In the warm season, many dacha owners and owners of private homes are trying to figure out on their own why the grass trimmer does not start. The causes of malfunction of such a unit can be very different. To eliminate it, you need to understand what nodes this equipment consists of.
Manual starters are used to start gasoline trimmers. These components are used to move the crankshaft. The ignition of the first portion of fuel entails starting the engine, after which the grass trimmer is ready for operation. The perfect working of the machine is only possible when all critical components and mechanisms are functionally reliable.
Often there are situations when the device simply does not start. In such a situation you can’t do without good diagnostics. Specialists have described a special sequence of actions, thanks to which it is possible to understand why the gasoline trimmer does not start in the hot and even in the cold. Grass trimmer diagnostics consists of several important steps:
- The first thing to do is to make sure that there is fuel in the tank, and also to check its quality.
- Determine the color of the spark plug installed.
- Always check if the air filter is working properly.
- The fuel filter is responsible for quality gasoline and oil purification. The mixture should flow into the carburetor as evenly as possible.
- Check that the breather plug is in good condition.
- If all of the above options didn’t help fix the situation, then you’re left to check the muffler.
All of the above multifunctional assemblies can be source of difficulty starting a grass trimmer. complicated failures can be related to the multifunction carburetor, which also needs periodic cleaning. If the user is not confident in his abilities, then it is better to entrust all repair work to professionals, who will quickly find and eliminate the root cause of the equipment malfunction.
No fuel in the gasoline engine: Injector and carburetor
Let’s start with the fact that in the process of using the car drivers often encounter the fact that the engine does not start, works intermittently or suddenly slows down. The diagnosis usually involves the ignition system (on gasoline cars) and the power supply system.
As practice shows, unstable operation of the power unit on gasoline cars in many cases is associated with the fact that the engine does not receive gasoline. In this article, we’ll talk about why this happens, and what a driver should do if there’s no gasoline coming into the engine.
Possible lawn mower malfunctions and how to fix them
What to do if the tool does not work as it should? Check out our expert recommendations.
Unable to start the engine. In this case, there are several possible reasons:
- The spark plug is clogged. To fix this problem, you will need to use the manual and follow the instructions for starting the engine with a flooded spark plug. You don’t have the manual handy? Then do the following: set the start system in the RUN position (the designation may vary depending on the model of lawnmower), with the throttle trigger must necessarily be pressed. Next, pull the starter grip until the power unit is running. If after a long time and many attempts the engine will not start, it is advisable to call the service center for assistance from competent professionals.
- The fuel tank is empty. If this is the case everything is simple. Fill the tank with the right fuel mix (if you have a 2-stroke mower) or put oil in the crankcase and gasoline in a special tank if you are working with a four-stroke tool like the Honda UMK 435 T UEDT.
- The spark plug is not giving off a spark. Replace the old part with a new one
- Fuel may not be getting to the carburetor. Check if the fuel filter is dirty, it may need to be replaced. Check the fuel line, it might be loose or damaged. It may also need to be repaired or replaced.
- The last reason the factory settings are off and the carburetor needs adjustment. In this case, you can try to cope with such a mower on their own according to the manual, but it is better to contact the service.
The engine does not idle properly. The causes may be as follows:
- The carburetor needs adjustment, what should be done in this case, we described in the previous paragraph.
- The crankshaft seal may have worn down and there is no alternative but to call out for service.
- Low compression ratio. The help of a competent specialist is also required.
The engine accelerates poorly, loses power and begins to stall when the load is increased. What are the possible causes in this case:
- The air filter is contaminated. The carburetor needs to be cleaned or replaced with a new one.
- The spark plug is dirty. It also needs to be cleaned or replaced. Check the air gap, it may need to be adjusted.
- The carburetor needs to be adjusted. The solution to this problem is described in p.1.
- There could be a thick layer of carbon deposits on the muffler. You should call in a service center.
- Low compression ratio. If this happens, you will also need the assistance of a service partner.
The engine is emitting a lot of smoke. Let’s go to the causes of this mower malfunction:
- The air valve might be partially open. Check oil level and drain excess oil.
