How to restore the battery of an electric screwdriver
The use of direct current sources made it possible to create a compact and mobile tool. As the battery capacity decreases and the working characteristics of the equipment, the owner is faced with how to restore the battery of an electric screwdriver. The algorithm depends on the type of battery, some of the products are not subject to repair and is replaced by new devices.
How to determine the battery malfunctions
If when working with an electric screwdriver, the working hours from one charge are significantly reduced and the power of the tool drops noticeably, the battery is faulty. You can check this by simply replacing the battery.
Of course, there are no eternal batteries, and their service life is limited. The easiest option, of course, will buy a new battery. Or you can take a chance and restore the battery of an electric screwdriver yourself. To do this, open the battery housing, extract the battery and, after determining the faulty element, replace the last.
Diagnosis of a faulty battery
Before repairing the battery of an electric screwdriver at home, you must find out the reason for its breakdown. Proper diagnosis is 80% of the work performed. And this process is not always simple and understandable.
Diagnosis of faults of batteries is to determine one or more cans that failed. Simultaneous breakdown of all nutrition elements is nonsense that occurs once a century.
The sequence of determination of the malfunction:
- Fully charge the battery block of a screwdriver. Included to the transfer power tool, there is a special score-charging. In which it is necessary to install the removed battery and give several hours for full charge. The end of the charge cycle is a tanned green indicator on the case.
Important! Before charging nickel-cadmium or nickel-metallogid power source, they should be completely discharged. Lithium-ion batteries can be placed on charging, regardless of the percentage of their capacity.
- Remove the protective cover of the battery. There are no illegible buildings: some manufacturers make bolt fasteners, others. adhesive. It is easier with bolts. it is enough to twist them and remove the lid. The glued surface can be carefully cut off with a monster knife.
- Conduct a visual inspection. When failing, the battery bank is usually swollen. this is clearly visible to the naked eye. The cause of the low capacity may be a firing wire or jumper between the elements.
- Measure the voltage on each bank. Before starting measurements, the multimeter should be included in the “constant voltage” mode and touched with the probes of the conclusions of each element. Solder each element is not necessary.
- Using a small section wires, attach a simple car lamp to or 24 V (depending on the rated voltage of the battery battery) to the screwdriver power supply to the screwdriver power supply). Leave the lamp on for 30-40 seconds.
- Disconnect the car lamp from the battery and re.measure the potential difference of each element.
- Determine the element with the maximum fall of the capacity and replace it.
- Collect the battery in the reverse order.
Repair or diagnostics of batteries for electric screwdriver can be carried out with their own hands without much difficulty. This is clearly seen from the above sequence. It is only necessary to have a tool, minimal baggage of knowledge, free time and desire to do something with your own hands.
Replacing cans in the battery
How to repair a battery for an electric screwdriver? The easiest way to revive the battery is to replace one of the cans.
EASY FIX FOR A DEAD ‘NOT CHARGING’ LITHIUM 18650 BATTERY FROM A CORDLESS TOOL BATTERY PACK. PART 2
You need to find a defective element with a small voltage. To do this, use the tester.
Instructions on how to check the battery of an electric screwdriver by multimeter:
- The usual multimeter has two probes. red and black. There are two contacts from the opposite ends of the can (plus and minus).
- The tester selection lever is installed in the “constant voltage” mode. If the multimeter has an automatic selection of values - this is enough. If it is not, you need to put the lever in position “20”.
- The probes are applied to the contact areas and the voltage is measured. The screen shows a real voltage. If there is a sign “-” in front of the numbers, then the probes need to be changed with each other.
- Each bank is checked by this algorithm.
When a broken element was found, it simply solders and changes. You need to use a powerful soldering iron so as not to overheat the jar.
Owners of screwdrivers who decided to independently engage in battery repair should familiarize themselves with the most common types of faults. There are several reasons why the batteries cease to function normally:
- Destruction of the plates;
- short circuit;
- electrolyte pollution;
- Pole change;
- Crystal degradation due to long-term storage in discharged form.
Additional Information! It is quite difficult to cope with the consequences of such breakdowns yourself. That is why many decide to entrust the repair of the battery to professionals.
How I Fixed My Faulty Makita Battery
How the screwdriver battery works
AKB or battery battery is composed of sequentially connected elements. Each has an electrolyte, electrodes. Depending on the type of raw materials used in the manufacture of raw materials, batteries are divided into several varieties.
- Nickel-metallhydrid (ni-mh)-less common due to high cost. The pluses of devices include a large container, a lower level of self.discharge, the absence of toxic substances in the composition. Long.term storage in a discharged state leads to an uninvited loss of part of the properties. When in the conditions of negative temperatures, their power falls.
- Nickel-cadmium-characterized by a small heating, inability to fail due to overheating, maintaining the volume of container at temperatures to.40 degrees, durable use. from 8 to 10 years. To increase the life of performance, you need to work with elements until they are completely discharged and stored in this form. The disadvantages of the devices include toxicity due to the cadmium and low specific capacity.
- Lithium-ion-differ in the lack of memory effect, low self-discharge, withstanding more cycles in charging and discharge. Elements are sensitive to sharp changes in temperature and voltage surges during recharging. The average service life is 3 years, no more than 24 months are stored.
- Lithium-polymer-maintain performance at serious temperature differences, are characterized by high energy density with a small volume and weight. Negative qualities include risk of fire due to overheating or reloading. In conditions of storage, stay no more than 2 years.
