Making a cutting machine from an angle grinder with your own hands
Angle grinder (aka “angle grinder”) is a simple and versatile hand tool. But handling an angle grinder requires a steady hand and an excellent eye. A disc that suddenly jams in the material not only moves the cutting line sideways, but can also collapse, which is dangerous.
On the other hand, stationary saw machines are large and massive. It is not easy to drag it right up to the place of work. The advantages of an angle grinder and a stationary circular saw can be combined with a compact device. the attachment, which enables you to clamp the angle grinder securely and use it as a coping saw or even a circular saw.
The material to be cut will be firmly clamped to the machine table. Our angle grinder will be the working tool, firmly clamped to the base plate. This allows the material to be cut quickly and safely exactly along the marking lines.
Observe additional safety precautions
The powerful motor and the working parts, which rotate at high speed, are very dangerous not only for the person at the machine, but also for the people around. Careless work and ill-considered actions can lead to the fact that the workpiece can easily vomit hands. Such a flying workpiece becomes an uncontrollable weapon. This kind of failure can cause the saw blade to break. Small splinters can cause dangerous injuries. To minimize the risks when building a machine, the following essential rules must be observed.
- Do not locate the on/off button on the machine table. It should be placed on one of the side surfaces.
- Provide a touch guard.
- It is forbidden to operate such equipment if it is not reliably fastened to a stable surface.
Additional considerations and recapitulations
The circular saw from the angle grinder must have a strictly defined direction of rotation, i.e.к. Otherwise even special goggles will not save. The lower edge will move towards the worker, while the upper one will move away from him. the sawdust will fly anywhere (especially at his feet), but not into his eyes.
Anyone can make a circular saw, but before you start work, it is worth remembering the disadvantages, in addition, the price of the venture is often comparable to the purchase of a new tool. Modified angle grinders are fitted with 3-tooth cutters produced for such cases.
Construction of a home-made circular saw from an angle grinder
The first variant involves using the tool as a hand-held electric saw with some additional work, i.e. assembly and installation of a stop that limits the depth of the disk penetration into the material, and protects from jerks and sharp movements. There is no way you can do without using the circular sawblade as a cutting-off wheel. the slightest twist will cause the tool to jam, jerk or react in other dangerous ways that can lead to serious injuries.
The simplest way is to install a stop, which is a flat plate that slides on the surface of the workpiece. It is attached to the tool with clamps or bolted to the hole to install the handle. Some masters make a platform of metal corners, located on both sides of the disk at a small distance (2-3 mm).
Circular Saw From Angle Grinder
In any variant the manual circular saw from the angle grinder is too dangerous and does not allow to control the cutting line well because of the protection installed. Do not remove it under any circumstances, because sawdust flying into your face can cause injuries.
Warning! Standard protection, which goes with the angle grinder, is not suitable for use with a circular saw blade. You have to make it yourself.
Creation of a stationary version with their own hands allows you to get a safer and more convenient wood sawing machine, which has almost the full functionality of the usual classic circular saw. The main element of such a machine is a table in which a slot is made for the disk. On the bottom side is attached an angle grinder. It becomes possible to install an adjustable stop that allows you to adjust the width of the cut slats. Depending on the possibilities and the need, you can make a device for facing and cutting of identical workpieces of a given length.
The frequency of rotation of the shaft of the angle grinder is three times the limiting speed of a conventional saw blade, so it quickly dulls and wears out. To create a normal mode of the saw blade, some masters use a reduction gearbox. This allows for optimal rotational speed, reduces the risk of overheating and injury, but greatly complicates the design. It is expensive and difficult to find a gearbox, which is why an angle grinder is usually the only option.
The design usually consists of the following nodes:
- bed (base);
- working table;
- motor and drive shaft (in our case both elements are replaced by the angle grinder);
- stop, designed to adjust the width of the parts to be cut;
- Platform sliding on longitudinal guides, allowing to cut parts of the specified length (optional, manufactured as needed).
Important! If the saw blade is mounted directly on the angle grinder, without a reduction gear, only high speed or carbide types that can withstand severe heat have to be used.
Select rotation system: gearbox or SPD
It is worth recalling that the RPM of the angle grinder is several times higher than the allowable RPM of the circular saw blade.
