How to change the reel on a STIHL grass trimmer
Lawn trimmer, whether gasoline or electronic, is the only true solution for mowing grass in inaccessible areas that can not cope with a wheeled mower. As a cutting tool in trimmers used iron knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the grass trimmer spool. Unfortunately, however, trimmer heads unfortunately deteriorate over time during use. Some failures can be corrected at home, and some require full replacement of the mowing head.
Mowing heads for trimmers come in different designs. both conventional and complex. The drawing below shows a disassembled automatic trimmer head from Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna).
This type of head is in a complete set the majority of gasoline mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Favorit), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The construction of the mowing head is quite ordinary. It consists of the following parts:
- the base of the mowing head;
- button for automatic filament feeding;
- Spool (bobbin) where the line is threaded;
- The eyelets are where the line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- fishing line (cord).
There are also more ordinary trimmer heads, shown in the following photo.
These heads do not allow you to change the length of the line automatically (by pushing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Users of electric trimmer and lawnmower often face a mismatch associated with the automatic mowing head. Coil failures can be as follows:
STIHL brushcutters, stringing the AutoCut 25 2 mowing head
If the light impact of the button on the grass trimmer spool on the ground line is not extended, the following are the causes of this.
Option 1. jamming has occurred, t.е. the filament is caught between the coils. This discrepancy usually occurs if the user has wound the line on the spool unevenly, with crossed turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speed under the influence of centrifugal force the cord begins to tighten, and as a result you inter-scroll clamping line. To correct the problem you need to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and rewind the cords correctly, in other words, with even coils and a good tension.
Option 3.2. very short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when hitting the ground, if its ends sticking out of the head is not long enough (not long). Then the centrifugal force is not sufficient to stretch the line. Therefore, you need to stop the machine (turn off the engine otherwise unplug the electric trimmer for grass) and pull the line manually, first pressing the button.
Variant 3. the line is soldered inside the mowing head. This leads to the fact that the reel does not spin when the button is pressed. In general, this happens for several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating of the reel during prolonged use of the unit, the impact of the line on solid objects.
- in the beginning you will like the cords of other manufacturers are made of low quality and easily fusible materials that do not withstand the mechanical and thermal loading. That is why preference should be given to “proprietary” line.
- If you have got the line of unknown properties, and it often soldered in its time of work, you can follow the example of some users, who after filling the cord in the coil grease it or silicone grease (from a spray bottle), or mineral oil. This procedure is much less likely to stick the coils of the fishing line to each other.
- Also, the line may melt if, while mowing, it hits a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.д.). When it is finished, the line stretches a little and is drawn back into the head at high speed. The friction causes the cord to get warm and the coils to stick together. The only thing to do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line.
STIHL fs 38 trimmer bearing replacement
There are situations when the user of grass trimmer notices a very sharp line consumption. With all that said, he never once hit the button on the ground to lengthen the line. The assumption that the line extends spontaneously by being cut on the special blade on the housing is the lack of a spring in the mowing head. Often beginners users of mowers, trying to load a line in the spool, forget to install a pinch spring in the head, or completely lose it when opening the cover, and soon, do not even know about its existence.
Also, the line is extended without using the button if the spring is loose. If checking the spring confirms this fact, you need to put a few washers under it, to strengthen its clamping characteristics.
Owners trimmers, mostly new, come to the confusion, adjoining to panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or line in the spool. Often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To avoid this, if it will be necessary to change the tool, it is recommended to study in detail the step-by-step annotation given below.
- While tucking the line into the spool, turn off the engine brushcutter or no power trimmer electric grass to avoid injuries that occur when accidentally start the rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to the gear shaft. To do this, you need to fix the shaft by aligning the holes on the washer on the axis, and inserting there an iron bar or screwdriver.
The ignition system of the power tool
- Take a piece of plywood on another textolite and draw a circle in its cross section of about 14 cm.
- Cut out the disk with a jigsaw, otherwise speaking of a hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the cross section of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disc on the shaft, washer should be put on this address.
