How to prepare a single axle tractor for winter? All about power tillers
Many farmers have such equipment as power tillers and power tillers. Both of these units help to perform any work on the ground, as well as in the care of the territory of the plot. Motorblocks can also be used in the winter to clear snow and remove it, break up icy areas and clean paths. But machines are often not used in the winter, and are simply put away for storage.
You can’t just pick up a single-axle tractor in winter and leave it until spring. It is necessary to prepare it carefully for the cold and protect the parts from corrosion. In this article we will tell you how to prepare the unit for winter storage. Do you have to drain the fuel and remove the wheels?? All these questions will be answered.
Features of the procedure
The first step is a scrupulous check of every fastener, every bolt. The tank is 100% filled with gasoline or other necessary fuel, motor oil. Also it is necessary to take care of the preparation of coolant in the required volume. Running-in does not mean only “lapping” the engine parts to each other, “working” them together. Also it is necessary to check serviceability of brakes and steering apparatus.
It is impossible to run-in a single axle tractor normally if the steering wheel is not set properly. After the running-in period, you should immediately inspect every part. It takes time, so you should carefully plan all the work so that nothing interferes with the process. Technical inspection includes:
- study the condition of each oil seal and bearing;
- wiping them down with oil;
- replace damaged and deformed parts immediately
- check fork springs and control elements.
Winter attachment options
Rotary snowthrowers are an auger-based design housed in an enclosed metal housing. Rotating auger feeds snow to the impeller and then to the pipe nozzle. The mass is ejected directionally, at a distance of several meters. The track stays clean.
Standard snow attachments are made in the form of a flat metal blade. a scaled-down version of a bulldozer blade. Cutting edge of the tool is covered with rubber cover to prevent damage to paving slabs, paving stones and other delicate surfaces.
Utility brushes are effective on fresh, crumbly snow and clean to near-perfect condition. Soft bristles are safe for surfaces.
Depending on the weather conditions, you can install pneumatic wheels, grousers or tracks on a single-axle tractor. The crawler tracks ensure maximum cross-country ability in the snow. Pneumatic wheels are convenient for driving on hard surfaces. And ice picks help you break through thick ice crusts.
How to start a single-axle tractor in winter?
Single axle tractors are versatile machines that can be actively used even in winter. With its help, or rather with the help of such attachments as a snowblower, you can clear the snow on your garden plot. But there may be some difficulties with starting the engine at low ambient temperatures, but there is always a way out.
Here are some tips to help you actively use a single-axle tractor in winter:
- Modern models of this technique is available with air cooling. This greatly simplifies the process of operation at sub-zero temperatures. you do not need to add antifreeze and constantly monitor the work of the radiator, in which the water type of cooling. However, there is a minus here. in winter, the engine will cool down faster;
- In the sale you can find special insulating covers for the unit, which protect the engine from rapid cooling, but they are extremely rare. You can also use improvised materials, but make sure that the insulator does not get into mechanisms and does not damage the system;
- To start the engine in winter sometimes you need to prepare it, namely, to preheat it. For this purpose it is necessary to pour hot water over the engine itself, so that it reaches a state for normal starting;
- Do not forget about the oil in the gearbox. As you know, it thickens at subzero temperatures. There are two ways out: use synthetic types which keep their properties better in winter, or use a more fluid.
If you stick to these recommendations, it will not be a problem to start the single-axle tractor in winter. We offer you a video, which will tell you how to start the machine during cold weather.
It’s also worth mentioning how to start the car already in the spring. The first thing you need to do is to drain the oil and fuel if they are in the tank, and replace them with new. Don’t forget to check all systems, mechanisms and parts for damage. And only then try to start your machine.
How to start a single-axle tractor in winter?
The motor blocks are universal equipment, which can be actively used even in winter. With its help, or rather with such an attachment as a snowplow, you can clear the snow on your property. But here there may be some difficulties with starting the engine at low ambient temperatures, but there is always a way out.
