How to change trimmer line in a trimmer
the grass trimmer is the most common unit, used for cutting grass and small bushes. This device is notable for its ease of maintenance, uncomplicated operation during work, and thanks to its low weight even women can cope with it. It’s no secret that high-quality grass mowing operations require the right cutting tool. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside. The nozzles and fishing line for the trimmer are consumable tools, but if the blades can be sharpened, then the line needs to be replaced when it is used up. In this article we will give you the detailed information on how to change the line for your trimmer.
Mowing heads for grass is a cylindrical body, in which a spool with a line (cord) is inserted. This design can be mounted on either a gasoline or electric trimmer. The filament heads differ in the way they are threaded or fed and are of three different types.
- Automatic. The filament feed is performed after the user has lowered the engine speed. Automatic filament feeding may be advantageous when working with large volumes of line, but the disadvantage with this type of bobbin is its high filament consumption.
- Semi-automatic. This type of mowing head does not require the user to perform complicated operations. The way they work is that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for the trimmer thanks to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, after which it is cut to the required length by the knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, it is required to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also keep in mind that the grass trimmer spools for grass are single-stranded (used only for trimming grass) and double-stranded, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
How to change a trimmer line on a trimmer?
Replacing the grass trimmer fishing line with step-by-step instructions will allow even an inexperienced lawnmower owner in such matters to perform quite a difficult work.
However, before you begin work on replacing the fishing line on the trimmer, you need to ensure that the work is done safely. In particular, you should take precautions against careless or unintentional activation of the mower:
- Avoid spontaneous starting,
- Remove the battery pack (if used),
- place the tool on a comfortable place to work.
Grass trimmer line replacement works very well when the mower is lying on the table and the person who does the grass trimmer line replacement has an opportunity to step up to the tool from any side.
How to Remove Stuck Trimmer Line in a Green Machine Cordless String Trimmer
Grass trimmer head cover removal
The first stage of disassembly is removing the grass trimmer head cover. On an example of models of trimmers “Black and Decker” and others, for removal of a cover it is usually enough to apply some pressing force to squeeze the latch-fixator, which are located on the side of the head.
On some models of lawnmowers initially provides for the dismantling of the grass trimmer head, for which the hexagon wrench included in the tool kit is used. The head is normally held in place by two or three screws, which are accessed through the side holes in the rear decorative cover.
The cover of the head, where the fishing line reel is installed, is usually held in place by a latch-lip. It’s enough to squeeze the catch with some effort and twist the cover slightly, after that the cover can be easily removed
At the moment of squeezing the locking tab, you need to slightly turn and lift the cover of the grass trimmer head to remove the winding drum.
Step 2: Remove the filament drum (spool)
The next step of the process is to remove the spool with the line from inside the head area. It is necessary to turn the head with the open side to see the line for the trimmer and the spool. On the side of the head find two recesses (eyelets), through which the line for the trimmer is led out.
Release the line for the trimmer from the holes by turning the reel. Then carefully remove the spool from the head area. Some models have the spooling reel mounted on a spring. This point should be taken into account when performing the extraction operation.
Procedure for extracting the grass trimmer reel with fishing line from the inner area of the head: 1. head assembly with reel; 2. extraction carefully with a small axial turn; 3. extracted parts
The old line for the trimmer is completely removed from the spool. To perform the removal of the old grass trimmer line, you need to remove the line from the loops-fixators and pull the free end. This method removes all old spool. Repeat the same process on the second reel section. Wearing gloves is recommended for the toolmaker.
Winding up the line
Slowly completing the disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing any of its parts allows you to move on to the main task. winding the fishing line into the spool. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of operating tendrils determine the sequence of operations.
Reel with one spool pin
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of operations:
- The size of the reel and the length of the original factory reel determine the recommended line length for reeling. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the bobbin.
- the line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the bobbin’s rotation on the trimmer’s product. as a rule, on the inside of the reel there is an arrow indicating in what direction the winding is done.
- A small piece of fishing line is left free to be wound free and is locked into the groove on the inside of the bobbin to hold it in place when the bobbin is mounted in the working position.
- The remaining end of the line is fed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The two halves of the bobbin are assembled and placed on the trimmer bar.
Reel with two working clamps
In this type of bobbins, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line, lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases a 2-3 m trimmer line is used. In single-cable spools the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, and then wound in the opposite direction to the bobbin rotation on the boom. inside the arrow usually indicates the correct winding direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the line is pushed through them or held by the fingers of a free hand, put it through the hole in the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and fastened to the rod trimmer products.
The difference in the winding of line on dual reels is that initially a 2-5 m length of line is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and a loop of the fold is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both tendrils of fishing line are wound each on its own groove, fixing the tendrils and reassembling the spool is similar to the version discussed above with one groove.
Doing this procedure for the first time may seem time consuming and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be accomplished much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool and properly wind it. this operation is not anything complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
Winding the line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you adhere to a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Once you have decided on the cord length, follow the instructions below:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging should begin with the central rim, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine in which direction to wind the line for the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the side of the winding. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it around in the opposite direction.
- Wrap the fishing line carefully, coil by coil. Try to maintain maximum thread tension.
- When you have finished wrapping, secure the short end of the filament first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool, which will fit the diameter. Attach the second end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the trimmer line, cut the ends. Do not forget to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Install the primed spool to the mowing head of the unit. This involves inserting and pulling the thread alternately into the output holes of the head to then place the device’s bobbin into the skin.
- With the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. Once this is complete, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Winding the fishing line on the spool, step by step
You can also wind the cord on the grass trimmer in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. Replace as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- There should be a hole at the bottom of the bobbin that is designed to hold the fishing line in place. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- Do the same for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembly of the head of the device is similar to the first method.
Selecting the fishing line
In order to easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool, it is worth deciding on what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread that is threaded into the head, the more difficult the tasks it will be able to perform. It should be noted that often a multipurpose line with a width of less than 2 mm is used. You, in turn, can determine the size using the following methods:
- Read the information in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Check the suitability of the fishing line yourself by trying to insert it into the hole of the reel;
- Examine the bobbin for information on the diameters allowed for use.
Selection of the line for threading in the grass trimmer reel can be made by type of engine. For example, excessively thick fishing line can cause an increase in rotational resistance. Because of this, the load on the engine will increase, which will certainly affect the quality and life of its further operation.
Avoiding negative consequences is not difficult. To do this, consider that for electric motors with power up to 500 watts is ideal for trimmer fishing line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm. If you can’t get such thread, you can use 1.6 mm cord. 2 mm filament, on the other hand, is used for engines with more than 1 kW. It is worth noting that a 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If your gasoline-powered device has a straight shaft, you should use 2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest filaments are installed exclusively on devices with a power equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last, but not least, the type of cross-section of the line is an important factor. When choosing it, it is worth focusing on the tasks set for the gardening tool. There are several popular variants of the section:
- twisted. has a small margin of safety, which makes it suitable only for young grass;
- serrated. characterized by sharp edges, suitable for work on overgrown weeds;
- round is the most common cross-section. Such lines handle fresh grass well, but are not suitable for shrubs and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-section types. due to their low strength are used for working on lawns.
The most durable and versatile cord is a two-piece line for trimmer with a circular cross section, inside which is a core. This is the kind of line that is suitable for most jobs. It should be remembered that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire and other third-party materials as a cord poses a danger to others.
Which way to wind the trimmer line on the trimmer
How to correctly wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer reel
Many people, working out the factory line for the trimmer on not so long ago received trimmer, try to wind the newest, but can not, because they do not know how to correctly wind the line for trimmer on the spool (bobbin) trimmer for grass. As if the annotation is there, but it still does not work. In this article we will try to deal with this issue.
So, to wind the line for the trimmer, you must first remove the spool from the trimmer for grass. so it will be more convenient. The method of removal will depend on the type of trimmer for grass.
How to wind a trimmer line onto a grass trimmer or brushcutter mowing head
This video carefully shows how to wind fishing line on the grass trimmer or brushcutter reel. Filling the mowing line
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer reel?
