If a single axle tractor won’t start.The causes and remedy.
Rebuilding a power tiller after winter and the most common causes of block failures.
Tried to start the single axle tractor after the winter, but the single axle tractor would not start. How to start a single-axle tractor, if it does not start you can at first only speculate, because there may be several reasons: wire breakage; not enough gasoline in the tank and it does not suck; dirty spark plug.
Preparing your power tiller for winter
Before you send a single-axle tractor for winter storage, you need to carry out a number of procedures for its successful “wintering” and quality work in the spring. Wash and thoroughly dry the single-axle tractor before the onset of frost and repair minor faults. Lubricate all working parts and assemblies thoroughly. Clean, sharpen and lubricate the cutting elements of the attachment.
Store the single axle tractor in a dry, ventilated area. No need for additional heating.
Basic rules for preserving your power tiller for winter:
- Change the oil in the gearbox and engine.
- Clean and oil the air filters (if there is a filter tub).
- It is recommended to unscrew the spark plug, pour a few milliliters of oil into the cylinder and manually crank the crankshaft several times.
- If your tractor has a battery, remove it and take it to a warm place. Also do not forget to recharge it several times during the winter.
- On a cleaned and dry single axle tractor you can also apply a special anti-corrosion coating, which can be purchased in specialized stores.
We suggest you also read the video, which shows the process of preparing your power till winter:
No spark on the power tiller
This malfunction is directly related to ignition system failure. Failures in the ignition system include malfunctions in the magneto, alternator, wiring, spark plug and spark plug. If the spark is gone or weak. the cause is only in the cap and spark plugs. Remove the spark plug first and check its condition. If necessary, wipe off the soot from it and “burn” it over a fire (if there is no possibility to immediately replace it with a new one).
Reinsert the spark plug and try to start the tractor again. If there is still no spark, check cap contact with the center electrode. The gap between the cap and the electrode is checked with a special dipstick and should be 0.8 mm.
A few words on how to avoid these situations. First and foremost always strictly follow the recommendations in the operator’s manual. If you follow them, your single axle tractor will last much longer.
Also to avoid problems with starting the tractor it is important to know the engine cycle of this model (it is also indicated in the manual). For example, power units made by Neva (MB-1 and MB-2, which are often equipped with the Subaru engine), Zubr, Salyut, Agro, Kaskad are equipped with a four-stroke engine. Mole tractors have a two-stroke engine. The value of this information for owners is that it tells them how to properly fuel their equipment. For models with a 2-stroke engine, it is necessary to prepare a special combustible mixture, for which a certain proportion of gasoline and oil is mixed. For power tillers with a 4-stroke engine oil and gasoline are filled separately. But do not forget to monitor their quality as well!
You should also always remember the correct order of starting your power tiller. For example, for a power tiller firm Mole or any other unit with a gasoline engine startup is carried out in this sequence:
- Open the gasoline tap.
- Set the choke lever in “Start” (Choke) mode.
- The motor is kick-started several times with the ignition off.
- Start the single axle tractor and move the choke lever to the “Run” position.
With the diesel engines of power tillers Neva, Zubr, Salyut, Kaskad or Agro it is a bit more complicated. Begin by bleeding the air from the fuel system. To do this, open the fuel tap, unscrew the fuel hose connections until fuel appears, tighten the connections and blow out the nozzles. If after the manipulation the single axle tractor does not start or starts, but there is a thick white smoke coming out of the muffler, it is necessary to change the oil as soon as possible.
After a long downtime, the diesel should be started according to this algorithm:
- Open the gasoline tap.
- Check for grease.
- Switch on ignition.
- Turn the throttle gently, no more than half way.
We also suggest you read a video on how to start a single axle tractor correctly:
Why the Neva single axle tractor won’t start?
Neva power tillers are reliable and durable, but, like any technique, sometimes there are unpleasant moments in the form of breakdowns. The single-axle tractor Neva may not start for various reasons, which we will try to find out in this article. Spring is the start of the gardening season. This is when you find out that there is something wrong with your power tiller. It is necessary to immediately find out the cause of the failure and fix it as quickly as possible.
