How to lay linoleum
When installing linoleum, you’ll have to measure, mark and cut with something. In certain cases, the coverage will also need to glue. Before you start, prepare everything you need:
- linoleum (about how to choose it, Lifehacker has already told);
- tape measure and a pencil;
- A sharp knife or scissors;
- A straight edge or a long ruler;
- a drill or a torch;
- Screws or dowels;
- baseboards and thresholds;
- double-sided adhesive tape or glue (if necessary);
- paint roller (if necessary);
- Cold welding for joints (if necessary).
Particulars of trimming
Quite often people ask how to properly cut linoleum. To make this manipulation during installation, it is necessary to use a special tool that allows you to perform a clear and precise cut. Use the most common kitchen knife for these purposes is not recommended. It is best to use a tool for the specific type of flooring.
In this case, the tool should be chosen based on the thickness of linoleum, as well as indicators of its density. The best method is to use a straightedge. Ideal for use on floors.
During the trimming of linoleum must follow a certain technique. Otherwise you can get an oblique cut or a large gap between the cloth and, for example, the wall. To cut this material yourself at home and still get a positive result, you need to follow these rules:
- During the trimming of the flooring must move gradually. It is necessary to make small cuts in this case. It is best to pre-mark with a marker, indicating the direction of movement of the knife. It is desirable to do it on the wrong side of the material.
- If you plan to work with internal corners, the linoleum should be cut v-shaped.
- If decking, which has a pattern, it is better to lay it face up. Then it is necessary to make a marking that will not distort the picture. If mistakes are made during the cutting of linoleum, they can not be corrected.
- To properly fit two strips of linoleum, the material is superimposed on each other so that there is an overlap. After that, it is advisable to cut both pieces together. This method is very practical. However, it requires the application of certain physical efforts in order to get a perfect result. Also when performing this action, it is mandatory to have a sharp knife.
- As for the final trimming of the material, it is recommended to do it with a hooked blade. The flooring should be fitted only after the completion of the main work with it. In order to cut the linoleum correctly on the floor and at the same time to avoid any errors in the form of large gaps, it is recommended to use a special marker, as well as a metal ruler.
Features of trimming
Quite often people ask how to properly cut linoleum. To carry out this manipulation during laying, it is necessary to use a special tool, thanks to which it will be possible to make a clear and precise cut. It is not recommended to use a regular kitchen knife for this purpose. The best option is to use a tool for the specific type of flooring.
In this case, the tool should be chosen based on the thickness of linoleum, as well as indicators of its density. The best method is to use a pull-out construction blade. The tool is ideal for working with flooring.
A certain technique must be followed when cutting linoleum. Otherwise, you can get an oblique cut or a large gap between the cloth and, for example, the wall. To cut this material yourself at home and at the same time to get a positive result, you need to follow these rules:
- During the trimming of the flooring, be sure to move gradually. It is necessary to make small cuts. It is best to pre-mark with a marker, indicating the direction of movement of the knife. It is advisable to do it on the wrong side of the material.
- If you plan to carry out work with internal corners, the linoleum should be cut v-shaped.
- If you are laying a covering that has a pattern, it is better to lay it face up. Then it is necessary to make a marking, which will not distort the picture. If mistakes are made during the cutting of linoleum, it will not be possible to correct them.
- To properly fit two strips of linoleum, the material is superimposed on each other so that there is an overlap. After that, it is advisable to cut both pieces together. This method is very practical. However, it requires the application of certain physical efforts, so that the result is perfect. Also when performing this action it is mandatory to have a sharp knife.
- As for the final trimming of the material, it is recommended to do it with a hook-shaped blade. The flooring should be trimmed only after the basic work on it has been completed. To cut the linoleum correctly on the floor and at the same time do not allow any errors in the form of large gaps, it is recommended to use a special marker, as well as a metal ruler.
Main rules of installation of a floor covering
If you do not lay the cloth immediately after delivery to the place of repair, be sure to store it in an upright position. If you put the material rolled up in a roll, it will bend, and waves will appear on its surface. Getting rid of them will be very problematic.
It is not recommended to install the flooring in a cold room, as it will be difficult to level it.
The minimum acceptable temperature for work. 15 ° C. If you bring the material into the room in winter, then before you put linoleum, you need to let it stand a little and warm up to room temperature, otherwise it will be difficult to work with the floor covering.
