How to unscrew a torn off screw
For this we will take a few options.
How to remove stripped screws – 7 different ways
The roughest, but in most cases it helps. Just put pressure on the screwdriver, in the direction of the screw and twist with sufficient force, so the friction increases and therefore has a good chance, slowly but surely unscrew the screw with a broken off head.
Performing repair work, sometimes the question arises: how to unscrew a bolt or screw with torn edges. This problem has several solutions, knowing which you can untwist almost any hardware. Even in the case where you overdo it and break the head or break the stud, there are ways and tools that allow you to unscrew the fragments of fasteners.
A third method: With soldering iron and solder
If you don’t have a drill and bit handy, you can use a soldering iron and solder. The solder should not be soft, because otherwise the screwdriver will slip it off, and so will the screw.
- Apply flux on the stripped screw and fill it with solder.
- Without removing the soldering iron to keep the solder hot, stick the screwdriver in it and let the solder harden.
- The screwdriver will be replaced with a slot with a new pattern.
As a rule, the fasteners can be made in different versions, so the ways of removing them are slightly different.
Hexagonal socket head protruding bolts (sprocket)
- With a flathead screwdriver. For this you must make a notch on the flat bar in advance. The walls of the kerf must be vertical, so the tool does not slip off.
- A TORX socket with the right size. It should be chosen so that the slits do not go through the hexagonal hole, but also so that it is not too large. Such a sprocket cuts through the head of the bolt with a spline, when it fits snugly into the head. After that, the bolt should be unscrewed with a jerk to avoid breaking the slot in the sprocket. Do not use TORX sprocket models with center holes for such work, since they could break off while being driven.
- Use a drill, drill bit and special extractors. To extract it, drill a hole in the center and drive an appropriate extractor into it. After that using pliers you need to unscrew it together with the fasteners. It is not difficult to do, because the extractor threading is made opposite to the thread of the bolt.
- With a drill with reverse and a drill with left rotation, the diameter of which is less than the diameter of the damaged bolt. First of all, a small hole is made with an ordinary thin drill bit, then the drill bit is installed and the drill is turned on in the reverse rotation mode.
- using a file, by enlarging the slot to the next hex size (this method makes it possible to reuse the bolt);
- TORX sprockets of appropriate size;
- flat head screwdrivers if a notch has been prepared on the head of the fastener;
- by means of extractors that can be screwed into the hexagonal hole.
What tools do you need?
To extract the problematic bolt without damaging the threads of the items we need a metal drill, several screwdrivers with different size jaws, triangular file, good pliers or a gas key (in emergencies), a tap to create the opposite (relative to that in which the bolt is screwed) thread and of course files.
Note : a number of tools can actually be replaced. The most important among the listed equipment is a drill with drills and pliers. It is also recommended to have WD-40 on hand and apply it 15 minutes before unscrewing. This is to make the unscrewing process easier.
Method 4. notching
You can try to remove the screw or screwdriver in this simple way.
First cut a notch in the head of the screw with a burr and then unscrew it with a flat-blade screwdriver.
Demonstration of the method
In order to undo the hexagon socket or star screw, you can use the following methods: Make a clean, vertical, precise cut across the flat of the screw with a metallic saw or an angle grinder. After doing this, it can be unscrewed with a regular flathead screwdriver.
- Clamp the screw down in a vice.
- Mark the place of the notch with a marker.
- Carefully make a bar (if the rod is not too thick, it is quite possible then break it with pliers).
So how does this penetrating oil work??
If you really thought that the main ingredient for unscrewing screws is oil, we can say with certainty that you are mistaken. On the contrary, the most important task of the fluid is, its penetration into the thinnest gaps between the threads. Because of this, it has to be highly and extremely fluid. If such a fluid were of a rather thick consistency, it would not work. Take a look at the video to see how easily this liquid penetrates a screwed-in threaded joint:
This quality “liquid wrench” will gradually spill and penetrate the entire length of the bolt, spreading its components all over the corroded area. After that the main magic of cleaning begins.
And so, the first secret of a penetrating fluid is this. it must be quite fluid and with maximum penetration.
The reasons why it is not possible to unscrew a stuck nut (bolt)
There are several reasons why it can be difficult or impossible to disassemble this simple connection:
- Deformation of the thread or parts of the connection, for example, due to a strong impact;
- screwing not by thread with the application of significant force. in this case, there is a significant increase in friction between the surfaces of the parts (the effect can be exacerbated due to the influence of external factors);
- oxidation of the surfaces of the connection parts, the formation of a layer of rust on them;
- diffusion of materials between the parts of the connection.
The last two reasons are familiar to almost everyone, especially to motorists.
The problem is that studs, bolts and nuts are most often made of carbon steel. In prolonged contact with water and air oxygen (bolts on the wheel, for example, are constantly exposed to such effects), these substances penetrate into the smallest gaps, including between the parts of the threaded connection. As a result, the iron oxidizes, forming a layer of rust, which increases friction. It takes a lot of force to move parts out of place (often more than the strength of a bolt, and it breaks).
Designers try to prevent this nuisance by using parts with protective coatings or made of stainless steel for connections. But even this does not always work. If the bolt and nut are subjected to thermal stress (e.g. on a silencer), the protective coatings can be damaged and the corrosion process is accelerated.
There is also the process of diffusion (mutual penetration) of materials, the parts form a monolith, which becomes difficult to disassemble (this phenomenon is often encountered by those who try to unscrew the bolt on the crankshaft).
Ways to remove broken bolts with an extractor
There are three possible ways of breaking: flush, internal and external, when the upper part of the damaged part is higher. The area where the hole is to be drilled is not straight. It is difficult to work on it. The drill moves.
Even with an additional sleeve, this operation can be difficult. It is easiest when the bolt protrudes from the structure. It is necessary to grind with an angle grinder, file the surface. Tap the center of the hole and start working.
When you perform the operation, you need to drill accurately and hammer in the fixture for the alignment of the direction. This ensures the strength of the connection. Screws tend to orient themselves correctly. Start screwing the extractor in without any effort.
When the run is done, increase the load. After jamming, continue to unscrew the part. If it is difficult to rotate, you need to make a movement in the opposite direction and then continue retrieving again. Otherwise there’s a risk of breaking the tool.