Construction workers will appreciate: How to work with an angle grinder without dust and dirt
Without an angle grinder (the so-called “angle grinder”) today no construction or repair can do. However, work with this tool is usually associated with the emergence of large amounts of dust, shavings and other waste. Special dust covers, widely available in many stores, are used for their collection and removal. About these devices and how to make them with your own hands, this article will tell.
Dust collectors are useful for all types of construction and repair work performed indoors:
- Cutting through brick or concrete to make a hole for electrical wiring or pipes;
- cutting tiles or drywall;
- scraping and sanding plastered and puttyed walls;
- scraping flooring, etc.д.
The dust and dirt produced by these works used to be removed from the room by hand, which required a lot of time and effort. Nowadays it is done with special construction vacuum cleaners.
But there is also a nuance here: during cutting or sanding debris and dust are flying all over the room and settle on the objects in a fine suspension, making the following cleaning difficult. To overcome this disadvantage and were invented dust covers, connected to the construction vacuum cleaners.
The principle of operation of such a dust collector hood is as follows:
- the disk of the angle grinder is surrounded by a special hood, which does not allow the dust generated during cutting to fly to the sides;
- the hood body is connected to a nozzle which is connected to a vacuum cleaner;
- the dirt collected under the hood is immediately sucked out by the vacuum cleaner during operation.
“The protective hood under the vacuum cleaner is a genius invention. Thanks to him at work, we not only save ourselves from the need to breathe dust and waste time cleaning. We also protect the tool itself from hard particles that can get into the rotating parts and render the angle grinder inoperable.”.
Since angle grinders are multi-purpose tools and perform very different types of work, the design of protective hoods is also different.
The first method of wetting
The easiest way to cut concrete or brick without dust is to wet them with water.
A normal spray gun can be used for this
either a squirt gun (made of a plastic bottle with holes in the lid) or a child’s water pistol/automatic gun.
Spraying of the object should be done directly during the sawing so that the dust would immediately get wet, not having time to fly around.
Because the saw operator has his hands full with the angle grinder, it is quite difficult and inconvenient for him to saw and spray at the same time, and also not safe.
So a second person should do the spraying.
In tandem, all the work can be done fairly quickly and without difficulty.
This method does not require any significant effort, but it does result in a lot of dirt.к. The dust turns into a slurry, spills over the floor, and flies in different directions.
The second method is more efficient and practical.
Types of covers
In stores selling power tools you can find a protective cover for angle grinder with dust extraction. Most manufacturers make them for semi-professional and professional equipment of well-known companies.
The purpose of this additional equipment is an effective dust extraction from the processing zone through the angle grinder. Fastening is carried out on the regular places with a clamp.
The size of the exhaust pipe is equal to the size of the suction hose of the vacuum cleaner. External diameter. 65 mm. Diameter of the opening is 59 mm. The dimensions of the vacuum cleaner are the same as the grinding wheel to be installed. For example, a cover Messer 10-40-441 designed for a wheel diameter of 180 mm. And its dimensions are 245x230x100 mm.
The big disadvantage of purchased equipment is considered a high price. So, the minimum, which is comparable to the cost of budget angle grinder.
But the last resort is a clever trick, and craftsmen at home solved the problem by independently producing additional equipment.
Making a hood for angle grinder to connect a vacuum cleaner
When cutting metal with an angle grinder you get sparks, and when you work with concrete, stone, granite, and other similar materials, you get dust. When you cut wood with an angle grinder, you get a lot of chips in the process.
To process concrete and wood with an angle grinder performed with minimal clogging, you need to make a cover for the angle grinder under the vacuum cleaner.
Such a nozzle for the cutting power tool can be bought, but to avoid the costs will help to self-create a device.
Why do you need a cover?
Before you start working on concrete and wood, you need to imagine what you are going to end up with.
When cutting with an angle grinder dust is generated, which not only settles in the room, but also gets into the respiratory organs of the person. That’s why you should only wear a respirator and safety glasses when working with the tool.
To protect the room from excessive dust, you need to work with a special nozzle, which is attached to the hose from a vacuum cleaner.