Important! Modern nutrition elements have more advantages, but the obstacle to wide use is the high cost.
Restoring the battery by replacing several elements
Restoring the battery of an electric screwdriver by replacing several elements may be successful for all types of batteries. It also does not represent any risk for them, as well as manipulations with distilled water, subject to accuracy during soldering.
At first, using the multimeter, the output voltage of each “can” is measured, which in the total aggregate should be 12-14 V. Accordingly, the voltage of one “can” should be 1.2-1.4 V. The indicators U are compared with each other, the womber marks the weakest elements. details on how to check the battery of an electric screwdriver by multimeter →
After that, the battery is inserted into an electric screwdriver and works until the moment when the power begins to significantly decrease. The voltage indicators are removed again, and those “banks”, the difference in voltage of which is 0.5-0.7 in compared to more “strong”, should be dropped, disposed of and replaced with new ones similar to the old one, having previously ordered them in the online store.
It is recommended to solder the battery chain with point welding, but if there is no one, there is nothing left to do anything, how to use the usual soldering iron and do everything as quickly and clearly as possible, so that, as far as possible, prevent the battery.
“Native” connecting plates of the battery should not be lost, they need to be soldered back without confusing the polarity. In addition, all the elements of the chain should have the same capacity indicators.
After the soldering ends, insert the battery back into the electric screwdriver and conduct 2-3 cycles of the full “charge-discharge” to equalize the energy potential of all batteries. In order for the updated battery to last longer, it should be carried out 2-3 times a month. How to quickly and completely discharge the battery of an electric screwdriver →
BMS (Battle Management System). battery control system. BMS payment is extremely important when remaking an electric screwdriver for lithium. Why is it needed and how it works? It controls the charge and discharge, preventing the overpoint and recharge of the battery of the electric screwdriver, it built into it “Balancir”, which charges separately each Li-Ion battery in the assembly. The latter is extremely important! There are BMS without a balancer! 3S. 12V, 4S. 14V, 5S. 18V to choose a BMS board, it must be taken into account that the minimum current should be 30a, otherwise it will go into defense.
BMS payment option by link to 2-3 dollars more than some basic versions, but you get 100a instead of 30a or 40a. In my opinion, in terms of functionality, this is the best BMS payment with Aliexpress and deserves this symbolic overpayment.
Replacing all elements of the battery block
The right number of elements can be ordered in any online store, depending on the number of old batteries. It is important to pay attention to ensuring that all of them are originally the same capacity.
You can completely replace all the elements of the battery block with new nickel-cadmium batteries. They are much cheaper than nickel-metallhydrid, and, compared to other batteries, the most tenacious and hardy. However, recently, independent remodeling of “cadmium to lithium”, in other words, is increasingly practicing, instead of old Ni-CD new lithium-ion batteries.
Despite their reliability, nickel-cadmium batteries can quickly fail because they have a sequential connection to each other without a board of balancing. If the batteries of one batch of manufacture, their parameters will still have a large spread among themselves. With this connection, one element will be charged faster, the other is slower, and the third may be reloaded.
If manufacturers of cadmium batteries made balancing boards, as for lithium batteries, Ni-CD could work much longer. But manufacturers are simply unprofitable for manufacturers. As for lithium elements, balancing boards in such battery blocks are installed because without them overheating with the subsequent explosion: here manufacturers are simply nowhere to go. About which battery is better for an electric screwdriver, you can find out here →
To complete the replacement of batteries in an electric screwdriver from Nickel-Kadmievs to lithium-ionic, you will need:
- the number of elements equal to the number of previous (with the same capacity);
- Balancing board 5s (its ampezh depends on how many volts an electric screwdriver is designed);
- Tester or multimeter;
- soldering iron with a good “sting”;
- high.quality flux and lead solder;
- Silicone wires Aug 16;
- heat.resistant adhesive tape.
Before you start soldering, discharge batteries. Remove old batteries from the block and free contacts. It is better not to throw out the old thermal attenter, but to leave it as additional protection against overheating of lithium.
Now the main thing is to properly stock up lithium. Cut the wiring of the desired length in advance, isolated, in the silicone, very thick to avoid their melting during lithium heating. Knives are cleaned with batteries for rations.
Heat the soldering iron well, up to 300 ° C, and start the soldering with a flux and lead solder. The flux should be of good quality, indelible, not conducting current. In no case do not use acid fluxes. Singing no more than 2 seconds to avoid overheating of lithium. In order for the heat to go faster, you can put any iron object after soldering after soldering, taking the heat.
Let the batteries cool and combine the “pluses” with the “minuses”, as usual. Check the total voltage. Its indicator should be an average of 20.7 V if the elements are 15 pieces.
After measuring the voltage, the board is attached. All its wiring must be laid with special gaskets, so that nothing “shakes” during operation. The entire battery block is scooped up with heat.resistant adhesive tape, designed specifically for the insulation of batteries and their contacts.
Wires and connector are soldered. If the contacts “hang out”, they can be planted on thermoclie. Now, finally, you can finally collect the battery block of an electric screwdriver and check its work.
Sometimes it seems that it is very difficult to repair the battery of an electric screwdriver of Hitachi. But if you understand the general principles, such as the basics of electronics, the device of batteries from the inside, the types of batteries and the main principles of the correct soldering, it becomes clear how to repair the battery for an electric screwdriver on its own. This will not only save financial resources, but will also contribute to the acquisition of valuable and useful skills.