Simple steps for setting up a circular saw
Circular saw. the basic equipment for processing lumber. When sawing precise blanks is very important qualitative sawing of wood. If during the processing of lumber let significant mistakes, the workpiece will get crooked, and the product sloppy. Every carpenter should know how to properly set up a circular saw in order to assemble truly quality woodwork.
How to make a cut at an angle of 45 degrees?
This angle is found in the manufacture of various products. Let’s start cutting. First, the sole of the saw shifts ninety degrees. Depending on the model, there is a bolt with a red knob on the side of the sole plate that needs to be loosened.
After that the sole plate is shifted to an angle of forty-five degrees and the bolt is secured back. We take a piece of chipboard as a workpiece. Fix it with the help of clamps on the table top, so that the part that will be cut will be outside the table.
Then the ruler is set. It is usually included with the circular saw. The saw has two marks zero and 45. We will cut 30 millimeters, for which we align the three on the ruler with a mark of forty-five on the sole. After you screw in the bolt that fixes the ruler.
Further it is necessary to place the sole so that in the edge of a preparation the ruler has rested. The saw is started and after it is fully unwound, the ruler is pressed firmly against the edge of the workpiece moving in a forward direction.
Make the cut without stopping
It is desirable not to stop when sawing wooden parts. The circular saw must run smoothly over the material and not interrupt. Otherwise the boards are uneven and have cuts that prevent you from using the wood again.
The movements should be smooth and gentle so the blade doesn’t dull and runs smoothly over the board. It is also advisable to check the length of the cord beforehand. If it can’t reach. use an extension cord. Otherwise the wood will also be unevenly cut.
Make the cut without stopping
It is desirable not to stop during the sawing of wooden parts. The circular saw must run smoothly over the material and not interrupt. Otherwise the boards will be left with irregularities and cuts that will prevent further use of the wood.
The movements should be smooth and gentle, so that the blade does not blunt and runs smoothly along the board. It is also advisable to check the length of the cord beforehand. If it can’t reach. use an extension cord. Otherwise the wood will also be unevenly cut.
Features of the sabre saw
The machine is a multi-purpose tool and is easy in use. Therefore, it is allowed to work with a saber electric saw without any special skills. You can perform the following types of work with a saber saw:
- to dismantle old windows and door frames;
- trim unnecessary branches on trees in the garden;
- Cut wood along its length;
- Cutting metal profiles and pipes. you can cut pipes flush to the wall because of the flexible cutting attachment;
- Cut metal rods and rebar;
- Cut decorative objects in wood.
The electric sabre saw allows making parallel cuts, but its quality, if compared to circular saws, is not worth talking about. Making a long and straight cut with a power saber saw is quite difficult.
Before starting to work with a saber saw, check that the rigging and thrust shoe are securely fastened. When working with this tool, adhere to the following rules.
- The workpiece to be sawn or cut must be securely fastened. This applies particularly to metal workpieces.
- Hold the tool with both hands.
- Do not bring the saw blade closer to the workpiece until the machine is switched on. Do not remove the blade from the material until the motor has stopped.
- Use long, flexible blades for flush trimming.
- Do not use a curved blade. If this happens, level it first.
- When working with the sabre saw avoid hitting the ground, walls, or other obstacles.
- When sawing, the support shoe of the power unit must press against the material to be cut. This will prevent vibration and kickback.
- Length of blade should be correct. A blade that is too long and extends beyond the workpiece will vibrate and eventually bend.
- To avoid scratching the surface of the workpiece, the saw blade should be covered with a piece of thermal insulation.
Tip! To operate the wood saber saw more effectively, it is possible to switch on the pendulum motion, which will noticeably increase the sawing speed.
Types of circular hand saw
There is a wide range of circular saws on the shelves of construction stores. All the variety can be divided into:
- Manual tools, which the craftsman moves by himself.
- Stationary saw on a special table, designed for placement in work shops and workshops.
Manual circular saws are divided into different power classes:
- Domestic devices, power up to 2.2 kW.
- Semi-professional models that are more powerful than a home appliance. Highly functional.
- Professional units with more power and functionality. Used in factories.
Another difference is the method of torque transmission, so, allocate:
- Electric models, connected to the standard power supply network.
- Cordless handheld circular saw is convenient where you do not need a power outlet nearby.
- Models with manual drive are a thing of the past, which is hardly used nowadays.
How to Work a Circular Saw Video
Some operations, like trimming dowels and plugs flush to surface, filleting bevels, or sawing short trim sections, are best done by hand. It’s often faster and safer to make cross-cutting into blanks with a regular hacksaw than to try to balance with a long board at a sawing machine. And many woodworkers simply enjoy sawing nibs and other joints by hand.
Although a hacksaw is often the best tool, the cuts are usually not as clean as a coping saw or a circular saw with a high-quality blade. Therefore, when the quality of the cut is important, saw by hand a little away from the intended line and then remove the allowance by planing or sanding, or sawing to the final size on a machine with a circular saw blade.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR THIS ARTICLE IS HERE
The difference between European and Japanese saws is in the direction. Japanese saws have the tips of the teeth tilted toward the handle, so the work is done when you pull the saw toward you instead of pushing it away from you.
