A circular is for you!
One of the most used tools, which are used for this task is a circular saw! Just need to know a few basic rules. First of all it is necessary to ensure a longitudinal movement of the wood. It is clear that it is practically impossible to do it on usual horizontal table, because while sawing it will roll from place to place, which is very inconvenient and can cause injury! Which we wouldn’t want to do at all.
The fin is such a device, the thickness of which corresponds to the width of the cut. But it is necessary to install this thing in such a way that it is possible to correct, to correct its position. It is very important!
Sawing the log into boards by two people is done as follows: firstly they saw it lengthwise, i.e. the work is done in a usual manner. Then, when the fin is fully in, the spacer is inserted, which should slightly exceed the width of the cut. We install a clamp-handle, which will perform two functions at once, one of which is holding, and the other will be needed to pull it conveniently.
The file. the spacer at this moment will not allow the board to deflect anywhere, which is very convenient! Next, you will need to act as follows: the first worker will pull the object by the clamp, and the other will press it to the ruler, which is used in this case to determine the width of the board!
The work is going well in the hands of the master! Business is booming! And the quickness of the action surprises themself!
How to cut trees properly with a chainsaw: basic rules, safety precautions, methods of cutting trunks
If you are planning to fell trees and think that having a chainsaw is enough for that, this is a mistake. Felling trees is quite dangerous, if not fatal. The slightest mistake and a tree trunk weighing a few hundred kilograms can collapse on you. Therefore, before sawing a tree with a chainsaw, you must carefully study the basic rules. this will not only help to avoid injury, but also greatly facilitate the process itself and accelerate it.
Technology of sawing
Some people may think that saw a log into boards at home easier. But this is a wrong judgment, especially if we are talking about the manufacture of construction material for the construction of any structure.
Before you split a log, you need to determine what size the lumber should turn out, and what quality the final boards should have. Choosing the right tool for the job depends on these factors.
The main phase of felling should be started only after inspecting the logs. It may be necessary to remove the bark and knots. If the logs do not have any flaws or defects, the processing will go much faster, and the final lumber will exceed all expectations of the craftsman.
To date there are several types of log cutting, depending on the orientation of the annual rings of the felled tree.
- Radial. In this case the logs are sawn in the radius of the rings. The finished sawn timber meets high quality requirements and will not deform even after long periods of use.
- Tangential. This variation involves sawing a log at a tangent angle to the annual rings. However the resulting lumber will not have the desired strength.
- Parallel. The most clear variant of cutting, which is parallel to the fibers of the tree.
When splitting a log in the direction of the fibers it is best to use the round timber option. Initially the round beams are cut from the 1st side. Then the log is turned over 180 degrees, and the 2nd hump is removed.
Always turn the log to be sawn in order to get the boards straight.
Regardless of how you choose to saw the different logs, there are a few general rules that must be followed when sawing.
- The log must not move during sawing. It must be securely fastened to the work surface.
- When using a chainsaw you will need a chain to cut lengthways so the cut is straight and the saw does not move sideways. It is very important that the chain is sharpened and does not sag.
- When sawing with your own hands choose small logs.
- Before you start sawing, you should make a marking corresponding to the cut you want to make.
- Great care must be taken with safety in every step of the log making process.
Knowing how to saw logs properly is only part of sawing techniques. It is much more difficult to work from a blueprint when you have a paper drawing to translate it into reality. With a clear-cut plan, each part of the sawing process is carefully measured. The lines of the cuts must be straight, which is very important in the production of decorative objects.
Before you get your hands on the chainsaw you need to get a clear view of the log. In this way, you can get the maximum amount of quality boards with a small residual waste.
To begin with a mark is put on the wood, corresponding to the type of lumber intended. Then support the log on the surfacing so it doesn’t move or swing around.
The log must be sawn horizontally. This method has the advantage of requiring very little effort to hold the chainsaw in your hands. For cutting lengthways you need a slitting device. You can buy these attachments in a store or make them yourself.
When using a longitudinal cutter attach it tightly to the chainsaw body and prepare the base surface relative to which the cut will be made. The saw must never be pressed, it must move smoothly on the work surface. Well, for convenience of work it is better to invite a partner. Extra hands will help secure the workpieces to put wedges in the saw.
