STIHL petrol grass trimmer how to fill up your line for your trimmer. Changing the line for the trimmer in the trimmer (lawnmower)
- small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and spool in the lower part usually have side keys on both sides of the reel. When they are pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the spool with the internal contents for winding the line is disconnected, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on level, smooth ground so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wing nut: in such designs should be one hand to hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the boom nut, wing nut. After unscrewing the nut, the entire bobbin can be removed.
- electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. In order to immobilize the boom, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and slow rotation is used to achieve the mutual positioning so that the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is locked in place. After that the spool body is turned clockwise (for left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third case, spools, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. For reels with a winglet, the winglet is unscrewed, and for reels with cleats, the catch catch is pressed and one part of the reel is loosened from the other part. If the bobbin halves are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Reel with two operating tendrils
In this type of bobbin, you should determine the number of line winding grooves that lie on the inside of the spool:
HOW TO CHANGE TRIMMER FILES ON A TRIMMER HOW TO REWIND FILES ON A Grass Trimmer
For both cases, a 2-3 m trimmer line is used. In one-channel spools the line for the trimmer is pulled through a hole, its ends (tendrils) are put together and aligned, and then winded in the opposite direction of rotation of the reel on the bar. inside there is usually an arrow indicating the correct winding direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are pushed through them or held by fingers of free hand, pushed through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and attached to the rod of the trimmer product.
The difference of winding the line in a double-groove reel is that initially a piece of line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both fishing line tendrils are wound each on its groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the above variant with one groove.
The first performance of this procedure may seem to be long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel and wind it up correctly. this operation is nothing complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
Reel with one operating rod
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- Size of bobbin and length of original factory bobbin winding determine the recommended length of line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of line slides into the fixing technological hole inside the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inner side of the reel an arrow indicates in what direction the winding is carried out.
- Small part of line is left free for outputting it outside. it is fixed in special groove on the inside of bobbin designed for holding the bobbin winding when assembling it to working condition.
- The left end of line is pushed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The two halves of the bobbin are assembled and placed on the shaft of the trimmer.
READ How to Clean the Air Filter on an Echo Trimmer
First of all, to wind the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working arrangement of the motor and spool at the bottom usually have side keys on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the bobbin with the internal contents for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. Disassembling the bobbin should preferably be done on a flat, smooth place so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- Electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a reel with a special wingnut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the rod nut wingnut. After loosening the nut the entire spool is removed.
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight bar (such as STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilise the bobbin, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and slowly rotating it is adjusted so that the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is secured. After that the spool body is turned clockwise (with left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third case, the reels, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In spools with a wingnut, the wingnut is unscrewed; in spools with latches, the latch latches are pressed and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Remove and disassemble the spool
In order to properly wind the fishing line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool, it is necessary to become familiar with the structure of the trimmer head. It consists of a protective cover, a bobbin with thread, a housing cover, and a spring, which is only present in some devices.
When proceeding to disassemble the spool, it is necessary to completely turn off / disconnect the device. In this case, the way of carrying out the work directly depends on the type of head. The first option is to perform the following steps:
- The user presses the latches located on both sides of the cover.
- After removing the cover, the bobbin is removed. Some models may have a spring, which must also be removed.
- In the center of the housing is a screw, which should be unscrewed with an ordinary screwdriver.
- When the fasteners are removed, it remains to remove the reducer from the shaft, gently rocking the body of the product.
The second option for removing the reel to thread the fishing line into the grass trimmer is to screw the head onto the gearshaft. To carry out this procedure, many devices are equipped with a hole into which the tool can be inserted. Once the screwdriver is inserted, all the user has to do is to take hold of the body of the product and turn it clockwise. It is noteworthy that this method, in contrast to the previously described method, is characterized by simplicity of execution.
Performing line winding
Unhurriedly completed disassembly of the bobbin-spool without losing any of its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. reeling in the fishing line. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of operating tendrils determine the sequence of operations.
