Useful things to remember when working with a chainsaw
A chainsaw is an excellent tool for cutting wood, it is notable for high performance and reliability. But before you start working with it, you need to read the instruction manual carefully and do a few preparatory steps. These will help to avoid machine damage and ensure safe operation of the machine. The following tips for chain saws are based on the recommendation of the chain saw manufacturer and the experience of professional chain saw operators.
If you have carefully read the Instruction Manual and are familiar with the layout and function of all the parts, you are ready to put your chainsaw into service for the first time. First make sure that your chainsaw is complete and undamaged externally. The guide bar should be secured in place and the cutting chain should be inserted in its slots and engage in the chain sprocket.
Checking chain tension
It’s important that the tension in the chain is correct. If it is too tight, it can put more strain on the engine and if it is loose, it can cause the chain to jump and jam. Pull the chain up in the middle of the bar to check. If the oil level is too low, the vehicle could lose air and cause injury. If the chain does not change, or if there is excessive slack in the chain, adjust the position of the bar.
Filling with fuel mixture and oil for chain lubrication
According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, a fuel mixture of a specified brand of gasoline and oil for two-stroke carburettor engines is prepared. Ratio for most foreign models is 1:40 or 1:50. Fuel is filled when the fuel filler cap, identified by the fuel filler cap icon, is removed. Separately, fill the chain lubrication system marked with a droplet image with W30-W40 type machine oil.
Often manufacturers advise using own brand brands.
When to Change the Chain
The chain mainly needs to be replaced if it is worn and has excessive elongation. If you can’t tighten the tool properly with the adjustment screw, it needs to be replaced. But installing a new piece on an old, worn sprocket and the same bar is not recommended, because it will wear out quickly.
Many chain saw owners know that chain wear is 2-3 times faster than the tire and sprocket wear, so they have a little trick.
- If you have a new chain saw, you should buy three saw chains at a time.
- After working a chain for a few hours you need to replace the chain with a new one. Further, the second chain is changed in the same way.
- After each time you change tooling, you need to flip the guide bar over to keep it evenly worn.
This simple procedure wears down all parts more evenly and prolongs their working life.
How to use your chainsaw correctly
While performing various works with chainsaws, it is necessary to control the position of the bar, which should be away from a person. Only if the chainsaw is operated correctly is the risk of injury reduced to zero. If a chainsaw is picked up by a beginner, it’s not a good idea to start cutting down large trees right away. One should first practice on knots, and then on large objects.
- Wear only special clothes when operating a chain saw. It is important to use protective helmet and mask, headphones, suit, boots and gloves
- It is necessary to hold a chainsaw with two hands and the legs should be shoulder-width apart. Always remove all obstacles and objects before sawing
- Cutting is a circular motion of the guide bar against the material to be sawn. RPM should be a little less than average
- Do not cut with the bar nose, because if you touch the bar nose it will kick back. Only experienced professionals should be able to saw with a tire tip
- Hold the tool in the right position. The tool can be used standing or kneeling and the back should always be straight
- The connection to the wood should be made with the lower part of the bar
- If the chain jams, apply the brake and turn off the chain saw. Depending on the degree of clamping, the decision on how to properly remove the tool is made on the spot
- To avoid accidents, it is best to work with a chainsaw in combination with another person who can always help and replace the saw
How to Use a Chainsaw Safely. Part 2
Similarly, work is done with electric saws, which differ from gasoline saws by the different type of drive. In addition, the gasoline saw is an autonomous device, while the electric saw can only be used in the household near a 220V outlet.
How to use the extension cord comfortably
Always use an extension cord when working with an electric chainsaw. Standard saw chain is 30 cm long. If the wire plug and the extension cord socket are not connected securely, the saw blade can stop. They cause the chain to break and therefore cause the tool to fail.
Breaking the chain while working can also cause injury to the operator. Therefore, many gardeners use homemade devices to carry the extension cord and securely fix the connection.
There is no need for homemade fasteners, because the manufacturers of electric saws provide an attachment for the extension cord in the construction of the tool. In every model of chain saw, this attachment is a hole located on the back handle of the tool.
In order to fix an extension cord in it, its wire is folded in half. Power saws made according to European safety standards are equipped with special plastic clamps. They securely hold the chain saw’s plug wire in the socket of the extension cord.