Apply the nozzle on the angle grinder should be in the following cases:
- When shaving concrete, brick, cinder block, slate and other similar materials. If the drilling is performed at the construction stage, then the settling of dust in the room is not as dangerous as in the case of repair. When you cut strong materials, they are crushed, which causes the formation of dust, settling all over the room
- Cutting tiles and ceramic tiles. when processing these materials also forms dust, which is especially dangerous for human health. Tiles can be cut with special tile cutters, and it does not generate dust, but if the work is performed by angle grinder, it is better to install a special nozzle
- Woodworking. when sawing wood generates not only dust, but also sawdust, which can be easily and quickly eliminated with the hood installed on the angle grinder
NEW HOMEMADE TOOLS / GRINDER HACK
Manufacturers produce special hoods for angle grinder with disk diameters of 125, 150 and 230 mm. These are the most common types of cutting tools, so it is under them that manufacturers produce special hoods for dust extraction.
!If there is no industrial vacuum cleaner, then use a household vacuum cleaner for dust extraction during the work of the angle grinder is not recommended.
The fact that the cover on the angle grinder is necessary, masters and experts do not even doubt it, because it is enough to try once to make a cut in concrete, to be convinced of the need to purchase or manufacture a dust collector.
What is better to buy or make their own hands guard to collect dust on the angle grinder, here everyone must decide for themselves.
After all, the protective cover is relatively inexpensive, but to avoid the expense at all, then the nozzle should be made by yourself.
How to make a cover for angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner best ways
The advantages of making the nozzle yourself are as follows:
- There is no need to spend money to purchase the device
- It is possible to make the device according to your requirements
- No need to travel in search of the right device
Makita Grinder Dust Shroud Review
There are many options for making a hood on the angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner, and when you make your own, it is not necessary to do such a rigging, which is already invented.
It all depends on personal abilities, capabilities, as well as available material from which you plan to make the nozzle.
To facilitate the work on the manufacture of covers, consider a few options on how to remake an angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner.
Dust extraction from a plastic canister do it yourself
The easiest and most economical option to make a hood for angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner. is to use a plastic canister as the basis. To implement such a variant of the cover, you need to take the appropriate volume of canister. Usually enough one- or five-liter canister, but it all depends on the size of the tool itself.
The principle of manufacturing the hood is simple enough, and to implement it, you must first prepare a drawing on which to produce a dust extraction nozzle. When making it, you need to take into account the following factors:
- The size of the nozzle, which depends on the plunging depth of the cutting disc, is taken into account. The larger the size of the nozzle, the shallower the depth of the resulting cut
- Cut holes of the required diameter depending on the size of the sleeve to install the device on the shaft of the power tool and fix it
- On one side, a hole is made for attaching the unit to the shaft of the power tool. It is not necessary to make a hole on the other side, because dust could seep through, which would reduce the effectiveness of the nozzle
- The neck of the canister is used as a bracket for connecting a hose from the vacuum cleaner. To connect the neck of the canister to the hose from an industrial vacuum cleaner, you should use a coupler or clamp
To make such a device, you will need a minimum of time, effort and money. The result should be a device for carrying away dust when cutting concrete, tile, and wood.
Dust extraction from an old saucepan
If sheet steel is available, it can be used as the basis for making a dust outlet for an angle grinder. When carrying out such work, a welding machine will be needed. If you don’t have a machine, you can use an old aluminum pan to make a dust extraction nozzle. The principle of making a device from an aluminum pot is as follows:
- Use a part of the saucepan with the bottom as the basis. The bottom acts as one side of the nozzle, and the other side is made by bending the sides of the pan
- We recommend using rivets to join the aluminum sheets
- A hole of appropriate diameter is drilled into the wall of the dust canister to fix it to the shaft of the power tool
- To fix the hose from an industrial vacuum cleaner, you need to make a hole on the outside in the side wall, to which to fix the neck of a plastic canister, bottle or plastic tube. It can be attached to the aluminum base using threaded connectors with washers
- A metal clamp secures the connection between the hose and the nozzle
The cover on the angle grinder. Almost a budget-friendly solution to the problem of dust extraction when sanding walls
Today I will continue the theme of repair. Since I started it, in my arsenal of tools has increased significantly and one of them I want to talk about today. If you have ever started a renovation in the secondary, then you know very well that one of the most difficult tasks will be to prepare the room for the actual repair. Anything that doesn’t hold, crumbles or doesn’t like it. it all has to go. And often, it takes much more effort than building a new one. Here I am faced with the problem of cleaning the walls for plastering and puttying. My walls are made of reinforced concrete, and there is a rich cultural layer of plaster, putty, wallpaper, whitewash, and tile adhesive from the 80s. I found two solutions to this issue. either clean peoratorom, trowel and grind with a hand grinder, or clean angle grinder (in the world angle grinder). The first option is quiet and long, and the second is noisy and very dusty. Since I am lazy, I was not satisfied with the first option, and anyway the dirt remains from it, I tried the second one, but I was not long enough. the dust of cleaning the walls from paint over concrete plaster was so much that I could not breathe or even see something.
