Chain Saw Operation
A handle that controls the throttle, or simply the throttle button, is located at the back of the handle. In order to avoid accidental start of the engine, pressing the gas button, you need to depress the lever. throttle lock, located on top of the handle. There is a chain catcher at the bottom of the saw that catches the chain in case of a chain break and protects the operator from serious injury.
With the stop button, also called ignition, you can quickly turn off the engine, it is in a convenient location. The chain brake handle can be activated in two different ways. Way number one is manual, you just have to push the brake lever forward, the second way is inertial, in case of a kickback when you bounce back. Make sure the chain is tensioned properly. it’s not too tight, but it doesn’t hang off the bar. When the chain is put on again, it needs to be tightened after a short period of use.
When starting the chain saw motor, place it on a level surface and make sure the area under the guide bar is free of debris. With the chain brake in the ON position, move the crank of the inertia brake forward, release the “smart start” button if this function is present. When starting an unheated, cold engine, always close the choke completely by pulling the regulator toward you.
Right foot toes the bottom of the rear handle. Holding the upper handle with your left hand, with a sharp but moderately strong movement pull the starter rope by the handle, and continue until the engine shows the first signs of starting. The choke should now be fully opened by sliding the choke shutter. Continue pulling the starter cord. Two or three pulls are enough to start the saw. Press the gas pedal button once, after which the engine should stop idling.
You do not need to use the choke to start a running, warmed-up engine. All other starting points are exactly the same. If you have trouble starting the machine, even with a hot engine, pull the regulator all the way out just as you would when starting a cold engine and then push it back in again immediately.
Once you’ve started the chainsaw, don’t remove the chain from the handbrake until you start
It will be important to check the chain for grease. You will need to use some kind of light surface, be it a tree stump, paper, or a light colored rag
Increase chain speed a little, a track of engine oil will form, which will indicate sufficient oil level in the tank of the saw.
Always hold the chain saw firmly with both hands and make sure all your fingers are completely engaged with both handles. To minimize the force of the kickback. rebound, the left hand should fully embrace the front handle, the thumb is strictly at the bottom. You should never be afraid of the saw, the closer you hold it to your body, the less you will feel the real weight of the saw. Better balance and control of the tool will be maintained.
When moving from one job to another, make sure the chain is in the stationary position. Always activate the chain brake to do this, or better yet, stop the engine. Wear a bar guard to protect yourself from accidental injury and to help protect the chain itself when traveling even farther. After finishing work it is advisable to empty the gasoline mixture and store the chain saw with a dry tank
It is important to remember that the gasoline mixture is prepared for 7 to 10 days of maximum use. The mixture has a shelf life and loses its properties after 7. 10 days
Chainsaws vary slightly in design features, but in most cases, the principle of assembly follows two standard schemes. Many machines have a manual that says you must activate the emergency brake before beginning the start-up procedure.
It is necessary to first master the device of the plant and learn the basic ways of fixing the failures, then the person will be able to fully operate the device.
Getting the STIHL MS 180 C started
Compared to its predecessor, this model has a slightly different starting mechanism, but it does not bring any changes to the starting algorithm. The STIHL 180 C has an ErgoStart system which reduces the engine starting resistance with an additional starter spring.
Fuel for STIHL chain saws
STIHL power tools only run on a mix of petrol and oil. We recommend the use of fuel with an octane rating above 90 and without additives. Otherwise there is a risk of clutch and gearbox malfunctions.
To thin the fuel in your STIHL chain saw, it is best to use STIHL oil. Dilute fuel and lubricant in the ratio 50:1. If you don’t follow these recommendations, the tool can perform much worse. Oil may remain on the cylinder walls, blocking the spark.
STIHL chain saws come with a number of standard and optional features. They improve the operation of the unit and make it safer.
- Quick-Stop. brake for stopping the saw chain instantly. This is the mechanism that prevents the gasoline-powered saw from starting. It is triggered by pressing the front-mounted hand stop. This stops the chain in fractions of a second. The chain brake engages automatically if a strong kickback occurs.
How To Start A STIHL Chain Saw
- Anti-vibration system. Heavy vibrations from the engine are transmitted to the chain saw handles. This can provoke certain illnesses in the user. For example, impaired circulation in the hands. STIHL has developed and installed an effective anti-vibration system on the chain saw. On machines with this feature, there is practically no transmission of engine vibration to the handles.