The capabilities of the saber electric saw
This is a multi-purpose tool and it’s easy to use. Therefore, it is allowed to work with a saber electric saw without any special skills. With a saber electric saw, it is possible to perform the following types of work:
The electric sabre saw allows making parallel cuts, but its quality, if compared to circular saws, is not worth talking about. To make a long and straight cut with a saber electric saw is quite difficult.
Before starting work with the sabre saw, check that the fixture and blade retaining shoe are securely fastened. When working with this tool, observe the following rules.
- The material to be sawn or cut must be securely supported. This is especially true for metal workpieces.
- Hold the machine with both hands.
- Always hold the blade against the material to be sawn or cut with the machine running. Do not remove the blade from the material until the motor has stopped.
- Use long, flexible blades for flush trimming.
- Do not work with a curved blade. If this happens, first level it.
- While working with the sabre saw, do not allow the blade to hit the ground, the wall, or other obstacles.
- When sawing, the saw blade should press firmly against the wood. This prevents vibration and kickback.
- The length of the blade must be correct. A blade that is too long and extends beyond the workpiece will vibrate and eventually bend.
- To prevent the sawing shoe from scratching the surface of the workpiece, put a piece of thermal insulation on it.
Tip! To cut wood more effectively you can activate the reciprocating action of the wood sabre saw, which improves the cutting speed considerably.
Cutting into logs
Working with an overlying trunk and sawing firewood with a powerful chain saw is a lot easier than felling a tree. But here too you may run into problems. the bar may get stuck in the trunk and you will have to use a jack to get it out.
It is better to saw the trunk from the top, gradually moving towards the root. The logger’s job in this case is to cut the trunk into several large logs that can be rolled. The cut can be either top or bottom. The top cut is made until the trunk begins to lower and push up the bar. After that if possible you need to saw more of the trunk from below. If you can’t get to the bottom, several more cuts are made near the first top cut until the work is finished. Sawing up parts of the trunk into logs is also done from the top, using the top cut.
How to use the extension cord comfortably
When working with an electric chainsaw it is imperative to use an extension cord. The standard saw is 30 cm long. If the wire plug and the extension cord socket are not securely connected, the saw bar may stop. They cause the chain to break and consequently the tool to malfunction.
Breakage of chain while working can also cause injury to the operator. Therefore, many gardeners use homemade devices to carry the extension cord and securely fix the connection.
How to Use a Chainsaw Safely. Part 1
There is no need for homemade mounts, because the manufacturers of electric saws provide a mount for an extension cord in the construction of the tool. In every model of chainsaw, this attachment is a hole located on the back handle of the tool.
In order to secure the extension cord in it, its wire is folded in half. Power saws made to European safety standards are equipped with special plastic clamps. They ensure that the chain saw’s plug wire is securely secured in the socket of the extension cord.
Cordless chainsaws are a type of saw that combines the mobility of gasoline-powered models with the ease of operation of electric models. Of the entire family of saws, the cordless chainsaw is the smallest and lightest. Can be operated with one hand.
Cordless saws do not have a lot of power, and their operating time is limited by battery power. However, due to its compact size and weight it is very handy to work in confined spaces or at height, e.g. when pruning shrubs or trees.
Cordless chainsaws have also proven themselves in construction, making various grooves in wooden structures. Where high power is not required, but manoeuvrability and ease of operation are.
Tips for caring for your tool
Please note, the engine can overheat from overloading. The reason. no oil leaking for chain lubrication. Before and during operation check oil supply to the chain and oil level. It’s easy to check. place the cutter along a strip of newspaper or cardboard and start the saw. If the micro-spatter from the chain has left an oil ray on the paper, then the oil is coming in. Use recommended or mineral oil.
Before you start check all fastening screws and oil level in the tank. If you take the saw out of cold storage, it must sit in room temperature for at least 2 days to allow condensation from the windings to evaporate.
The sharp chain is believed to determine the performance of the saw. At first the saw goes into the wood effortlessly, then you start pushing on it. And you just need to sharpen it with a special tool, a file or a file. If you can’t sharpen, buy a new one, and give this one to the knife sharpener at your neighborhood kiosk.
Remember, a blunt chain is not only a strain on your hands, but also on the motor! Store the chain in oil if it is not used for long periods of time.
Choosing an electric chainsaw. video
WARNING. If you have a question, you can ask it in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев to the article below! Our experts will answer your question as soon as possible (1-2 days), sign up for Комментарии и мнения владельцев to be notified in time for an answer!
You can also ask a question on this page, then we will prepare a detailed answer (5-7 days), which will be here!