In general, then I decided to buy a more powerful vacuum cleaner, after watching videos on youtube, where builders show master classes. Almost everywhere the vacuum cleaner was a permanent resident of the construction site. But buying a vacuum cleaner is half the battle. The vacuum cleaner still needs to be connected to the tool.
I was going to do cleaning and polishing with a small 125 mm angle grinder. I have a 900-watt Skil with a small gearbox and theoretically its power is not enough, but I decided to try. A quick study of the question showed that there are in nature a special dust shrouds, in particular Bosch (in my idea, Skil is a daughter of Bosch and the hoods should be compatible), DeWALT, Milwaukee, and more at Interskol. The first options were very expensive. from 2700 for Bosch, and then out of stock for that money. Interskol in the price lists is for 1300, but is not available anywhere and when will be. no idea. Of course, there are a lot of videos on the Internet about how to make a cover from a sewage flange and a suitable cup, but I wanted a ready-made version.
On Ali it was found on request Dust Shroud. But the price tag of 30-40 bucks scared me away. And then surprisingly, the same request on Banggood resulted in a cheaper housing. That’s what I ordered, plus I found a coupon somewhere for a discount, I even did not have to spend points. Casing arrived in 20 days by China post, was packed in a box, enclosed in a package. In principle, arrived okay, a small piece was chipped from a removable part, but nothing critical, the work does not affect.
Let’s have a look at the casing itself.
The cover is universal for size 4-5″. That is, it is technically suitable for cylinders under a circle of 115-125 mm. Versatility is achieved by mounting. There are three radial grooves in the cover, where the hooks move. Tighten the worm clamp threaded through them. the hooks are drawn to the place of attachment of the standard cover on the angle grinder. I forgot to measure the diameter of the dust cover. it is about 20-25 mm, a little small, but the capacity of the 125th disc is not so great.
From below you can see the slots. The edges of the housing are framed with a brush around the circumference, which is needed to trap dust and provide a closer fit of the nozzle to the surface to be treated. Let me tell you right away, the brush is a little crooked and with a gap in one place. A little later in the photo will be seen better. You can also see the screw heads. They are needed to adjust the depth of the housing in relation to the tool.
The harder the screws are tightened, the deeper the cup body sits and the working edge of the jig can be set flush with the brush, and the adjustment range is quite good, you can use it for different types of jigs with different depths.
To be able to climb into the corners with the tool, you can dismantle the part of the housing with a brush, sliding it down.
Let’s try it on the angle grinder:
Didn’t fit perfectly. But there’s a price to pay for versatility. I have the hooks in the gearbox and only in one position the housing sits more or less straight. I tried to put a cup under the sanding wheels on the velcro. You can see that the bristles are clearly defective in one place:
Then I hooked up the vacuum cleaner. Included with it was a stepped crossing bar, but it did not fit. the first step is small, and the second does not fit anymore. I wrapped some cloth tape and the adapter of the first stage stood firm. After installing the larger diamond cup it became clear that the housing is not centered and, alas, I was not able to align it. the hooks just rest on the gear housing. This is how the unit looks ready to work:
The housing turned out better than I expected. I was worried that dust would fly from under the hood, especially from the hook slots. But no, there is almost no dust, unless, of course, you chew on the wall at an angle. The vacuum cleaner consistently pulls the dust out of the work area, a little dust around because of the scrapes in the brush. Theoretically, the problem can be solved by winding around the perimeter with masking tape. I saw such an advice somewhere on YouTube.
To summarize. The tool is undoubtedly useful. Pros: 1. Works as advertised; 2. Versatile. allows you to work with multiple grinders and accessories with different depths; 3. There is a removable sector to work in the corners.
But there are some disadvantages: 1. The plastic is rather brittle. It should not be dropped, and you have to be careful; 2. The quality of workmanship brushes stitches. Part of the dust flies out because of it; 3. Not the most convenient mounting, the hooks rest on the gearbox. If the gear case is big, it is possible that the cover cannot be placed properly.
In general, for home use at small volumes. will do. But no more than that. If you need one for more serious work, try to find the hood from Interskol, the price is not much more expensive it should be of higher quality.
Making an angle grinder attachment for a vacuum cleaner
When you work with an angle grinder, you get a lot of dust and debris. To make the process as clean and comfortable as possible, you need a special casing, which collects dust and through a pipe takes it to the construction vacuum cleaner.
for such a nozzle in stores are quite high, so we suggest you make it yourself from penny materials.
At the bottom of the plastic bucket mark out a circle with a pencil.
As a template for the circle we use a diamond grinding bowl on the concrete.
Next, in place of the marked circle to make an even hole.
It can be drilled or cut, but it is more convenient and faster to simply melt the hole with a suitable diameter metal tube heated over a fire.
Remove the metal cover from the angle grinder and the washer that holds it. The cover itself will be put aside, it is not needed, and screw the bolts that hold it in place.
On the head of each bolt put a small piece of tape sticky side up. After that we press the bottom of the bucket to the bolts. Scotch tape will stick to the plastic and mark the places where you need to make holes.
Furniture self-tapping torch and melt the holes in the planned places with the help of scotch tape.
Screw the bucket and the sanding cup.
Measure the height of the guard with a tape measure. Let’s set this value around the entire circumference of the bucket and cut evenly.
Assemble the angle grinder by attaching the plastic cover and the sanding cup.
All around the circumference of the plastic cover we make small cuts, about 5-7 mm high. Bend the edges outward a little.
Now we need to make a hole for the pipe, through which the vacuum cleaner will remove dust.
To do this, we put the pipe to the bottom of the bucket and trace it with a pencil. Then inside the circle we make cuts, as shown in the photo below.
Heat the plastic with a construction hair dryer so it becomes malleable. Insert the spigot into the prepared hole, making sure that it is tightly secured with plastic tabs.
Let’s cut off edges of petals, again we put a branch pipe in its place. We put a metal clamp and tighten it.
Pendulum-type cut-off machine
The platform for the machine is made of sheet steel. For the pendulum arm will suit a profile tube, to which a cross shaft is strictly perpendicularly welded. Two bearing units are pressed rigidly onto this shaft at both ends. After that the pendulum grinder is welded on.
Metal pendulum cutting machine schematic diagram
A bracket is made of a steel strip to attach the gear case of the universal joint grinding machine. Holes are drilled around the edges and in the center for attachment. To ensure a rigid fixation of the case to the pendulum a clamp is made of a steel bar. Metal clamping plate is fixed with bolts. Prepared U-shaped bracket is attached to the bracket.
The bracket with clamp and mounting for the angle grinder is welded to the pendulum arm and the safety guard is installed at the same time. For automatic return of the angle grinder to its initial position the return spring is used, which must be selected according to the weight of the angle grinder.
After the machine is assembled, it should be turned on and idle to check for vibrations, backlash. Then cut a slot for the cutting tool with a cutting wheel of maximum thickness. The platform is bolted with stops for the main cutting directions. 45° and 90°.
Casing for angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner with their own hands
Carrying out repair work in the apartment with a mechanized tool is always accompanied by abundant dust emission. Usually two types of tools are used for the work: an electric drill or peorator and for everything else angle grinder, angle grinder. Effective way to combat construction dust is considered a hood for angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner.
Causes of dust formation
angle grinder is a universal tool. With its help, using a variety of nozzles, you can cut metal, stone, ceramic granite and tile, handle wood and other materials. But one of the disadvantages is the formation of a huge amount of dust.
Work that generates a lot of small debris:
- Grooving in the walls. The works are performed on plaster, and cement and sand have a fine fraction. The height of the ducts is at one and a half or two meters. From this height, the dust settles evenly over the entire area of the room.
- Sanding of wooden structures. Before painting or varnishing, wood products must have the cellulose fibers, which are produced during the sawing process, removed. Cellulose is thin, lightweight and hangs in the air for a long time.
- Removal of old paint coatings. Old paint must be removed before fresh paint can be applied. A flap wheel is used. The paint it removes is very fine.
- Cutting of floor and decorative ceramic tiles. Sintered ceramics have a fine grain structure, and it penetrates everywhere.
- Sanding parquet or hardwood floors. the floors are levelled by removing the top layer. Roughness varies in height and therefore, besides chips, a lot of wood dust is generated.
Dust must be removed from all possible crevices and cavities upon completion of the repair. To protect neighboring rooms from construction dust, protective screens made of polyethylene film or light fabric are installed in doorways. Also, special devices are used, which you can make yourself.
In stores selling power tools, you can find a protective cover for angle grinders with dust extraction. Most manufacturers make them for semi-professional and professional equipment of well-known companies.
