What are some metal hacksaws?
Today it is possible to count a dozen or two modifications of metal cutting saws. First of all, this type of saws can be classified by the length of the blade:
At the same time, the industry offers blades with a length of 200 and 400 (mm). They are not widespread, but they are produced in small batches.
- Saws with a blade length of 150mm are regarded as short. Additionally there are also 200 (mm) blades, which also can be called short category. Saws with short band saw blades have quite a narrow specialization. These saws are usually used in tight spaces.
- Saws with 300 (mm) blades are considered standard. This blade length is long enough to produce a high cutting performance in safety-sensitive conditions.
Specialists say that good quality tool steel blades for short saws are hardly available nowadays. Their place is taken by cheap analogues, based on ordinary carbon steel. Toothing made of such metal “goes bald before our eyes” if workpieces made of strong steel grades are machined.
Deficit of quality blades for short saws is caused by the fact that shortened hacksaws are steadily falling out of use today. Short hacksaws are being superseded by jigsaws, small angle grinders, and reciprocating saws.
There are several types of hacksaws for metal:
The design defines mainly the area of application of the saw.
- Hacksaws of the frame type are considered traditional. The frame is also called a “machine tool”. The frame is represented by a C profile. Such hacksaws have the ability to mount the blade on two sides.
A well clamped and correctly tensioned blade achieves high reliability and durability. In this case there is less risk of scalloping and the edge remains sharp for a long period of time.
Hacksaws with frame construction are the vast majority of metal saws. These models have a very ergonomic handle. They are additionally equipped with a blade tensioning mechanism. These are comfortable, reliable and durable saws that have been used in the past even in mass production.
- Metal saw blades with one-sided blade locking is represented by handle and toothed holder. Such saws are rationally used only when working in hard-to-reach places.
Saw blade is mounted on one side only. On the other end, about halfway down the blade, the notching is not overlapped in any way. Thanks to that moment a narrow yet long enough cutting edge becomes accessible, with which you can get into places where a normal saw has no travel.
Hack saw tutorial
The working principle of a one-way blade saw is practically the same as that of a sabre saw. It is easy to cut a jammed locking bolt with this type of hacksaw. The free edge of the blade can easily slip into narrow gaps.
A separate category of one-sided metal saws is made by the so-called “cupped saws”. Saws of this type are completed with a thicker blade that makes it extremely durable and long-lasting. It is convenient to make shaped notches with a circular saw, similar to the teeth of an electric jigsaw.
How to choose a metal saw with the saw blade in mind.
Length of the sabre saw blades
Today, manufacturers of consumables for metal hacksaws offer 3 typical blade sizes:
Each type of metal blade is designed to do a specific job.
- Blade lengths of 250 (mm) are considered classic. This is a “universal” size of hacksaw blades designed for a very wide range of applications from cutting small diameter bars to full tubing.
What are other blade types for metal.
- Blades 150 (mm) long are usually used when a cut is required in hard-to-reach places, where there is a clear lack of space. Additionally metal hacksaw blades under 150 (mm) are used when cutting workpieces of small diameter.
- Regarding large size of blades, 300 (mm), long toothed hacksaw blades are used when cutting metal of medium or large diameter. The long metal blade gives the hacksaw increased productivity.
Saws with a telescopic frame design (saw blade holder) are widespread. In this case the saw can be adjusted to any blade length. Owners of telescopic sabre saws often keep a stock of all blade sizes.
It is worth noting separately that in conditions of high competition between tool manufacturers, saw blades with non-standard length blades are appearing more and more often. You can find hacksaw blades for 170, 200, 230 (mm), etc.д. This is done so that users in the future buy only consumables (blades) of a certain manufacturer.
How to choose a metal blade considering the type of hardening.
How to cut with a hacksaw properly
It is not difficult to master the technique of cutting with a metal hacksaw. It is important to stick to the following recommendations.
- the blade provides a cut only when it moves forward. Therefore, physical effort is exerted on these gaps. When returning to the initial position the pressure on the saw is released and the handle is lifted slightly. This way it extends the life of the blade.
- Choose a tool with a comfortable handle. U- and L-shaped handles are preferred. Handle in the form of a tubular stick when sawing slips, does not allow you to firmly fix the hacksaw with both hands.
- Installation of the blade is carried out taking into account the arrangement of the teeth. They must point in the direction of the cutter (craftsman).
