How to repair Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Li-ion batteries of an electric screwdriver
Skipping the talk about the benefits of screwdrivers we can go straight to the topic. The battery or battery in screwdriver owners is the biggest concern. It’s best to handle them strictly according to the instructions. In the event of a breakdown, the solution is one. buy a new battery. But temporarily you can try to use the problem battery, for which a number of tips are offered here. We emphasize. battery repair is a temporary solution, but first you need to accurately investigate the causes of malfunction.
The battery is not charging
An electric screwdriver sometimes fails after prolonged use. Its working element can stop charging, which leads to an inability to perform the functional capabilities of the instrument, the instrument will “die”, roughly speaking.
In order to prolong the life of the tool so that you don’t have to take it out of your sight, you can try three methods one by one. Each subsequent method is considered more complicated and expensive. They consist of:
- recovery and increase of capacity after a reversible loss of capacity (memory effect);
- adding distilled water to the electrolyte;
- Replacing some or all of the battery packs.
Checking the battery after repair
After replacing the battery cells it is necessary to perform potential equalization of all battery cells. To do this, place the latter in the freezer for a long period of time. Then, at the end of the charge the battery electric screwdriver should be left for about a day to recover.
Discharge the battery by working the electric screwdriver until it is fully discharged or by connecting a load to it. For example, an incandescent lamp designed for the appropriate voltage. To equalize the charge of the battery, the charge and discharge cycle should be repeated twice.
How to change the batteries in an electric screwdriver by your own hands
An electric screwdriver is one of those tools that every man needs. The device can operate both from the mains and from special chargers. Therefore, it is recommended that every owner of such a product should know about how the batteries in an electric screwdriver are replaced. The process is not complicated, but some models may have certain features.
List of necessary tools
The following tools may be needed for repair work:
- Multimeter. This tool is necessary for measuring AC and DC voltages.
- Screwdrivers and flathead screwdrivers. Needed for disassembly of the body of an electric screwdriver.
- Soldering iron. Inexpensive models with about 40 watts will do the job.
Additional Information! Consumables like solder and tin are needed to use the soldering iron.
Despite the fact that the electric screwdriver is a very handy and functional device, which is in the arsenal of many masters (both home and professional), it still can break. No technique is safe from such problems. It is not uncommon for a faulty battery to be the source of an electric screwdriver malfunction. Let’s get acquainted with the list of the most common problems associated with the battery of this tool.
- In many cases there is a loss of capacity in the battery of an electric screwdriver. It can be not just one, but several batteries.
- Probable mechanical defects in the chain of the battery block itself. Such troubles are usually caused by tearing of the plates that connect the cans to each other, or connecting them to the terminals.
- Battery failure can be provoked by the oxidation of the electrolyte. this is another common trouble faced by many screwdriver owners.
- Lithium can decompose in the lithium-ion components.
how to repair a drill machine battery at home how to make with multi electro
If you choose the most common defect of the battery of an electric screwdriver, it can include the problem of loss of capacity. The matter here is that loss of capacity of at least one element simply doesn’t allow the rest of jars to be charged normally and to the end. As a result of receiving an incomplete charge, the battery begins to discharge rather quickly and inevitably (does not hold the charge). Such a malfunction may be due to the memory effect or drying of the electrolyte in the banks because they were very hot during charging or working in conditions of high loads.
This defect in battery of any type can be completely eliminated by your own efforts, without resorting to the services of specialists.
How a screwdriver battery is built
A battery or rechargeable cell is made up of cells connected in series. In each there is an electrolyte, electrodes. Depending on the type of raw materials used in the manufacture, batteries are divided into several varieties.
- Nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH). less common because of the high cost. The pluses of the devices include a high capacity, a lower self-discharge rate, the absence of toxic substances in the composition. Prolonged storage in discharged state leads to irreparable loss of some properties. When placed in conditions of subzero temperatures their capacity drops.
- Nickel-cadmium batteries are characterized by low heat, no possibility of failure because of overheating, and retention of capacity at temperatures up to.40 degrees, long service life. from 8 to 10 years. To increase the service life, you should work with cells until they are fully discharged and store them in this form. The disadvantages of these devices are toxicity due to the cadmium they contain and their low specific capacity.
- Lithium-ion batteries have no memory effect, low self-discharge rates, can withstand more charging and discharging cycles. Cells are sensitive to rapid temperature fluctuations and voltage spikes during recharging. Average lifetime. 3 years, stored for no more than 24 months.
- Lithium polymer. workable at severe temperature fluctuations, high energy density at low volume and weight. The disadvantages are the risk of fire because of overheating or overcharging. Do not last more than 2 years in storage conditions.
Important! Modern batteries have more advantages, but a barrier to widespread use is the high cost of.
On the Internet you can find tips on various methods of cell recovery of varying degrees of effectiveness and dubiousness. At once ruling out such unscientific methods as short-circuiting the battery terminals, we can consider several methods allowing to prolong at least a little life of expensive batteries.
If among NiCd or NiMH battery cells there are jars with zero voltage, it can be assumed that their electrolyte is dry. You can try to repair such a cell by injecting distilled water. To do this, drill a hole in the battery case and put about 1 ml of the liquid with a syringe. The water should soak in. If it does not happen, the cell is not repairable. If the first portion is absorbed, it is necessary to introduce further doses of water until full saturation, then the hole in the housing should be soldered.
How to Repair a weak Drill / Screwdriver / Battery runs out quickly
Then you need to charge the cell with a pulse current (pulses with an amplitude of 10C for 2-4 seconds). If all goes well, you should let the jar sit for a few hours and put it back in the battery.
In the network you can find tips to reanimate a depleted electric screwdriver battery by charging it with high currents. Efficiency of the method is questionable. chances for the final loss of the cell are higher than for its reanimation. But to restore the capacity of NiMH or deeply discharged Li-Ion batteries, training can give a positive (but not very long) effect. To do this, you need to discharge the battery with a current of about C, then charge it. After repeating this cycle several times, it is often possible to restore the functionality of the battery for a while. In this case it is possible to discharge cells by light bulb.
How to Repair Electric Screwdriver
Also the deep freezing method of restoring the capacity is very controversial and questionable. place the battery for several hours in a freezer with a temperature below minus 10 degrees Celsius.С. Most experts consider this method to be wild. None of the advisers have not yet given a coherent explanation of the processes taking place in the battery in freezing. But if other options have been exhausted, why not try to re-cool the battery before throwing it away to clear your conscience.
Can any battery be repaired?
This is the first question that arises for the home handyman faced with such a problem. To begin with let’s consider what they can be.
Screwdrivers come with a variety of batteries, among them:
The first two types can be resurrected, but this will not work with a lithium battery. A dead battery has to be thrown out. So today we will not talk about it.