How to mow properly with a trimmer with a blade
Have you ever wondered? How to mow grass properly with a trimmer. No? And this is an interesting question. Let’s get to the bottom of this.
The grass trimmer is the most versatile tool you’ll ever own. Powerful grass trimmers, which are popularly known as brushcutters, can not only level the edges of your lawn. They can be equipped with metal blades to remove weeds, bulrushes, bushes and even small trees.
As powerful grass trimmers cut larger and tougher plants than conventional electric grass trimmers or curved shaft grass trimmers. Handling and safety precautions will be just as special.
So, how to properly and safely mow with a trimmer:
How to properly use a grass trimmer if the grass is very tall
If you find the grass is very tall when you come to the cottage, you probably won’t be able to mow it in one pass. If you try to mow it right under the root, it will just wind up on the spool. And as a result will block it. That is, the grass trimmer simply will not work. What’s more, it can overheat and malfunction.
If the grass is too tall, you should mow in several stages. First, you have to cut off the top of the plants. Only then mow them to the root.
But in any case, if you get winded, you have to stop work to clean the machine. And only after that should you continue mowing. This prevents the device overheating and breaking down.
Choose the right mowing head
The manufacturer usually provides several blades (usually 3) in addition to his product.
If you work with soft grass, a trimmer line wound on a reel is used as the cutting element. With a speed of 9000 rpm even large lawns can be mowed quickly.
For stronger grass and overgrown areas one of the metal blades can be used, which have a different number of teeth.
For cutting dense weeds, reeds, young bushes the disc with 40 or 80 teeth is designed. Corn, dry weeds with thick stems can be mowed with three- and four-blade cutters.
In order to lay the cuttings in swaths the mower is equipped with 8 blades of blade and the mower itself is fitted with a special comb.
And now more about how to install the cutter. The place where the cutter is attached is called the gearbox. First fix the shaped washer on it with the hexagon socket wrench.
How To Have CLEAN and CRISP EDGING in a LAWN | CONCRETE and ASPHALT
Then put on the blade, aligning the holes in it with the protrusion of the washer. After that, you need to install the top shaped washer on the shaft and screw everything with a nut.
Please note that the thread on the shaft is left-handed, so screw the nut on (and screw the mowing head on) anticlockwise.
Clamp the nut as far as it will go with the wrench that is also included in the delivery set. The cutter can be replaced by doing everything in the reverse order.
How to mow grass with a trimmer with a metal blade
As you move the edge of the mowed area, also move the fuel and the bag.
If the grass has fallen: it is necessary to give a handlebar forward and to mow to the left with a tilt at the handles to the left (sector ~11 hours) and to the right with a tilt at the handles to the right (sector ~1 hour), and do not hurry!, To cut the grass cleanly and not to “dig” in the ground.
While mowing the grass (and turning it), don’t forget to look around!:
- To notice the gestures of others, turn off the engine and remove the headphones,
- To keep children, animals, spectators and assistants at a distance of 15 m from the vehicle.к. when a metal blade collides in the grass with a stationary object, the grass trimmer or lawnmower (brushcutter) can be thrown strongly to the side or turned back, and the grass trimmer blade rotates at speeds of up to 10,500 rpm. and it’s able to cut an arm or a leg. Also, various objects (chips, glass, debris) can ricochet out from under the blade when mowing grass with a trimmer.
How to mow grass correctly with a trimmer (more about mowing techniques)
Engine speed when mowing with a trimmer is set depending on the load on the engine. the thicker the grass and, of course, heavier the engine, the bolder you need to open the “hole” (throttle in the carburetor diffuser).
Always keep the engine RPM slightly above the medium RPM (in order to know which blades of grass to buy). or less gas only according to the total load on the engine. You don’t have to throttle back (and then throttle up again) with every swing of the mower. So and clutch “burn” not long, and edges on the drive shaft can “overtake”, and the total wear and tear grass trimmer (brushcuts) dramatically increases.
Before mowing grass, find out the parameters of the plot
(to know which blades to buy and how much fuel and time to use)
- the density of the grass;
- The hardness of the grass;
- the lodginess of the grass
- grass entanglement;
- (the height and thickness of the grass are not important)
- boundaries of the plot;
- which bumps (how to go in);
- what are the hidden obstacles (remember)
- what not to cut (bushes, flowers, seedlings).
Mowing grass in the summer is a disaster, not just a chore How to use a trimmer. If your yard or area is heavily overgrown with grass, you may be intimidated by it, but this part of the article will help you figure out how to mow grass with a trimmer more easily and less annoyingly.
How to put it on and hold it correctly?
The quality of your work also depends on what technique you use. For proper technique, you need to know how to hold the machine, and for comfort, you need to put it on correctly. The fact that not all grass trimmers are equipped with a shoulder belt. If you have one, you need to put it on so that you are comfortable. There are models of devices whose belt can be uncomfortable, so try to put on a grass trimmer as convenient as possible.
During long hours of work, it sometimes happens that there are back and muscle pain, so the most conveniently worn tool can reduce the amount of such unpleasantness.
Another function is the adjustment of this belt. On the higher quality models, its comfort has been given a special role and made special positions that will allow the operator of the scythe not to be uncomfortable. You can adjust the height of the belt, selecting the right one for you.
Now let’s talk about how to properly hold the machine. Different types of trimmers have different handles. Some have a handle in the form of a bicycle handlebar (which ensures the distribution of the load on both hands). On some machines, you can see the handle in the shape of the letter D. The bike version must be held with both hands, firmly.