- On the sides of the disk can be screwed small brackets as it is also called make 1-2 holes on the reverse sides. They will serve for threading the line.
- To fix the line, you need to screw some self-tapping screws into the plywood.
Such a home-made mowing head is attached to the shaft with a nut. Screw in or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft is impossible. To change the cord, you need to release the self-tapping screws, stick a piece of fishing line of the desired length and press it down again.
Also the mowing head for attaching a fishing line to its surface is of course made of iron sheet. How to do this, you can realize from the following video.
Step-by-step instructions for winding the bobbin of a grass trimmer and brush cutter
To make sure you don’t get the wrong line for your tool, first disassemble the head and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually provided as a hint, which will not allow you to make a mistake when using the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the spool about how much line diameter you can fill, this information can be found in the manual. Once you’ve decided on the thickness or diameter of the latch, all that’s left to do is figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. We’ll look at both methods in detail, and depending on which mower and trimmer models you use, you’ll determine which option is appropriate.
Battery trimmer options
Cordless grass trimmers are easy to use, and they actively help clear grass in close proximity to the house. These machines contain batteries with a charge indicator. It’s easy to adjust the boom and handle.
The advantages of battery-powered trimmers
- Without noise and also without wires you can take care of lawns;
- ideal for amateur use;
- low weight and good balance.
How do I remove my Stihl strimmer spool Head to a metal blade and How do I rewind new strimmer line?
The equipment comes in a series and includes the following.
- Height-adjustable boom. It can be adjusted at any time. Ideal for applications where several people use the machine and everyone can adapt it.
- Handle is shaped like a circle and easy to adjust. It has six positions.
- The mower unit is adjustable. It can be done in four positions.
- The edge can be cut vertically. angle can be adjusted up to 90 degrees.
The best known battery operated cos variants are as follows.
How to Rewind the Spool on the STIHL AutoCut C 6-2
Length of device 154 cm. 5.5A current. The lightest of all mowers. This tool can be used over large areas.
Length is 165 cm. Current 8A. Ideal for mowing small areas.
Handy device for mowing lawns, flowerbeds, fences, etc. д. The engine is silent enough, no exhaust fumes.
For tough grass and large areas. There are two handles on the handle. 26 cm diameter mowing pattern. Low noise, which favorably affects the effective work. The cutting blade has two blades.
Lawn mower carburetor adjustment and repair
Trimmer for grass to the complex of home appliances do not apply, because most of his failures are the nature of the mechanical and rather well resolved their own hands. Even if a heavy-duty failure occurs. a damaged piston ring, for example. it can be easily repaired by just replacing the part.
Even with a relatively normal design, a part of the machine that needs adjustment, such as the carburetor.
Replacing the O-ring and gas pedal in the carburetor of the STIHL FS55 lawnmower (gasoline lawnmower).
The STIHL FS 55, the instruction manual for which is included with the machine and which you should study before beginning work, is a high-tech machine that is not complicated to operate. You can make repairs and adjustments yourself. It takes five minutes for the carburetor.
The main problems with carburetor malfunctions can be breakdowns and clogging. In order to find out the cause, you should unscrew the fuel filter cover and take out the mesh filter. If it is dirty, blowing or flushing it with gasoline can help. If you find visible changes on the filter, it should be replaced with a new one.
The fuel pipe connections on your STIHL STIHL STIHL HYGIENERGY Mower may also be damaged. The failure of the carburetor starter can occur due to gaps. Gasoline or acetone is used for flushing. The carburetor can be blown out with compressed air, a handy repair practice for this. Leaks can occur in the exhaust or intake pipes, as well as in the throttle body and the places where carburetor parts are connected. If you encounter the above-mentioned problem, you can verify it with a soapy solution that is applied to the desired area.
