How to wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer reel
The head is the main part of the grass trimmer. It has a base with a spool, on which the filament is wound. There are three types of heads in total:
- Manual. Allows you to extend the cord (line for trimmer) manually after the engine has completely stopped.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head is characterized by simplicity and convenience. It works on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches maximum revolutions, the user lightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, due to which the blocking of the fishing line is removed. The filament is pulled out by centrifugal force, and the wearer has only to cut it with the blade.
- Automatic. the trimmer line is fed after the engine speed has been reduced. Such a head turns out to be convenient in cases where there is a need to carry out long work. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is the rapid wear and tear of the cord.
Now, in order to figure out how to tuck the grass trimmer spool, it is necessary to pay attention to the choice of cord.
First of all, to wind the fishing line requires removing the spool (spool, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working arrangement of the motor and spool in the bottom, as a rule, have on both sides of the reel side keys. When pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the spool, along with the internal contents for winding the fishing line, detaches, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. Disassembly of the bobbin, it is desirable to make on a flat smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and not lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a reel with a special wing nut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a stationary position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the boom nut wing nut. After disconnecting the nut, the entire reel is removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. To immobilize the rod, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow spinning motion is used to position the screwdriver inside the hole and the bobbin is locked in place. The spool body is then turned clockwise (with the left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, bobbins, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In spools with a drum unscrew the drum, in spools with latches, the latches-fixators are pressed and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the bobbin halves are threaded together, it is sufficient to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Removing and disassembling the bobbin
The mowing head consists of a cover, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, and a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the reel of the electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer. The method of disassembly depends on the fastening of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover on the inside of the mowing head, press in on the catches on both sides.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the body. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully pulled out.
- Having removed the bobbin, in the center of the body you will see a screw. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to lock the shaft. To do this, these devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal bar is inserted. A brief instruction:
- Insert the screwdriver into the hole and hammer the shaft in.
- Take hold of the head body and start twisting it. Do this in a clockwise direction, because. к. the thread on the shaft is left-handed.
Winding the line onto the spool
How to tuck the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel? Video tutorial
First of all, the winding of the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
How to Reload Craftsman Weed Trimmer Easy Wind Head
- small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and spool at the bottom usually have side keys on both sides of the reel. When pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the spool with the internal contents for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. Disassembly of the bobbin should preferably be done on a flat, smooth place, so that the included spring does not pop out and get lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a reel with a special wing nut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a stationary position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the boom wing nut. After loosening the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- Electric and gasoline grass trimmers with the ability to install a blade on a straight shaft (such as STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the bobbin, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow spinning motion achieves a mutual arrangement where the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is locked. After that, turn the spool body clockwise (with the left-hand thread) and remove it from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, reels, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. To unscrew the wing nut on a reel with a wing nut and to release one part of the reel from the other part on a reel with latches. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, it is sufficient to turn them by hand in opposite directions until complete unscrewing.
Want to see? Best chainsaws rating!
Coiling up the line
Slowly completed disassembly of the spool spool without losing its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding up the line in the spool. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of operations.
Reel with one operating clamp
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The size of the bobbin and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the bobbin.
- the line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin of the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inner side of the reel there is an arrow indicating in what direction the winding is conducted.
- Small part of line is left free for taking it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inner side of the bobbin, designed for holding the winding when assembling the bobbin to the working condition.
- The leftover end of the fishing line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the spool.
- The halves of the bobbin are assembled and put on the rod of the trimmer device.
Reel with two operating tendrils
In this type of bobbins, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases you take a line for a trimmer with a length of 2-3 m.
In single reels the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, then reeled in the opposite direction of rotation of the reel on the boom. the arrow inside usually indicates the correct reeling direction.
If there are fixing grooves the ends of the line are pushed through or held by fingers of free hand, pushed through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and fastened to the rod of the trimmer product.
The difference of winding the line in double reels is that initially a piece of line of 2-5 m length is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both line tendrils are wound each on its groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the above variant with one groove.
- Performing this procedure for the first time may seem time-consuming and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be much faster and easier.
- The video below will clearly show how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel and correctly wind it up. this operation is not anything complicated and with some patience will definitely succeed:
Automatic line winding on a spool
There is a kind of reels that has an automatic mechanism that winds the line by itself, all you need to do is to tuck the line in correctly for your trimmer.
line for the trimmer is passed through the hole on the inner part of the body, its tendrils without winding are put through the hole on the outer casing, the bobbin is collected, and by rotating the winding button the line for the trimmer inside is winded by itself.
With such a bobbin, it is impossible to do winding incorrectly: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, because it can only turn in one direction.
All about changing a line on a trimmer head
There are many types of heads that are designed for different types of line. the last one is also available in several diameters: from 1.0 mm to 3.2 mm. The cross-section is round (including a special groove for noise reduction), square, twisted, and star-shaped.