The answer to the question after the preceding video.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, after removing and disassembling the spool, we actually proceed to winding.
If your spool is designed to work with only one tendril, then everything is very simple here.
You need to reel off 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the spool), find a hole on the inside of the spool fixing the line for the trimmer, stick one end of the line there and start winding the line for the trimmer in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the spool on the trimmer.
On the inside of the coil is usually indicated by an arrow in which side to coil line for trimmer. Having coiled a fishing line for a trimmer, we leave its small piece uncoiled, to expose it outwards.
This piece is fixed in a special groove, located on the same inside of the coil and created to ensure that at the time of gathering the coil line for the trimmer is not unwound. If there is no such groove, you have to hold the line for the trimmer with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the upcoming assembly of the spool. Next, take the outer part of the spool and pass the outer piece of line through the hole, assemble and put the spool back on the grass trimmer.
If there are 2-grooves, a piece of line length of 2-4 m fold in half, the resulting place of the bend loop put into the groove that is between 2 grooves, and wind immediately both ends of the line each by its own groove. The following steps are similar to the previous version.
That’s all on the subject. How to replace a line for a trimmer in a trimmer how to wind a line for a trimmer on the trimmer’s mowing head. Successful winding!
All about changing lines on a trimmer head
There are many types of heads for different line types. The latter is also available in several diameters: from 1.0 mm to 3.2 mm. It is available in round (including a special groove for noise reduction), square, twisted and star shape.
There is no clear preference, which explains the wide variety of shapes and diameters on the market. The round shape is usually stronger, but has a worse cutting ability, in addition, it makes a characteristic sound when rotating. Therefore, sometimes an acoustic groove is made on it, although the use of this line makes sense only on battery trimmers, machines with gasoline-powered and mains drive have a sound level of the drive itself almost drowns out the sound of the line. A square has a good cutting ability, and despite the fact that this line for trimmer is less strong than a round line, on average, it is consumed less. A square line for a trimmer quite easily cuts the same willow shoots up to 1 cm in diameter. The star has the maximum number of cutting edges, it mows the best and consumes the most quickly.
The next nuance in the choice. the stiffness. The fact is that in the manufacture of nylon, a modifier (often maleic anhydride) is added, which improves its strength and prevents tearing. However, modifiers are not the cheapest component, people try to save on it. Therefore, a seemingly good line for the trimmer, which was left for the winter, suddenly behaves quite differently in the spring. it tears, ceases to normally come out of the spool. There is a recommendation to soak a line for a trimmer in water before work, but I do not see much sense in it, maleic anhydride interacts with water, but if it is not enough in the nylon. then there is nothing to interact with. Therefore, there is no point in stocking the line for a long period of time, broken or constantly tearing fishing line for trimmer, which also does not want to go out of the spool itself, can significantly complicate the work.
How to Replace your line by winding it on the EGO Power 15″ String Trimmer
How to remove fishing line from a trimmer
To replace fishing line in your trimmer, remove the head cap. To do this, press the catches on both sides of the cover with your fingers and pull the cover upwards. You’ll have access to the spool. After that, pull it out by pulling up on the axis on which the spool sits. If the ends of the fishing line are sticking out of the head holes, then lift the spool on its axis and pull the remaining fishing line inside out of the head holes. Now the part holds nothing and it is easy to remove it and remove the remaining working thread.
The spool is divided in two parts by the central notch. Parts vary in size from one model to another, so you need to check how much fishing line you can wind on a reel. Its length varies between 1 and 4 m.
Winding the line
At the next stage, we wind the fishing line for the trimmer, making sure that each end is in its groove. After winding, the line ends should be temporarily inserted into the side grooves.
Then we insert the spool into the head, put the cover on top, straighten the ends of the fishing line so they come out of the grooves, and then fix everything on the latches.
For details on how to wind the line for the trimmer on the head of the trimmer for grass, you can see the author’s video. This review is based on a video from the YouTube channel HotSEM.