- Bad fuel mixture. First, the tank must be completely empty. Secondly, prepare a new fuel mixture in the correct proportions and fill the tank with it. Note that the gasoline must be fresh (no more than 2 weeks after purchase at the gas station).
- Dirty air filter. Clean it or replace it with a new one.
- The carburetor needs adjustment. See. Point 1.
Engine overheating. This problem is caused by the following reasons:
- Bad fuel mixture. The solution to the problem is described in the previous paragraph.
- Faulty spark plug. Replace with a replacement part recommended by the manufacturer.
- The carburettor must be adjusted. See. point 1.
- There is soot deposits on the muffler. Contact customer service to solve the problem.
Manufacturers caution: before proceeding with the above steps or inspection of the tool, stop the engine and disconnect the wire from the spark plug.
When adjustment is necessary
Carburetor adjustment is necessary in the following cases:
- new engine has been run-in (4-5 liters of fuel mixture used);
- the fuel composition (oil and gasoline grade) has changed;
- the weather has changed (it became hot, cold);
- the air pressure has changed (applies to mountainous areas);
- after long periods of storage;
- the load on the engine has increased (after changing tools, etc.).д.);
- the adjustment screws have come loose due to vibration;
- the fuel consumption has increased, the carburetor overflows fuel;
- a soot appears quickly on the electrodes of the spark plug (if the fuel mixture is prepared correctly)
- the engine starts and immediately stops or picks up revolutions badly;
- there is no petrol flowing into the cylinder;
- large amount of exhaust fumes.
Ways to fix the breakdown
It is not a secret that the best and the most effective way of repair is the prevention of possible malfunctions. As it has already been noted, one of the key points is how properly the gasoline-oil mixture is prepared. Its components must be gasoline not lower than AI-92 and high quality engine oil. The proportions with which the mixture is prepared are specified in the manufacturer’s manual that comes with any gasoline grass trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline with a simple medical syringe. This is the easiest way to maintain the correct proportions.
How to Fix a Trimmer Carburetor
Quite often, if there are problems with starting the brushcutter tool owners try to make repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills such an approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If clogging is detected, it will be easier to replace the filter with a new one. If the source of the problems is the air filter, it is possible to get out of a difficult situation even in the process with little time. It will be necessary to perform the following actions:
- remove the filter element;
- directly in the working conditions you can wash the filter with the used gasoline;
- When using a grass mower at home or on a cottage plot, water and simple detergents are used for cleaning;
- after rinsing the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- A completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- Remove excess lubricant by squeezing the filter element with your hands;
- The cleaned part is put back in place and fasten the plastic cover with screws.
If the actions described did not provide a positive result, the next step is to adjust the idle speed with the appropriate carburetor screw. Many publications and videos on the World Wide Web are devoted to this topic. When trying to solve the problems under consideration, you can take several steps.
Weedeater 101. The two most common reasons for failure to start.
- The grass trimmer is placed on its side so that the “air vent” is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to flow to the lower part of the carburetor. Often attempts to start the engine are successful, if pre-disassemble the mentioned part and send a couple of drops of gasoline directly into the carburetor itself.
- If after all the actions described it was not possible to bring the braid into working condition, then you should pay attention to the state of the spark plug and, in particular, the presence of spark. In parallel, all the fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- It is not uncommon for owners of gasoline-powered machines to find themselves in situations where the fuel and air filters are clean, the spark plugs are serviceable, the fuel mixture is fresh and of good quality, but the engine shows no signs of life. In such cases, experienced professionals recommend using the universal and tried-and-true method of starting. It is necessary to move the choke shutter to a closed position and pull the starter grip once. After the shutter is opened and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases the result is positive.
Problems may arise with the starter itself. Often there is a breakage of the cable and a breakage of the knob. You can solve such problems yourself. In other cases, as a rule, the starter is replaced. It is worth noting that this device can be purchased as a complete unit and installed with your own hands.
The spark plug can be filled with fuel when starting the engine of the grass trimmer. Even with a quality mixture and a good spark the device is unlikely to start. The most effective solution is to remove the spark plug and dry it out. At the same time you can check the performance of this part, and replace it if any malfunctions are found. Such a procedure involves a number of simple steps, namely:
- turn off the device and wait for the power unit to cool down completely;
- disconnect the wire;
- Remove the spark plug itself;
- Make an inspection of the dismantled part;
- make sure that there is a gap (0.6 mm);
- Screw in a new, working spark plug and tighten it.
In practice, many repairs related to the fact that the grass mower has stopped starting and with which sooner or later have to deal with in the operation of household lawnmowers, it is quite possible to cope with yourself. But in case of serious malfunctions, it will be more rational to turn to a specialized service. However, the key factor in such cases will be the ratio of the cost of repair and the price of a new grass trimmer.
Design and operation of the gasoline cylinder fuel system
To correctly determine the cause of the lack of gasoline in the engine cylinder, it is necessary to study the structure and operation of the fuel supply system of such engines.
The gas tank is noticeably lower than the engine, so the fuel comes in two ways:
To start a brushcutter that has not been used for some time, you first have to pump gasoline so that it fills the pipe and carburettor, thus forming a closed system.
The primer is made in the form of a rubber button, which is pressed with the finger, and the unidirectional movement of gasoline provides the valve.
When the operator has pumped the fuel, then performed the other preparatory activities, which we described here, and the engine is running, the second method of fuel supply is activated. When the plunger moves down during the intake stroke, it creates a vacuum in the mower’s combustion chamber that draws in atmospheric air through the air filter.
The basis of the carburetor is a Venturi tube, working on the same principle as the popular in the USSR pulverizer made of a vacuum cleaner and an ordinary glass jar.
The passing air stream entrains fuel droplets, the ratio of air and petrol in the ready mix depends on the diameter of the nozzle that limits the flow of combustible fluid.
the faster the engine shaft rotates and the harder the operator pulls the throttle trigger, the higher the airflow rate past the nozzle, which means more fuel enters the engine per unit time.
Basic rules for lawn mower operation
the lawnmower requires good and careful operation. This determines its expected lifetime and the absence of any serious malfunctions.
- keep an eye on the cooling system during operation;
- Timely cleaning of the charter channels and starter ribs, and for cleaning you should use special detergents or ordinary kerosene;
- to cool the tool before the subsequent cleaning.
If the fuel has been drained, let the machine idle until it stops. This will remove all residuals of the working mixture in time, regardless of the power of the device.
Causes of Fuel Failure
Here are the reasons why the fuel does not flow into the cylinder:
- ran out of gasoline in the tank;
- the fuel was not primed when starting the engine;
- the primer is defective;
- the fuel system is leaking due to improper tilt;
- the fuel system is leaky;
- the gas tank vent is clogged;
- The carburetor is clogged with dirty fuel.
I have run out of gas
the first sign that the tank is out of gasoline, is an unstable operation of the engine, which for a few seconds now resets, then briefly rises the speed, sometimes “sneezes”, then turns off and does not start.
It is not difficult to determine the cause. it is enough to look at the fuel tank. it is transparent, so the fuel level is always visible.
Most often with such a cause encountered inexperienced owners of trimmers, who do not know how to determine the time of work on one refueling. No harm motor trimmer for grass does not bring, but after filling the tank with fuel to pump the fuel in the system, if you add gasoline before it ends, you can do without pumping.
When starting the engine did not pump up the fuel with primer
This reason is also typical for inexperienced trimmer users who have not yet brought this action to the level of a reflex.
No negative consequences, except worrying about a possible machine breakdown, neglecting to pump the fuel will not give, but excessive worrying can lead to a breakdown of the equipment.
For example, an inexperienced user who tries to start the engine and fails to do so unknowingly begins to apply too much force to the starter rope, forgetting to select the free stroke, which can lead to a breakdown of the mechanism.
The most common cause of such a malfunction is a hanging valve that does not shut off the fuel flow in the opposite direction when the primer button is pushed.
To reliably determine the cause without disassembling the unit, pull the cable of the manual starter 30-50 times with the obligatory selection of a free move, but without interruption. If this causes at least “sneezing” of the engine, then the problem is really in the primer, so the trimmer needs repair.
Improperly tilted fuel system has caused the fuel system to become clogged
Fuel system choke caused by improper tilting occurs as follows
- changing the position of the drive shaft changes the angle of the fuel tank;
- gasoline tends to go down and away from the suction tube by gravity;
- air through the suction tube enters the fuel system and after the fuel in the tube and carburetor is exhausted, the engine stops getting gasoline;
- After sucking in even a small amount of air, the vacuum created by the engine is no longer enough to effectively move the fuel through the system, so even returning to a normal angle of inclination all leads to a stop the engine.
The fuel system is leaky
This is the most dangerous reason, because besides the disturbance of gasoline supply to the engine, it can lead to the inflammation of the escaping fuel, which can cause serious burns or fire.
Most often the source of the problem is either a leaking seal or a damaged or dislodged hose.
Any of the defects leads to a choke on the fuel system, and the main manifestation is gasoline drips and a strong odor.
The fuel tank vent stub pipe is clogged
Though the fuel system is airtight, there is a hole in the tank for air inlet to compensate for the wasted fuel. On the vast majority of trimmers, a hose runs through the vent, this protects the fuel from dust and dirt.
Air speed through the tube is slow, so dust or dirt is not sucked into it, so the fuel is not contaminated. If this tube is clogged, the resulting vacuum in the tank compensates the vacuum created by the piston, so fuel movement stops.
The carburetor is clogged with dirty fuel
Low-quality gasoline with large amounts of tar and dirt can clog the carburetor tubes and stop the engine from working properly.
On different modes of work the engine needs a fuel-air mixture with a certain proportion of air and gasoline, if the proportions change, the engine malfunctions.
A functioning carburetor reacts instantly to engine changes, including an increase in load by adjusting the amount of fuel, but clogging robs it of this ability. The result can be a dramatic drop in power and RPM, or a complete shutdown of the motor.
the grass trimmer gets very hot
Grass trimmer overheating can occur for many reasons:
- the gasoline does not have the octane rating that is specified in the machine’s manual;
- the proportions of gasoline and oil are not maintained during the preparation of the fuel mixture;
- The fuel-oil mixture was cooked a long time ago (the mixture must not be stored for more than 2 weeks);
- The grass trimmer runs longer than the specified time;
- A low-power grass trimmer is being used on thick and tough grass, the machine is overloaded and warms up quickly;
- the boom has shifted to the side or the cassette cap is stuck.
the last occurs when an unsuitable mowing head is installed, or when the axle is displaced inside the boom. These changes make it difficult to rotate, the load on the motor increases, and it overheats.
Grass trimmer No gasoline coming through carburetor Reason
To begin with, when driving a car, drivers are often faced with the fact that the engine does not start, does not interrupt or suddenly disappears. In this case, the diagnosis usually refers to the ignition system (on gasoline cars) and the power system.
As practice shows, unstable operation of the power unit on gasoline cars in many cases is due to the fact that the gasoline does not get into the engine. In this article we will talk about why this happens and what to do with the driver if the gasoline does not get into the engine.
Grass trimmer not getting gasoline through the carburetor cause
Vitaly (Kavon) from the vacuum cleaner should go 2 hoses! One hose is sort of a discharge (the cat is thinner)! maybe you didn’t put it in the right way?
Michael (Marge) discharge comes from under the intake manifold?
Maxim (Katherine) Yes, he has to pump air with the engine.
Mikhail (Marge) gasoline pump, that is this valve? got it right?
Zhenya (Alvis) there is no gasoline pump in the scooter. Gasoline pumps are just often mistakenly referred to as a gasoline valve.
Michael (Marge) here I start the scooter directly from the tank to the filter, and it does not start)or it only works necessarily with this valve?
Maxim (Katherine) No! You just trace the fuel flow through the line and that’s all, you do not need anything else! The main thing is that the fuel came. often inexperienced owners squeeze the pipes and then suffer. So watch closely!
Michael (Marge) fuel comes, but it is very difficult to start) and he pours, when he starts without the valve this) and starts with great difficulty
How to fix a string trimmer that won’t prime (purge bulb doesn’t work / won’t fill)
Zhenya (Alvis) Michael gets you bypassing the valve fuel poured directly into the carburetor and connector which is on the intake pipe you something plugged?
Michael (Marge) no, nothing plugged) just connect the hose from the tank to the filter directly) what is the connector?
Maxim (Katherine) Which pumps air into the gas valve.
Thanks for the good luck, the valve is broken, it means that it is all there?
Maxim (Katherine) So yes, but it needs to pump fuel and the needle doses it!
Vladimir (Randall) what model scooter? There may be many reasons. For example, you check the vacuum valve (if you take the hose that is responsible for rarefaction and pull the air out of it in itself and then close the hose gasoline must be poured) start badly may be because of the head in the case of a four-stroke engine or paddle valve, and maybe the carb, obozhem what scoot?
Michael (Marge) gx ranger? 82cc, changed the valve, reduced the float chamber and it all works
Vladislav (Muaz) I have the same crap then my scooter Honda Lead af 48 e 50cc! I do not know what to do??
Andrew (Bratumil) Scooter repair and tuning.
Alexander (Babak) I have a problem defiand agteko scooter, the spark is, sometimes it is very bad gasoline enters the carburetor poorly at idle, runs badly often loses gas
Tags: weed trimmer no gasoline through the carburetor cause
Dry and wet spark plug: what it means and how it affects engine starting
Most tool owners immediately resort to checking the condition of the spark plug contacts. This is done in order to understand from the state of the spark plug what can be the cause of inability to start the lawnmower engine. Based on the condition of the spark plug contacts, you can draw appropriate conclusions about what may be causing the malfunction. Diagnose the spark plug on the banzocosa in the following order:
- The spark plug is unscrewed, and then it is inspected. The ideal condition of the electrodes is if they have brown soot (brick-colored). If the spark plug is wet and has black or white soot on it, this indicates a related malfunction
- If the spark plug is wet, there is a portion of unburned fuel in the combustion chamber that does not need to be drained. Clean and dry the contacts of the spark plug, then make sure it is in good condition. To do this, connect it to the spark plug, and place it on the surface of the cylinder. Turn on the ignition, and pull the starter knob lightly. In this case, the spark plug should give a quality and constant spark. If the spark is weak or there is no spark at all, then you should replace the spark plug
- The Grasshopper may not start due to a large gap between the spark plug pins. The gap between the electrodes of the spark plug must be within the range of 0.7 to 1 mm. To set the gap, use special dipsticks
Important! Drying the spark plug contacts by burning them is categorically contraindicated, as this method will lead to the deterioration of the part. If there is a spark on the spark plug, but the grass trimmer does not start, then the reason is the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. To make sure this is the case, follow these steps:
- Draw 20 grams of fuel into a PET bottle cap or syringe
- Pour it into the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole
- Screw in the spark plug
- Put on the spark plug and start the engine
If the lawnmower engine starts after the work is done, then the cause of the malfunction should be sought directly in the fuel line and carburetor. If the engine does not start even after the performed actions, then it is necessary to check the serviceability of the high-voltage wire.
High voltage wire, like spark plugs, is a consumable item. If there is a suspicion of malfunction of the armature wire of the grass trimmer, then it should be replaced. If the lawnmower cannot be started after trying to start it, the following points must be taken into account
- If there are doubts about the serviceability of the spark plug and high-voltage wire, it is recommended to replace them immediately
- Check the serviceability of spark formation, and if there is no spark on the new spark plug, then the breakdown is related to the ignition unit. the coil failure
- The ignition coil is not repaired, but replaced. If, indeed, diagnosis indicates a faulty lawnmower ignition coil, it is not difficult to replace it with your own hands
If there is a spark plug, and it is dry, but the grass trimmer does not want to start, then proceed to check the next node. the air and fuel filters.
Important! If the electrodes of the plugs have a red or pink color, it indicates that the fuel used contains a large amount of additives. Do not use that kind of fuel and change your gas station or gasoline brand.