The following to be prepared
To make a potter’s wheel with their own hands will need an old washing machine, parts of which can be used to create a potter’s wheel. It is important that the washer used is of the activator type (for example, a Malyutka washing machine). In this case the axis of rotation of the motor will be directed vertically. The potter’s wheel, which will be installed, will rotate while in a horizontal position.
In addition the following materials will be required:
- A piece of plywood of the right size, which is resistant to moisture.
- A simple circuit board with a chip, which allows you to switch the spinning speed of the potter’s wheel.
- It is necessary to prepare a varnish and paint, which is resistant to moisture.
- White spirit.
- A wheel of the right size for the design.
- Plastic vial from a medicine bottle is needed.
- Electric switch.
- Roll of insulation tape.
- For insulation against leaks silicon sealant is needed.
- Tin and rosin will be needed in order to solder.
- In order to connect the parts, you will need screws with nuts and self-tapping screws.
To carry out the work it is necessary to stock up on such tools:
- soldering iron;
- A hacksaw, which has fine teeth;
- well sharpened knife;
- marker pen for making marks;
- Keys and screwdrivers of different sizes;
When all of the above are assembled, you can proceed to the manufacture of a potter’s wheel.
Pottery wheel from a washing machine. How to make a potter’s wheel with your own hands. a practical guide Potter’s wheel from a washing machine malyutka
The potter’s wheel for the beginner is a special treat. The most common foreign company’s circle costs about five hundred dollars. It is because of this, our masters were tasked to create a potter’s wheel from a washing machine so that the project can then be done with their own hands at home. As a base, you can take both activator and drum type machine. But now we’ll take it all apart in order
A potter’s wheel from a sewing machine. A potter’s wheel from a washing machine
Watching the potter while making a product on the potter’s wheel is a magical sight. This article will tell you how to make a potter’s wheel with your own hands and start making things. If your goal as an artist is to create unique objects, this type of potter’s wheel is perfect for you.
Just find a 360-degree rotating bucket, use a few items from home and you’ll be all set in 10 minutes. The project is inexpensive and works as efficiently as any potter’s wheel. After a little practice, I can center, twist and turn this potter’s wheel well. After correcting the wobble, the centering is now automatic thanks to the concentric circles on the potting tray.
The foot-pounder is inexpensive, lightweight, portable, and takes up little space. What’s great is that there’s no soldering, no heavy machinery, and it runs on its feet. The best part does not require electricity.
Here’s a quick compilation of all my videos after I learned how to throw mop buckets on a potter’s wheel after 50 throws in 14 days.
Making a potter’s wheel with their own hands
- frequency converter;
- A switch (normal light switch);
- adjustable resistance.
The motor is directly connected to the frequency converter. One suitable model of the latter is the “Vesper-8100”. It allows to adjust the speed of the motor from zero to 1500 rpm. At the same time the power of the motor does not drop. A variable resistance (rheostat) is connected to the frequency converter, which allows the user to change the number of revolutions. Connect the rheostat to the converter according to the diagram, which is shown on the device itself or in the manual for its operation. The mains voltage is switched on by a normal switch that breaks the AC phase. Instead of the latter, it is better to install a circuit breaker for 10A, which will serve as additional protection of the network.
If you seriously or even just at an amateur level decided to master the potter’s craft, in addition to the already known circle, you will need some other tools that greatly facilitate the work and allow you to perform a variety of manipulations with the material. The main tools of both the sculptor and the potter are stacks. wooden, metal or plastic spatulas of all kinds of shapes and sizes. Also do not do without the metal string with two convenient handles at the ends, with which the finished product after molding is cut from the circle.
Potter’s wheel with their own hands
Making pottery is very popular lately, especially with children. Not only is it fun, but it also develops hand motor skills, motion coordination, attentiveness and determination. Besides, it will be very important for a child to see the end result of his work. For the potter’s occupation one needs equipment, without which one simply cannot do without. When making clay products the furnace for firing is necessary. Not fired clay will not gain normal strength and will simply crack. Another indispensable attribute of the potter is a potter’s wheel. Without it, it is impossible to make smooth cylindrical parts.
