What you can make from an electric screwdriver
In addition to the standard use of an electric screwdriver in repair and construction work, many craftsmen make from it household appliances, equipment for various purposes. Often, modifications and tips on how to use the tool significantly simplify the life of the user. The pluses also include a significantly lower cost and long life of the created devices in comparison with their factory-made counterparts. The following will tell you what you can make from an electric screwdriver at home.
The unit can be used to launch a small PVC boat. In this case, the watercraft will not be able to develop high speed, but such a solution will be suitable for leisurely walks on the water or fishing during a calm period. A device derived from an electric screwdriver is referred to by many as an “electric paddle.
To install the motor from a cordless tool on the boat, you need to take or cut out of metal impeller, in which you drill a hole with the diameter of a meter metal stud. The latter are clamped with nuts and inserted into an electric screwdriver, allowing for screw movements.
The resulting boat motor is fixed on the watercraft with improvised materials (clamps, homemade stands). The easiest way is to hold the machine with your hands.
With a propeller diameter of 100 mm, the boat in 3 minutes. Sail for about 100 meters.
That you can make with your own hands from an electric screwdriver
The entire range of screwdrivers is divided into network and battery models. Both the first and the second kind of products operate using electrical energy. It’s what drives the electric motor. Only the electric motor itself in the network devices is designed for an AC voltage of 220 V. And in battery-powered equipment. for constant voltage of different magnitudes. Say, for example, 12 V, 14.4 V.
These design features, as well as technical characteristics are important. It depends on them, what you can assemble homemade with an electric screwdriver. All household appliances and power tools run on electricity. The work is performed by electric motors of different design and power. They are powered by AC or DC type of current.
And that is why it is quite realistic to assemble such technical devices on the basis of an electric screwdriver or from some of its parts with your own hands:
IMPORTANT! If the impact type model is powerful, you can make a rammer for concrete from it, using a special attachment. To implement each option, you need time. It will be different. And you also need to be prepared for the extra cost. By the way, they are insignificant. In some cases, there will be no cost at all.
Advantages and disadvantages of remodeling
Converting an electric screwdriver into a mains model has a number of advantages. Among the main advantages are the following:
- You will not have to periodically recharge the device;
- will not deteriorate the power of the tool because of the weak battery;
- no need to change batteries.
However, there are disadvantages to this remodeling. the main disadvantage is that it is harder to use in hard-to-reach places. You will need to buy a special extension cord.
Magnetizing and hardening nozzles
A large number of the nozzles are made in China from soft material. That is why they quickly lose their shape. A new bit only lasts a short time. To extend the life of the bit, harden it. You will need: machine oil, a gas burner or gas stove, a small container of oil from any tin can, a piece of steel wire.
Wind the wire around the bit so it does not fall out.
A hardened bit will last longer than a normal one.
To make it easier to work, especially in hard-to-reach places, the bits are magnetized. There are several ways to do this.
You will need to buy a special device for magnetizing and demagnetizing screwdrivers. Insert the bit. The square window will magnetize, but the stepped window will magnetize.
Magnetizing and demagnetizing device
Magnetizing and demagnetizing device
- Buy neodymium magnets in a radio store.
- Divide them into two parts and put them in one row so that the resulting groups repel each other. Put a plastic pen cap between them. Secure the repelling magnets with plasticine to hold them in place.
The process of magnetizing a bit with neodymium magnets
As a result, the nozzle will magnetize the fastener better than a new one.
There is a list of tips for the safe operation of the screwdriver, following which will be able to extend its life and prevent malfunction:
- Start working only after you have made all the adjustments, inserting the right nozzles;
- it is important to avoid ingestion of: liquids, construction dust, shavings, sand;
- the room where the work is carried out must be well lit;
- If the connection is made directly from electricity, it is necessary to make sure that there are no voltage fluctuations, the electricity is supplied stably;
- It is necessary to periodically lubricate the chuck, clean it from contamination;
- It is inadmissible to touch earthed objects with the working tool;
- For dummies, who are using the screwdriver for the first time, it is useful to know that, according to safety rules, you should wear protective gloves and work clothes.