Even with the rubber grips, you’d better trust yourself that they will not slip. Hold the D-handle with one hand, with the palm of your hand, for a good grip. This will give you full control of the grip which will have a positive effect on steering.
How to mow with a line trimmer correctly
It is much safer to mow with a mower with a fishing line than with a trimmer equipped with a cord, but it is not always optimal and profitable. The cutting main element (mechanism) should be selected based on the garden plot and the height of the weed.
- Previously, we looked at how to mow with a lawnmower with a fishing line in automatic or semi-automatic mode and manual. In automatic mode, the main cutting element (line for the trimmer) is thrown after each start of the motor device. On the one hand it is very convenient, but on the other hand not very economical, for example, your garden plot is irregular in shape. there are rough corners, jagged edges and at each following transition from place to place, you need to turn off the device, and then re-enable. It is best to use the second, semi-automatic option in this case. This is when the filing of lines in the trimmer, is carried out by pressing a special button located at the bottom of the drum (in the area that cuts the grass). Just press the tip on the ground and the line for the trimmer will be thrown out.
You need high quality electric-welded Radius fittings, Engineering Networks website by the link ingplast.I’ve got them for you. Always available with couplings, elbows, reducers, tees and more. Affordable prices, fast delivery and great wholesale deals. Order RADIUS products now and you won’t regret the quality.
If you are the operator, you must be aware that the length of the cutting line on the reel in the extended (working) state must not exceed 15 cm. This should be long enough for an average trimmer to cut the grass.
What you need to do to mow correctly, easily and quickly with a line trimmer to ensure that the device itself lasts longer than usual.
- Try to keep the cylinder at least 5cm off the ground.
- When you mow taller grass, first mow the top of the grass, and then get closer to the stems to protect your device from breakage and prevent the mower from breaking down.
- When mowing the grass, you must always insert the cutting element (grass trimmer) in the direction in which the spool rotates.
- Lawn grass, which is located near the walls of the garden as a decoration, is best mowed using only the edges of the line, so as not to overload the engine and severely wear it out.
- Every 15 to 20 minutes after work, let the device “rest”.
Preparing the gasoline trimmer for use
Pour petrol (or diesel fuel) into the tank, without overfilling it. Two-stroke trimmer motors require mixing petrol with motor oil (not car oil) in a ratio of 1: 32-1: 50. Know what proportion of oil to mix with petrol for your model. With four-stroke trimmers, you’ll need to fill different tanks with oil and gasoline. again, according to the manual.
Check if the cutter (trimmer line or cord) is ready to work. Before you start, hang the device on your shoulder. all grass trimmers require a belt.
Grasp the handle of the device as indicated in the manual. Some grass trimmers are equipped with a dual handle that resembles a bicycle handlebar. Now perform the following steps:
- Close the air damper;
- Turn on the ignition circuit using the key or button;
- If there is a mini pump on the carburetor. pump some fuel into the engine, making 3-5 pressings on the lever “rocker”;
- pull the starter cord until there is considerable resistance to its movement;
- Pull the cord sharply up to 5 times.
Pt 1 How To Cut Tall Grass with Cheap Lawn Mower. Mowing Tall Overgrown Grass
The engine starts. When you cut the grass use safety glasses or a helmet with a net to prevent grass from blowing in your face.
Care of the appliance
For a long and faultless service life of lawnmower, it is necessary to carry out a number of measures on its care.
- The grass trimmer should be stored in a dry place.
- After each use, the appliance should be cleaned of grass and debris.
- The air filter and radiator grill on the gasoline grass trimmer motor must be cleaned periodically in the manner described in the instruction manual for the technique.
- Keep an eye on the lubrication in the gearbox.
- Wires of electric trimmers must be intact, without breaks or cracks in the insulation. Only use grounded plugs and sockets for plugging in the power supply.
- Coil up all cables after use.
If the gasoline grass trimmer is not needed for a long time, you should empty its tank, let it idle to burn off residual fuel, lubricate the engine. The composite rod must be disassembled, and the joints must be treated with preservative grease to prevent rust. All the nuances of storage and maintenance are explained in detail in the user manual, which can be downloaded in case of loss.
Mowing tall grass with a fishing line
For thick grass stems (weeds) use a stronger grass trimmer with a thicker line. But in areas with large weeds, the ground is often uneven. Grass trimmer motor will stall suddenly if it gets caught in clumps of soil. If you overuse this, you can easily damage your engine. Once you have mowed the top layer, you will see where the grass gets the longest. in deeper areas. Focusing on such “height differences” will flatten the “cut” of the lawn, bringing its appearance closer to the ideal.
The cuttings are suitable as hay and lawn fertilizer. In this way the cutting process can be more easily planned and the cutting process goes faster.
If you have to mow tall grass, consider the following tips.
- The engine should not overload.
- If the line gets tangled in uneven ground or high grass, shut off the engine immediately.
- Do not mow wet grass if you use petrol or diesel fuel.
- Move the grass trimmer straight ahead and to the left, i.e. к. The grass cuttings fall on the previously processed sector. This cuts the top layer of the grass. The lower layers are mowed when you have already gone in the opposite direction.
- If the size of the area to be mowed is large, simply mow one desired zone after another, as you divide the lawn before working.
- Ride it on the outside, so you don’t trample on the cuttings and leave your result inconspicuous.
- Keep mowing lines parallel to one another. It makes it easy to bypass trees in the yard without overloading the engine.
When complying with these recommendations grass will not fly to the sides when working, and the process is simplified and accelerated at times.
Read on to learn how to mow with a trimmer.