The classic handheld model is designed for cutting ceramic and porcelain tile. The listed materials are used for wall and floor cladding in residential and general civil areas.
Ceramic Tile. Or tile, in the commonly used name. Housed in rectangular annealed clay plates. Native color. brown with shades of light to dark tones. The upper part is covered with a decorative colored glaze. The average thickness of the products 6
Conventional wall and floor tiles are inferior in hardness and strength to porcelain tile by 1.5
1.7 times. Therefore, when choosing a tile cutter, it is necessary to remember about the technical properties of the processed material.
Maintenance of the tile cutter
After each working session, the tool should be cleaned of dust and dirt, and the fasteners, rollers and other functional elements should be checked for reliability. Once a month if used regularly, it is a good idea to check the guide rails that may have been distorted by the high loads. How to use a handheld tile cutter correctly to maintain the accuracy of the fit that holds the workpiece platform? When making the cut, it’s important that the line runs smoothly without any obstacles or deviations. The hand must be able to freely perform the operation in a given direction. In the opposite case, a deflected movement can not only displace the guide line, but also deform its design.
How to use a handheld tile cutter correctly?
High-quality processing of tile materials is impossible without a special tool. In enterprises and professional construction such tasks are solved by electrical equipment and productive machines. But for home conditions, the purchase of such units is inexpedient because of their high cost and small amount of work.
To prepare one row of 5-10 elements, for example, will allow a manual tile cutter. Depending on the version, it can make straight cuts, shape cuts and create a hole. But in all cases, a truly qualitative result is achieved only with the competent handling of the tool.
How to use a handheld tile cutter? The main principles of operation is reduced to slowness, accuracy and diligence during the working process. These are the basic requirements for delicate tile cutting.
The handheld tile cutter is simple in design and easy to use. It is enough to cut the enameled material with a diamond cutter, and then use an angle to break the product. The tool is ideal for small jobs. It is designed for cutting ceramic and other types of tiles. Thanks to the use of a tile cutter, you can avoid the dust and noise that you can not do without when cutting tiles with an angle grinder.
Goldblatt’s Pro Handheld Tile Cutter and Pliers | Product Tutorial
A manual tile cutter consists of several elements:
Hand-held tile cutter is used when the thickness of the tiles does not exceed 15 mm. It is worth noting that some models come with a circular cutter, which allows you to perform holes of different diameters. There are also tools that resemble pliers in appearance. Such tile cutters are called pliers.
A manual tile cutter is characterized by a simple design and ease of use. It is enough to cut the enameled material with a diamond cutter, and then use the angle to break the product. The tool is ideal for performing small amounts of work. It is designed for cutting ceramic and other types of tiles. Thanks to the use of a tile cutter, you can avoid the dust and noise that you can’t do without when cutting tiles with an angle grinder.
The handheld tile cutter consists of several elements:
A manual tile cutter is used when the thickness of the tiles does not exceed 15 mm. It is worth noting that some models come with a circular cutter, which makes it possible to perform holes of different diameters. There are also tools that resemble the appearance of pliers. Such tile cutters are called pliers.
Advantages of a handheld tile cutter
Compared to an electric tile cutter, a handheld tile cutter has the following advantages:
- Low cost. It should also be noted the cheapness of the cutting element: a diamond disc is much more expensive than a roller.
- Compact and light weight. easy to transport.
- Easy to use design.
- Independent of electricity.
- No noise and no dust.
- No operating costs: you have to pay for electricity when using the electric version.
- Ability to work in any humidity and temperature.
- Performance. For a large amount of work it is better to use an electric tile cutter.
- Cut quality. After the hand-held tile cutter, the edge, if it will not be hidden by the baseboard, has to be sanded.
- The complexity of performing the operation. A beginner will have to spend some time, albeit a little, to learn how to move the roller with the same force and uniform speed.
- The ability to cut tiles in a straight line only. An ordinary electric tile cutter also has this limitation, but there are special models for curved (shaped) cutting. The cutting element is a ring rotated by a motor.
- There is no way to cut a groove in the tile.
- The width of the cut cannot be less than 1 cm.
It is required to know how to safely carry out work on cutting tiles with your own hands, how to avoid possible injuries. There are a number of requirements that must be observed:
- Inspect the tile cutter to see if it is working and broken.
