighten/ unscrew screws, self-tapping screws and screws by adjusting the tightening torque.
The most widespread application of this tool is for furniture fitters. it is simply indispensable for assembly of furniture sets. In the home it is used when you want to screw something. for example, to fix steel profiles to the rails (wood or metal), drywall, profiled sheeting, etc.д.
The difference between a regular drill and an impact drill
An ordinary drill has small dimensions and light weight due to the absence of an impact mechanism. This is also the reason why it is more accurate.
Impact drills are characterized by the fact that they move back and forth as well as rotating.
Where to use an impact drill?
An impact drill is necessary for drilling in tough materials like brick and concrete. The impact function can be switched off, which makes this tool even more versatile.
The fundamental difference between a regular and a drill with impact function is that, in addition to conventional drilling, it can also be used to create recesses. cable ducts, sockets for switches, socket outlets, etc.д. This is why they are often called impact drills.
There is a large selection of impact drills in front of you:
If you are going to order a repair drill, be sure to check out this catalog. there are always low prices.
The difference between an impact drill and a rotary tool
An impact drill is often called a rotary drill, but these tools are fundamentally different. Of course, if you need to punch a few holes in the wall during the repair, an impact drill is what you need. But if you have to do more extensive work, this drill can not do. Why?
The drill has two cogs that take over the hammer function. The peorator has a special built-in electro-pneumatic or electro-mechanical mechanism: an electric motor produces a reciprocating movement of the piston which drives the working piston. This piston strikes the drill. The impact of the accelerator is therefore more intense, while the pneumatic action reduces the vibration.
In other words, the main difference between the two tools is the main function: in a drill, it’s drilling, while in a percussion drill, it’s striking. Capabilities of an impact drill are limited to brick and regular concrete, and a peorator easily chisels reinforced concrete and natural stone.
Types of drill chucks
There are three types of chucks for drills:
- Cam. the drill is secured with a special wrench, which is considered the traditional and more reliable method. This attachment is mainly installed on impact drills and powerful peorators, designed to work in harsh conditions.
- Quick-clamping. the drill is fastened without a wrench. The chuck itself, in turn, is divided into two subspecies: single- and double-ring. The latter differs in the presence of two rotating rings: one to clamp the drill, the second to loosen, while in the single-cylinder drill chuck these functions are performed only by one ring. In the first case you have to hold the sleeve with one hand to change the drill bit, with the other hand to screw in the second sleeve. In single-finger drill chucks, this process is carried out with one hand. The disadvantage. low reliability of the drill bit mount, especially on an impact drill.
- Collet SDS chuck. to change the drill bit, you just need to turn the chuck. SDS abbreviation in German sounds like Steck. Dreh. Sitzt, which means insert, turn, fixed: the drill bit shank is inserted into the chuck and after turning it is fixed by stop balls.
In the following article, we will talk about the percussion screwdriver in more detail.
Often many have the question, what is better an impact electric screwdriver in comparison with its non-impact analog and whether it is better in general?
Evaluating the merits that characterize the electric impact wrench, it is important not to be confused with such a tool as an impact drill or cordless peorator, because the purpose of an electric screwdriver is clearly defined in its name.
Characteristics of impact screwdrivers
Before you choose any power tool, you should get acquainted with its characteristics. Regarding impact screwdrivers, it
Cordless impact drill Bosch GSB Electric Screwdriver
- weight: 1-1.3 kg;
- power: 230-300 W;
- idle stroke, frequency per minute: 0-3600;
- Number of blows per minute up to 3200;
- has double electrical insulation;
- equipped with a reversing mechanism;
- Many models have a light bulb to illuminate the working surface.