Learning how to properly wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer reel and lawn mower installation instructions
Owners of private homes know how necessary is such a type of tool as a trimmer for grass. It can be petrol or electric, and they differ in the design of the power units. To mow the grass in areas where there are rocks, trees and other obstructing objects, a line for the trimmer is used as a cutting device. This consumable material wears out during use, so how to wind the grass trimmer spool, we will consider in detail in the material.
A fishing line is a consumable that consists of nylon, and serves as a cutting device. Through this equipment the grass is mowed, which is ensured by the rotation of the tool head at high frequency. This material has different thickness, which depends on its application on the respective tools electric low-power (1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 watts (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline grass trimmers with brush cutters (2.4 to 3.2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the thicker the cutting equipment must be, respectively. This affects not only the quality of grass cutting, but also the service life of the material. If you wonder how to wind the grass trimmer reel, then it’s time to change the tool. With the advent of spring this issue is becoming more and more in demand, so it’s time to understand the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the grass trimmer reel.
Types of trimmer heads
Trimmer is a tool that is used to combat vegetation on a garden plot or homestead territory. Mowing grass and making hay for cattle involves the use of petrol or power tillers. Grass trimmers are equipped with different types of heads, through which grass and other vegetation is cut.
Heads are classified into three main types, which differ not only in design, but also in price, method of operation and service life. Consider all types of trimmer heads and their technical features.
Choosing a fishing line
In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for the trimmer is used, with a diameter of 2 mm. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the manual that came with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Note the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet hole. If it passes through without difficulty, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer
Choose a cord according to the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. the engine in this case will greatly overheat and will soon fail. Useful tips:
- For an electrical device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick cord is fine. If you don’t have one, you can use 1.6mm trimmer fishing line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord as well. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a circular cross section. They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with bushes, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated string with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- A rectangular, star-shaped or square grass trimmer line is better for an even cut, but they are not very strong.
- The strongest is the two-part cord with an inner core and a circular cross section.
Types of line for grass trimmer
Note that wire, metal cords and ropes, and ordinary fishing line should not be used instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to come off, causing their ends to unravel and the small pieces to fly apart at high speed.
Chainsaw breakdown troubleshooting
Faults in gasoline trimmers mostly concern the set of devices that drive the blades (starter, carburetor, fuel system, engine, etc.д.). This is often caused by low-quality fuel, failure to comply with the proportions of the gasoline mixture, failure to comply with the manufacturer’s recommendations for the operation of this tool and other reasons.
Before proceeding to disassemble the grass trimmer, you should prepare the necessary tools. You’ll need: various screwdrivers, a sprocket, a puller, a hammer, a spark plug wrench, a locking rod, and wrenches. The disassembly process is often the same whether you have a STIHL FS 38 chain saw or any Bosch model.
Tip! Disassembly is best started at the bottom. There are no complicated parts, and they are easy to unscrew with a screwdriver and sprocket.
To loosen the lower part, loosen some screws on the housing and take it out. If necessary, the stand can be disassembled and generously lubricate all the constituent elements, especially the rope and gearbox.
This is how you disassemble the bottom part of the trimmer:
- A locking pin is inserted to prevent torsion of the shaft;
- cutting parts are removed: the spool with the fishing line can be easily unscrewed by hand, for the other elements a wrench will be required;
- Use a screwdriver to unscrew the protective cover;
- Gearbox or bushing at the end of the boom is removed;
- A cable or shaft is pulled out.
Disassembly of the top is done by removing the assemblies and parts in sequence in this order:
- protective cover;
- gas tank;
- spark plug;
- housing cover;
- ignition coil;
Each assembly is disassembled separately for repair.
The most common ignition problem is a primed plug. To rectify the fault, wipe it off and put it back in place. If the fouling is severe, the part will have to be replaced. The work should be done in the correct sequence:
Coop’s Simple How-To. Restring A Craftsman String Trimmer
- stop the engine and let it cool down so as not to get burned;
- disconnect the wire to the spark plug and unscrew it;
- adjust the gap of the new spark plug and screw the part back on;
- put the spark plug in and tighten;
- put the wire back in place.
Sometimes the ignition coil is to blame for the lack of spark.
This assembly requires regular cleaning, for which it must be disassembled. Mostly the problem lies in such elements:
The gaskets need to be replaced, the seat of the needle needs to be cleaned, and all parts need to be assembled in the reverse order. After repair, the mechanism in question must be adjusted, but such work will be more reliable to entrust to a specialist.
As a side note! Frequent problems with the carburetor have Chinese units. But to help craftsmen who carry out the repair of this unit with their own hands, you can find a complete repair kit on sale.
It is an essential element in the lawnmower’s operation. Its malfunction is mainly the destruction of the coil teeth. Also, there may not be the necessary tension on the cord, which means that the starter is out of order. Spoiled part of the starter is not repairable, and it must be replaced. But minor malfunctions, such as a broken cord or broken spring, can easily be repaired yourself.
Rather serious trouble for brushcutter (for example, Husqvarna 128r) creates a faulty exhaust system. Particular attention should be paid to possible problems with mufflers, the solution of which will prompt the table.
|Assembled||Coking on the muffler and mesh.||Clean with sandpaper, kerosene, detergent.|
|Solid||Soak muffler in special solution for 5 to 6 hours.|
Tip! Some masters for cleaning a muffler often apply the method of burning. directing the flame inside the part. After this procedure, it’s easy enough to tap on it to get the burnt residue to fall off.
Parts that have reached the end of their life or cannot be repaired must be replaced.
This segment of the lawnmower belongs to the category of “difficult” to repair with your own hands. Piston rings or piston packings can be damaged, or the cylinder can be scratched. If there are serious problems in the mechanism, it is cheaper and easier to change the whole unit. Regardless of whether you put a piston or replace the packing, you still have to remove the cylinder. That’s a lot of extra work and expense.
Sometimes you can see traces of oily liquids on the cylinder housing. In this case you can replace the gasket yourself. If you want to eliminate with your own hands any more malfunctions of the piston group, it is possible to change the seals and rings, if the piston and cylinder are not damaged.
Engine failures are directly related to malfunctions in the piston group. It is not always possible to determine the nature of the malfunction. Often you have to go to a service center for help. Generally speaking, an engine repair is a skilled craftsman’s job.
String trimmer weed eater wacker will not start, diagnosis and EASY repair fix free!
Fuel and oil contamination is one of the most common causes of malfunctions with the brushcutter. Sometimes the hoses fall into disrepair, and gasoline begins to leak. Then the tubes should be replaced with new ones, and the system itself should be cleaned of dirt. This can be done quickly and easily.
Replacing the fishing line with a disc
Depending on the type of vegetation covering the garden plot (lawn) and requiring removal, the line for the trimmer changes to a disc. This is necessary because the cord is only used for grass of low height, and if you need to mow tall growth, tree shoots, or shrubs, it is better to use metal or plastic blades-discs instead of a string. Correctly install them is very simple, the detailed process is usually described in the user manual and is similar for trimmers of different brands, whether Al-Co, Oleo-Mac, “Patriot” or equipment of another brand. To change the line on the blades is necessary:
- block the shaft and remove the spool by turning it clockwise;
- put the blade on the sleeve;
- Replace the locking cover and turn counterclockwise the nut and tighten with a wrench.
To read in detail how to change the spool with the fishing line on the disk, you can in the instruction manual of the device.
Design of trimmer head
On the Russian market, the most popular are semi-automatic trimmer heads. A typical representative of mechanisms of this type is a universal semi-automatic head, which is equipped with electric trimmers for grass and lawnmowers of such famous brands as Bosch, Huter, Husqvarna, etc. its design is shown in the picture.
- body (pos.6) with a cover (pos.1) equipped with special eyelets (pos.5) through which the cutting cord is led outside;
- bobbin (pos.3) on which the line for the trimmer is wound (pos.7);
- clamping spring (pos. 4).
There are other, simpler heads.
Algorithm of line winding
Depending on the model of grass trimmer used, you choose the type, thickness and length of the mowing line. The cord diameter can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. It’s not hard to guess that the thicker you wind the cord, the stiffer and thicker you can cut it.
There are 3 ways to know what diameter of fishing line you can use on your mower.
- Refer to the manual of the device for the cord thickness.
- Look at the spool itself. It can be labeled with information about possible line diameters.
- Insert the trimmer line into the socket. If it goes in easily, you can use a cord of that diameter.
The line for the trimmer is wound onto a spool located in the mowing head. It must therefore be opened first (this was discussed above). There are two ways to wind the cord.
The first way
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line are needed for a particular reel, you need to wind it on the reel so that the reel does not exceed the diameter of the boards. If the trimmer line extends beyond the edges of the spool, you cannot insert it into the cover. Once you’ve decided on the length of the material, you need to load it into the spool, so do the following.
- You need to fold the trimmer line in half, so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Note that the spool is divided into 2 parts by the center side, which is where the charging begins. Find the recess on it and insert the cord, bent in half, with a little effort.
- It is very important to determine in which direction the line for the trimmer is wound to the spool. If you look carefully, you may find an arrow on the reel or an inscription with an arrow indicating which direction to wind. There are cases where there is no arrow on the spool. In this situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- The winding should be done carefully, wrapped around the spool, with as much thread tension as possible.
- After the cord is finished, you must first secure the short end of the mowing line by inserting it into a slot of the appropriate diameter on the side of the spool.
- The other end, the genuine one, is installed in the groove on the opposite side of the spool.
- Once you have secured the line, cut it to size leaving an allowance of around 10 cm.
- Next, it is necessary to install the aged spool in the mowing head. To do this, insert and pull the thread through the output holes of the head, insert the spool into the housing, and then, using the necessary force, pull the trimmer line out of the fastening grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put the cover on and secure it with the latches.
READ How to Take the Coil Off an Electric Lawnmower at Home
The second way
Some spools provide a second way of securing the cord: instead of one folded in half, you can charge 2 pieces of cord for the trimmer line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before replacing or loading new thread into the spool, determine how many meters are required as described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find a hole in the bottom of the spool to secure the line to the trimmer, and insert the end of the string, bent into a loop.
- It is necessary to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the desired level, not exceeding the diameter of the spool.
- Do the same for the second spool socket.
- Assembling the head is no different from the method provided when threading the spool, considered with a double piece of fishing line.
For STIHL-brand motor braid There is a very quick and easy way to change the line for your trimmer without disassembling the mower, which you can see by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the case can be cut to the desired length when the piece is installed in the trimmer. There are two ways to do this:
- Turn on the grass trimmer (while spinning, the ends of the fishing line will be cut around the blade attached to the protective cover for this purpose);
- Trim extra ends with scissors so they do not touch the body.
The second method is used if you need to put on a large diameter cord and the cutter can’t shorten it.
If the cord is threaded on the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not long enough, they must be lengthened before starting the machine. This applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mower, when due to insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (it is absolutely necessary to pull the plug out of the socket on the electrical device), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little fishing line for trimmer. After this procedure, the cord can be lengthened by the centrifugal force again if you set the spindle to its maximum speed.
How to change the line for the trimmer in the trimmer and what is the best choice
Since the choice of trimmer for grass we looked at in the previous article, now we will tell you how to correctly fill the trimmer for the grass line, and what better to choose based on the criteria of work.
READ How to adjust the carburetor on the Carver Trimmer
After you have purchased a trimmer for grass and began to use it intensively, at some point there will be a question of replacing the line, as it is the most wearing element in the tool, a saturated exploitation of trimmer for grass will lead to an infrequent replacement of the consumable material.
STAVR TE-1700P operation manual online. page 8
STAVR TE-1700P manual for electric grass trimmer has pages in Russian language.
File size: 268.15 kB. Consists of 17 pages.
You can download a pdf file of this manual: Download PDF
Align the hole in the gear hub with the hole on the shaft. Insert fixing rod (L-key) in hub bore 2. Put the inner flange on the shaft, install the blade, then the outer flange and screw the nut on the shaft. Make sure the blade is installed correctly.3. Hold the locking rod with one hand and tighten the nut with the wrench. Tighten the nut until the blade inner flange is pressed firmly against the shaft hub and then tighten the nut an additional ¼. ½ turn.
Remove the retainer pin.To prevent the grass trimmer from breaking and
Do not start the engine when the blade is inserted-
Remove the blade guard from the cutter blade and keep it for later use.Do not sharpen cutting blade.
alignment, which increases the danger
injuries at work. Blunt chopper-
Place the blade guard on the knife2. Align hole in gear hub with hole in shaft. Insert retaining pin in shaft hole.3. To avoid breaking the blade, hold the blade locking pin with one hand and loosen the blade nut with the wrench by turning it counterclockwise.4. Remove nut, washers, outer flange, blade and inner flange. Save them for later use. Keep the blade out of the reach of children.
Align the hole in the gear hub with the hole in the shaft. Insert the locking pin in the hole in the hub. Put on inner flange. Screw the filament spool onto the shaft, making sure that both ends of the filament are positioned in the output holes of the trimmer head.
Install the protective cover. Remove the locking pin. Do not lose the remaining washers.To remove the spool with the fishing line:
Align hole in gear hub with hole in shaft. Insert retaining pin in hub hole. Unscrew the spool by turning it counterclockwise, remove the spool and the inner and outer flanges.