To buy a potter’s wheel for the child’s lessons makes no sense. Firstly, it is not a fact that the young hobby will not fly away in a few weeks, and quite an expensive machine will just take up space in the garage. Secondly, the cost of potter’s circles is not too cheap, especially models with an electric drive. A way out of this situation can be to rent a potter’s wheel or make it yourself. About how to make a potter’s wheel with your own hands. further in the article.
Types of pottery wheels
According to historians, the potter’s wheel is several thousand years old. During this time, it has not changed much. It is a solid wheel of hard material (it can be wood, stone or steel), on which the clay piece rotates with a given frequency. As it rotates, it is worked by hand or with a special tool.
A distinction is made between the potter‘s wheels according to the type of drive that makes the workpiece rotate. They can be:
How to Make a DIY Pottery Wheel | I Like To Make Stuff
- Feet. The simplest design of a potter’s wheel, which has been used for hundreds of years. It looks like a shaft, on which the drive and work wheels have been attached at different ends. The rotation of the driving wheel was made by the potter himself by pushing it clockwise with his feet. This design is not very convenient, because it requires considerable effort when working. Knife potter’s wheel with their own hands is made very simply, which is its main advantage.
- Mechanical. This wheel was developed by the famous English potter Bernard Leach. Leach’s design proved to be quite successful, which is why industrial production of such wheels began in the middle of the last century. The principle of operation of such a wheel is based on the transformation of reciprocating motion of the pedal into rotational motion of the wheel shaft through the crank mechanism. It was much more convenient, it was possible to regulate more accurately the rotation of the wheel, which is very important when processing materials with different properties.
- Electric. With the advent of electric drives, the mechanization of potter’s wheels has taken a step forward. Thanks to these machines, the potter no longer has to exert any force to rotate the workpiece and can concentrate directly on machining it. It was also possible to regulate the rotation speed of the workpiece precisely. In addition, the dimensions of the machine became much smaller.
What must be prepared
To make a potter’s wheel with their own hands will need an old washing machine, parts of which can be used to create a potter’s wheel. It is important that the washing machine used was an activator type (such as a washing machine Malyutka). In this case, the axis of rotation of the motor will be directed vertically. The potter’s wheel to be installed will rotate while in a horizontal position.
In addition, the following materials will be required:
- A piece of plywood of the required size, which is resistant to moisture.
- A simple circuit board with a chip that allows you to switch the speed of the potter’s wheel.
- Lacquer and paint that are resistant to moisture must be prepared.
- White spirit.
- A wheel of proper size for the design.
- A plastic medicine bottle is needed.
- Electric switch.
- Coil of insulating tape.
- Silicone sealant will be needed for insulation against leaks.
- To solder you will need tin and rosin.
- In order to connect the parts, you will need screws and nuts and self-tapping screws.
To do the job, you need to stock up on the following tools:
- soldering iron;
- a hacksaw with fine teeth;
- a well-sharpened knife;
- A marker pen to make the marks;
- wrenches and screwdrivers of different sizes;
- a ruler.
When all of the above are assembled, you can begin making a potter’s wheel.
What is the best way to buy a potter’s wheel
Bad luck for novice potters in our country!-) For example in the same damn America, for an average monthly income of 6,000, a circle worth about 900, buy no problem at all just one-sixth of a monthly salary.
Things are different in our country. With an average real wage of 15-20 t.р. (Let’s not talk about St. Petersburg and Moscow islands of happiness), new high-quality potter’s wheel will cost no less than 40,000 T.Ie, two months on a starvation ration.-(((.What options if you want to make a potter’s wheel oh how.?
Get a cheaper one, from an untested manufacturer? Not an option is still expensive, and the sea of stones.I see a more interesting solution to buy a used Profi-Max potter’s wheel. This machine was the sturdiest and most reliable of my potter’s wheel models.
Reliable, no complicated electronics, but lots of metal!-)On this circle master potter Andrey Kopylov twirled compound vases at 70-90 cm.,
And master potter Dzhemal Bolotashvili, after sitting for the first time at this wheel in my studio, made a 45 cm high vase.
Of the minuses of the circle: it takes time and patience to learn how to support the smallest rotational speed of the faceplate (ie, two months on a hungry stomach).I had to press and release the pedal for a while), and the monotonous light hum of the motor (in this model the motor is running all the time) could be a little annoying.