Why the chain slips?
Many, even the most experienced chainsaw users, have experienced situations in their lives where the chain has jumped off the guide bar while working. The most common cause is insufficient tensioning or wear of the chain.
In 80% of the cases the stretched chain links slip off the teeth of the drive sprocket and the chain flies off the guide bar due to the centrifugal force. Sometimes the problem is caused by a chainwheel that is not in alignment with the axis of rotation or by a chainwheel that is not securely seated on the chain saw.
Generally, there are 3 major causes for chain stretching: low quality metal, excessive tensioning of the chain, use of low quality oil. Also recommended to read about chain oil for chainsaws, STIHL and Husqvarna oils.
Chapter 5: Adjusting Your Chainsaw’s Chain Tension
How to do it
Stage of chainsaw preparation
Before you begin tensioning the chain, there are some simple rules to follow. First-tensioning should be done with the engine off and protected from accidental starting. Second: Work on the chain when it has cooled down because a hot chain is longer than a cold chain. Don’t start tightening the chain in the cold. Remember safety, use protective gloves.
How to check chain tension
If the chain-set has little wear, there is no point in changing the chain. It is enough to tighten it. A clear sign of insufficient tensioning is slack in the lower part of the chain, and the upper part can shift to the side. In this case insufficient chain tension increases wear of blade and sprocket. It’s not enough to simply tighten the chain, it’s important not to overtighten it.
The stroke of the blade should be light, so as not to increase the load on the engine and other chainsaw parts. It is necessary to twist the chain by hand, to loosen it if necessary.Most of the time you have to adjust a new chain.к. the chain is more likely to be stretched.
How to install a new chainsaw chain on the bar
To change the blade, the bar has to be loosened and the worn chain removed. Loosen the chain cover that holds the chainring, then remove the chain and chain sprocket. The size of the chain must be the same. The new chain is put on the bar in the longitudinal groove with the driving links and the free end is attached to the sprocket. Make sure all chain links fit into the groove. Then you need to install the bar to the place of attachment and fix it. It can be screws or adjusters. It is recommended that the bottom and top of the tire be swapped for equal wear.Look at the inscription on the bar.
Before you tighten the chain, check the manual for your chain saw. To tension the chain, you need the standard wrench that comes with the chain. Use this spanner to loosen the nuts on the cover and on the other hand use a slotted screwdriver to put it in the tensioning slot. The chain should be tightened gradually by hand. After the adjustment we need to tighten the nuts on the cover.
Chain tensioning a chain saw without special tools
Otherwise.keyless tensioning. quicker and easier method. There is a tensioning screw for tightening the chain on the cover. Turn it to adjust the tension.
How to tension the chain on a chainsaw: Find out how to tension it correctly
The chainsaw, like any other tool, needs some special care. In particular, an element of the chainsaw that needs care is the chain or cutter. The chain not only needs to be sharpened, but also tensioned properly. Every tool owner should know how to tension the chain on a chainsaw.
Why the chain is jammed on the chain saw
Correcting the chain tensioning takes only a few minutes without experience, but with experience it takes less than a minute. Watching for proper tensioning is uncomplicated, but not watching is more costly.
How to tension a chain on a chainsaw
The first thing that the newly minted owner of chain saw after the study of safety technology work with a massive tool. its adjustment. The next thing to do after reading the annotation is to test the operation, and if the saw does not work correctly, the possible cause is improper chain tensioning. So immediately there is a question. how to tension the chain on a chainsaw?
Usually manufacturers indicate in the annotation to the chainsaw how to do it, but if for some reason it is lost, or the device was obtained without it, for example, by inheritance, the text below will help to find the right answer.
How To Adjust Your STIHL Saw Chain
How to attach the chain to a chainsaw?
Install and tension the chain by unscrewing the main screw and putting the links on the drive sprocket and the saw bar. It’s important to make sure you get the tails in the groove so they don’t come off again.
