Fixing the plastic window frame to the wall
Most often for the installation of the support profile is one of two options, which will be described in detail below.
The first way
Used relatively rarely by novice installers or in the case of self-installation at home. The essence of the method consists in the consecutive installation: firstly, the underlying profile, and then the window unit.
- According to the dimensions of the frame, the base plate is cut off and aligned;
- The prepared part is leveled at the bottom of the cleaned opening;
- The distance between the top of the opening and the profile is measured with a tape measure and then the preliminary fitting of the unit is performed. If from above, between the frame and the window, there is an excessively large gap (more than 3 cm), it is reduced by adjusting the position of the trim strip. Usually for this use plastic spacers of different thickness (wooden bars or wedges are undesirable to use. wood changes its size depending on the season and the surrounding humidity).
When the allowable gaps are created along the entire perimeter of the opening (optimal 1.5-2 cm), they are sealed with assembly foam.
The second way
Qualified installers do things differently. The window is installed together with the profile in this sequence:
- First remove the profile screwed to the block, for this you need to unscrew the fasteners and pull the bar from the junction slots.
- In one of the chambers, if possible, insert insulation.
- The joint between the trim strip and the lower frame profile is filled with sealing tape or foam (a combination of these materials is possible).
- Fix the underlay profile in its place from below the frame.
- The window unit is leveled in the opening, fixed with anchors or brackets, and then the gaps are filled with assembly foam.
Pay attention! At the bottom of the base profile make a minimum gap, sufficient for full penetration of assembly foam. To put the window unit without the bottom clearance (just on the lining strip) is not allowed, because in this way it is impossible to achieve the required tightness of the adjacency and the maximum tightness of the construction.
After the foam cures (2-3 hours) its surplus is cut off and a place for window sill installation is prepared. The installation is performed in the L-shaped recess between the frame and the trimmer strip. The window sill in this case is partially (10-15 mm) under the frame, and its fixation is performed from below with the same assembly foam.
The sprue is fastened to the support strip in a recess on the outer side of the block. This prevents water from getting under the outside of the window. The surface of the opening must be prepared in advance, so that there are no voids under the drainage.
Tools and consumables for repair and installation of plastic windows
The universal plastic roller is used at manufacturing of any mosquito grids and is intended for convenient and uniform rolling of the mosquito cord into the groove of the frame profile. It is especially important for in-line production of mosquito nets
A special spatula that allows you to accurately install, lift and adjust the glass pane when installing or repairing the window. Working part in soft plastic, handle in wood
Special paddle for accurate installation, lifting and adjustment of the glazing unit during installation or repair of the window. Working part made of soft plastic, handle made of wood
Alignment hammer. professional tool to accurately slam the window bars without risk of damaging the glazing unit. Consists of a wooden handle (holder) and a metal head with two interchangeable blows (rubber and plastic), diameter 35 mm
Paint Rubber Hammer. professional tool for cleanly closing glazing beads without risk of damaging the glazing bead. It consists of a rubberized metal handle (holder) and a metal head with two interchangeable strikers (one rubber, one plastic), diameter 35 mm
Professional assembly multifunction spanner used for window and door handles size adjustment, profile cylinder dimensioning, and will also help check the functionality of the latch. 1. Selection of window/door handle pin size 6mm, 7mm and 8mm;.
MACO specialized pull-off assembly lever designed for regulation and removing of pins of ironmongery hinges for PVC windows and doors. The set includes spare pin-removal plates, which are inserted inside the pull-out handle body
ROTO’s multi-purpose tear-off assembly wrench (P010A30) is intended for adjusting and removing pins of ironmongery hinges on PVC windows and doors
MACO specialized multi-purpose wrench for adjusting and assembling window hardware. Kit includes: 1. MACO breakaway assembly handle for adjusting and removing pins of hardware hinges. Replacement pin-removal plates are inserted inside the pull-out handle body;.
Specialized 4 mm VORNE hexagon wrench with T25 star is intended for adjusting ironing of fittings on PVC windows and doors, as well as for fastening of top sash hinge to scissors
The ROTO 4 mm specialised Allen key is used for adjusting the clamping force of fittings on PVC windows and doors. Made of hardened steel
Pneumatic jack. professional tool for precise alignment of window construction when installing PVC windows. Cushion covered with special non-slip coating, will not damage window profile and can withstand loads up to 100 kg
Professional Ultima electric screwdriver bit is made of high-strength S2 alloy steel, has a magnetic head and a PH2 slot type. Length of the bit is 50 mm Packaged. 10 pcs
Correction marker (RENOLIT, Germany) designed to retouch joints in PVC profile laminations, as well as to correct various noticeable scratches and damages of laminated profile, occurred during transportation or operation of window constructions. Also suitable for furniture.
Cotton gloves (10 CLASS, 5-thread weave) with PVC coating (dot) on the palm part are intended for hand protection against dirt, possible injuries and irritations when performing construction, repair and other types of works. A layer of PVC prevents the fins from slipping.