- STIHL compensator. This is the regulating mechanism of the carburetor. It maintains a constant engine power, economical fuel consumption, the quality of the exhaust when the saw is running. And that’s because the air filter is increasingly contaminated.
Filter only needs to be cleaned when there is a critical drop in engine output. In other words, a STIHL chain saw can go a long time without maintenance.
- One-lever control of the machine. Switching the chain saw on and off, hot and cold starts are all with the same single lever. It makes the machine safer and easier to operate with the right hand on the handlebar.
- STIHL Ematic. saw chain lubrication system. It combines a variable-flow oil pump, Ematic guide bar and Oilomatic saw chain.
The special chain and bar arrangement causes the chain and bar to drip lubricant precisely where it is needed. This cuts oil consumption in half.
PAL AUTO SALES : HOW TO START A CHAINSAW (IN HINDI)|STIHL MS 382|चैनसाव आरा मशीन कैसे स्टार्ट करें
- Rapid chain tensioning system (B). It simplifies and speeds up the corresponding work operation. You only have to loosen the fastening nut on the chain sprocket cover. Then the chain is quickly and easily retightened using the adjusting wheel. No tool is needed for this operation.
- Side chain tensioning device (C). It provides side access to the tensioning screws via the chain sprocket cover. It prevents your hands from coming in contact with the sharp sprocket tips and chain edges.
- Elasto-Start(E). When the two-stroke motor is started, a jolt occurs as a result of the compressive pressure. It puts strain on the user’s joints and muscles. The Elasto-Start device stops this detrimental effect when starting the engine. A compensating element in the handle of the device takes over and transmits the progressive energy to the compressive process in turn. So the motor engagement is smooth and jolt-free. Chainsaws with this option are called STIHL MS-180/CBE.
Accessories in the kit
You can also buy these accessories with your STIHL chainsaw.
- Universal tool. This is a screwdriver and wrench set in a plastic case. The tool comes complete with belt loop and nylon pouch. It includes:
- Torx TX-27 screwdriver.
- 3.5 mm slotted screwdriver for cleaning grooves and adjusting carburettor.
- Spud screwdrivers 16-19 (for 0000-890-3400 combination wrench) and 13-19 (for 1129-890-3401 combination wrench).
- Fuel filling system. For fast filling of STIHL chain saws. This is done without overfilling from combination and gasoline canisters with a maximum capacity of up to 5 liters. The system can be used on fuel tanks with holes larger than 23.5 mm.
- Two-in-one laser designator. It consists of for cross-cutting the wood and a sight indicating the direction of fall. The device is used to cut wood into short pieces according to a predetermined size. This does not require time-consuming calculations and measurements. Drop direction sight monitors the quality of the cuts.
- Holder for chain saw. Used for convenient tool storage.
How to start the saw after a long period of inactivity
I can’t get my chainsaw started after a long period of inactivity. Such Комментарии и мнения владельцев can be found on forums dedicated to the repair and operation of the pollen. Let’s figure out how to start the chainsaw after a long period of downtime.
The point is that you should take care of the successful start after idle time and properly prepare the saw for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, drain fuel from the tank before storing, then start the engine and burn fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary to prevent the carburetor diaphragms from sticking together during storage. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after a long period of storage.
After six months of non-use it’s a lot easier to start the chain saw if you pour 1-2 ml of fuel mixture into the cylinder just before starting it through the spark plug hole. You can do it with a syringe.
Start your chain saw following the manual
Different chainsaws have different starting mechanisms. Let’s review two most popular mechanisms that are used today to start the chain saw. Let’s take the STIHL MS 180 and the Echo CS-352ES chain saws as an example. If you have a different make of chain saw, just try it by analogy, because you probably have the same or a similar machine.
Before we begin with the starting procedure, we would like to note that in some chain saws it is written in the instruction that before starting the saw it is necessary to engage the emergency brake. They say it’s safer. However, it is more difficult to start the chainsaw when the brake is fixed, so it is better to unlock it. If you do everything according to reason, then the chainsaw will not do anything to you during the start. But if you’re afraid that a chain saw without a brake lock can hurt you when you try to start it, then you’d be better off not using it at all.
Now let’s look at the second mechanism that makes it possible to start the chainsaw.