- Check the movement of the carriage. It should move smoothly, without jerks.
- The guides must be flat and smooth, without damage.
- The cutting disc should have an even surface, without burrs and potholes. It should rotate freely on the axis without squeaking or getting stuck.
For safety purposes, you need to use protective plastic goggles and cloth gloves.
How to make a tile cutter with your own hands: the necessary materials for the tool
As already noted, people often use a homemade tile cutter to work with tiles, but before such a tool can be used, it must be made. As practice shows, it is not as difficult as it may seem at first.
Let’s consider what materials you need to take to make your own hands a cutter for cutting ceramic tiles:
- Metal sheet is used to create the base of the tile cutter. Desirable thickness of such a plate varies from 4 to 50 mm.
- Angle grinder most often acts as a cutting roller for cutting ceramic tiles.
- The diameter of the clamps should be at least 0.8 mm and no more than 10 mm. This is an obligatory condition.
- Counter nuts.
With this unpretentious kit, you can assemble your own tile cutter at home. In doing so, get an electric tool that is water cooled. Water is needed in this case in order to cool the disk of the angle grinder, which is always heated when working on cutting ceramic tiles. This type of cooling can be found in big saws used for cutting stones, for example, jade. In order to do everything correctly, you need drawings of the tool with a description of each part and, preferably, with a detailed algorithm of the work itself.
How to choose a motor
If you are confident, then begin the process. To make a tile cutter using an autonomous electric motor, you need to select and install the gearbox, which helps to set the desired movement of the disk. On the technical side, this solution is quite complicated, so it is recommended to resort to another solution. to use a small angle grinder, equipped with the option of manually regulating the speed of the disc.
Making a mechanical tile cutter
In order to make a homemade tile cutter, you need to prepare a platform on which the tile will be attached and the action will be performed. It can be made out of a board. The main thing is to have an even surface without humps and depressions. On the platform will be attached to the cutting element and guides. As a cutting element is mainly used glass cutter with the head removed, to which the blade is attached.
Once the main parts are assembled, you need to find additional. If you have a lot of spare parts from other appliances in your garage, it will be easy to pick up the rest. What will be needed:
- Glue and rubber;
- 2 small bearings and a shaft to work them;
- Steel tube with the diameter of the shaft;
- Steel corners in sizes 20X20 (4pc) and 40X40 (2pc).
If you have a welding machine. very good. If not. you can use glue for metal. What it’s for? In order to fasten the corners to each other and make a so called frame for a tile cutter with their own hands. You should see two U-shaped symmetrical pieces. As you have already understood, this is what welding is for. Fasten these parts to the platform so that the cutting element can move freely in the middle.
Wood is not particularly durable, so it is additionally installed metal strips, which are placed on the hinges. In the middle of the board make an indentation, which serves as a groove for the cutting element. You need this groove in order not to damage the platform with the glass cutter during the work, which will fall below a bit of tile.
When all is ready, as described above, you need to fix the blade. For this purpose, a steel tube is taken, to which the blade retainer is attached on one side, and the handle is attached on the other side. The blade of the glass cutter is a diamond disc which reaches the tile on the platform when the handle is pressed. To create the incision, the handle must be carefully moved over the surface of the tile. Bearings are needed so that the moving part of the device moves smoothly and evenly. Check if the tile cutter is properly assembled. In the last turn, it is necessary to attach rubber bands to the edges of the board. The fact that the wood slips, and the tiles can move on the working surface. In order to avoid this happening, rubber strips are attached. Manual tile cutter with his own hands can begin to operate.
How To Cut Tile With Handheld Tile Cutters
Making an electrical device
Electric tile cutter is more advanced. Its cost is higher than the mechanical, but it works faster. In addition, it does not require the use of physical force. The main thing is to observe all safety rules. Actions are based on the principle of the angle grinder, so you can use such a tool as a base. The goal in such a case is to secure the angle grinder correctly on the platform. If in the previous version on the platform attached to the glass cutter with a diamond disc, in this on a similar principle to mount the angle grinder.
The power of the angle grinder is much stronger than the physical strength of a person, respectively, and the platform should be more powerful. If you have an old but sturdy table at home, you can use it as a platform. To carry such a device will be much harder than a mechanical one. The platform is made with a groove in the middle. It is needed so that the scroll drive will not cut the table. In addition to the groove, you need to make stoppers for the tiles. The tile should not move to the side while working, as an uneven cut will come out.
