How to discharge an electric screwdriver battery
The electric screwdriver battery uses cylindrical cells of nickel-cadmium, lithium-ion batteries. They differ in maintenance. A new nickel cadmium cell battery needs to be run down. To discharge the battery you have to use a 12-volt light bulb, which serves as a load. The battery is discharged when the incandescent light goes out.
Lithium-ion batteries do not need to be discharged. Calibration may be required for the controller to work correctly. In that case you need to use a smart device with a discharge function.
How to charge and store an electric screwdriver battery
An electric screwdriver is one of the most in-demand home and professional power tools. It allows not only screwing and unscrewing various types of fasteners, but also drilling holes. According to the method of power devices are divided into mains and rechargeable. The battery-powered models are virtually equal in performance to the 220 V plug-in power tools. And they can be used for off-line operations. It is also convenient that the power cord does not restrict movement. But you should properly charge and store your electric screwdriver battery to make sure it lasts long. Many problems with the battery pack can be eliminated on their own, using a multimeter to identify the cause of the malfunction.
How to properly store the battery from an electric screwdriver review of popular mistakes
Two types of battery chargers are used to restore the capacity of a nickel cadmium type battery:
Automatic module is equipped with properly sized battery sockets. Such devices are designed for 2 or 4 cells, the unit design includes a switch that allows you to select the number of items to be charged.
Charging of the accumulators starts after connecting the unit to the 230 V domestic mains. Inside the module there is a step-down transformer with a rectifier stage, a line of LEDs or a multicolor indicator is used to display the charging status.
A yellow diode is used to indicate the discharge mode; when the capacity drops, the charger automatically switches to battery charging mode. In the process of charging the temperature of the battery case rises, the block has a sensor which cuts off the current supply when the threshold value is reached.
Reversible charging block belongs to the category of professional products, it is distinguished by the microprocessor controller. The equipment supplies continuous. which alternate with a short-discharge (cycle time varies in accordance with the algorithm set).
The equipment keeps the power supply in good working order and extends the life of Ni-Cd batteries.
Replacing the battery of an electric screwdriver. Black Decker
Storage of nickel-metal hydride batteries from screwdrivers
Preservation of this type of battery is recommended at a temperature of at least plus ten degrees Celsius. Despite their considerable capacity and excellent performance, it is recommended that this requirement for battery storage be observed.
In order to maximize the storage effect of a rechargeable battery, it is necessary to fully charge the product of this type of power from time to time (for example, once every six months). It should also be noted that, unlike lithium-ion batteries, Ni-MH rechargeable batteries require one hundred percent charging during their storage period.
Battery design of an electric screwdriver
The battery is the power source for cordless screwdriver models. Through the course of physical and chemical processes (electrolysis), this element stores electricity, and then outputs at their respective outputs a constant voltage of the desired value. Voltage and capacity are the main parameters of any storage device. The first shows the potential difference between the cathode and anode of the battery. Voltage is measured in volts. Capacitance determines the amount of current a battery produces in 1 hour, so this parameter is measured in ampere-hours.
The battery pack (BAT) looks and feels the same in different models. It consists of the following structural elements:
- The housing with the contacts located on it;
- of the batteries;
- Temperature sensor circuit (thermistor), which performs the function of protecting the block from overheating (the range is from 50 to 600 degrees).
Not all models are equipped with thermistors. The case is usually a plastic box consisting of two parts. It has about 10 batteries mostly placed inside, and sometimes there are more. In this process, the elements are connected to each other in a chain. The free terminals of the end-cells are connected to the terminals located on the body for supplying the electric motor of the tool and connecting it to the charging equipment. Battery output voltage is determined by adding the given parameters of all the batteries connected in a single chain.
- two power (.) for charging and discharging;
- one control top connected to a thermistor;
- One contact for charging from special charging stations, capable of equalizing the charge of all the batteries present in the unit.
According to the type of batteries, rechargeable batteries are divided into the following types:
- Nickel-metal hydride (referred to as NiMh) with an output voltage of 1.2 V;
- Nickel-cadmium batteries (labeled NiCd) also output 1.2 V;
- Lithium-ion batteries (designated with the symbol Li-Ion) whose voltage depends on the number of cells in the battery and may be in the range of 1.2-3.6 V.