On the sawmill
When working with the sawmill, it is important to consider the parameter of board thickness, taper and rotation of the raw material. The sawing on the band saw can be performed by the craftsman in several ways.
- Simple sawing. It involves sawing the log from top to bottom to produce untreated boards, as no turning is done. This method is considered the simplest, but has several disadvantages. The resulting boards have to be cut from the sides, and the lumber itself loses quality. Even during operation the center boards can crack.
- Circular sawing. You make a kerf, and then the sawyer turns the log over the other side. The wood is thus machined to its center. This method is considered the best for processing medium and high grade raw materials.
- Sawing cants. Initially the cut is made in a circle and the center of the log becomes a bar of a particular size which is later cut without leaving any residuals. This system is best for cutting low and medium-grade wood.
Specialists use two methods for circular sawing and cants sawing schemes.
The first one makes no allowance for taper, while the second one requires taking it into account. The first method selects the worst edge for the initial cut. However, without taking into account the taper a lot of humps will remain. Sawing on the good side of the log runs parallel to the bark, so that the craftsman gets a large number of elongated boards of excellent quality.
To start sawing a good face of the raw material taking into account the taper, you need to fix the log so that the saw has a direction parallel to the bark.
In both cases, the final boards have the same characteristics. However, using the second method, it is much easier for the sawyer to pick the best edge.
As for the question of turning the log. A 180-degree rotation of the raw material produces uncut boards, the sides of which require additional machining. At 90 degrees, half edged and unedged boards come out, which need to be finalized only on one side.
Freehand Chainsaw milling special method
Turning 180 degrees allows you to get quality samples of the final material with wide dimensions. If the sawmill has only one saw, it is much more convenient to turn the raw material similar to the right angle.
After the opposite sides have been sawn, the worst part of the log is machined without taking into account the taper. But a good edge requires a cut parallel to the bark, which increases the quality of the final lumber.
What to encounter when sawing logs?
Centuries and millennia pass, new materials and technologies appear, but wood, stone and metal are and remain the basic materials used by the mankind in its needs. Products made of them are all around us, wherever we go.
Especially noteworthy is wood, which creates an atmosphere of coziness and comfort everywhere. Metal and stone are cooler and more concise, but wood is even warm to the touch. That is why the first two materials are often used for load-bearing structures and wood for interior decoration, although after being restored to a more appropriate look.
Before a log can be properly sawn, it must be inspected. If there are no significant imperfections on the outside of the wood, the treatment can be done quickly and with virtually no loss of wood.
Logs should be sawn so that the resulting materials have equal density. And to do this you must remember that the wood on the north side of the log is more dense than on the south side. Sawing a log lengthwise begins with the removal of the slab, this part is removed from both sides of the tree to get a beam that will not roll.
On one cut side we put the resulting bar, and the other side faces upwards, with it and begins sawing. Now you can cut the remaining log into appropriate lumber or boards of equal thickness. At the output we get a set of unedged boards, in which the raw edge (sometimes even with the bark of the tree) must then be cut with a hand saw. Now you can consider the work complete.
The device for sawing logs with a chainsaw: we make it with our own hands
Before sawing a log choose the best way, which depends on the size of the required lumber, the desired quality of the surface boards, wood species and technical capabilities.
To sawing proceed only after the inspection of the log, after which it freed from the bark and limbs. If there are no imperfections on a log, the processing is faster and the lumber is of higher quality.
Splitting the log
Depending on the orientation of the annual rings different types of log cutting are used:
- Radial logs are sawn in the radius of the one-year rings. Quality lumber is obtained that does not deform.
- Tangential sawing. the log is sawn tangentially to the annual rings. The lumber is of low strength.
- Parallel log. the cut is parallel to the grain of the tree.
For sawing along the grain direction the easiest way is the circular sawing. The first cut is the slab. Then you rotate the log 180 degrees, and then cut the second slab. To obtain boards, a log is constantly turned.