Neva motoblocks come in different models, like MB1, MB2, and others. They all differ in engine, motor and device. Before you find out what is causing the problem, read the owner’s manual carefully.
Why a single axle tractor or cultivator won’t start
The mini tractor is considered a functional device. It is indispensable for farming. Hinged special equipment gives the opportunity to work the territory, mow the grass, shovel snow, transport cargo, plant and collect crops. Often there is a situation where the single-axle tractor does not start. The owner should identify the cause of failure and repair the damage.
Repair of assemblies and mechanisms
Starting a diesel power tiller after purchase can be tricky. The fact that air enters the fuel supply system. If it is not possible to start the engine with a long cranking procedure (with the starter motor), the air lock must be bled. To do this, open the diesel fuel tap and unscrew all connections along the course of the fuel lines. The final blowdown point are the nozzles.
In order for a combustion engine to start, a number of requirements must be met. Let’s list them in order:
Fulfillment of the listed conditions guarantees the start of any engine.
Difficulties at start indicate failure of nodes and mechanisms. The success of repair depends on the correctness of the diagnosis. If defects are detected, repair of a diesel motobloc. Maintenance and minor repairs can be performed by your own. You will need a set of wrenches, plumbing tools and steady hands.
At the stage of preparing the fuel mixture the following mishaps are possible:
- The air filter is leaking air;
- the tank lid hole is clogged;
- the fuel supply line is clogged;
- the carburetor is broken.
After a series of failed starts it is useful to unscrew the spark plug. Working part can be flooded with fuel. Drying the part. Next, pump the cylinder through the hole. Screw in the candle and start again.
If the spark plug is dry, it means that there is no fuel in the combustion chamber. Let’s follow a series of steps to restore the feeding system:
- drain the old petrol;
- Flush the tank;
- clean the filter of dirt;
- Blow out the fuel hose;
- blow out the jets on the carburetor;
- Fill the tank with clean gasoline;
- open the fuel cock;
- clean the breather hole in the cover.
Breakdowns, their causes and solutions
There may be several reasons why the single axle tractor won’t start:
If you plan to find the cause of the failure yourself and fix it, then stick to this sequence of work:
- Check the wire running from the trigger to the spark plug;
- if necessary clean fuel filter. It may be clogged, making it difficult to supply fuel to the combustion chamber.
A few more ways to get your single axle tractor “up and running”:
- If the starter cord comes out very easily, the cause may lie in the cylinder seal, which is worn, or in the gasket between the carburetor and the filter, which is not installed correctly.
- If the machine starts but immediately stalls, the cause may be poor sump flow. Check the faucet and clean it. There may also be water in the fuel, so the fuel needs to be changed completely.
- If you hear popping noises and flames coming out of the muffler, check the flywheel key. It might be damaged or deformed. Replace the spark plug.
- If you notice that the single-axle tractor periodically shuts down accompanied by pops, you should check the spark plug. If it is wet, replace it with a new one or clean it out. To do this, you need to flush it, think it through and flame it.
Always choose only quality fuel and oil for your machine. Otherwise, you may encounter problems, up to the fact that the machine will simply break down. Find a replacement for a damaged part for the motor-block Neva is not a problem, but it will already cost some money.
The cause of repair of the Neva MB-2 motorblock may be:
- Improperly adjusted valve belt;
- gearbox breakdowns;
- Gearbox oil seals;
- Incorrect adjustment of the carburetor system;
- Not aligned ignition;
- plugs malfunctions.
Belt adjustment and dimensions
The V-belt on a power tiller helps the machine move forward and backward. When the timing belt comes off, the machine no longer functions properly.
In order to determine the size of this part, you must measure the gap from the pulley to the rollers. Recommended settings: belt width 0.85 cm, height 0.6 cm.
To tension the belt, you need to do the following manipulations:
- Removal of the shroud.