For smooth running of the angle grinder, it must be secured to steel tubes. Tubes are welded to each other by the type of attachment of steps on the stepladder. This is how you can adjust the height for different tile thicknesses. The last action. at the right height should be fixed the ring in which the angle grinder will be clamped. It is desirable to attach a diameter-adjustable ring, for the possibility of changing the angle grinder. The tile cutter from the angle grinder with his own hands is ready.
The tile is fed on a slat under the angle grinder, which is strictly fixed under the table.
- this technical solution is the easiest, because it involves a secure attachment of the cutting disc from the bottom of the table top and the installation of a guide rail (HP) with the possibility of adjusting it;
- Under the table you can put a bucket of water, which will catch a little dust, and cool the disk.
- a lot of dust, because such a tile cutter cuts ceramics across the entire thickness and cannot make a small cut;
- inconvenient adjustment of the angle grinder because of its location under the tabletop.
The fixed tile is cut with the grinder, which is mounted on top of the table top to a straight rail-slide.
- Less dust is generated because you can simply cut through the ceramic and not have to cut through;
- the tool can be adjusted.
- It is very difficult to make such a tile cutter without certain skills;
- You need to additionally manually work the surface of the tile notch so that it splits into pieces.
If you compare the two tools, the first will be easier to make in the conditions of the home. So below we describe how to make it.
Manual tile cutter: how to cut tiles properly?
When working with wall cladding material or laying paving walkways, you often need to cut individual elements to the exact size. Such a task is solved with the help of a manual tile cutter, the selection criteria of which are offered to your attention in this article.
On what the choice is based?
To determine which manual tile cutter is better to choose, it is recommended to imagine with what frequency it will be used, what working volumes will be mastered, what building materials will have to cut.
If you purchase a tool for repair work, performed by your own forces, you should pay attention to manual modifications. They are economical, cut one and a half centimeters thick tiles, and do not make noise while working.
When a large amount of work is to be done and perfect cutting is required, especially when tiles of different materials are used, including stone, it is best to immediately buy a tile cutter with an electric drive. This type of tool is more productive, it cuts a thick tile in one minute, making an even cut.
Hand tool for professionals and amateurs
These groups of tile cutters are deliberately divided into. Amateur variant costs not very much, but does not withstand a prolonged load. No or very little additional functionality, or its quality leaves much to be desired. Such a tool is used in single repairs.
Professional grade tools will cost you a pretty penny, but the price difference is paid back by the high quality construction and good components, accurate design calculations. The quality of cutting is higher, and the tool’s service life increases.
For convenient use, the kit includes rulers, stops, angles and other accessories. A tile cutter of this group is popular among masters of finishing works.
A tile cutter for porcelain tiles
This material is stronger than facing tile, and a special tile cutter is used to work with it. a professional one, equipped with bearings that ensure uniform pressure of the cutting edge on the material. In addition, the cutter should be made of quality metal.
For cutting porcelain tiles a professional tile cutter is needed
The effort required for cutting porcelain tile depends on the size of the lever, so choose a tool with the longest handle possible.
What are the criteria for choosing a tool for cutting tiles
Before you start using a manual tile cutter, it should be properly selected, taking into account all the nuances and distinctive features. There are certain points, to which attention is paid necessarily:
- Full compliance with the stated requirements. The strength of the cutting part is selected taking into account the material to be cut, the maximum parameters of the depth and length of cutting are determined on the basis of the parameters of the tiles used in the repair;
- quality assembly. The tile cutter is visually inspected for defects, the lever is set in motion to make sure there is no backlash. From the pressure on the lever, the guides must retain evenness and not bend;
- The possibility of cutting at an inclination. It’s a useful function, making the tile material in the corners fit with maximum precision. The working platform is easily adjustable, the installation after fixation is not knocked down, the backlash does not appear;
- availability of spares and consumables that need replacing from time to time.
In addition, there is a probability of breakage, and it will not be superfluous to clarify in which stores the components for your tile cutter are purchased, where there are repair shops, if there is no possibility to eliminate the problem by your own efforts.
