How to tuck lines into your STIHL grass trimmer so you don’t get tired. How to change the brushcutter line on a STIHL brushcutter.
This picture is a top view. There is an arrow next to the trimmer which shows which direction the brushcutter is turning and which direction the brushcutter needs to be wound. Green circled one of the two latches (the other on the opposite side of the bobbin), designed to disassemble the bobbin and actually thread the bobbin.
spool 2. place of line bend 3. start button 4. trigger spring 5. bottom bobbin case cover 6. top case cover 7. hole for line exit from bobbin
If the capacity of the spool is 15 m, it is better to wind no more than 10, and this means 5 m when bending the line in half when threading the spool.There may be a different volume, but the principle is the same: reset one third of the maximum capacity and measure out as much line as would give the remaining two thirds of the spool capacity if bent in half. 2. If you use a normal round line of 3.3 mm for the trimmer, for a shaped line its diameter will be a little less, for example 3.0 mm. 3. Wind the two ends of the line on the bobbin simultaneously, starting from the point of inflection, without overlapping, in the direction indicated by the arrow on the spool. It is almost an art to keep the line under tension. Too much, it snags Too little, it twists. I haven’t mastered it yet. The line for the trimmer is to be wound with gloves only. 4. It is not necessary to try to leave the ends longer Exactly at the first strike of the line, more than necessary length, on the knife and problems with twisting begin.
Procedure for threading line onto the bobbin
Press the 2 catches in the middle of the bobbin.
the trimmer line in the trimmer head can run out at the most inopportune moment, when there’s still a lot left to be done. This is a quick guide to replacing the fishing line in the trimmer head (other names include replacing the cord or string in the bobbin or trimmer reel).
Performing the winding of the fishing line
Slowly completing the disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing any of its parts allows you to move on to the main task. winding the line into the bobbin. Technological features of the bobbin’s construction and the number of working eyes determine the sequence of operations.
The most common variant and easy sequence of actions:
- The size of the bobbin and the length of the unique factory winding determine the recommended length of fishing line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. usually, on the inside of the reel is marked with an arrow in what direction the winding is conducted.
- A small piece of fishing line is left free to be wound outside, it is fixed in a special groove on the inside of the bobbin, created to hold the bobbin winding when assembling it to working condition.
- The leftover end of the line is passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The halves of the bobbin are assembled and put on the trimmer’s boom.
How to remove the spool from a Makita grass trimmer?
Press the spool lock and rotate the body guard as far as it will go so that the spout on the guard is in the middle of the lock. Then remove the protective cover and take out the bobbin.
A hexagon is the best line for a grass trimmer if dry grass needs to be mowed. Of course, if the area is thick with dead wood, we would advise you to use a milling machine, but if there is little vegetation, a hexagon will do a better job.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer reel. preparation
The grass trimmer reel is in the mowing head, which consists of a spring, reel and two covers.
- The first step is to disassemble and remove the trimmer head. To do this, press the catches on the sides of the body as far as they will go and turn them clockwise.
- To open the mowing head press the side latches, if you can’t open it with your hands you can use a screwdriver. Remove the spool.
- For the right choice of the right fishing line for your grass trimmer, look at the numerical designations on the inside. The numbers indicate the required line diameter in millimeters.
- If you do not find this information, you can determine the maximum diameter by taking a line for the trimmer and putting it through the hollow hole. The thread should run freely back and forth.
- There are two ways to wind the line, let’s look at each of them in detail.
Features of trimmers
Grass trimmer, mowing grass with a fishing line, can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flowerbeds, row spacing on the garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, as a grass trimmer, exists in several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a trimmer line. Of course, the grass trimmer line tucked into the grass trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later it will be necessary to replace it with a new.
The consumption of fishing line directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is mowed and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more active it consumes a line for the trimmer. And, accordingly, the faster it will run out. In this connection, the question arises: how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. And after all, the winding of the line on the spool plays an important role in the work of the grass trimmer. In order for the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind a new line for the trimmer on the spool. On how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
The final part of the instruction
Usually, the process of replacing the line on the trimmer of a particular model is popularly described in the accompanying documentation. Another issue is that this documentation often comes in a foreign language, as the notorious lawnmowers in the mass of its products are imported.
Meanwhile, there is a much simpler, more economical and useful for human health and nature. putting in order lawns with an ordinary peasant scythe. Blade of grass trimmer:
which is further accompanied by abundantly growing greenery, and not the formation of dead wood as a result of the grass trimmer.
Types of trimmer heads for coils
The main element of the trigger is a mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. It is where the line for the trimmer (cord) is tucked in. Heads differ in the way they feed and reel filament. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The filament is fed after the user has lowered the engine speed. Automatic cord feed is very handy when a large amount of work needs to be done. The disadvantage of such a head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. This head does not require the user to perform any complicated operations. Its working principle is designed so that the line for the trimmer starts to automatically lengthen when the grass trimmer works at full speed. You only need to lightly knock the head of the device on the ground (this will remove the blocking of the fishing line), and the cord due to the centrifugal force will be advanced from the bobbin. Then trimmer line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, you must stop the machine. After that, the line for the trimmer will need to be pulled manually.
Types of trimmer spools
Tips and recommendations on how to wind the line for your trimmer and what to know
- It is necessary to install the cover before the clicks. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of locks. If one catch does not snap, then when you start the tool drum can jump out and injure a man
- Do not wind the line for the trimmer with a strong retraction, as well as in an amount greater than can be inserted in its place. it is better not to wind the tooling, than more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to uncoil it if necessary
- If you own the tool with one line (usually these are low-powered machines), then the coiling process is carried out in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacing the material, you should first check that the tool is working properly, and then start mowing the grass. If you don’t do a pre-test, the power line could break loose and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose the right quality material so you don’t get hurt when working with chain saws, trimmers, and brushcutters. When mowing grass, small stones and other materials fall under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances. Therefore, despite the fact that the line for the trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after replacing the new material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or knives are available for this purpose.