- Loosen the tension screw on the regular belt part.
- Remove all the screws that hold the mounting bracket to the casing of the power tiller.
- Pull out the old part and adjust the pulleys.
- Wipe the place between the parts and blow out the rods.
- Install a new belt with one end connected to the shaft end and the other end to the pulley.
Replacing the gearbox oil seals
Improperly functioning oil seals may be the cause of gearbox failure. Therefore, the repair of the gearbox of a Neva motoblock can include the following actions:
- Dismantling of the cutters from the shaft part.
- Clean the shaft and cover of dirt and oil residue. Remove all screws from the cover and wash them.
- Replace the old part with a new one and wipe the entire mechanism dry.
- Put the cover back in place and fix it with bolts.
In some cases, it is necessary to disassemble the gearbox:
- Remove the head from the gear shift knob.
- Remove the bushing and spring from the shaft part.
- Remove all screws and bolts.
- Using a thin screwdriver or knife, remove the right half of this part.
- The removed parts need to be washed, and the defective parts need to be replaced.
- Reassemble the gearbox in the reverse order.
Repair of the gearbox of the Neva MB-2 motoblock with your own hands
Gearbox motoblock Neva MB-2 has a fairly simple design, and its repair usually does not require certain skills. Pay attention to the following signs indicating that the assembly is broken:
- Oil leaking from the gearbox output shaft;
- the gears stop shifting;
- Lack of kinematic connection;
- The gear chain is starting to jam.
If you have any of these problems, you need to disassemble and inspect the machine.
- If oil leakage was noticed, it indicates the wear of the cuff or an excess of the filled lubricating fluid. Excess oil will be enough to drain, and if the gasket part is worn, it will need to be replaced.
- If the chain is jammed, a new one should be installed, since the worn out or broken chain cannot be repaired (you can try to weld the links, but in this way the part will not last long).
- If visual inspection reveals that the main gear element is intact, but there is slippage or no kinematic linkage, the sprockets need attention. One or more of them may be cracked or broken. Replacing them is a good way to fix the problem.
- When you have trouble shifting gears, it’s likely that the gearshift shaft’s dryer is broken, or the handle’s threads are sheared off. In this situation it will also help to replace the parts with new ones or taken at disassembly from a similar gearbox.
Before you start to disassemble the assembly by yourself, study the detailed video instructions from experienced craftsmen, because any mistake in the repair, made by inexperience, can lead to more problems and the need for costly repairs.
Adjusting the carburetor
Before adjusting the carburetor it is necessary to adjust the centrifugal regulator, according to the user manual.
What to do When a Tractor Won’t Start
- Tighten the choke and full throttle bolts to their maximum and then turn them back 1.5 turns.
- Set the choke shutter so that there is a gap of suitable parameters between the base and the air duct.
- Try to start the engine. If it starts, wait for it to warm up.
- Adjust control lever to minimum rpm.
- Set the idle speed to the minimum by means of the throttle valve screw.
- Set the engine speed to maximum using the throttle trigger.
- Repeat the last 2 steps until the engine starts to run smoothly.
- Move control lever to throttle.
Adjust the valves
Adjustment of the valves on the Neva motor-block is performed as follows:
- Position the machine on a flat surface.
- Start the engine and let it cool down.
- Remove the cowl.
- Remove the cover from the valves to provide access to the parts under it.
- unscrew counter nut.
- Make adjustments. It is necessary to loosen the nuts, insert the dipstick and adjust the valves.
- Screw the valve nut back on.
- Insert the razor blade (max 0,2 mm thick) into the gap that is formed. It must pass freely between the piston and the valves of the powerpack.
- Screw all parts back on.
The size of the gap that has formed can be checked using a feeler gauge that should pass under the valve if the cut is made correctly.
Checking and adjusting the clutch
- With the clutch lever in the “off position.Unscrew counter nut “, the wire must be loose. The idler pulley moves to the bottom position and contacts the belt drive type.