How it works
Before you detect faults or need to repair your STIHL 180 chain saw, it is a good idea to understand how it works and which components it is made up of. The chainsaw necessarily includes its main element. a two-stroke engine. It is the one that is responsible for the reliability and performance of the device. The engine is involved in starting the chain drive and maintaining its movement under the action of the centrifugal clutch. In addition to the electric motor, the chain saw includes:
- starter motor;
- The flywheel, also known as the cooling unit;
- ignition unit;
- the clutch and brake mechanism;
- STIHL carburetor with compensator;
- air filter;
- fuel and oil tank;
- anti-vibration system.
Fuel from the tank goes to the carburetor, where it is mixed with air from the cleaning unit. The air-fuel mixture from the carburetor enters the engine. The carburetor on the saw has a single set screw that controls idle speed. All settings in the device are made in the factory and ensure an optimal fuel-air mixture.
Single-cylinder engine is used in the chainsaw. A clutch is used as a safety mechanism that enables the motor to idle in the event of jamming. At the initial speeds, special pads, located in the radial direction, are pressed by springs to the middle of the shaft, thus preventing it from rotating. At high speed, the centrifugal force increases and the springs are compressed. The pads are pushed away from the center of the shaft, the sprocket rotates and the chain starts.
The electrical circuitry of the device is involved in the ignition system. Using the flywheel with magnets produces an electromotive force (EMF) as it rotates, which in turn generates a current in the electronics unit. The unit sends a signal to the spark plug, triggering a spark on its leads. This spark ignites the mixture coming from the carburetor. After a successful start-up, the chain saw begins to cycle through all the work processes.
The circuit of the device is made up of prongs and connectors. The device is equipped with a brake system to protect the user against kickback. The oil supply is automatically activated by a pump.
Step-by-step instructions on how to start a chainsaw in summer or winter
Not all first-time users know how to start a chainsaw when they pick it up for the first time. Especially in special situations, e.g. in winter. In addition, even the best quality tool must be handled properly to avoid breakage or accidents. Despite the wide range of different models, they all start in about the same way.
STIHL chainsaw STIHL MS one hundred and eighty model components
The construction of the STIHL chainsaw MS one hundred and eighty is rather difficult to call simple, this is due to the peculiarities of this model. The STIHL one hundred and eighty consists of the following components:
The manufacturer has taken into account the chainsaw’s tendency to operate regularly at low temperatures, which has resulted in its own system for a smoother, quicker engine start.
Why the spark plug fills up on the STIHL 180 chain saw?
This fault is caused by a problem with the carburettor. To repair, you will need to remove this element, and check its membrane. In working condition, the part must not only be unharmed, but also elastic. If the membrane hardens you need to replace it.
Before assembling the STIHL MS 180 carburetor it should be cleaned of dust and carbon deposits. Use compressed air in a can. After the assembly is completely dry, it can be reassembled and installed back on the chainsaw.
Faults and repairs
STIHL One Hundred Eighty chain saw malfunctions and troubleshooting. Another problem that worries tool owners.
Why the chainsaw “style” one hundred and eighty won’t start:
- There is a fuel mixture;
- No contact on the spark plug;
- high voltage wire breakage;
- fuel pump is NOT pumping;
- the fuel lines of the mowing line are clogged;
- problems with spark plugs;
- ignition does not adjust;
- the spark plug is flooded.
Why the chainsaw “style” one hundred and eighty does not develop the necessary number of revolutions:
STIHL chainsaw “style” one hundred and eighty stalls at idle:
We suggest you see how to adjust the carburetor of a chainsaw “style” Make MS 180:
Some tool owners use the STIHL MC One Hundred Eighty chainsaw along with a grinder mount to build a home saw and cut.
Angle grinder for chainsaw “style” MS-180 is shown:
But even without this fastener, some craftsmen have found a way to make cuts with an ordinary bar and duster chain. We suggest looking at a home scrap saw:
- chain condition, sharpening
- chain tensioning;
- tightening fasteners;
- Filling the tanks with fuel and oil;
- chain lubrication;
- downtime and t.д.
After the sawing work is done the following:
- Cleaning the chainsaw;
- chain tensioner (needed) is removed
- sharpening the chain (if necessary);
- the state of the bar, its wear;
- filter maintenance (if necessary).
Only found owners are often lost and looking for materials on how to properly disassemble (reassemble) a chainsaw “style” 180. We suggest you look at how to disassemble and reassemble a chainsaw STIHL
No oil supply to chainsaw chain
If you notice this malfunction, the first thing to do is. is to adjust the oil flow. Setting the oil flow to the chain is done as follows: