How to hold the chain saw
In order to carry out a proper chain saw start, an important point is how the saw is positioned at this moment, or rather how it is held by the operator. There are two ways to hold the saw correctly when starting it.
First option: the saw is placed on a flat surface, the operator’s left hand is straight and holds the saw by the upper handle, the right foot is on the right hand guard and presses the saw to the ground.
In this position, it is most convenient for the operator to start the tool, t. к. Your right hand is free and you have your tool securely clamped.
Always engage the chain brake before starting the chain saw in any other starting position.
Option two: The operator stands with his left hand holding the top handle of the saw, with the back handle clamped between his legs.
This makes it particularly easy to start a chain saw with little power and still be in a safe place, protecting you from accidents.
Before starting the chainsaw, make sure there are no people or animals near it.
To see a video on how to start the chainsaw, and for a visual demonstration on how to start, see the steps below. In this video, a STIHL specialist shows you how to operate the machine correctly and start it up using the STIHL MS 211 chain saw as an example. The video is very informative and includes reliable information from the manufacturer.
Cooking and refuelling
All modern chainsaws with rare exceptions are equipped with compact two-stroke engines running on high-octane automobile gasoline. Dosed quantity of special engine oil in the fuel in the ratio 40:1 or 50:1.
The requirements to the quality of petrol are few:
How to hold a chain saw
In order to correctly start the chainsaw, it is important to understand how the saw is positioned at this moment, or rather how the operator is holding the. There are two ways to hold the saw correctly when starting.
First option: the saw is placed on a flat surface, the operator’s left hand is straight and holds the saw by the upper handle, the right foot is on the right hand guard and holds the saw to the ground.
In this position it is most convenient for the operator to start the tool. к. the right hand is free and the tool is firmly fixed.
Before you start the saw in whichever position you want to start it, the chain brake must be engaged.
Option two: The operator stands with his left hand holding the top handle and the rear handle between his legs.
How to Start an Engine Without a Pull Start/Cord
This position allows you to start the saw without difficulty and at the same time secures it safely to prevent accidents.
Before you start the chain saw, check that there are no bystanders or animals in the vicinity.
To watch the STIHL STIHL STIHL chainsaw start-up video and to see a demonstration of how to start it, please click here. In this video STIHL chain saw specialist shows you how to operate and start your machine correctly using the STIHL MS 211 chain saw as an example. The instructions in this video are very informative and contain trustworthy information from the manufacturer.
Starting is not the same for every chainsaw. Let’s review the two most popular mechanisms that are used today to start the chainsaw. Let’s take the STIHL MS 180 and the Echo CS-352ES chain saws as an example. If you have another make of chain saw, just try to start it by analogy, because most probably you have the same or similar mechanism.
Before we start describing the starting process, I’d like to point out that in some chainsaws the manual says that before starting the chainsaw, the emergency stop brake must be turned on. This is safer, they say. But it’s harder to start the chain saw if the brake is fixed, so it’s better to release it. If you do it right, it won’t do anything to you when you start it. If you’re afraid that without locking the brake, the chain saw might hurt you when you try to start it, it’s better not to use it at all.
The first thing to do before starting this chainsaw is to move the choke control lever to the down position (fig.1). Note that this lever only moves all the way down on the chain saw when the throttle trigger is depressed. So we press the throttle button and move the lever down. This closes the choke in the carburetor and locks the chainsaw’s throttle in the depressed position.
Now let’s break down the second mechanism for starting the chainsaw.
After the chainsaw has been prepared as described above, start the engine by carrying out the following steps:
- Lock the chain brake. That’s for the operator’s safety.
- Close the choke. The chainsaw has a lever with the symbol of the carburetor choke for this purpose. Turn it to the position that corresponds to the closed choke. A small amount of air needed for starting will flow through the choke hole.
- Pump the fuel mixture. If your chain saw has a primer (primer bulb, primer pump), press it several times so that fuel mixture gets inside.
- Switch on ignition. This is usually a toggle switch or a button labeled ON and OFF. Switch to the ON position.
- Pull the starter grip until you feel resistance. Do not pull the recoil starter grip hard right away, because it could break the starter mechanism.
- Pull the starter grip several times. With moderate intensity. If you pull too hard, the engine will not start. You could damage the starter mechanism if you pull hard too hard. On saws without primer, the number of attempts to start should be increased.
- Open the choke on the carburetor. When the engine “catches”, “shows signs of life”, “growls” and so on. turn the choke control lever to the operating position (the choke is open and the air flows in to the full volume).
If the chain saw is in good working order, the engine should start after 2 to 4 tries. Allow cold engine to warm up for a minute at idle before starting work.
If the chainsaw cannot be started and started
When all the actions are performed according to the established order, and the chainsaw does not start working, then there are failures in its mechanism. Usually the cause of this phenomenon are common and easily eliminated problems, such as a lack of spark, blockage of the fuel supply, clogging the filter that allows air to pass. In order to start the chainsaw, it is necessary to find the cause and perform the necessary actions to eliminate it.
Only the right action should be taken. If a person does not know what to do, it is not necessary to commit rash actions. It is forbidden to disassemble the device, especially care should be taken with the carburetor. It is impossible to unscrew any screws on it, because if its device has caused a breakdown, then it is impossible to repair the chainsaw without professional equipment.
Actions to be carried out in the correct order. Only when moving from one measure to the next can the exact cause of the malfunction be determined and quickly rectified without damaging other parts. Algorithm of actions performed in case of failures to start the chainsaw:
- At first, it is enough to let the device rest. This is especially true for saws that have been in use recently. It is enough to wait no more than 10 minutes, as during this time the mechanism will cool down and in the absence of other failures will start easily. Sometimes it happens that during the start-up of the appliance the plug is primed. If this unpleasant property occurred, it is enough to wait for a very short pause and repeat all the steps to start the motor again.
- The housing cover is unscrewed from the device to remove the air filter. The start-up process is carried out when the unit is not ignited. Sometimes the reason for the lack of ignition is that the filter is dirty. If the ignition occurred without it, then the reason lies in this. To get rid of this nuisance you just wash it under running warm water with soap and water, then dry it. It is also possible to replace the old element with a new one.
- The spark plug is taken out. Checking the spark is in progress. If it does not appear, you need to replace the old spark plug with a new one. Usually this helps and the spark appears, but in some cases there is no spark even when the mixture is replaced.
This means that the ignition unit is ruined and the chainsaw needs professional repair. Sometimes there is a malfunction of the ignition unit even in the presence of spark, so this criterion cannot be used to eliminate the probability of failure.
When the spark appears when it is impossible to get the unit to work, you must continue to follow the steps described below.
If there is any damage on the walls of the cylinder, it can be concluded that it will have to be repaired by professional means or replaced with a new one. Usually such malfunctions are caused by insufficient oil concentration in the fuel.
Start according to instructions
Different chainsaw models have different starting characteristics and mechanisms. We will consider the algorithm of starting the device on the example of a popular model of STIHL M chain saw. S. 180.
Before starting the start process, it should be noted that in the instructions to some models of chain saws, it is written that before starting the tool, the emergency stop brake should be activated for additional safety. But with a fixed brake it will be more difficult to start.
Accordingly, it will be better to unlock it.
If you do everything correctly, there will be nothing difficult. In case you are worried that without locking the chainsaw at the moment of startup will cause harm, it is better not to risk it at all and do not take the job. So, the algorithm for starting a STIHL tool is as follows:
- Before starting the tool, the choke adjustment lever should be moved to the lower position. Remember that it only moves on the saw to the bottom if the throttle button is pressed. Push the throttle button and move the lever down. This closes the carburetor choke and locks the throttle in the depressed position;
- Next, jerk the starter knob vigorously until you hear the characteristic sound of trying to start the tool. It should immediately stall. Then the choke position adjustment lever is moved up a step;
- In this position, pull the starter grip again until the saw starts. If it starts, it will work at high rpm because the throttle lever is locked in place;
- Then press and release the throttle button once so that the choke control lever automatically moves to the operating position and the RPM is reduced;
- If you want to start the chain saw when it is warm you need to put the lever in the operating position and then start it;
- To stop the machine engine, move the choke control lever to the up position.