- If you use a sliding model you must start with the setting of the cutting element by adjusting the length of the tool to the size of the blade.
- The tensioning must be paid attention to when installing the blade. If the cutting attachment is too tight, it can break at the slightest twist. If the tension is insufficient, it is not possible to cut, the blade will repeatedly slip from the surface of the material to be cut.
- To avoid intense heat, it is recommended to apply a few drops of oil to the cut area.
- There is no need to make a final cut when sawing a metal pipe or angle. Sometimes the piece to be cut is simply broken by bending the sagging part. But it is necessary to pass with a hacksaw at least half of the thickness of the workpiece.
- To get a straight cut, it is better to fix the part in a vise. This is especially important when working with pipes and angles.
- When working with hard metal, more force is needed to move the tool away from you. This will allow the teeth to sink into the flesh faster. The degree of effort needs to be adjusted to suit the density of the workpiece.
- If thin sheet metal must be sawed, it is clamped between two bars and secured in a vice. Workpiece is not released until cutting is complete.
Theoretically, it is possible to cut rather thick metal with a hacksaw, but it requires a lot of effort and time. That’s why massive workpieces are cut in alternative ways. And for pipes, it is better to use a pipe cutter, as an ordinary metal blade slips when passing over a cylinder, which is fraught with obtaining an uneven cut. Manual tool is capable of working with thick sheet metal, pipes, fittings, rolled sections.
What a hacksaw for metal looks like
Hand saw for metal. a tool that should be present in every man, as there is a huge variety of household works, in particular construction, where it is impossible to do without it.
But due to the huge variety of this kind of hacksaws, people may have difficulty selecting a quality product.
universal sabre saws
Hacksaw blades for metal. narrow saws, which are equipped with fine teeth. They are easily recognized by the frame, similar to the letters C and P, on which the hacksaw blade is stretched. Outdated models have handles (placed parallel to the blade). Upgraded models already have a “pistol” handle.
Saws for working with wood. regarded as the most common type of tool. Used to saw plywood, a variety of wood building materials. Equipped with a slightly beveled working surface, where sawing teeth are attached to the side.
Saws for concrete materials. can be visually confused with a joiner’s saw. Distinguishing features. large teeth. Also available with carbide tips. This makes it possible to saw not only foam blocks, but also sand-concrete materials.
Hacksaw Basics: How to buy and use a hacksaw.
Characteristics of the swivel chair with a hacksaw
The pivoting hacksaw is a piece of equipment consisting of a saw and an adjustable stand that can be used to adjust the angle of cut from 15 to 135 degrees. The blade may be made of metal or plastic. The first option is used for cutting molded elements of small thickness, and the second. for a small amount of work.
Stand in the form of a chair is used to give the tool additional rigidity, while at the same time performing the role of the limiter. Saws with a blade equipped with small cutters can have a length of 290-600 mm.
When sawing the workpiece, the cutting element enters at a certain angle, simultaneously in the vertical and horizontal planes. Thanks to this two-plane tool it is possible to form a bevel on the end face of the workpiece of any configuration.
How to use a hacksaw
The rotating jigsaw is one of the best professional-quality wood and metal saws. It is reasonable to use it for carpentry work of increased complexity. Weight of the equipment is 2-4 kg. Metal hacksaw with jigsaw. 2 thousand
To operate such a tool it is necessary to fix the frame on the work surface with self-tapping screws or a clamping clamp. Markings on the workpiece to be machined show the cutting points. The product is fixed on the jigsaw so that the mark coincides with the slots on the plate. Then it is required to set the degree of angle of cut and fix the hacksaw so that it works in the same plane. After that the workpiece is cut.
Hacksaw for metal manual: choice, use
Hacksaw or metal saw is a hand tool, the main purpose of which is to cut various metal parts. The hacksaw is also suitable for working with other types of materials, such as, for example, plastic or wood. This tool has many advantages, so it occupies a worthy place in the arsenal of every self-respecting home craftsman.
Number of teeth
The determining factor is how many teeth are in an inch. The following depends on it:
- How many teeth per inch determines performance. With an increased number of cutting edges the task at hand becomes considerably more difficult, the chips become finer.
- A large quantity allows you to get a quality cut. This is achieved by reducing the resulting chips.
In addition, an increase in quantity causes an increase in the cost of the product.