Read also: Program for optimizing log nesting
Before you tighten the chain on your Husqvarna chain saw, you should first inspect the chain and if necessary replace it with a new one. After removing this part, you need to carefully inspect the guide groove where the links go. It is there that dirt accumulates, absorbing oil and preventing the cutting part from tensioning. Clean this area with a thin metal object. If you do not do this, the oil may not get to the bottom of the bar, and once the chain is installed the links will not glide as well, which affects the cutting performance.
The chain has been stretched
The chain can stretch too much if it is used incorrectly or for too long. This is due to the fact that the metal can deform over time. Too much wear and tear becomes a reason to buy a new version, but it is possible to use the old one for a short period of time. Avoiding fast stretching is only possible by following the operating recommendations. The job requires:
Put on the stretched version is not difficult, but there are quite a few problems with the restoration, since the metal is characterized by high strength. In this case the main parts are riveted. The work is carried out as follows:
- The product is fixed in the cramps.
- If the work is done with an angle grinder, there is a chance that the surface will be damaged, because this tool is hard to control.
- After shredding, the rivets are knocked out. No need to throw it away because it can be reused.
- Chain manufacturers do not produce replacement elements, which are required during maintenance.
- It is possible to make a rivet with your own hands, but the work is quite complicated.
- The product is divided into two parts. Keep in mind that the number and spacing of the guides must remain the same.
When dealing with long lengths, do not forget that a chain that is too short can no longer be tensioned. In addition, it is not recommended to apply oil to the chain of the electric saw.
The direction of the chain and which side to put it on?
The chainsaw chain, if you look closely, has the saw teeth pointing in one direction. Therefore, the correct direction of the saw teeth on the guide bar is very easy to determine:
If you place the chainsaw itself in the plane it is in during work, the row of teeth located on top of the guide bar, the sharp edges should be directed towards the end of the bar. While, the row of teeth that is at the bottom of the chainsaw, the sharp edges should face in the opposite direction, toward the drive sprocket.
You can’t put the chain with its teeth facing inward against the grooves in the guide bar, it just won’t stay on the bar. That is why the chain on the guide bar must be mounted so that the guide lugs of the saw blade links are facing inside the guide bar.
How to Tension a Chainsaw Chain Correctly
How to Check Chain Tension of a Chainsaw
To check if the chain is tensioned properly and needs tightening, look for these indicators
- if it is tensioned correctly, the cutting quality is good, the bar sinks quickly into the material, cuts easily and without binding in the wood;
- the guide bar does not get hot when you use it;
- Fine and coarse chips are being produced while sawing.
The chain needs to be tightened if:
- the guide bar gets very hot;
- cutting quality is reduced, cutting edge is uneven;
- higher fuel and oil consumption;
- only small chips are being produced.
Chain saw function and design
In order to understand the peculiarities of the procedure in question, it is necessary to consider in detail the devices of the chainsaw. Among the features we can mention the following points:
- The main part is represented by the engine. In most cases, a single-cylinder design is installed, since it is sufficient for cutting.
- The piston system is two-stroke and the cooling is air cooled. Relatively little thermal energy is emitted during operation, so blowing air is also sufficient for heat dissipation.
- As in many other designs, this one requires oil to keep the moving element running smoothly. The oil is added directly to the fuel. Depending on the design, oil and fuel are mixed in the range of 1:20 or 1:50.
- The air filter is also an important constructional element. The fuel is mixed with the air to obtain a certain mixture that is fed into the combustion chamber. If the filter element is not constantly cleaned, there is a chance that debris will get into the cylinder block. This will cause rapid wear or even jamming of the device.
- A special design is available as a starter, which is operated by a rope with a handle. If the rope is pulled hard, the flywheel is set in motion.
- The main operating mechanism is represented by a bar with a clasp. It is designed to guide the chain and fix it.
- The classic chain has three teeth: driving, cutting, connecting. The cutting edge is fastened with rivets.
A fairly common situation is when you have to pull the handle for a long time. It is connected with the fact that the carburetor does not mix the fuel with the air correctly. In most cases, it is enough to adjust the device according to the characteristics of the operation. The chainsaw will not last long if it is not properly maintained.