- When the handle is in the “ON” position, the handwheel must be in the “ON” position.”the cable pulls the roller and the bottom of the belt is pressed tightly against the roller. The small pulley transmits the momentum to the large pulley so that power is transferred.
- If the 2nd gear kicks out when the clutch lever is engaged. It should be moved into the correct position. To do this, place the V-belts in parallel on 2 sides of the motor pulley.
- If 2nd gear leaks when the clutch lever is disengaged. Always check the position of the V-belts, they must be parallel to one another.
How to set the ignition
Before carrying out the procedure, it is advisable to make sure that the design can cause a spark that will provoke the ignition of fuel in the combustion chamber.
Procedure for adjusting the ignition of the power tiller:
- Turn the crankshaft so that the marks made on the pulley and the gas equipment of the unit coincide.
- The runner, which is responsible for the distribution of the gas flows, should be aimed at the high-voltage wire of the cylinder part.
- Loosen the nut and remove the high-voltage wire from the cover of this system.
- The black wire should be connected to the motor and the pins should be at a distance of 0.5 cm from the machine.
- Turn the ignition.
- Turn the mechanical design in the opposite direction.
- Tighten the screw quickly after the spark appears.
Trouble with the spark plugs
First, it is recommended to make sure that the spark plug is in good working order. To do this, you need to:
5 different reasons why your tractor will not start
- Unscrew the spark plug element.
- Clean the electrodes.
- Remove the soot.
- Turn the crankshaft to a position where the pulley and the gas device marks coincide.
- Point the slider on the high-voltage surface of the cylinder.
- Loosen the screw and take out the wire.
- Turn the ignition key. If there is no spark, the spark plugs are defective and must be replaced. Before installing a new element check that there is no sealing washer from a previous part in the cylinder head.
It is also necessary to check the parameters of the gap between the electrodes of the plugs:
Why won’t it start, it shoots, it smokes, and what to do about it
To reduce the risk of fire or explosion, do not attempt any maintenance work on the engine until the warranty period has expired.
If the engine does not start, the cause may be as follows:
- The spark is missing. In this case it is recommended to take out the spark plug element and insert it in a special candle holder and place the housing on the cylinder. After that you need to start the engine. If the spark does not appear, it is recommended to replace the spark plug.
- Fuel is not getting to the engine. It is necessary to inspect and blow the hose that connects the carburetor and the tap. If necessary, you can disassemble the carburetor and wash it from the inside with gasoline A-95.
If the power tiller smokes at idle speed, you need:
tractor won’t start? blown starter relay fuse? EASY repair. thermostat sensor replacement
If the engine fires, it may be because of the tension of the working spring. If there is a problem, you need to adjust it.
How to install an alternator
In order to install the electric generator, you need to do the following:
- The alternator has 4 wires, 2 of which are blue. To these 2 wires it is necessary to connect the energy converter.
- Connect the black wire to the motor.
- Connect the remaining red wire to the parts responsible for external lighting and horn.
The generator produces electrical energy that is fed to the rectifier. When starting the engine, the adjusted belt transmits the torque to the rotor part of the machine. The electric unit generates the voltage from which the battery of the power tiller works.
Power of the chosen generator must not exceed 220 V. It is advisable to choose a part whose power is suited to the anticipated load.
What to do if the single axle tractor “Neva” does not start
Although “Neva” motor blocks are extremely practical and durable units with rich functionality, even they occasionally malfunction. Most often such mishaps occur when:
the user does not start the device for the first time and is not familiar with the instructions;
the device can be started after a long downtime, for example, wintering in adverse conditions.
To avoid problems, “MotoImport” specialists strongly recommend to carefully study the accompanying documentation, check the condition of the unit and the level of oil, fuel. It is desirable to overhaul the single-axle tractor after downtime. You can buy parts for it at “MotoImport” https://motoimport.net/. Keep in mind that since “Neva” is produced in different modifications (MB2, MB1 and so on), there are both diesel and gasoline engines with different starting systems in the line. This makes it much more difficult to find universal reasons for failure to work.