How a beginner to cut linoleum the first time and without waste
Such a floor covering as linoleum, without a doubt, is practical and versatile.
Yes, in addition, such flooring is much cheaper than the cost of laminate, let alone parquet of the same area. It is easy enough to install without the help of professionals.
Order of work
Linoleum should be installed only on a perfectly flat surface.
How to lay linoleum and prepare the surface under it, not everyone knows. First of all, it must be leveled and cleaned from all kinds of dirt. Any cracks or dents need to be filled and sanded. Begin to lay the material necessary to the wall without batteries, pipes and other elements that complicate the laying. Align the fabric on the selected wall. You should end up with 1 or 2 walls with straight edges, and the others will have wall bends left. When laying should always leave a gap of 7-10 mm between the cloth and the wall. Free space will allow high-quality alignment of the coating. If such a gap will not be, the linoleum may rise, and a “bubble” is formed.
Independently cut the material is best using a special construction knife, but you can also use a box cutter, and you will need a metal ruler, so the strip is obtained even. Before you put the linoleum and cut it, you need to check the correct location. The cloth should be laid exactly along the wall, the gap between it and the wall should not be more than 1 cm, otherwise the skirting may not cover it.
Lay out the linoleum in the room and leave it for 24 hours.
Most carefully make cuts in places where pipes, bends and other problematic areas. Proper cutting of the cloth. this is a major component of the linoleum laying work.
After cutting, you should have a sheet of material left over, about 5 mm behind the walls and matching the shape of the room. At this point, you need to take a break for 1-2 days so that the fabric can rest and level out on the floor. If even after that, the fabric remains wavy, it can be smoothed with a roller and an industrial hair dryer.
Warm the bend evenly and roll it thoroughly with a roller. This is quite a complicated job. It is much easier to prevent waves than to remove them.
Next, you can proceed to install the skirting boards. They should be attached to the wall, this will allow you to smooth the linoleum. Use self-tapping screws to attach them.
To fix it, you can use a variety of adhesives, such as liquid nails. To do this, roll up the cloth to the middle, smear the adhesive on the exposed floor surface and glue the material to it. Then, in the same way glued the second half of the linoleum. In this case, the flooring must be well pressed, use a trowel or roller. However, most experts recommend laying linoleum without additional fixation. This is due to the fact that if it is necessary to dismantle the flooring to perform it will be easier. The service life of household linoleum is not too long, so it is likely that you will have to re-lay linoleum after a short period of time.
This is interesting: How to do wet laying 2021
Now you know how to lay linoleum with your own hands to achieve the best results. Follow this simple procedure carefully and accurately, and your floor will delight you with its appearance and quality. In the following article. what gaps to leave when laying linoleum between it and the wall.
How to trim the linoleum when installing it in the room.
Pruning linoleum is perhaps the most difficult part of installing it in an apartment. Linoleum in Donetsk, we have almost every object, but in different volumes. Somewhere we put it only on the loggia or balcony, but in some cases cover the entire apartment. What is important to remember when installing linoleum.
When you roll out a roll of linoleum, it is necessary to make sure that no sharp corners and fractures are formed, so as not to get deformations or, especially dangerous, cracks. The most exposed to such risks linoleum, the thickness of which does not exceed 2.5 mm., and the protective coating is less than 0.2 mm.
After you spread the roll in a room and aligned it on the walls, you need to cut the extra overlap so that the remaining part is about 10 cm.(it can be less). Then you need to trim the linoleum in the corners, preliminarily press the linoleum in the corner to the floor as much as possible. Next, the linoleum must be pressed against the wall as closely as possible and begin to trim with a painting knife, after each trim checking the done. After you have trimmed the linoleum around the perimeter of the room, you must carefully review everything and cut off the laps on the walls with regular scissors. The distance between the wall and the edge of the linoleum should be about 3. 5 mm.
How to cut the linoleum laid?
Some professionals cut the material with an ordinary construction or even kitchen knife, the main thing is that they were well sharpened and had a smooth surface, so as not to break the cloth while cutting.
Important! However, the quality of cutting linoleum depends on a well-chosen tool. It is not worth the risk, so it is better to choose a professional knife for cutting flooring. so that when the work is done, you can admire the fresh linoleum, on which you can’t even see the joints