Coils (heads) for trimmers
Mowing heads with mowing lines, along with knives and discs, are included in the list of cutting equipment for trimmers. The main function of the heads, or as they are often called coils, is to quickly and accurately mow the grass. Today there are different types of heads on sale. All of them are divided among themselves, mainly by the principle of feeding and charging the line. This classification makes it possible to choose the optimal mowing head for almost any beginner gardener.
Most amateur and household brushcutters are distinguished by a simple device. They consist of a motor, a boom in which there is a flexible or rigid drive shaft, a handle and a cutting organ, the role of which is often played by the grass trimmer head. According to the principle of filament feeding heads are divided into the following types:
- manual. the headset of this type got its name due to the fact that the cutting cord in it is fed manually. Every time it is necessary to lengthen the line for the trimmer, the operator must stop working with the trimmer and pull it out mechanically. This brings its own inconveniences, but this type of devices is considered the most popular among gardeners. Manual reels differ from their counterparts with durability and low prices;
- Semi-automatic. with this type of heads, the cord can be lengthened by pressing the head to the ground. During this, the button is pressed, which activates the anchoring mechanism. It creates a centrifugal force that pushes the cord out. Semi-automatic trimmer head for grass has one important advantage. you do not need to stop working with brushcutter when using it, as you can extend the line for trimmer while the engine is running. The only drawback. the semi-automatic cutting headset costs a little more than manual reels;
- automatic. this type of standard equipment is easy to use. To extend the cord, the operator only needs to reduce the engine speed of the brushcutter. Automatic factory reel for grass trimmer differs from counterparts in ease of operation. Nevertheless, the of this type of headset are the highest on the market.
Each of the listed types of cutting attachments is suitable for use in certain conditions. Manual heads are best used in areas with hard obstacles. The low cost of this type of headset will make it possible to buy several hand heads at once, and alternately replace them as they fail. Automatic models, on the contrary, are quite expensive, so they are best used for the care of clean areas.
First of all, to wind the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and spool at the bottom usually have side keys on both sides of the reel. When pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the spool, along with the internal contents for winding the fishing line, is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. Disassembly of the bobbin should preferably be made on a flat, smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and not lost;
- Electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved rod without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wing nut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the rod nut, wing nut. After loosening the nut, the entire bobbin can be removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. In order to immobilize the rod, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and slow rotation is used to position the screwdriver inside the hole and the bobbin is locked in place. The bobbin body is then twisted clockwise (with the left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, spools are disassembled in different ways, depending on the design. In spools with a wingnut, the wingnut is unscrewed, in spools with latches, the latch latches are pressed and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the bobbin halves are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Winding the double line
Usually the spool is divided lengthwise into 2 parts by a partition. You need to take the line for the trimmer from the coil and coil in one half to measure the capacity at the selected diameter of the cord. Wind as much as possible so that the cord does not protrude. As soon as one half is full, you need to wind the trimmer line back up, remembering the used meter. The cord should be cut to a length exactly 2 times longer than was placed on the half of the spool.
Having reached the end, it is necessary to fix the ends of the line in the special opposite notches on the side of the spool. Since one of them is longer, the free tails at the output are almost the same.
Now you need to insert the spool into the base with the spring. At the same time, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through the holes in the mowing head. They are pulled up to release from the grip of the slots on the spool. After putting the cover and the head is ready for use.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool
Threading the line into the spool of the tool is, at first glance, not an easy thing to do. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulty.
To find out how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer, it’s worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the reels of different types of trimmers, so they are applicable to any tool.
- The spool with the fishing line is the lower extreme part of the grass trimmer. First and foremost, of course, you need to remove this head from the tool. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the spool is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. It is easiest to do this by placing between the threads of the shaft through a special hole a kind of stupor (preferably metal). When the shaft is locked, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage it is necessary to remove the bobbin from the head, to which the line for the trimmer is attached. To do this you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you first need to find the lock on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When a retainer is found, it must be pressed firmly. Hold the latch pressed and turn the head cap clockwise. Then remove the cover and take out the bobbin.
- Between the bobbin and the head is a tight spring. It should be temporarily set aside so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding to the stage of winding the fishing line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there is any old fishing line on it, it must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can begin preparing a new skein.
- From the pre-prepared skein of new fishing line you need to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. The bobbin must be kept at hand.
At this point actually begins a key stage, which is devoted to this article.
The first way of winding the fishing line
The desired amount of line is cut. Now you need to carefully inspect the bobbin to see what type it belongs to. This depends on how it will be winded on the line for the trimmer.
Bobbins come in two types. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the bobbin is divided into two compartments. the upper and lower. In the first type the separating edge is not closed in a ring and has a recess.