Reel with one operating clamp
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The size of the bobbin and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into a fixing technological hole located inside the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. usually an arrow on the inside of the reel shows in which direction the line is wound.
- A small part of the line is left free to be wound outside. it is locked in a groove on the inside of the bobbin designed to retain the winding when the bobbin is assembled in working order.
- The leftover end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the bobbin.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
Reel with two working clamps
In this type of bobbins you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the bobbin:
For both cases, a 2-3 m trimmer line is used. In single-cable spools the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, and then wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the bar. inside the arrow usually indicates the correct winding direction. In the presence of fixing grooves the ends of the line are put through them or held by fingers of free hand, put through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and attached to the rod of the trimmer product.
The difference of winding the line in a dual-channel reel is that initially a 2-5 m length of line is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both fishing line tendrils are wound each on its groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the variant with one groove considered above.
Performing this procedure for the first time may seem lengthy and quite time-consuming, but with time and experience this task will be much faster and easier.
The video below will visually show how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel and correctly wind it up. this operation is not anything complicated and with some patience will certainly succeed:
The nuances of replacing the fishing line in a trimmer
When choosing fishing line for the trimmer, it is necessary to start with the type of the engine. If the cord is too large cross-section, the resistance to rotation will increase, respectively, the motor will constantly overheat and will soon fail. Consider all the peculiarities of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel, the video instruction will help to perform all the work correctly.
Recommendations on how to change fishing line on trimmer with an electric motor
Before you charge the trimmer line into the electric grass trimmer, you need to choose the correct cross-section of the line:
- A cord with a diameter of 1.3 mm or 1.6 mm is good for a model with a motor power of less than 500 W;
- for power over 1 kW choose the consumable material with a cross-section of 2 mm.
To understand in more detail, how to wind the line for the trimmer on the reel of the electric grass trimmer, the following will help
Some tips on how to change the line for a trimmer on a gasoline trimmer
Many users specify how to properly wind the fishing line for the trimmer for grass trimmer, powered by gasoline. For such a model, you should pay attention to the shaft mower:
Advantages of a trimmer head
In addition to trimmer heads, metal discs are used on trimmers. Compared to them, cutting elements with a fishing line have a number of advantages:
- no need to sharpen consumables
- If stones or other hard objects hit, the line for the trimmer will simply rip, not injuring those around you and the mower
- thread breaks do not negatively affect gears and motors of trimmers.
- Machines with heads remove grass better than their metal counterparts.
Types of trimmer heads for reels
The main element of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. This is where the trimmer line (cord) is tucked in. The heads differ in the feeding and threading of the filament. There are three types of heads:
- Automatic. The line is fed after the user has lowered the engine speed. Automatic filament feed is very convenient when you need to perform a large amount of work. The disadvantage of such a head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. Using such a head does not require the user to perform any complicated manipulations. The principle of its work is arranged so that the line for the trimmer begins to extend automatically at a time when the grass trimmer operates at full speed. You just need to tap lightly on the ground with the head of the machine (this removes the blocking of the line), and the cord due to centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin. Then the line for the trimmer is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the guard.
- Manual. To extend the cord, it is necessary to stop the machine. After that, the line for the trimmer will need to be pulled by hand.
Types of trimmer reels
Tips and recommendations on how to wind a line for a trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to know not only for beginners, but also for the experienced craftsmen. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- The cover must be installed until it clicks into place. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of clips. If one latch does not click into place, the reel may pop out when the tool is started and injure a person
- Do not wind the line for the trimmer with a strong retraction, as well as in an amount greater than can be inserted in place. It is better not to wind the tooling than more of it, as this will lead to the negative consequences of not being able to unwind it if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two line leads, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle rim between the extreme bases of the spool
- After you have replaced the material, you should first check that the tool works properly and only then start mowing. If you don’t do a pre-check, the scaffolding can unravel and injure
This is interesting!Choose the correct type of cutting material so you won’t get hurt when working with chain saws, trimmers and brushcutters. During grass mowing small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances, so, despite the fact that the line for trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in protective special clothing. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or knives are available for this purpose.