Read more: How to treat a greenhouse against aphids in the fall
STIHL FS 55 multi-purpose lawnmower 41402000475 with two-handled handle for comfortable mowing. Very good for mowing lawns and trimming land. And in combination with the appropriate cutting attachment it is also effective for mowing fallen grass, reeds and nettles. The STIHL FS 55 comes in a special extended package with an AutoCut 25-2 trimmer head, GSB 230-2 two-blade blade and a double shoulder strap. The STIHL FS 55 C is additionally equipped with an ErgoStart for easy starting. The advantages of the STIHL FS 55 lawnmower :
- Ergonomic two-handled handle. Two-handed handle ergonomic handlebar for the grass mower. It provides a natural grasshopper ride and is easy to adjust. For brushcutters and brushcutters, a two-handle handle is indispensable when mowing large areas frequently.
- Wide range of cutting attachments: Standard lines up to 2 mm (SuperCut), 2.7 mm (AutoCut/DuroCut) and up to 3.0 mm (TrimCut), toothed line up to 3.0 mm (DuroCut), plastic folding knives (PolyCut), metal knives and blades up to 230 mm.
- Electronic ignition system. Fully sealed electronic ignition system guarantees reliable starting and problem-free engine operation. High ignition voltage gives reliable spark formation and long ignition timing. It improves fuel combustion and reduces emissions (example illustration).
- Multifunctional handle (R).All engine controls are integrated into one handle. Controls are easier and safer to operate.
- Manual fuel pump. With the manual fuel pump, fuel can be pumped manually to the carburettor with the touch of a finger. This reduces start-up jerks after long periods of disuse.
- Shoulder strap. Padded shoulder strap, makes long periods of work easier, more comfortable and safer.
- Safety goggles. Safety goggles are supplied as standard for your safety. They are well ventilated and have ample side protection.
Available cutting tool options for the STIHL FS 55 :
- Mowing heads for mowing grass :
- STIHL DuroCut 20-2 trimmer head. Double-stranded, for mowing hard grass and clearing areas. Easy installation. Compatible with a range of different string sizes 2.0 2.7 mm and shape. Also enables mowing with serrated L (2 mm) and XL (3 mm) lines. Delivered with 12 XL toothed lines.
- Trimmer head AutoCut 25-2 or AutoCut C 26-2. Two-bar, semi-automatic adjustment of the cutting string length by pressing the head to the ground in working mode. Fits FS 55-250/FSA 90-130. Equipped with 2.4 mm as standard, 2.7 mm strings are also possible. Model with index C in the name stands for Comfort. Allows line refilling without disassembly of the trimmer head.
- STIHL TrimCut 31-2 trimmer head. Suitable for FS 55-250/FSA 90-130. Manual line feed adjustment, with 2.4 mm strings in the basic version; strings with a diameter of 2.7 and 3.0 mm.
- STIHL SuperCut 20-2 trimmer head. Fits FS 55-250/FSA 90-130. Automatic line length adjustment, equipped with stringline 2.4 mm in its original configuration.
- STIHL PolyCut 27-3 trimmer head. For use with FS 55-250/FSA 90-130. The Polycut 27-3 mowing head uses plastic blades as cutting tools (ref. STIHL PolyCut 27-3 7 mm trimmer head (STIHL 4002 007 100) for improved cutting performance. Can also use a trimmer cord (fishing line) with a diameter of 2 or more.4 to 2.7 mm for grass mowing. The line is inserted in sections via clamps on the trimmer head.
- STIHL PolyCut 20-3 trimmer head. For use with FS 55-250/FSA 90-130. The Polycut 20-3 mowing head uses plastic blades as cutting tools (Art. 411 007 1001).