Causes of failure to start
There are algorithms developed to search for failures typical for internal combustion engines, which help to find and eliminate faults with a small expenditure of working time.
In a more simple variant it is excessive fuel in the combustion chamber, unregulated clearance in the spark plug, air drain in the fuel system that prevents mixture ignition.
Also, it is possible that the carburettor valve actuator is disconnected, the jets are contaminated and there is condensation water in the float chamber.
Basic rules of the tool operation are the same for all STIHL 180, Echo, Ural and are as follows:
- Hold the saw with both hands and wrap all your fingers around the handle.
- The operator should not stand behind the STIHL chainsaw, but at its side.
- Use the top or bottom edge of the tool to cut the material.
- If you need to move to another location, for safety reasons turn off the motor.
- Start cutting with the part of the guide bar closer to the body.
- The worker must wear special clothing, boots with protective inserts and use personal protective equipment goggles, heavy-duty gloves, helmet.
Step-by-step instructions on how to start a chain saw in summer or winter
Not all beginners, picking up this tool for the first time, know how to start the chain saw. Especially in special situations, for example in the winter. In addition, even the highest quality tool must be handled properly to avoid it breaking down or causing an accident. Despite the wide range of different models, they all start in about the same way.
Chainsaw Electric Start
As a result, to start the saw with confidence and without stalling you have to work with the starter motor for a long time, to catch the moment of starting, to accelerate when starting, etc.д.
The first start of the chain saw. how to start the tool?
After all the previous procedures are done, you need to start the chain saw and run it in. Due to the fact that at the first start of the chainsaw the engine will be cold, we will describe exactly this option:
- Lay the saw on a flat surface so the bar and chain don’t touch anything.
- Pull the chain brake handle toward the front handle, making contact with it with the brake.
- Turn the ignition switch to the on position.
- Move the air inlet flap to the closed position.
- If your chain saw has a decompression valve, press it. it’ll make starting easier.
- Move choke shutter to “start” position. If your chain saw has a manual override, pull the choke lever out of the housing. If the control is separate, press the lever and lock it in the intermediate position.
- Wrap your left hand around the front handle of the saw and press the tool down.
- Then step on the safety guard of the right handle.
- Pull the starter grip with your right hand until the ratchet mechanism engages the starter. At this point there is resistance. When you feel it, pull the starter grip toward you.
- When there is a flash in the engine, you need to open the air damper and start the chainsaw again.
- After starting the engine, start at full throttle and release the choke lever. The choke shutter will disengage on its own.
Faults when starting the chainsaw for the first time
Several mistakes can be made when starting a chainsaw that will result in the chainsaw not starting:
- When starting the engine, you might miss the starting point and continue to pull the starter grip.
- or forgetting to set the chain breaker to the proper position.
- Close the air damper when starting a cold engine, and open the air damper when starting a hot engine. This is sometimes forgotten.
- Pumping too much primer is another mistake and causes the chain saw to flood.
Don’t forget that the saw may have a faulty spark plug or carburetor.
How to Start an Engine Without A Starter
What to do if the saw has been primed?
- Unplug the tool.
- Remove the cover from the chainsaw.
- Unscrew the spark plug.
- Pull the starter grip, with the chainsaw upside down. Fuel will fly out. If a lot of gasoline is pouring out, it may indicate a needle hang-up. in practice, this rarely happens.
- Reattach the spark plug, reassemble the chainsaw, and start it again.