Reverse hammer with their own hands: mechanical and pneumatic
The impact impulse of a simple hammer is directed inside the struck surface, as a result of which it is deformed. The reverse hammer has the opposite pulse direction, so it is possible to remove the deformation. The device is widely used for body repair of damaged vehicles and in skillful hands removes even deep dents. A reverse hammer is also useful for removing bearings in hard-to-reach places. The pneumatic variety of the device is used for removing burnt diesel engine nozzles. The article will tell you how to make a reverse hammer with your own hands.
Mechanical and pneumatic devices are the most common:
- Mechanical. The design consists of a metal rod about 50 cm long and 1.5-2 cm in diameter, which is equipped with a handle with a metal stop. A freely moving cylindrical metal weight is placed on the rod. The free end of the rod is attached to the deformation point or bearing by means of various nozzles or welding. The weight is slid forward on the rod by hand and then pushed backward with force. When the kettlebell strikes the metal stop of the handle, the device moves away from the surface, pulling the dent or removing the bearing. It is not too difficult to make a reverse hammer suitable for bodywork repairs yourself.
- Pneumatic. The device is similar to a pneumatic jackhammer, in which a metal piston strikes the shank of the pick at a frequency of several thousand blows per minute. In a reverse hammer, the piston strikes the wall of the device, causing the hammer to receive a momentum of motion directed toward the impact. The resulting force is enough to remove 90% of burnt diesel injectors during repairs. The reverse hammer is also suitable for removing bearings, especially in awkward hard-to-reach places. The industrial product is convenient to use, but expensive. The cost of the reverse hammer described in the article is much lower. However, its production requires experience in plumbing and lathe work, drawing skills, which may not be available to a novice.
To the rod with a length of 40-60 cm is welded on the head side of the expansion anchor. The diameter of the last one should be selected so that when expanding it rests against the walls of the inner ring of the bearing.
A heavy bushing is put on the rod. It can be turned on a lathe or simply drilled a round bollard.
To use a puller, you insert an anchor into the inner ring of the bearing and pull it apart. Then knocking the sliding sleeve into the welded nut can quickly dislodge the bearing.
Designation and special features
If an embarrassing hum or noise appears in the area of the car wheels, it is an indication that the hub bearing is broken. Repair or replacement of this unit is not recommended to delay. If you are not an expert in the field, visit your nearest service station as soon as possible for a thorough inspection and consultation.
However, it is not always possible to use the services of professionals, in some cases you have to act yourself. One of the most complicated repair operations is the dismantling of bearings. You need special tools for this.
The most primitive hub bearing puller is an item consisting of such elements:
The fixture has a movable connection and the gripping distance can easily be changed. By means of the feet you can remove and fix the following:
If the tool has three claws, it has more possibilities, because the claws can be rotated and used to remove internal elements. This is called an internal bearing puller.
The most versatile tool is the combination presser, which has the properties of both a two-fingered and a three-fingered tool. It is designed with special clamps that can be used to easily remove damaged parts.
The mounting and dismounting of bearings requires a manual tightening force to seat or remove one or another element. The success of your work, as well as your own safety, depends on how well you choose your tool.
It’s easy enough to make a backhoe at home with your own hands. It does not take much time, and does not require special materials and tools. For a better understanding, you can watch a video on the Internet. A rough drawing won’t be superfluous either.
To make this tool with their own hands will need the following:
- A metal pin about 50 cm and 20 mm in diameter;
- Load, which has an inner hole;
- threading tool (optional);
- Welding machine;
- angle grinder.
If it is decided to make a reverse hammer with a hook type of attachment, a hook is made at the end of the pin. You can make it with a vice or a pair of pliers. Or weld a ready-made hook from another device with a welding machine.
If the tool is made with a threaded grip, then the end of the pin is threaded with the appropriate tool. It is not necessary to cut a lot of threads, because the body metal is rather thin.
A mechanical backhammer
The builder’s reservoir is cut along the circumference from the side of the rod at a distance of 2 cm from the edge.
How to make a reverse hammer with their own hands?
Thanks to the simplest design, you can make the assembly of this device even in the garage conditions. In the most primitive case, you can easily get by with a purchased stud as a pin, and use a set of washers of suitable size and weight instead of a solid weight. We suggest studying a successful example of how to make a reverse hammer with their own hands:
- We need to prepare a pair of metal bars with a diameter of 12 and 16 mm.
- From a bar of 12 mm to cut a piece of 50 cm in length.
- cut 5 blanks 15 cm long from a 16 mm rod.
- You need to mill or buy some long nuts with 12 mm threads.
- The nuts will serve as adapters, their length should be long enough to connect the hooks to the axle of the reverse hammer.
- To make the stops we need washers with a 12 mm hole.
- Before welding works for isolation and getting a gap pre-wrap the future axis of a hammer with scotch tape.
- Weld the load from several pieces of 16 mm bar, pre-fastening them around a thin 12 mm bar with duct tape or tape.
- On the side of the carrier, a screwed nut limits the load’s movement.
- On the end of the rod you need to cut a thread long enough to install the nut and the adapter.
- Withdraw a little space for the future handle and weld a second stop at the back of the rod.
- From the remnants of the rod to make lugs in the form of hooks.
- On the long side of the hook you need to thread and screw on the long nuts.
- Make the handle from a piece of rubber hose.
- To fix the handle on the end of the rod should be welded or screwed nut and washer.
Lego brick. what is it, what is made of, where it is used, its pros and cons, the peculiarities of masonry. this is important to know for those who are engaged in construction. The advantage of the material is the ease of use, which helps save money.
Trowel. it is a convenient and practical tool, actively used in construction for many years. Types of this device, encountered on the market, and their purpose are of interest to everyone who is going to do repairs in their apartment.
Universal cement-lime plaster belongs to the category of the most popular construction compositions. The plastic solution is easy to work with, the material is famous for its excellent adhesion and antibacterial qualities.
Facade putty. indispensable element of repair work. It has many varieties, each of which has its own features, advantages and disadvantages. And the simplest mixture can be made by yourself.
Nozzles for the reverse hammer
The design of the holder depends on the purpose and method of attachment to the body, bearing, hub or other pressed part of the mechanism. One tool, no matter how handy it may look, is not enough to help a mechanic who is constantly engaged in straightening and repairing. In a small workshop, it is desirable to have a universal tool with a set of several convenient clamps of different types.
Nozzles-hooks for the mechanical hammer.
A brief instruction and tips on using the tool
Again, to visually understand how this happens, the easiest way is to watch the video. If there is no such a possibility, then the procedure for working with this device is approximately as follows:
- The tip is attached to the deformed section of the body;
- By hitting the weight on itself, the part is aligned to the desired position;
- If the force is not enough, the weight is changed to a heavier one.
When pulling a relatively large section of metal, you can weld several washers in one line and put a pin through them. To do this correctly, it is advisable to view a video on this topic. This pin is then hooked with a hook that is welded to the fixture and pulled off along with the metal, aligning it to the desired state. Be careful when using this method, because welding a large number of washers can pull the metal excessively, and spoil the body part.