If we connect the blade directly to the angle grinder shaft, we risk damaging the tool and blunting the blade much faster. This would cause a breakdown in the motor of the power tool. To ensure reliable and continuous operation of the homemade device it is recommended to implement a system of pulleys and belts. Let’s mount the pulley to the angle grinder shaft from one side, from the other side to the saw disk shaft. The angle grinder has a rotational speed of at least 9,000 rpm. up to 11,000. per minute. The saw blade should rotate at 6700-7400 rpm.
It is necessary that the ratio of disc diameters equals the ratio of rotational speeds. If we divide one value by the other we get a factor of 0.7. Based on this, you need to use two discs, and the size of the diameter of the first should differ by 0.7 of the diameter of the second. Install the smaller disc on the shaft of the angle grinder, the larger on the shaft of the disc. All these parts can be purchased at auto store. Belt tensioning system must be provided with the use of belt drives. This can be achieved by firmly fixing the angle grinder on the frame of the machine, attachment and tensioning of the work surface and the disc shaft must be performed after installing the belt.
Let’s consider the order of assembly of the stationary sawmill, as the safest and most functional device. Step-by-step instructions:
- Preparation part. It is necessary to create a working drawing, to think over the design, to specify the dimensions and the set of functions. This step is important, it should not be ignored.
- Purchase and preparation of the necessary materials and tools.
- Assembly of the table base. From a pipe of rectangular section (or angle) is assembled the base for the machine. The pieces are cut to the right length and welded together. It is necessary to ensure the stability and strength of the base. Alternatively, it can be made of wooden parts.
- A piece of woodchip board or plywood is placed on the surface of the base plate to act as a worktable. A slot is made in it for the saw blade.
- From below, an angle grinder is attached to the work table with bent metal plates. Holes are used for screwing handles. Holes are made on the surface of the table, so that the bolt caps do not interfere with the movement of the material.
- For convenience and safety of activating and deactivating the machine it is recommended to lead out the wires from the start button of the tool to the side edge of the table, for this purpose a piece of angle or a bent metal plate is used. The button should be placed as conveniently as possible, so that the circular saw can be switched off in any position.
- The sliding stop, which allows you to adjust the width of cut parts, can be made of different materials. Both the simplest devices are used, like a strip fixed with screw clamps, and more complex designs. There are many variants to choose from, but the choice is determined by the needs of the owner and the nature of the work to be done.
Creation of additional devices requires some experience and skill in the possession of the machine. The specific design of the angle grinder allows you to work about 15-20 minutes, after which a break is necessary for cooling. Given this circumstance, you can not count on a wide functionality.
Compact bench grinder
Above mentioned how to assemble a manual circular saw. Now we will tell you how to turn this device into a stationary. This process involves making a U-shaped bed from a pipe, as well as installing a cross lever. The lower ends of the construction should bend horizontally in the direction of the cut. They are fastened to the table with bolts. Stability is ensured by additional supports.
Arm mobility is achieved by sawing the horizontal segment into two equal parts that are secured to each other with clamps. The saw blade is secured to the vertical element of the bed with clamps.
The use of such structures as home-made saws, equipped with discs, when processing wood, imposes certain responsibilities on their owners.
In addition to a well-fixed table on the floor and a protective cover on the blade, it is necessary to organize the sawing material feed in both directions: from right to left and back. Do not move boards and slats on the frame while the circular saw is in operation by hand, but use a block or its wooden counterpart. It is not recommended to be closer than 25-30 cm to the rotating disc. Keep your hands away from the saw. you could injure your fingers.
Turning on and off the circular saw should be done with a button on either the side or the front of the machine. Do not stand behind or in front of the circular saw blade while it is rotating.
Circular from the angle grinder with their own hands. a professional tool at a significant savings
Angle grinder Bolt Nut Drill Metal angle Pliers Rebar bars Vise Profile pipe Washer
Makeshift angle grinder circular saw
This option is quite expedient, if you have at home the motor from the angle grinder (can be purchased cheaply at construction markets), rectangular profile tube and steel angles. To make a circular saw, you should take care of making a stop for sliding, axial handle and adjusting the rod.
- The standard T-shaped stop requires several metal corners, which will be located about 3-4 mm on each side of the serrated circular saw blade.
- Round the edges of the angles at the bottom. This prevents scratches on the workpiece being cut in the process.
- At the back and in the front, using bolts and nuts, connect the angles with cross ties. The gap between them is fixed with washers.
- Put the metal clip on the housing and fasten it with the screws that are fastened at the bottom.
- Double folded steel or tin strip (at least one millimeter thick) is drilled under the rear stop screw, and then fixed rigidly.