There is no clear preference, and this explains the large variety of shapes and diameters on the market. The round shape is usually stronger, but has a worse cutting ability, and also makes a characteristic sound when rotated. That’s why they sometimes make an acoustic groove on it, though, the use of this fishing line only makes sense on battery trimmers, machines with a gasoline-powered and mains drive have the sound level of the drive itself almost drowns out the sound of the fishing line. A square has a good cutting ability, and despite the fact that such a line for trimmer is less strong than a round line, on average, it is consumed less. A square line for a trimmer quite easily cuts the same willow bushes up to 1 cm in diameter. The star has the greatest number of cutting edges, it mows the best and is the fastest consuming.
The next nuance in the choice is stiffness. The fact that in the manufacture of nylon in it added modifier (often maleic anhydride), which improves its strength and prevents breaking. However, modifiers are not the cheapest component, and people try to save on it. That’s why a seemingly good line for a trimmer, which was left for the winter, suddenly behaves completely differently in spring. it tears, stops to come out of the spool normally. There is a recommendation to soak trimmer line in water before working, but I do not see much point in this, maleic anhydride interacts with water, but if it is not enough in the nylon. then there will be nothing to interact with. Therefore, there is no point in stocking up on fishing line for a long period of time, broken or constantly tearing fishing line for the trimmer, which in addition does not want to come out of the spool itself, can significantly complicate the work.
How to remove a trimmer line
To change the trimmer line in the trimmer, remove the head cover. To do this, press the catch on both sides of the cover with your fingers and pull the cover upward. Access to the spool is now visible. Then pull it out by pulling up on the axis on which the spool sits. If the ends of the line are sticking out of the head holes, then lift the spool on its axis and pull the rest of the line inside out of the head holes. Now the part does not hold anything and it is easy to remove it and remove the remaining working thread.
The spool is divided into two parts by the central notch. Parts vary in size from one model to another, so check how much fishing line can be wound onto the reel. Its length varies between 1 and 4 m.
Winding the line on the grass trimmer
Gradual and accurate removal of the bobbin from the reel of the grasshopper allows you to go directly to the winding of the line. Design features of the head, number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of operations in this operation, and determine the methods used. Today there are several varieties of reels, depending on the number of line tendrils and methods of threading:
Restring a 2 sided spool on a string trimmer weed eater EASY!!
Grass trimmer reel with one tendril
Many owners and professionals note the ease of operating and threading a single mast reel. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of line to be wound varies from 2 to 5 meters. In the head, the end of the fishing line is inserted into a special technological groove or hole, and winding is performed in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most spools have marks in the form of arrows on the outside of the housing, which indicate the direction of travel of the grass trimmer reel.
After winding, leave 15-30 cm of free end to reinforce the centrifugal force that is decisive for the retrieval of trim line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We put the left end through the working hole of the spool and make the assembly of the head.
Trimmer head with two strands
After removing the bobbin from the body of the spool, determine the number of thread spools for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between single groove and double groove spools, but there are operating problems with careless insertion into the paired groove. Because of the possibility of intertwining of the neighboring lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after the working arms are worn out, it is impossible to remove the new ones.
Regardless of the number of spools, a trimmer line of 1.5 to 3 meters. Winding must be done in the opposite direction of rotation of the head, because winding with the direction of movement will lead to the fact that the line for the trimmer will not be extracted from the bobbin. Once the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel, the free ends (15-30 cm) are pushed through the special holes. Then you assemble the trimmer head in the reverse order of disassembly and check its functionality. Do not worry if the ends of the two tendrils are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer for grass, the blade mounted on the protection will cut off the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market have a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and fix the ends in the head, and the winding operation will perform the tool itself when you turn on the operating mode. Incorrect winding of fishing line in the trimmer for grass trimmer with this head is almost impossible, because the spool itself determines the position of the tendrils. The advantages of the automatic grass trimmer head include the ease of filling the line, and the disadvantages. frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of design and high cost.
Block: 3/3 | characters: 3075
Instructions with a step-by-step description of how to wind the grass trimmer reel and lawnmower
In order not to make a mistake in choosing the right line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually presented on the tip, which will not allow you to make a mistake with the application of the appropriate rigging.
If the information on the spool is about what diameter line for the trimmer can be threaded, then you can check this information in the instruction manual. After deciding on the thickness or diameter of the tool, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways of doing this, but they are not all applicable. Let’s look at both methods in detail, and depending on what models of brushcutter and trimmer you use, you decide for yourself which variant is suitable.
This is interesting! The principle of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the tip of the brushcutter, is appropriate not only for standalone gasoline units, but also for electric trimmers.
Block: 5/8 | Characters: 933
The next step is to wind up the line for the trimmer, making sure each end is in its groove. Once wound, the ends of the line should be temporarily inserted into the side grooves.
Then put the spool in the head, put the cover on top, straighten the ends of the line so they come out of the slots, and then secure everything with the clips.
See the author’s video for details on how to wind the trimmer line onto the head of the grass trimmer. This review is based on a video from the HotSEM YouTube channel.