Lithium-ion batteries have a control board. In this case, a special controller monitors the operation of the cells.
An individual battery consists of the following design elements:
- positive and negative contacts;
- electrode with a positive charge;
- The lithium-ion batteries have a control board for the electrolyte; Sometimes they reset in storage;
- negative electrode.
Nickel-cadmium energy storage batteries are the most common because of their affordable price, compact size, and high capacity value. They can be recharged more than 1,000 times.
How to charge the batteries to extend their life
To charge the battery properly, pay attention to the following:
- It is best to charge the battery the first time you use the tool. It happens that they reset during storage.
- In nickel cadmium batteries, the maximum capacity appears after the third charge-discharge cycle. Then the accumulator is charged when the minimum power is reached.
- lithium batteries are charged on demand, regardless of their state of charge, because they lack the “memory effect.
READ How to Disassemble an Electric Screwdriver Gearbox
Cordless Screwdriver or Cordless Drill?
How to store lithium ion batteries from an electric screwdriver
Hello. I recently purchased an electric screwdriver with a nickel-cadnium battery, and the seller at the store said that after work, you need to discharge the battery as much as possible, so it does not rotate.There are different sources on the web. some say deep discharge is dangerous, others say you need to leave a little bit of charge.So what’s the right thing to do??
This type of batteries in the process of work should be constantly discharged to the end! only after a deep discharge do you put them on charge! They have a “memory effect”! They are stored in a charged state! Once a month you need to conduct a discharge-discharge cycle! store only in a warm, dry room! These batteries have a lifespan of 2-3 years! If you use it properly, it will last up to 5 years! What is the firm of an electric screwdriver?
It often happens that after buying a power tool for work at home, we stop using it after doing what we have planned. But when you pick it up again, you find that it no longer works. If you do not use an electric screwdriver for a long time, as well as any other power tool, its battery is discharged.
A new battery costs a lot of money, and it will arrive by mail, if you order through an online store, not in one day. And, as a rule, a working tool is needed now.
The knowledge of the basic rules of storage of batteries for an electric screwdriver will help to avoid such problems.
How to store the battery
Any craftsman who is careful with power tools is worried about how to properly store the battery from an electric screwdriver. Observance of maintenance rules applies to all types of batteries.
1997 NiCd Cordless Screwdriver Teardown (It still works after 20 years!)
- If it is decided to store the electric screwdriver, it should be discharged and charged several times before storing it.
- A battery should be stored at an ambient temperature of 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid freezing the device.
- It is recommended that you recharge the battery every six months. This procedure prolongs the life of the battery.
- It is advisable to disconnect the power supply from the electric screwdriver and remove all contaminants from its surface. Remove oxide from the terminals with a special cleanser or an alcohol-based liquid.
- Nickel-cadmium batteries should be slightly discharged. This is done due to their rapid self-discharge.
- Direct sunlight and moisture should be avoided. High temperatures can melt the plastic housing, rendering it inoperable and causing loss of effectiveness. Getting water inside will also spoil the condition of the internal elements of the battery.
Improper storage of rechargeable batteries over time affects directly the operation and properties of the electric screwdriver itself. In particular, the capacity of the tool is noticeably reduced.
Specialists recommend in such cases that such batteries should be run up. To find out what is the reason for the decline in performance, the battery is disassembled, the problem areas are calculated. Then the cells are charged again. First a high current is chosen for charging, then, after another discharge, a low current.
In the case of preservation of the electrolyte in the batteries (it may evaporate) such a procedure will help reanimate the battery.
How to determine which battery you have
It is not difficult to determine whether the battery belongs to a particular technology. If the battery is identified by a letter, it is possible to accurately determine the type of power source. If there are no gauges, but the battery is very light, it is likely that the product is made with lithium technology.
If the battery has a significant weight and in its operation the presence of memory effect is clearly noticeable, then we can assume that the element belongs to the group of nickel-cadmium products.
Nickel-metal hydride batteries are devoid of such disadvantages and do not contain heavy metals hazardous to the environment, so this battery will have a medium weight and a long service life.