How to properly wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer: step-by-step guide and video instructions
A beautiful lawn will look really well maintained only if you regularly mow the grass. The grass trimmer is best suited for processing complex areas. Any owner of the unit sooner or later will face the problem of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool, because from the wrong actions can not only worsen the quality of mowing, but also to withdraw the equipment from failure. Today in our Homius review we will tell you about all the ways and nuances of replacing the line and the peculiarities of the choice of consumable material.
grass trimmer is convenient to use for mowing small or difficult areas, such as near the fence, between the beds and along the paths. Today, manufacturers produce a large variety of gasoline, electric and battery-powered models, which can be selected for any needs of owners.
A line for trimmer is used as a cutting element of grass trimmer. In the process of work, sooner or later its length will run out, and then the owner will be faced with the question of how to properly replace and fix the thread tucked into the removable spool.
First of all, to wind the fishing line requires removing the spool (spool, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working arrangement of the motor and spool in the bottom, usually have side keys on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the spool, along with the internal contents for winding the fishing line, detaches, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is desirable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and get lost;
- Electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved bar without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wing nut: in such designs should be one hand to hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise to rotate the fixing reel on the boom nut, wing nut. After loosening the nut the entire bobbin is removed.
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a knife on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the rod, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow spinning motion achieves a mutual arrangement where the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is secured. The bobbin body is then turned clockwise (with left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, spools, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In spools with a drum unscrew the drum, in spools with latches the latches-fixators are pressed and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the bobbin halves are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Winding a double fishing line
Usually the spool is divided into 2 parts by a partition. It is necessary to take the line for the trimmer from the coil and wind it in one half to measure the capacity at the selected diameter of the cord. Reel so much that the cord does not protrude. Once half full, you need to coil back the line for the trimmer, remembering the used meter. The cord should be cut exactly 2 times as long as it will fit on the half of the spool.
Reaching the end you need to fix the ends of the line in the special opposite notches on the side of the spool. As one of them is longer, the free tails at the output are almost the same.
Now you need to insert the spool into the base with the spring. In doing so, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through the holes in the mowing head. They are pulled up to release from the grip of the slots on the spool. After putting the lid on, the head is ready to use.
How to wind a line on the grass trimmer reel
Filling the line into the tool spool, at first glance, is not a simple matter. But it is enough to study this process carefully. and further all necessary actions will be made without any difficulties.
To find out how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer, it is worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the spools of different types of trimmers, so they are applicable to any tool.
- The fishing line reel is the lower end of the grass trimmer. First of all, of course, it is necessary to remove this head from the device. This is done by securing the spool pin (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the spool is mounted. Make sure you fasten it in such a way that it doesn’t twist. To do this is easiest to do, placing between the threads of the shaft through a special hole a kind of stupor (preferably a metal one). When the shaft is fixed, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage it is necessary to remove the bobbin from the head, to which the line for the trimmer is attached. To do this, it is necessary to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find the lock on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When the catch is found, press it firmly. Keeping the catch pressed, rotate the head cap clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- Between the bobbin and the head is a tight spring. It should be set aside for a while so it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding to the thread winding step, the bobbin must be inspected. If there is any old fishing line on it, remove it. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new coil.
- From the pre-prepared roll of new fishing line it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. The bobbin must be handy.
At this point actually begins the key stage, to which this article is dedicated.
The first method of winding the line
Spools come in two types. In general, they do not differ much from each other. Regardless of the type, the spool is divided into two compartments. the upper and lower. In the first type, the separating edge is not closed in a ring and has a recess.
In the second type it is solid, but near it on both sides there are small through holes. The way of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the spool belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter section must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then insert the folded point into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool and the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, the thread must be held so that it is not twisted and the upper half is winded to the top half of the spool and the lower half to the bottom half. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small notches (or grooves) in the top edge of the bobbin to hold the consumables in place. The ends of the thread should be inserted into these slots so that they are fastened one opposite the other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material into the tool. the ends fixed on the bobbin must be slipped into the appropriate holes in the head of the grass trimmer.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. All that remains now is to reassemble the head as a unit. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended to pull the loose ends of the thread outwards. To do this, take turns pulling the ends of the consumable so as to remove them from the grooves of the bobbin. To check that the cutting element is removed from the holding grooves, try pulling the threads out so that they can exit through the slots in the head without hindrance.
- Press the bobbin down and place the cover over it. Screw the cover to the head so that all the grooves on their housings are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And lastly, and most importantly, the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. the line for the trimmer is threaded into the spool. The grass trimmer is now ready for use.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared length of six meters, you need to bend exactly in the middle and cut it. This way you get two pieces of equal length.