Here are some tips to help you actively use the single-axle tractor in winter:
- The modern models of this equipment are air-cooled. This greatly simplifies the process of operation at sub-zero temperatures. you do not need to add antifreeze and constantly monitor the work of the radiator, which has a water type of cooling. However, there is a disadvantage here. in winter, the engine will cool down faster;
- On sale you can find special insulated covers for the unit, which protect the engine from rapid cooling, but they are extremely rare. You can do with improvised materials, but carefully make sure that the heat insulation did not get into the mechanisms and did not damage the system;
- To start the engine in winter, you sometimes need to prepare it, namely. to pre-heat. For this purpose, the engine itself should be watered with hot water, so that it reaches a state for normal starting;
- Do not forget about the oil in the gearbox. As you know, it thickens at sub-zero temperatures. There are two ways out: to use synthetic types, which retain their properties better in winter, or to use a more liquid.
Winter functions of power tillers
Modern mini-tractors are usually purchased with a cart. Therefore, in winter time this technique can be used for transporting a wide variety of cargo and garbage removal.
Men love winter fishing, to which you can go on a power tiller with special pneumatic wheels. Such all-terrain vehicle will pass through any snow drifts and deliver not only the fisherman, but also all his equipment to the “cherished” place.
Communal workers have long been using mini-tractors for snow removal. After all, this technique with special attachments (rotary snow blower, mounted blade) allows you to quickly and accurately clear large areas of snow with a variety of surfaces. Therefore, the owners of power tillers can take this experience in order not to depend on the workers of the UK and to rid their yard or a small road of drifts even in the snowiest winter.
How to start the engine in the cold
It is worth noting that the operation of mini-machines in cold weather is significantly different from the summer conditions. Therefore, before the beginning of the fall and winter season, the owner of the power tiller should make preparations so that his equipment works “like clockwork” in the most severe frosts.
At first we pay special attention to engine cooling system:
- If the engine on your power tiller is cooled during work by liquid, then before the beginning of the autumn-winter season you need to drain the radiator of water, and then fill it with antifreeze instead.
- If the engine is air-cooled during operation, it is worth to “insulate” the power plant in advance with factory-made (sold in special stores) or homemade covers (batting, blanket, Plaid, etc.).д.).
Then we proceed to the preparation of the main nodes and units of the motoblock:
- Thoroughly clean the equipment from dirt;
- Change oil in the engine and gearbox (the brand is usually specified in the manual, but in any case during winter operation use oil with lower viscosity and special synthetic additives)
- unscrew the plugs to clean them from fouling and replace if necessary.
- Put the plugs back in.
preparatory works are done. Now we should talk about the place of storage of the mini-tractor. The ideal option in this case would be a warm garage or other room with a positive temperature. In this case, the owner of the power tiller will not notice any problems with starting a cold engine.
If for some reason the engine does not have a “warm place”, you can warm it up with a few buckets of hot water before starting it in freezing temperatures. Do not use a blowtorch, because the risk of fire is too high.
Let’s proceed to the direct start, the procedure of which depends on the fuel.
- check oil and gasoline level;
- open the fuel tap;
- set the choke lever to the start position “Choke”;
- press the kick-starter several times with the ignition off;
- We switch on ignition and start the engine;
- switch choke lever in working mode (RUN).
It’s important to remember that you must not fill the two-stroke motor with pure petrol. So be sure to prepare a fuel mix.
- Bleeding the air;
- Check the oil and fuel level;
- open fuel tap;
- turn on ignition and smoothly turn gas knob till about half.
In any case, before starting work you should warm the engine for 10-12 minutes at idle. This will be enough time for the heated oil to spread evenly over all the rubbing surfaces of the mini-aggregate.
Where to store: options and conditions
Shed or equipped hardware unit is on the lawn of almost every cottager. These storage locations are the most common. The main conditions for storing gasoline equipment in sheds or outbuildings are low humidity and stable temperature without sudden jumps.If the room is insulated, it will be an added advantage.
Another place to store gasoline equipment. the garage. You should not place the technique close to the car, and, hanging it, you must make sure that if it falls, it will not hit the car. Where do you store your gasoline appliances in the winter??
This method is not very popular in Russia and the former Soviet countries. But if there are no other options, it is possible to find a company that provides these services.