For qualitative sawing of logs by different methods, general rules are used:
- To prevent the log from moving during machining, it must be securely fastened;
- If sawing is done with a chainsaw, a chain is used for longitudinal sawing. The chain must be well sharpened and must not sag so that the cut is even and the saw does not wander to the side;
- For sawing by hand try to choose logs of small length;
- Before sawing you mark out a log for a particular kind of sawing;
- Logs are sawn up into boards, starting with a slab saw;
- special attention must be paid to safety measures at all stages of log sawing.
Sawing logs by your own hands is carried out with a variety of cutting tools.
Electric or gasoline-powered saws
Petrol-powered saws have advantages over electric models:
- Your workplace is not tied to a power supply;
- higher power;
- Thanks to the soft start and variable speed control, the risk of saw chain rupture is reduced;
- Continuous operation for up to one hour, no need to interrupt the saw to cool down;
- Can work in any humidity, such as rain.
Mini circular saw
One or two discs separated by an insert are used as a cutting element.
Such a saw machine is widely used because of its advantages:
- a simple design, complete with an electric or gasoline engine;
- easy to use;
- Accuracy of sawing the log according to the marks;
- High capacity when sawing logs.
The main requirement for the circular saw is a solid frame and a powerful engine.
The peculiarity of independent longitudinal sawing of a log can be clearly seen in four simple ways.
Apparatus for sawing logs with a chainsaw: we learn to make it with our own hands
The chainsaw method of cutting logs has several advantages.
Ability to work under any conditions. the chainsaw is not afraid of moisture, so sawing logs specialists can saw during rain, the equipment in such a case will not be spoiled.
High performance. allowed to carry out work on the wood throughout the day, but it should be noted that the power of the machine must be at least 7 horsepower.
Stand-alone device. the equipment runs on gasoline, does not depend on electricity, the workplace is installed in any area where it will be more convenient to conduct the process.
Parts of chainsaw
Ease of use. the chain saw is equipped with a soft start and chain rotation speed control, the above conditions ensure a quality result for beginners in this business.
The undoubted advantage is that the equipment is much cheaper than a small sawmill. In case of a breakdown, repair is inexpensive, does not take much time.
For sawing the logs you need a special attachment in the form of a metal frame, which is connected to the body of the gasoline saw with two bolts. Connection point. bolts securing the working organ (guide bar) inside the tool itself. Nuts should be unscrewed, install the frame on them, screw on the bolts of the nuts that come with the frame in the kit. They are wider, which increases clamping area, makes it easier to attach the frame to the chainsaw body.
This attachment can be made with your own hands from a profile tube. The main thing is the size of the frame.
How to saw a log lengthwise
To get an even cut you need a straight template. a guide ruler or guide rail.
The BigMill Timberjig (Logosol) sawmill is a good help in the work. Manufacturer Sweden. The cost of such a set is considerable. about 9 000 p. So calculate how much you’ll profit from buying such a tool. Logs can be cut on the plot to save transportation costs.
Sawing is done with a two-stroke saw with two bar mounting nuts. This attachment can fix and saw a log with a diameter of up to 60 cm.
To saw a log into boards you need a chain for longitudinal sawing. If you can not buy such a chain, sharpen an ordinary chain at an angle of 10°. Keep in mind that the chain loses its sharpness during use and needs to be sharpened periodically A well-sharpened chain will make your work easier.
There are fixtures and parts included in the kit that you can use to install the wooden guide rail. The frame attached to the chainsaw slides on the guide rail and keeps the bar from moving sideways.
- Take two straight boards. Staple them together at right angles. The boards support each other and you have a sturdy guide rail.
- Make a board stop that will support the prepared ruler. All of the necessary brackets and screws are included in the Timberjig set.
- Use the log turner to move the logs.
- Place the log on a convenient base. This will make it easier to cut it further.
- Use the nuts to secure the frame to the saw rail.
- Fix the support legs of the leading ruler to the ends of the log. Check the level to see if the log is level.
- Use self-tapping screws to fix all brackets and structural elements. Do not use nails. they are hard to remove later without damaging the structural elements.
- Clamp the ruler to the support with the clamps. Adjust the height of the leading ruler. Make sure that the cut is not along the ruler, but about 1 cm higher.
- Rotate the trunk and secure another board that should rest on the ground and support the trunk.
- Start the saw and make the first cut.