- STIHL DM 2F 230 mm twin-blade cutter blade
- STIHL DM 4F 230 mm four-blade blade
- STIHL GSB 8Z 230 mm disc
FS 55 FS 55 C FS 56 FS 70 C-E FS 70 C-E FS 94 C-E FS 111 FS 120 FS 120 FS 131 FS 250 Double Blade Trimmer Head Durocut 20-2 Trimmer Head Autocut 25-2 Trimmer Head AutoCut C 26-2 Easy start ElastoStart Easy start ErgoStart Decompression valve Anti-vibration system Engine 2- MIX engine 4-MIX engine Keyless handle adjustment EcoSpeed extended life paper air filter Carburetor compensator Power hp 1 1.1 1 1.2 1.2 1.45 1.8 1.9 2.2 Weight, kg 5 5 5.1 5.4 4.9 5.8 6.3 5.8 6.3 Drive shaft flex flex flex flex flex flex rigid rigid rigid rigid rigid
There may also be a punctured ignition coil in the electrical system. In this case, the lawnmower does not start or starts and works intermittently, and then stops, or on “hot” does not start at all.
Check the coil in the same way as for spark tests: unscrew the spark plug, hold it against the body of the weed trimmer. If there is no spark when you get a jerk, or it appears intermittently, then you need to change the coil.
STIHL service center has the parts and accessories for your STIHL trimmer. We have a parts availability policy. We always have the most common models in stock! All original parts and accessories are available directly from the manufacturers, delivery times range from 5 to 30 working days and are not subject to any surcharges.
To find out about parts availability, packages and prices, please call us or leave a request for parts on our website.
Problems and solutions. repair with their own hands
But what to do if you suddenly could not avoid the breakage of the mechanism? We won’t puzzle out the reasons, but it won’t be superfluous to consider possible problems that can arise with the mower, as well as methods of their elimination by your own efforts.
The engine won’t start. If you are faced with this problem, then initially you need to assess the amount of fuel in the fuel tank, maybe the problem as such is not, and it is only necessary to refill the fuel and continue working. By the way, it is worth paying special attention to the fuel you use, because its quality determines the lifetime and quality of your lawnmower. Experts recommend gasoline AI-92, not lower.
Robot lawn mowers Stiga. an innovation in the agricultural industry, which has managed to win the hearts of many farmers and gardeners.
Self-made circular sawmill. easy and simple, thanks to the detailed instructions you will find on this site.
Wondering how to choose a professional chainsaw without prior experience?”If you do not have access to a water supply html, then you go here //machinspec.com/lesozagotovitelnaya/benzopila/kak-vybrat.html.
Another likely cause of instability in the engine may be a dirty fuel filter. Check it carefully and clean it if necessary. If the filter can not be repaired by yourself, you should replace it with a new one.
Do not forget about the air filter, which can also lead to clogging of the tool. To avoid this, the part is removed and washed in water with detergents, or in gasoline if there is no access to a water supply.
The filter should then be thoroughly rinsed and dried, paying close attention to the integrity of the structure. Before inserting the part into the mower, lubricate it with a small amount of oil. However, if you do not want to bother with cleaning the machine, then we suggest you familiarize yourself with a lawn mower with mulching function, because it will not only mow the lawn, but also prepare a further fertilizer.
The spark plug can also affect the performance of the engine. It is necessary to unscrew it and check its condition, if necessary replace it with a new one.
If after all the manipulations done, the engine still does not start, then you can resort to the advice of experienced craftsmen, who have used them in practice.
It is necessary to adjust the revolutions with the carburetor screw. Place the mower in such a way that the fuel hits the bottom of the carburettor. Lay the machine with the air filter on top.
Then take it off and pour some fuel into the carburettor and put all the parts back. The engine should start.
You can pull the starter grip and close the carburettor choke in the process. Then open it and pull the starter a couple more times. It’s a fairly universal method, tried and tested over the years.
These tips are not a cure-all, but they are very powerful and helpful.
Mower stops shortly after starting. The main reason for such a malfunction is improper adjustment of the carburetor. Identifying this problem is quite easy. you will feel a strong vibration when the mower is running. You can fix it yourself by looking in the instruction manual, where the problem is described in detail and how to fix it.
Pay special attention to the fuel line, it is often the cause of the tool stalling. Check and clean it regularly.
Different small parts, such as a cable or fuel intake hose, can affect the stable operation of the tool. So keep an eye on them for cracks and minor punctures.