- Attach a slide stop to the back of the structure so that the rear stop post and clamp become a single structure.
- To make sure the clearance between the sides of the stop and the disc is the same on each side, adjust the position of the washers.
- Take apart the tool’s gearbox to find the most suitable areas for drilling.
- Drill 2-4 mounting holes in the gearbox housing, they are needed to fix the homemade axial handle.
We make the axial handle for the circular saw from an angle grinder:
- The handle should be made with our own hands, using a metal rod, pipe or a not wide transverse bracket, since the factory-made handle in our case will prevent an even sawing.
- In the ends of the bracket, which will need to be attached to the gearbox, we drill 4-5 mm fastening holes (with a small margin).
- If you do not use a shackle, you don’t need to compact these ends to prevent the handle from bending during operation. If a bracket is used, only the far end is flattened horizontally. In the holes in the gearbox, mount a piece of tube or bar that protrudes from the front. The shackle must be about 10 cm away from the rod.
How to make an adjusting rod:
- Take a piece of steel rod with thickness of 0.4-0.5 cm. The first end is bent with a hinge and slightly flattened.
- Drill a hole for the front stop pin. The gap across the entire structure must be made equal in width, this is done by placing washers of small thickness on the front of the stop. If the rod is 6 mm thick take more washers.
- In order for the rod to fit into the hole of the axial handle, a thread is cut on the back of it.
- Before you use the circular saw, you should ensure that you can adjust the depth of cut. To do this, the first nut is screwed onto the rod before the two elements are joined, and the second nut is screwed onto the rod after the operation has been completed. Make adjustments by loosening or tightening the nuts.
- Do not forget to check the quality of your work on a test workpiece before you start using the angle grinder saw.
A variation of the table circular saw
- Using a pipe or bar of thickness 1.5-2.0 cm, make the U-shape of the bed, and then attach the lever to the bed.
- To the table frame is fixed by self-tapping screws, before the lower arm is bent in the direction of sawing, strictly horizontal to the movement of the.
- On this piece we put the T-shaped lever, which can be made from a pipe of a greater thickness, so it is possible to rotate it.
- Cut the cross section of the frame in two.
- To make the construction stable, we fix it with clamps, and then install the jambs.
- The manufactured hand saw with a clamp is pulled to the end of the vertical section of the structure.
- If you install an ordinary cutting wheel in the angle grinder, the construction can also be used as a cutting device, but such a tool will not be able to make a cut deeper than 7-8 cm.
Variant of a complete stationary circular saw
Although the main difference between the stationary and desktop circular saw from the angle grinder is the height of the frame, here you also need a detailed design scheme. Next, we’ll look at each feature of making such a circular saw:
- The special table for such a tool must be covered with tin or galvanized iron, otherwise during the time of use of the table, a hole may form on it, provoking an error in the sawing process. A metal 7-8-cm angle will serve as the basis for the cross joints of the table.
- In accordance with safety requirements, above the base of the table saw blade should protrude by no more than a third of its own diameter. Thus, for sawing the bar about 10 cm in thickness you will need an element with a diameter of 35 cm, and a powerful motor (1 kW). If you intend to saw bars thicker than 15 cm, it will be difficult to make a circular saw for this at home.
- A 7-8 cm high angle is taken as a base for the adjustable stop. The length of the angle is calculated based on the length of the table, plus 35-40 cm. Cut one of the shelves from two directions so that the length of the remainder corresponds to the length of the table, and bend the rear parts downwards.
- To attach the fasteners, the lower shelves are drilled for threads.
- We take the previously designed stop, put it on the table, and fasten it with bolts in the position set by the template that runs between the disk and the stop.
- The most responsible unit in a homemade sawmill from an angle grinder is the shaft. It is best to buy it at the construction market, as errors in manual production are inadmissible here. The shaft must be equipped with a place for fixing the disk.
- Ball bearings must be installed by yourself in the trunnions, in order to avoid the penetration of sawdust, protected by caps. The transmission should be of the V-belt type, and condensers should always be of the paper or oil-paper type, capable of withstanding a heavy load. The motor for your circular saw can be a motor from a discarded washing machine, there is a simpler choice.
Now you know how to make a circular grinder from an angle grinder, without resorting to the services of professional craftsmen. Knowing the technology and having a set of necessary tools and materials, you can easily cope with this task. This work is economical and grateful, so it is worth taking this chance!