Set minimum cutting depth
Correct depth of cut setting will give you a cleaner cut and less noticeable saw blade marks (curls) on the face of plywood.
Set the blade down on your circular saw so that the carbide cutting tip on the tooth exits the plywood no more than halfway.
This depth setting allows the circular saw blade to cut the wood accurately instead of chopping it.
Take into account that the best edge of the kerf of the plywood is at the bottom, so plan to saw the piece with its front side facing downwards.
How to choose the right circular saw
In today’s market of construction tools there is a huge number of models of circular hand saws. If you are wondering which handheld circular saw to choose, there are a number of nuances to understand. First of all, when choosing a saw, you need to pay attention to the following characteristics:
How to Use a Circular Saw. Everything you need to know. | Woodworking Basics
- Saw motor power is a parameter that directly affects the efficiency of the tool. If you want to buy a circular hand saw that can be fitted with a large-diameter cutting disc, then you need a model with a powerful motor. The same characteristic affects the cutting depth and the power of the disc rotation. Low-powered saws can get stuck when cutting very hard wood and let you down at the most critical moment. The disadvantage of any powerful model is its weight. For example, an electric handheld wood circular saw with a 1200 watt motor power will weigh about 4 kg, and with 2000 watt power. already 7 kg;
The support platform allows you to adjust the depth of cut
- cutting depth. depends directly on the previous parameter. The more powerful the motor, the larger the disk can be installed on it. A total of 4 sizes are available in cutting depths. The first is a domestic, which is 40-45 mm, the second in depth of cut is 50-55 mm. used for semi-professional needs. Professional circular saws are characterized by a depth of cut of 60-70 mm, and the last size is up to 140 mm. The latter are used in industry, but are not practical for home use. How to choose a circular saw in wood by depth of cut? Compare the sizes with your needs. By the way, some models have a function to adjust the depth of cut;
Cordless models are very useful in places where there is no access to electricity
- blade speed. the density of the material the saw can cut depends on this parameter. Also, the higher the rotational speed, the cleaner the cut; Many users mistakenly believe that the higher the motor power, the higher the speed of the blade. In fact, there is no direct connection between these two parameters. Low-powered chipboard saws have a high RPM and cut fragile material cleanly.
- Cutting angle adjustment. almost all electric handheld circular saw models now have this feature. It is used mostly for professional work, and is not needed for amateur sawing boards or plywood.
Circular saw with sawing angle adjustment function
Electric handheld circular saw: additional functions
Many modern saws have a number of additional features that allow for a neater cut and many other things. Below we will consider a number of popular and useful functions:
plunge into the material. this function makes it possible, when working with the material, to start cutting it not from the edge of the sheet, but from any place;
- connection of a vacuum cleaner. very useful feature to blow out sawdust generated during sawing. This not only clears the air in the working room, but also greatly improves the view of the material;
- start lock. two buttons must be pressed simultaneously to start the saw mechanism. This prevents the user from starting the saw suddenly, i.e. increases the level of operational safety;
Rockwell RK3440K Mini Circular Circular Saw with Laser Pointer
- Smooth start. the saw blade starts to rotate smoothly, not immediately at maximum speed. This extends its working life;
- A laser pointer. this eliminates the need for a guide rail for a handheld circular saw. But you will need some skills for this, because a beginner who first took the circular electric hand saw in his hands will not be able to make a precise and straight cut;
- Stationary dust and chip extraction system. very practical for small jobs. For example, the Makita 5017 RKB circular saw has such a container, which makes it very convenient for work in confined spaces.
In addition to all of the above, it is very important to have attachment guards that cover part of the blade.
The Makita 5017 RKB circular saw is equipped with a plastic container for collecting sawdust and an effective dust extraction system
Choice of circular saw blades for handheld circular saw
The main working part of any circular saw is the cutting blade. It is the one that cuts the material. How to choose circular saws with the right blades? It is necessary to take into account what kind of materials one is going to work with. So a blade with trapezoidal teeth is good for a precise cut in many materials, variable teeth are used for cutting wood along the grain. For harder materials we advise to use discs with hardened teeth or carbide tips. Sharpening circular saws with carbide tips cost more than conventional ones, but they last longer and work more efficiently.
The main features of circular saw blades are outer diameter, blade thickness and number of teeth. The most common and universal type of discs is the 20 cm.
Use a guide bar when working with a circular saw to keep the saw blade pointed to the side
Outer disc size is not as important as inner disc size. It is the inside diameter that is the key to the fit. The wrong saw blade cannot be mounted on the saw.
The number of teeth on the saw blade determines the quality and speed of the work. A larger number of teeth is needed for a cleaner cut, but this will be slower than a blade with fewer teeth.
Ideally, the good operator should have several different circular sawblades at hand to work on different materials in the most efficient way.
Quality of work is directly related to the circular saw blade