Tools for interior door installation: electric, manual, consumables
Select and buy your favorite door in the apartment is very easy, the difficulty begins during installation. Installing interior doors is not an easy process that requires certain skills, time and proper tools. Special equipment for mounting the door leaf should be prepared in advance. if this is not done, additional time will be wasted. In addition, the hasty purchase of tools is fraught with the fact that you can run into low-quality installation kit.
To determine the list of equipment, you should carefully consider the upcoming set of works: from the application of marking and embedding the hinges to the finishing of door jambs. A basic set for the installation of interior doors has about a dozen names, but you can not do without one. To perform the work qualitatively and without the need for further adjustments, you need to write a list of devices that will be needed at all stages of installation.
All the devices needed for the installation of the door can be divided into two categories: manual and electrical.
Selection of the locking mechanism
- in the shape of the handle, which can be spherical (knob) and L-shaped;
- by the presence of a locking device. with or without a locking device;
- by type of locking device: a key and/or a lock in the form of a button or a lever.
That is, the keyhole may be on two sides or on one side. then on the other is a manual lock (latch lock). There are also locks only with a latch, without a key.
In the doors between the living rooms are also inserted flat mortise locks with or without handles, and simple keyed wrenches. There are two types of doors: those that can be opened with a key on both sides and those that have a thumbturn on one side.
Latches without a latch have one function: they hold the door closed and do not let it swing open due to draughts. When you push or turn the handle, the tongue of the latch slides into the groove and the door opens easily. It doesn’t lock from the inside or keep people out, so you’ll usually install it in a common room or kitchen.
Tip! When the door is closed and the metal tongue goes into the hole in the doorjamb, it makes a loud clanging sound. If it bothers you, look for a plastic latch.
The installation of locks in inter room door is necessary when it is necessary to have an opportunity to lock the door from inside. in a bedroom, or in a bathroom, or a toilet. Locking latches are perfect for such rooms. And mortise locks and other locking devices with keys are indispensable for rooms where access must be restricted in the absence of the owner. Usually this is an entrance to the office and rooms that are dangerous for children. boiler room, basement, etc.п.
Please note! When choosing a lock, make sure that its thickness is less than the thickness of the door leaf and is suitable for mounting.
Installing the door frame.
Interior door frame can be installed in two ways: with the use of fixing metal plates or using screws with dowels. The picture below shows these 2 ways.
Fastening of the door frame with mounting plates.
The use of mounting plates, which are used in the installation of plasterboard, is possible only when the finishing of the walls is not yet. Under the plates you will need to hollow out a small hole in the wall, which will then be covered with putty.
Fastening with mounting plates.
The plates are screwed on the backside of the box with 3×13 self-tapping screws with a press washer.
As you can see in the picture above, the plates are attached in places where the hinges are installed, opposite the hinges and one plate on top of about the middle of the box.
Fastening the frame with self-tapping screws and dowels.
The method of fixing with a self-drilling screw with dowel implies through drilling the sides of the box. But to avoid seeing the heads of the self-tapping screws they are installed in certain places. Two self-tapping screws are installed under the hinges, and one self-tapping screw in the place where the response plate for the latch tongue will be located.
To hide the self-tapping screws under the hinges, you must first drill a hole 3 mm in diameter where the hinges will be installed, and then slightly drilled them to form a small hole for the self-tapping head.
Drill a hole for the fastening screw.
In the place where the tongue of the latch will be located, just drill a hole with a diameter of 3 mm. Deepening under the head of the screw is not necessary. In this place, fixing the box with a self-tapping screw will be temporary. After fixing the box with mounting foam, this screw must be unscrewed. Then the latch counterplate will be embedded here. At this place one mounting foam is quite enough to fix the frame and at the side of the hinges, where the door frame will be exposed to the door weight, the fastening will be strengthened with self-tapping screws.
Installing the door frame.
- Install the frame into the opening.
- Make sure that the inner side of the frame (in which direction the door will open) is level with the wall.
Aligning the door frame with the wall.
- Flatten the upper lath in the door opening and check its level by using the spirit level. As wedges you can use any scraps of wood or door frame struts.
The upper bar is wedged in the door opening.
- Fasten the vertical strut with self-tapping screws on the hinge side.
- Level the frame on the hinge side and check it on two planes (we put the level inside the frame and on its side).
- Fasten the second post with one self-tapping screw. Check it with a spirit level. Also make sure the distance between the uprights at the top is the same as the distance between the uprights at the bottom.