How to use the battery
Advantages include low price, high number of charge-discharge cycles, possibility of operation at low temperatures. The disadvantages are the loss of 8-10% of the capacity during storage, “memory effect”. With each charging of an incompletely discharged power supply, its capacity will gradually decrease. If you do not use the battery for a long time, it will be ready to work after 5 charge-discharge cycles.
Lithium-ion models are attractive due to absence of “memory effect. They can be charged at any degree of discharge. The advantages are low weight, low self-discharge (up to 5% per month), the speed of charging. The main disadvantages are high price and rapid discharge at temperatures below 0 degrees. These batteries should be stored at half charge.
How to use a cordless electric screwdriver is described in detail in the instruction manual of the unit. Even the most expensive models can work on a single charge for no more than 2 hours, so many manufacturers bundle the tool with a spare power source.
The battery is charged with a conventional or pulse charger. The speed of replenishment of the capacity in the first case is 2-6 hours, in the second. no more than 1.5 hours. Some models have a quick charge time of 30 minutes. When connecting the battery to the charger, you need to make sure that the polarity is correctly aligned on each item. The beginning of the charging process is indicated by the glow of a red LED, the end of the process is indicated by the glow of a green LED.
Modern batteries are equipped with protection against overheating, so they can be left on a charge without fear of premature failure, for a long time. Experts do not recommend a process that lasts longer than 24 hours.
How to properly use a screwdriver
In order to use the device successfully, it is important to follow the instructions clearly. How do you use an electric screwdriver??
Getting ready to work
Beginners often do not even know how to correctly turn on an electric screwdriver. For home use of the device you need to do the following:
- Remove from the case and make sure there is no damage.
- After inspection, attach the battery and make sure there is enough charge.
- Install the right nozzle. This is done taking into account the nature of the work. screwing screws or drilling.
- Set the operating mode and rotational speed with the regulators.
- If necessary, set the drilling depth.
Performing a bit change
Many people are interested in how to properly screw a bit into an electric screwdriver. To do this, you must familiarize yourself with the construction of the chuck.
7 Best Electric Screwdriver
To fix the bit in the chuck, it is worth using a special nozzle, which has a magnetized holder. It prevents the construction from falling apart and holds the bit well in different positions. To fix the bit, unscrew the sliding part of the chuck, place the bit in it and screw the chuck completely in.
To set the torque, the tool is equipped with an adjustment ring with marked values. They are set according to the hardness of the materials. So, for screwing self-tapping screws into drywall will be enough 2-4, and for durable wood. the maximum mark will be more suitable.
Direction of rotation of the chuck
Direction of the chuck revolutions can be changed for screwing or unscrewing fasteners. This should be done only after the engine has stopped completely. Setting the switch in the middle position blocks the operation of the electric screwdriver.
What to pay attention to when buying?
- On the market there are professional and home drills, screwdrivers. the first ones are necessary for craftsmen or those who use the tool almost every day and in large quantities. For domestic use, the purchase of an amateur screwdriver is sufficient: their cost is lower, their weight is less, and their power is less than the professional versions;
- According to the type of power supply there are cordless mains units and combined units. For household needs in the conditions of a city apartment, the cordless variant is suitable. If you don’t plan to use the tool often, it’s cheaper to buy a corded version;
- Professional tools have a torque of up to 130Nm. For the household version, a drill of 20-40Nm is sufficient;
- The number of revolutions per minute is recommended is 1500;
- The optimal solution for domestic use will be the choice of quick-action chuck.
Brush heads with a hexagonal shank allow you to quickly remove old paint and rust from the surface. Thanks to its low operating speeds an electric wrench is perfect for polishing a car body. The only disadvantage. brush heads have a small diameter and are more suitable for spot work on the polishing of individual parts of the body. It is better to buy a full-fledged polisher for the entire car.
WORX 4V Cordless Screwdriver Review and Comparison / Best Cordless Screwdriver?
The brush head resembles a small handheld circular saw, but the diameter of the circle does not exceed 5-7 cm. With it you can very smoothly cut a strip of leather, cut a piece of plastic or a thick 3-5 layer cardboard.
This is not the whole list of attachments that turn your electric screwdriver into a real multi-tool.