The second type is solid, but has small through-holes on both sides. The method of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the bobbin belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter section should be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then insert the bending point into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the bobbin and the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can directly start winding. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, hold the thread so that it does not intertwine and the top half is wound into the top of the spool and the bottom half is wound into the bottom half. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the bobbin there are small notches (or, in other words, grooves) for fixing the consumable material. The ends of the threads should be inserted into these notches so that they are secured one opposite the other.
- The final stage of threading the consumables into the tool. the ends fixed on the bobbin should be slipped into the appropriate holes in the head of the trimmer for grass.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. All that remains now is to reassemble the head as a unit. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended to pull the loose ends of the thread outwards. To do this, pull the ends of the consumables one at a time so as to remove them from the grooves of the bobbin. Make sure the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by pulling the threads out; they should come out through the holes in the head without obstruction.
- Press the bobbin down and place the cover over it. The cover should be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their housings are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line for the trimmer is wound into the spool. The line trimmer is now ready for use.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared piece of six meters long, you need to bend exactly in the middle and cut it. This produces two lengths of equal length.
- At one end of each strand, make a small hook. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it briefly so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then you take one length. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now we can proceed to the key step. the winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the top of the spool. Do not wind the thread all the way to the tip. about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small notches (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumables. The loose “tail” of the thread should be inserted into one of these notches.
- Top part of the reel is tucked in. Now we need to do the same procedure with the bottom part. A second piece of thread is taken. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And this piece of line should also be left free about fifteen centimeters from the end. This leftover “tail” should be inserted in the notch opposite to that into which the end of the first piece is inserted.
Choosing a fishing line
To thread a fishing line into the trimmer head successfully, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you thread, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for a trimmer with a diameter of 2 mm is used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the instructions that come with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes there is information on it about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try to insert the cord into the outlet. If it will fit through it without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
You can choose a cord according to the type of engine. If the trimmer line is too thick, the rotational resistance will increase. the motor will then overheat and will soon fail. Helpful hints:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a cord with a thickness of 1.3 mm will do. If you can’t find it, you can use a 1.6 mm line for your trimmer. If the power is greater than 1 kW, choose a 2 mm diameter cord.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower is important. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for trimmers is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of cordwood as well. Some popular options:
- The most common threads with a circular cross section. They mow fresh grass well, but perform poorly on shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- Serrated filament with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star, or square grass trimmer lines are the smoothest for mowing lawns, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a round section.
Note that you can not use wire, metal strings and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. In this way, the rope or similar products will gradually begin to unravel, resulting in their ends unraveling, and the small pieces will disperse with great speed.
How to insert a line into a grass trimmer for a trimmer?
Filling the mowing spool with cutting filament for the grass trimmer is not a difficult task, but beginner gardeners will have to practice a bit to be able to quickly insert the cord into the existing household grass trimmer in the future.
There are only a few ways to fill the grass trimmer’s mowing head. The first method is the easiest, and is well suited to beginner gardeners.
- First, you will need to wind off about 6 m of grass trimmer line from the common bobbin, then cut the resulting section in half. The result should be two strands, each 3 m long;
- Then at one end of the first segment will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, begin winding the line on the bobbin in the direction indicated by the arrow. During winding, you need to make sure that the line for the trimmer lies evenly on the surface of the bobbin, and does not extend beyond its upper section. To wind up to the end of the segment is not necessary, in the hands should remain about 15 cm of thread;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord should be inserted into one of the notches located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, do the same procedure with the second piece of fishing line. It will need to be wound onto the lower section of the bobbin;
- As in the first case, winding the line for the trimmer on the lower section to the end is not necessary. The remaining piece of thread must be inserted into the second slot of the bobbin.
After the operation it is necessary to set the spool on the grass trimmer and start it. To check that the thread is securely fastened, you will need to push the throttle lever all the way down so that the engine reaches maximum speed. If the trimmer line does not fly out of the head, the trimmer line is holding securely and will not fly out of the mowing reel when you cut the grass.
Working with such a technique, as trimmers for grass, requires caution and care. The implementation of safety measures during work is mandatory for beginners and experienced craftsmen. Sometimes confident mowers let their guard down, make irreparable mistakes and get seriously injured. That’s why it’s important when using the machine
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not coil more line than necessary: it’s difficult to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel, be sure to check the tool’s operation before mowing.
- Choose the right material for your trimmer.
You should not try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this purpose. Work only in protective clothing. Wear safety glasses and safety shoes.
Do not forget safety precautions when working with the trimmer! The debris of bushes will fly a long distance and with great force. Use personal protective equipment. Always wear a special mask and make sure there are no people or animals around.