Instructions for refueling a chainsaw
Knowing the ratios of the petrol-oil mixture, you can start filling it. The instructions for refueling are as follows:
- Prepare the mixture first. After connecting the two main components, it is necessary to mix them thoroughly
- Lay the tool on a clean and flat surface. Clean or blow out sawdust, dust and dirt before unscrewing the cap
- The top of the tank should be facing up
- Install a small watering can in the throat, and then pour fuel
- Control the filling process, because the tank is small and fills up quickly
- Do not fill to full capacity as this would cause fuel to spill out when the cap is closed
- After you have filled the tank with fuel, you should immediately refill the chain lubricant
- Consumption of fuel and chain lubricant is about the same, so fill both tanks at the same time
- After refueling you can start the engine
It is better not to start the engine at the place where you filled it up, but to move some 2-3 meters away. The tool is ready to go, and you can start it. To learn how to start the chain saw engine, take a look at this story (link).
What are the proportions to dilute the components for the mixture
The quality work of the chainsaw will depend on the correct filling of the chainsaw with a mixture of lubricants and fuel. To determine the proportions of the components and how to dilute the fuel, it is recommended to read the instruction manual. If you forgot how to dilute, or lost the instructions. you can turn to the Internet for help. It should be said that the proportion between oil and gasoline for a chainsaw must be observed exactly.
The most common ratio of gasoline to oil is the ratio of 1:50.
That is, one liter of gasoline is diluted with twenty milligrams of lubricant. This ratio is quite suitable for tools, the power of which is more or one and a half kilowatts per hour.
For those chain saws whose power is less than one and a half kilowatts per hour, it is recommended to mix gasoline with oil in the ratio of 1:25. That is, one liter of gasoline is diluted with twenty-five milligrams of engine oil.
Chainsaw “bog” what to look for and how to fix
It must be remembered that the presence of a large amount of oil in the gasoline will lead to rapid deterioration of parts. Above the level, there is an increase in stress on the cylinder and piston. Faster soot formation.
It is recommended to dilute the gasoline in a separate container. Do not fill up the fuel tank first. And vice versa. It is necessary to add oil to the canister with special tools designed for this purpose. In the stores you can find oil dispensers, syringes and dispensers for lube oil. As a last resort, you can use a watering can made of a plastic bottle.
In addition to the manual, you need to know what oil to add for the chainsaw. Since there are many varieties, it is difficult for the average chainsaw owner to choose the best one among those suggested. Let’s take a look at some of them.
For example, STIHL makes special lubricants in addition to high-quality saws, which are used in these machines. Special oils are produced by companies such as:
The above three companies are also manufacturers of chainsaws and special lubricants for them. The next step in the proper maintenance of the tool will be the algorithm for priming the saw.
New chainsaw running-in or the importance of it
During the lapping of the parts is the formation of working gaps between the cylinder and piston rings. Even at the running-in phase there is an increase in compression in the cylinder, which positively affects the work of the ICE, and the power of the tool. The procedure allows to increase the service life of the two-stroke engine, and if you do not pay attention to this process, the engine can jam during the first use of the chainsaw.
In addition to reducing the service life of ICE parts in the absence of running-in, the engine will run much worse, and instead of the manufacturer’s declared number of horsepower, the tool will give out 2 times less. Every new chain saw needs a running-in procedure, regardless of who is the manufacturer. It’s also necessary to run in chainsaws, in which the overhaul of the engine was made, but we’ll talk about it separately. It’s not just the engine on a new chain saw that needs lapping. the chain and bar also need lapping.
Many newcomers wonder whether it is necessary to run-in a chainsaw. And sometimes the simple answer is not enough for a person to understand how important it is to run-in the tool. To understand the importance of running-in, you need to know what happens when starting the engine:
- After the chainsaw engine is started, a fuel-air mixture burns in the cylinder, causing the cylinder, piston, and other structural parts to heat up.
- As it heats up, the parts expand, increasing the friction coefficient.
- The greater the friction coefficient, the greater the heating of parts. If critical temperatures are reached, a piston melting effect will be observed, which will immediately lead to jamming of the internal combustion engine.
- To exclude such a process, it is necessary to run in the chainsaw. It is a procedure when the tool motor is running without load or with short-term medium loads.