Basic window adjustment points
Self-adjustment of windows is not a difficult task, because there are only five points, the work with which will save us from the problems:
- on the bottom hinge is the point of the vertical position of the sash adjustment;
- On the bottom hinge we find the point of horizontal adjustment of the bottom corner;
- working with the top hinge adjusts the top of the sash horizontally;
- in the center, next to the locking mechanism, is the point that is responsible for the window sash contact, for the pressing power;
- the bottom hinge also adjusts the sash’s closing force.
in addition to these points, the cause of thermal, hydro and acoustic insulation problems can be inadequate construction or sealing of the lining. Therefore, be sure to find the cause of the problem before you begin, because if it is in the slopes, a hexagon and an electric screwdriver will not help us, and will need the help of a master.
Rules and regulations for the installation of the product is quite a lot. If you follow them, the profile will be assembled according to GOST, the installation of plastic windows. The company that will do the work, should have special instructions.
They are developed by special institutions. After that, the leaflets are checked by the building authorities.
The design must comply with the project of the building or approved by its author. Before starting the process, check the condition of the walls, the heating system and ventilation.
The standards prescribe that organizations regularly conduct tests of the assembly joint. Unfortunately, if such systems do exist, no one adheres to this rule.
The next step of installing a plastic window with your own hands. is the attachment of the drainage. It must be installed in all circumstances. Without this external element of the window unit, all the water in the rain will get on the foam and under the frame. The inevitable result will be the destruction of the installation seam and the formation of gaps between the profile and the wall. The self-tapping screws are not fastened to the window itself, but to the support profile under the frame. First the waterproofing tape is laid. And then it is already on top of a drainage gutter is placed and fixed in place. Then the assembly foam is squeezed under this metal strip.
By the way, if you have so far in the country house has no electricity, then we advise to read the article about the gas generators for the house, as well as what good gasoline generator for a private home.
Vapour permeable sealing strip
The polyurethane sealant ensures the selfventilation of the joint between the frame and the opening. Due to the porous structure assembly foam passes through not only the air, but also moisture, which can lead to a build-up of moisture on the surface of the slopes and their damping. You can avoid these troubles by using pre-compressed self-insulated sealing tape.
Ventilation of a gap between opening and frame is provided due to the UASP
Window installation tape is a porous polyurethane foam treated with a special compound. One side of the foam is adhesive. Delivery to the place of installation is carried out in twisted form. It is necessary to unroll the material just before installation, otherwise it will lose its properties.
The PSUL is glued to the window structure, having previously removed the protective coating from the adhesive layer. This tape is sealing and self-expanding, that is, after the interaction of impregnation tape with oxygen increases its linear dimensions. As a result, the entire joint is sealed with the expansion joint tape.
It is important to take into account that for quality overlapping of the installation joint it is necessary to use the appropriate width of PSUL. Increasing in size, the tape acquires its vapor barrier properties and ensures the removal of moisture from the mounting seam, and protects it from atmospheric precipitation.
Installation of a vapor barrier tape is a prerequisite for the installation of windows
The self-expanding tape is available in a compressed state. It seals the inner joint against moisture. This protects the soffit and installation joint from mildew. Vapor barrier for PVC windows is a must.
You can install a plastic window by removing sashes and insulating glass units from the frame and assembly without disassembling the construction.
The first variant of installation is carried out as follows. the frame is released from sashes and double-glazed windows. To remove the sashes that can be opened, they must be closed and fixed in this position with the installed hardware. Then it is necessary:
- Remove plastic covers from hinges. To do it, you just need to gently pry them up with a screwdriver.
- Remove the pins from the upper and lower hinges with pliers.
- Open the sash and, holding it from above, carefully remove it from the frame
If the window has no sashes, then the glazing on the blinds is removed. To do this, follows:
- Pull the glazing bead aside with a narrow and wide tool, e.g. a spatula. Slide the narrow plate along the entire perimeter this way
- The glazing bead is removed completely
- The glazing unit is removed from the frame
- Remove the protective tape from the window
- Insert the frame into the opening and fix it with mounting wedges
- Use a drill with a diameter matching the thickness of the anchor bolts to make three holes on each side. Make a middle hole and two end holes in each side that must be 150-180 mm from the edge of the frame
- Check frame position using level and plumb line
- Fix a vapor-permeable film sealant to the bottom edge of the frame on the outside
- Install the drip flashing, which must be inserted into the small holes previously made in the sides
- Caulk all free space between the frame and the wall of the house. Also, the foam is treated the bottom part of the sill, which is adjacent to the wall
- Sashes and double-glazed windows are installed back into the frame
- On wooden pads, pre-treated with an antiseptic compound and installed on the bottom of the opening, the window sill is installed. This element also has to be slightly embedded into the wall on both sides. To do this, the window sill must be milled using a drill or a puncher
At installation of a window sill use of the silicone sealant is obligatory, as it fills joints and safely hermetic seals them. For these purposes, the use of liquid plastic is possible, as it has a more durable adhesion to the surface and does not lag behind in time from the effects of moisture, as a sealant. In this case the highest quality joints are achieved.
Silicone sealant is used for sealing joints
It is important to use only quality materials for the installation of plastic windows and equipment, then the window will perform their functions, reliably protect the room from the environment and provide optimal microclimatic conditions.