- Unlock the second post.
- Hang the door on the frame. Beforehand you have to screw the hinges to the door. It is convenient to hang the door when it is open and with some kind of padding underneath its edge.
Place the spacer under the edge of the door and hang it on the door frame.
First screw down the top hinge and then the bottom one.
- Check if the installation is correct. The open door should not move in any position. This means that it is properly installed.
- Close the door and install pads 3mm thick between the door leaf and frame pillars. Also put spacers on the top of the door. At this point, the box post, which was fastened with a single screw, may not be in place. The gap between the leaf and the post may be too small or large. In this case we move the post to the required position by unscrewing and screwing the self-tapping screw and re-screw the post.
- Fill the gaps between the box and the opening with assembly foam.
We use assembly foam.
The optimal time for installation
Complete installation of doors. it is not easy and quite dirty, so you need to choose the right stage of repair, which is already possible to work on the openings. After carefully studying the process of installation, you begin to understand that you need to choose such a time that:
- on the one hand installation is not reflected in the state of the made repair, so that the wallpaper, flooring and other elements are not damaged;
- On the other hand, so that the coating of the door can not be damaged during the repair work.
- If you have to remove the old box, expand or narrow the opening, it is better to do it in the first stages of repair;
- If the standard dimensions of the products and the doorway are completely the same, you can begin installation after finishing the ceiling and walls;
- You can split the process into two steps, first mount the box, and the canvas and trim hang after wallpapering
- If the installation of the door frame is entrusted to experienced professionals, then the installation can be postponed to the final period of repair.
By the time of installation, all elements must be purchased. In case of self-assembly it is necessary to be equipped with tools. If the installation will be done by invited specialists, it is necessary to clarify what consumables the customer must buy (installation foam, fasteners and so on), and what the performers provide.
In order to work with the aforementioned materials it is necessary to have at your disposal certain tools for installing doors. It is possible to allocate a list of mandatory tools, without which it will be impossible to carry out such installation work:
- Measuring tape. This is the main measuring tool, without which it is impossible to perform any construction process.
- Level. Allows you to check the correct position of one or another element both vertically and horizontally.
- Saw. Used for sawing the elements of the frame, arch boards, trimmers, etc. д. For metal, it is better to use an angle grinder.
- Drill. Enables holes to be drilled in the wall for further fixing of the opening design elements, as well as in the door itself when installing fittings.
- Chisel. Used to remove the layer of material when inserting the hinges, handle or lock.
- Hammer. Used for fixing the trim and adjusting the elements of the bow.
- Trowel. It is used to apply and level plaster when finishing the opening.
The basic tools necessary for interior door installation
What other additional tools may be needed for the installation of interior doors? It is possible to distinguish the following tools:
Additional tools for door installation
In case you do not have the entire arsenal of tools that are needed to install the doors, some tools can be interchangeable, such as an electric screwdriver and screwdriver or drill.
If you want to achieve a perfect result without excessive effort, prepare a maximum list of the described devices. Nevertheless, with knowledge and skill you can get by with a minimum number of tools and it will not affect negatively on the final work.
What tools do you need for installing doors?
Hello, I am interested in the question of what tools I will need for the installation of doors?
Install interior door yourself, if you have in the arsenal of tools to perform all the work without the involvement of professionals.
Tools needed to assemble and install the door frame Assemble the door frame can be two ways of sawing the vertical, horizontal struts. Connect the elements with self-tapping screws, proceed to install in the opening. Installation can go quickly, without problems. But there are situations that require modifications of the opening.
All steps are performed with the following tools:
For filing corners. an end circular saw or a plane saw with a hacksaw.
A coping saw and a compound saw with a hacksaw are indispensable for filing corners
To drill the holes for screws a drill with a set of screws of the required diameter (the size of screws).
Necessary tools for drilling holes for self-tapping screws
To screw in screws you need an electric screwdriver or screwdriver set
For installation of the frame in the opening:
Everything you need to install the frame into the door opening
At all stages can not do without a pencil, tape measure, in order to properly apply the marks.
A tape measure and pencil are needed to get the marks right
If there are problems with the opening (it is smaller or larger in size), tools are used to correct the dimensions:
With these tools you can increase or decrease the size of the door opening
Using these items, you can enlarge the opening. To reduce the dimensions, make additional inserts on the perimeter, seal or cemented.
Many of the tools on the list are available in a man’s home. If something is missing, buy more. In the household will come in handy.