Cutting with a handheld tile cutter: advantages
Before cutting tiles with a tile cutter, many specialists decide to do it with a hand-held tool, finding certain advantages in that:
- The tool works silently. Electric tile cutter makes loud noise because of the running motor and the contact of the cutting wheel with the material. No such parts in mechanical tools, therefore the noise level is negligible. This fact is especially relevant in homes where there are small children;
- No need to be connected to electricity. Works mechanical tile trimming tool on the muscle power of the master, transmitted through the lever to the cutting edge, so that the model is quite functional without electricity;
- tool reliability. The mechanical tile cutter consists of a minimal set of elements. It is explained by a simple design. Choosing the right tool, you will be able to operate it for quite a long time;
- small weight. The average weight of the tile cutter ranges from two to ten kilograms, which makes it possible to move the tool from one workplace to another;
- additional equipment items. Most tile cutters come with a “ballerina”, with which you can easily make a hole in the tile;
- Some models have an additional function that allows you to cut glass.
On how to work with a manual tile cutter, you can learn from the video on the Internet.
Rating of manual tile cutters
We offer you a list of models of manual tile cutters, differing in cost and technical characteristics, from which professional specialists and amateurs of independent repairs make the final choice. Many masters prefer the manual tile cutter Sigma, but there are other worthy options.
Zubr 33193 80
Monorail tile cutter of mechanical type, suitable for working with tile and porcelain tile material with a thickness of five to sixteen millimeters, even if cutting is performed at an angle. The cutting process is carried out thanks to the available roller, the diameter of which is 2.2 cm diameter, and a 6 mm pitch hole.
Weight of the tool is 7 kg 400 g, approximate
The tile cutter is made by a domestic manufacturer, special guides guarantee the rigidity of the entire structure, which is necessary for work with porcelain tiles. The available bearings ensure the smooth and easy running of the cutter. Cover included in shipment.
How to Use a Manual Tile Cutter Beginners Guide
Two-rail tile cutter from the group of mechanical tools, cutting ceramic tiles. The diameter of the cutting roller is 1.5 cm, with a thickness of 1.5 mm and a tile hole size of 6 mm, which cuts tiles up to six millimeters deep. Such a device weighs only a couple of kilograms, costs within one thousand.
The model is inexpensive and lightweight, and is considered a successful repair helper.
Montolit masterpiuma 63p3
Another mechanical monorail model, equipped with a pair of millimeter rulers and side thrusters. It can be used to cut tiles and mosaic glass. Roller diameter of 1.4 cm cuts material to a depth of 2.2 cm, weighs in the range of nine kilograms, costs about twenty-five thousand. Manufactured by an Italian company, used by professional craftsmen.
Rubi star 61
Two-rail tool with side supports, used in tile cutting. Replaceable rollers, six and ten millimeters, provide a quality cut, with a maximum length of 63 cm. This tile cutter weighs no more than four kilograms, and costs seven thousand.
A tool for manual tile cutting, made of high quality metal, shaped like a pencil with a breaker. Used for trimming tile material, works on tile and glass.
Any self-respecting craftsman knows how to work with such a handheld tile cutter.
Cutting roller of such a mechanical tile cutter in diameter is 2.The manual plate cutter has a working height of 2 cm, the slots are 6 mm, and the additional corner stops allow for cutting tiled material with a thickness of 1 cm.4 cm.
The device costs five thousand, weighs only eight and a half kilograms, provides a cutting length of up to sixty centimeters.
How to use a manual tile cutter correctly
How to cut tiles with a handheld tile cutter, you can learn from the video.
But we assure you that such work is not difficult, as it seems to many at first sight. Carrying out actions in a certain sequence, you will avoid a lot of inconsistencies:
- First of all, correctly measure the length of the tile material, take into account the junction areas in the corners and the indentation from the adjacent tiles;
- Position the tile face into the tile cutter, align the intended cut with the marking on the tool;
- With not too much pressure, run the cutting wheel across the tile surface, guiding it toward the stop;
- Press on the handle as soon as the roller comes out beyond the parameters of the tile to break the element within the sawing line.
Now you know how to properly cut tile with a handheld tile cutter. It is important to apply the force smoothly and evenly so as not to damage the surfacing material.
Once you understand the working principles and features of each type of tool, you can easily make the right choice, after which the tile cutter will serve you for a long time. By the way, some masters make homemade handmade tile cutters. For serious work, they are not suitable, but small objects provide a fairly decent.