Among the owners of the tool there are different opinions on how to properly run-in the chainsaw. Some masters recommend the procedure to be carried out exclusively by running the engine at idling speed, while others, on the contrary, believe that the tool should be given to work not only at idling speed, but also under moderate load. Having solved the question of whether it is necessary to run-in the tool, let’s move on to finding out the features of the correct performance of the procedure.
They are specified as ratios. 1:50, 1:40, 1:25 and so on. Any of these proportions tells you how much oil to put per volume of fuel. For example, to prepare a mixture in proportion 1:25 you will need 1 liter of oil for 25 liters of petrol.
BioPlus is the optimal choice for chain lubrication and is the oil of choice for occasional chainsaw users. BioPlus’s outstanding price and quality make it the most popular chain oil in the STIHL product range.
Filling a STIHL chainsaw with fuel and chain oil
Why chainsaws need to be filled with a mixture of petrol and oil
Why it is contraindicated to pour petrol without oil into the machine’s tank and what will happen if you make a mistake? The reason for the need to dilute gasoline with oil is hidden in the fact that two-stroke motors do not have an oil chamber, as on four-stroke devices. The absence of this chamber results in the rotating and rubbing metal parts of the engine not being lubricated, so the following drawbacks are observed:
- Increases friction and therefore wear parts more quickly.
- the temperature rises due to the friction force, which also negatively affects the service life of the engine.
- The load increases, so there is a significant loss of power and performance.
Oil is added to the gasoline of the gasoline saw unit to prevent the development of the above processes. If you pour pure gasoline into the tank of the machine, and start the engine, then already in a short period of time it will simply overheat and jam. That’s why it’s important to not only figure out how to start and operate your chainsaw when buying the tool, but also to figure out the gasoline/oil mix ratios.
How to start the STIHL 180 chain saw correctly?
If you are unsure how to start the STIHL Mini-Saw 180 from cold, it is worth following the manufacturer’s recommendations and specifications by following an algorithm:
STIHL MS 170 chainsaw: Filling up the chain oil for the saw chain and fuel mixture
- Turn on the ignition (how to set the ignition on the STIHL 180 chainsaw, see the instrument’s data sheet).
- Set the control lever at its lowest point (the carburetor choke will thus shut off the air from the filter, the throttle will be fully open and the fuel mixture will be enriched).
- Pull the starter handle, this should be done several times before the first burst passes. This will signal that the mixture has flowed directly into the cylinder and your machine is ready to start.
- Now you can move the lever one section up, the throttle will remain in the same position, and the air damper will open.
- All you have to do is pull the starter. In this case, the STIHL MS 180 chainsaw will operate at higher revolutions.
Why do you need to mix oil and gasoline
Gasoline must always be mixed with oil when you use your saw. The reason for this is the design features of the two-stroke engine. It has no dedicated parts lubrication system (as in other internal combustion engines) and therefore its cylinders with o-rings, crankshaft, bearings and connecting rods must be lubricated directly while getting fuel.
The rules of preparation of the mixture
Even experienced loggers don’t always mix the right fuel mix for a chainsaw if the work is done in a hurry. The algorithm of action is as follows:
- prepare a plastic container with a capacity of 2.5 liters or less;
- A measuring jug should be present. many people use a regular medicine syringe;
- First you fill the container with fuel and then with a precisely measured quantity of oil;
- The final task is to thoroughly dissolve the oily product by actively shaking the consistency.
When making a mixture of gasoline and oil, you must adhere to the prohibition action. you must not try to mix it in the gasoline tank of the tool.
Store the fuel oil in the tank for up to 14 days after filling. If more, the oil will settle to the bottom of the container. A new shaking of the consistency is needed. This is something that busybodies often forget.
Often the best known manufacturers (STIHL, Husquarna, etc. д.) indicate the required quantity of components in the instruction manual or in the chainsaw’s passport. The most popular ratios are 1:40 or 1:50, which means that you need 40 (50) parts of gasoline for 1 part of oil.
The quality of fuel and oil is also important. Manufacturer recommends that STIHL MS 180 chain saws should be operated with gasoline with an octane rating of at least 90. STIHL 2-stroke engine oil is the correct lubricant.