How to wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer reel
The head. the main part of the grass trimmer. It is a base with a bobbin, on which the cord is wound. A total of 3 types of heads are distinguished:
- Manual. Allows you to extend the cord (trimmer line) manually after the engine has stopped completely.
- Semi-automatic. Using this head is easy and convenient. It operates on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches the maximum revolutions, the user lightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, due to which the blocking of the fishing line is removed. The cord is thus pulled out by centrifugal force, and the owner of the machine has only to cut it with a knife.
- Automatic. The line for the trimmer is fed after the engine speed has been reduced. This head is convenient if you need to work for a long time. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is the rapid deterioration of the cord thread.
Now, to find out how to tuck the grass trimmer spool, it is necessary to pay attention to the choice of the cord.
Disassembling the head
The first thing to do is to disassemble the mowing head. For convenience, it can be removed from the grass mower. The head is made up of two parts connected by two catches on each side. They just need to be pressed together, and the construction comes apart.
To wind the cord, you need to take the spool. It often has inscriptions with information about what diameter of line for the trimmer can be put.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and extract the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the fishing line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel, it is necessary to remove it from there. The reel or spool is the device inside the mowing head, spool or reel. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same in all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!You can replace the fishing line directly on the tool, but if you are doing it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and study the detailed process of winding. Once the technology is mastered, it is possible to perform the replacement work on a trimmer brushcutter or gasoline-powered brushcutter. Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are as follows:
Turn the tool upside down with the head facing up, and if necessary, clean it of dirt. Grasp the cover retainers (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After lightly pressing them in, remove the protective cap from the drum
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the entire head, if you know how to perform the replacement. When disassembling, keep in mind these nuances:
- It is advisable to remove the head periodically to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you never unscrew the screw, it will be difficult and even sometimes impossible to do so if necessary
- If the screw has a square head bore, then a screwdriver or bits of the right size should be selected for unscrewing, to prevent the facets on the head from sticking out
- When assembling the unit, you should treat the threaded seating with lubricants, such as solidol or machine oil
- If the edges on the screw have slipped off, you can use special tongs to unscrew it
- There are reels that do not require prior disassembly. To remove it, you need to take hold of the guard and turn it clockwise in the opposite direction of the arrow
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Changing the trimmer fishing line on the disc
To change the filament on the brushcutter blade, proceed as follows
- Let’s remove the protective cover from the boom;
- Lock the grass trimmer drive shaft by putting a screwdriver through the hole in the gear bowl to the hole in the shaft hub;
- Unscrew and remove from the hub of the grass trimmer drive shaft the spool with the fishing line;
- Mount the blade on the shaft by aligning the slits on the hub washer with the notches in the mounting hole of the blade;
- Again stop the drive shaft of the grass trimmer and tighten the attachment nut. It is advisable to tighten the nut with a pipe wrench, but not to overdo it;
- Replace the blade guard.
Important! Changing cutting elements should be done safely and with care. It is imperative that you read the instruction manual and follow all of the rules stated there. This will guarantee productive, reliable and safe operation of the grass trimmer.
The choice of fishing line
In order to refill the fishing line in the trimmer head successfully, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for the trimmer is used, the diameter of which is 2 mm. To find the right diameter for your mower, you can do the following:
- Check the instruction manual that came with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes information about the possible line diameters is printed on it.
- Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet. If it will easily pass into it, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
You can choose a cord according to the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the motor in this case will overheat a lot and will soon fail. Helpful tips:
- For an electric device with a motor under 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick cord will do. If you don’t have one, you can use a 1.6-mm trimmer line. If the power is greater than 1 kW, then choose a cord diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower is important. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common round section lines. They mow fresh grasses well, but do not handle shrubs and dead wood as well.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- Serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star-shaped or square grass trimmer cord can mow the lawn more evenly, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest cord is two-part cord with inner core and round section.
Types of lines for grass trimmer
Please note that instead of fishing line you may not use wire, metal cords and ropes, or ordinary fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and those around them. So the cord or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly apart with great speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
How to insert a fishing line into a grass trimmer for a trimmer?
Filling the mowing reel with cutting filament for the grass trimmer is not a difficult task, but beginner gardeners will have to practice a little to be able to quickly insert the cord into the existing household grass trimmer in the future.
There are only a few ways to thread the grass trimmer’s mowing head. The first method is the easiest, and is well suited for beginner gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the reel in this sequence:
- First, you will need to wind off about 6 m of line from the common spool for the grass trimmer, then cut the resulting section in half. The result should be two strands, each 3 m long;
- Then on one end of the first piece will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, start winding the line on the spool in the direction of the arrow. During winding, you need to make sure that the line for the trimmer is evenly laid on the surface of the bobbin, and did not go beyond its upper section. To wind up to the end of the segment is not necessary, in the hands should remain about 15 cm of thread;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord should be inserted into one of the notches located at the top of the bobbin;
- Further it is necessary to do the same procedure with the second piece of a fishing line. It will need to be wound onto the lower section of the bobbin;
- As in the first case, it is not necessary to wind the line for the trimmer on the lower section to the end. The remaining piece of thread will need to be inserted into the second slot of the bobbin.
After you’ve finished, you need to put the spool on the weed trimmer and start it up. To check if the line is securely fastened you need to push the throttle lever all the way down so that the engine reaches maximum rpm. If the line for the trimmer does not fly out of the head, it means that the line for the trimmer is held securely, and during grass mowing it will not fly out of the mowing reel.
Working with a technique such as a grass trimmer requires caution and care. Compliance with safety measures during work is mandatory for beginners and experienced trimmers. It happens so that confident mowers let their guard down, make irreparable mistakes and seriously injure themselves. That’s why it’s important when working with the machine
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not coil more line than necessary: it is difficult to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel, be sure to check the operation of the tool before mowing.
- Choose quality material that fits your particular trimmer.
You should not try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear goggles and appropriate footwear.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind the line for the trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for the experienced masters of trimmers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and malfunctioning of the machine. These recommendations state the following:
- Install the cover until it clicks into place. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of locks. If one latch does not click into place, the reel can jump out when the tool is started and injure a person
- Do not wind the line for the trimmer with a strong pull on it, as well as in an amount greater than can be inserted in its place. It is better not to wind the tooling, than more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own a tool with not two line outputs, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle rim between the extreme bases of the spool
- After replacing the material, you should first check that the tool works properly and then start mowing the grass. If it is not checked beforehand, the reel will uncoil and injure the person
This is interesting!Please choose the correct material so as not to be injured when working with gasoline mowers, trimmers and brushcutters. In the process of mowing grass under the rotating parts get small stones and other materials that can fly long distances so, despite the fact that the line for the trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this purpose.