- At one end of each segment a small “hook” should be made. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it briefly so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then you take a single piece of. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now the key stage can begin. the winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to make sure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the top of the spool. It is not necessary to wind the thread up to the end. about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- There are small notches (called grooves) in the upper edge of the reel for fixing the consumable material. The loose “tail” of the thread should be inserted into one of these notches.
- The upper part of the spool is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the lower part. The second length of thread is taken. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And this piece of thread should also be left free about fifteen centimeters from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one in which the end of the first piece is inserted.
Selecting the fishing line
To easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer reel, it is worth determining what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread, tucked into the head, the more difficult the tasks it can perform. It should be noted that often universal thread is used, which does not exceed a width of 2 mm. You, in turn, can determine the size by using the following methods:
- Read the information set out in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Check the suitability of the line for use on their own, trying to insert it into the hole of the spool;
- Check the bobbin for information on the diameters permitted for use.
The choice of fishing line for filling in the grass trimmer reel can be made by the type of engine. For example, excessively thick fishing line may affect the rotational resistance. Because of this the load on the engine will increase, which will certainly affect the quality and duration of its further operation.
Avoiding negative effects is easy. To do this, you need to take into account that for electric motors with power up to 500 watts is ideal for trimmer line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm. If you can not get such a thread, you can use 1.6 mm cord. 2 mm diameter yarn, in turn, is used for engines with more than 1 kW. It is worth noting that 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If a gasoline-powered device has a straight shaft, you should use 2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest lines are installed exclusively on devices, the power of which is equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last, but not least, the type of cross-section of the line is an important factor. When selecting it, it is worth focusing on the tasks set for the garden tool. There are several in-demand cross-sectional options:
- Twisted. has a small safety margin and is therefore only suitable for young grass
- serrated. characterized by sharp edges, suitable for working in overgrown weeds;
- round. the most common cross-section. These lines are good for fresh grass, but not good for bushes and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-section types. because of their low strength are used for working on lawns.
The most durable and versatile cord is a two-component line for trimmer with a circular cross-section, inside which is located the core. This is the kind of thread that is suitable for most jobs. Keep in mind, however, that using fishing line, ordinary wire and other third-party materials as cord carries a danger to others.
How does the line head work on a brushcutter why do you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are the instructions on how to disassemble a grass trimmer head without a spring, i.e.е. on the hand-held head. The principle of dismounting a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a spool, which is mounted on splines, preventing its free movement
- The reel is actuated by a spring, which presses it onto the slits in the cover structure
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. This length is usually 1 to 4 meters
- During work, if the need to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the reel is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the slits. The line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, increasing in length
- After releasing the necessary amount of line, release the clamp and continue mowing the grass
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. over, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, this is a point that most owners of special tools causes difficulties.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a brushcutter spool: method 1
Open the trimmer head before winding.
First, the amount of fishing line to be wound on the bobbin is determined. The coil should not go over the sides, otherwise the spool will not fit into the casing.
After determining the length of the fishing line, you can proceed to threading it into the bobbin:
- the line for the trimmer is folded in half, one edge should be 10-15 centimeters longer. The bobbin is divided into two parts by the central rib. It has a groove for the court, which must be bent in half. Tightening will be required for threading;
- The important thing is the winding direction. There should be an arrow or inscription on the bobbin indicating the winding side. If there is no indicator, there should be an arrow on the head of the mower. The cord is wound to the opposite side;
- The line for the trimmer should be wound as carefully as possible, the thread should be as taut as possible;
- After completing the laying, the short end of the thread is fastened, it is inserted into the appropriate diameter groove on the side of the spool. The long edge is fastened on the opposite side;
- At the fixed fishing line you need to cut the edges with a gap of about 10 centimeters;
- The thread spool is inserted into the mowing head. The edges of the thread are pulled up from the fixing grooves;
- The cover is put on and secured with latches. It should be completely secured.
Working with such equipment, as grass trimmers, requires caution and attention. Safety precautions during operation are mandatory for beginners and experienced mowers. Sometimes confident mowers let their guard down, make irreparable mistakes and suffer serious injury. That is why it is important when working with the machine
- Secure the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not coil more line than necessary: it is difficult to unwind later.
- After filling the reel, be sure to check the operation of the tool before mowing.
- Choose only quality material which is suitable for the trimmer.
You should not try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear eyeglasses and appropriate footwear.