A tool for installing doors: the choice of professionals
Installing solid wood doors. methods available to amateurs
Installing hinges on the interior door: types of hinges, installation methods. Video instructions on how to install different hinges with your own hands
What you need to install an interior door
As with any other installation work, the successful installation of interior doors requires special tools and consumables.
Proceeding to the independent installation of interior doors, you need to arm yourself with the appropriate tools:
- an electric drill with a set of nozzles (for screws with different slots);
- Set of wood drill bits (the bigger the range, the better);
The distinctive feature of a wood drill is a sharp tip
Using the end saw blanks for door frame, architraves and filler elements are quickly and qualitatively prepared
The chair is designed for cutting parts at different angles
Accuracy of measurements during assembly of interior doors affects the quality of their further use
Assembly foam (plus a gun for its application);
The foam is applied with a special foam gun
A coarse thread pitch allows to reliably fasten the wooden parts between each other
What cutters are needed for the installation of interior doors
If it is possible to buy or rent a router, it is definitely worth taking advantage of it. Using a hand-held cutter, drilling for hinges and locks is considerably accelerated. Chisels are no longer needed and the quality of the groove is improved. In order to optimize the process, it is advisable to use cutters with a small diameter. Thanks to this you will have to cut less wood in the corners by hand. For example for door hinges the milling cutter with a diameter of 9,5 mm is ideal. For picking the lock a slot cutter of a corresponding length is used (to the depth of the mortise of the locking device).
The main characteristics of a groove cutter include the height and diameter of its working part, as well as the size of the shank for the router clamp
The average installation time per door for a professional carpenter is 2 hours. If the hinges and lock are embedded manually without using a router, this time increases to 3 hours.
Saw for box trimming
A few words about the electric saw. When installing a single door, there is of course no point in buying a “circular saw”, especially an end mill. An ordinary hand saw with a fine (furniture) tooth can be used.
Even and clean cuts can be made with a saw with fine, unsharpened teeth
But if there is a construction or renovation of an entire apartment, in which 5 to 15 doors are installed, you can think at least about renting a tool. Quality and speed of assembly with the use of an end saw increases several times. Much also depends on the type of doors and architraves. Some have to be adjusted to the right size, others require virtually no cutting.
Preparing the opening for the interior door
The main task in the preparation of the doorway is to:
- Remove unnecessary materials from the wall face (foam, plaster, broken bricks, etc). д.);
- Creating the correct geometric shape of the hole in the wall (rectangle, not a trapezoid).
If the brickwork is in poor condition, it must be plastered with cement mortar
In new constructions the door openings should in theory have dimensions close to the standard ones. But in practice this is not always the case. In a house or apartment, where the reconstruction takes place, before installing the new ones, it is necessary to remove the old doors. If at the same time the opening was damaged, it must be restored. leveled and plastered.
The following geometrical parameters of the opening influence the quality of the door.
Measured height from the “clean floor”, t. е. the level of finish flooring, e.g. laminate, tiles, linoleum, etc. д. The height must be the same throughout the plane. A similar requirement is made for the floor. there should be no bumps and pits on it, especially if the door being installed does not contain a threshold in its construction. all defects will remain visible. The height of the opening must be 6-7 cm more than the vertical dimension of the door itself.
The size of the door opening must take into account technological tolerances for installing the frame and the necessary installation clearances
Similar requirements are applied to the width of the opening. it must be the same throughout the whole height of the door. Vertical planes must be at right angles to the floor and parallel. If this is not the case, the sidewalls need to be aligned. The width of the door opening is determined based on the width of the door leaf. to it add 10 cm (5 cm on each side).
The thickness (or depth) of the opening
An important condition that must be observed when preparing the opening. the end must have a rectangular shape. At the bottom, at the intersection with the floor, there should be a right angle (90 degrees). If the thickness of the walls will not be the same, gaps will form under the trim, which, in fact, is a marriage.
The main points in a nutshell
To mortise a lock with a router or to hang hinges on a door, it is necessary to choose the right tool. It is best to use a simple plunge model, as the combination model has a lot of weight. This will create some inconvenience, especially if there is no experience in such treatment of wood.
It is not difficult to use a plunge router for plunge cut fittings. But the process is greatly facilitated in the presence of special templates. Having put the fixture in the desired place, all that remains is to set the tool to the desired working depth and set it on top.
You have to watch the process closely in order to spot overload in time. It can occur if the structure of the wood is too hard. Then simply reduce the speed of the tool using a special switch on the housing.