The purpose of this additional equipment is an effective dust extraction from the machining area by means of the angle grinder itself. Fixing is carried out on regular places with a clamp.
The exhaust pipe is the same size as the vacuum cleaner’s suction hose. Outer diameter. 65 mm. Diameter of the hole is 59 mm. The dimensions of the vacuum cleaner correspond to the installed wheel. For example, the cover Messer 10-40-441 is designed for a wheel with a diameter of 180 mm. And its dimensions are 245x230x100 mm.
The big disadvantage of purchase tooling is considered to be high price. So, the minimum, which is comparable to the cost of budget angle grinder.
But the last resort is a clever trick, and craftsmen at home solved the problem by selfmade additional equipment.
Make a cover for angle grinder for a vacuum cleaner with their own hands is not difficult. You only need to approach the problem with imagination. There are a lot of materials for manufacturing:
The optimal variant is considered the one that does not require the use of a welding machine.
A less expensive way to make it is to use the standard safety device. To it you just have to attach the side cover and the spigot. To make the side cover you can take a piece of galvanized steel and then proceed as follows:
- Cut galvanized steel strips 15 mm wide and 30 mm long to make corners. Then bend them at right angles in the middle.
- In the side of the open part of the shell drill holes with a diameter smaller than the thickness of the self-tapping screws. Through these holes, fix the angles we previously made.
- Cut the side covers out of the galvanized steel.
- Drill a hole near the edge for the side outlet.
- The spigot can be made by bending a piece of sheet metal into a tube. You can use self-tapping screws or clamps to fasten the edges together.
- One edge of the branch pipe must be notched in several places. And bend these sections.
- Insert the pipe into the cover that you have cut out and fix it with self-tapping screws.
- Also use self-tapping screws to fasten the obtained construction to the brackets.
- Attach the construction to the angle grinder.
- The connection to the vacuum cleaner is made by means of a corrugated hose. Use a clamp to secure the connection.
That’s it, the angle grinder with hood for vacuum cleaner is ready to work.
Plastic canister model
After changing the oil or pouring antifreeze in the car in the garage always remain plastic canisters. Thick walls and straps in the corners allow the canister to hold its shape without deforming. The size of the canister mouth is also almost equal to the size of the vacuum cleaner hose.
Before cutting, the plunging depth of the cutting wheel must be taken into account. Installed dust trap will prevent sinking. You can use the original hood as a base.
- First use a marker pen to mark out the holes.
- Use a sharp utility knife to cut out holes and cut off unnecessary pieces. It is advisable to fit the hood on both sides of the angle grinder. This is just in case it becomes necessary to reverse the direction of rotation.
- The hose is connected to the neck with a clamp.
- The Dust Extraction Attachment for angle grinders is made with a clamping ring and an adapter ring.
- To close the not used planting hole, you need to cut a circle of larger diameter and fix it with self-tapping screws.
Tile cutter attachment
To cut ceramic tiles, constant monitoring is required. The hood for the angle grinder completely obscures the view. Transparent material for the hood.
It is not always possible to find a ready-made angle grinder hood with dust extraction, because not all products have the same connection dimensions. In addition, they are not always available. The third limiting factor is the price. the Metabo GED125 costs 3,800, and the Bosch GWS 22-230 costs 13,800, which is twice the price of the angle grinder itself. Such force the owners of the angle grinder to think about the independent manufacture of protection against dust, especially since this event is not particularly difficult.
Important! Homemade protection is used only for small saws with a disc diameter of 115, 125 and 150 mm.
People with a technical mindset invent similar devices and remake for this purpose the containers that happened to be on hand. The result is quite workable, though unsightly in appearance, devices. They perform the assigned tasks not at all worse than industrial samples, and cost almost nothing. Consider some options:
Makeshift casing from a pot
Of the old pan can be made his own hands shells under the grinding of concrete, and under the cutting wheel or hole punching.
- it is only necessary to choose the diameter according to the size of the disk (2-3 cm more). The easiest way is to put the disk to the bottom, choose the optimal position and mark the center with a marker;
- then cut off a segment that determines the amount of disc out of the housing;
- around the intended center is outlined a circle, the diameter of which corresponds to the landing size of the angle grinder;
- The hole is drilled along the marked center and the rays are notched from the center to the edges with metal scissors. The resulting petals are bent outward, forming a planting diameter for installation on the angle grinder;
- A metal clamp of the appropriate size is taken and carefully welded to the bent petals. Tried on the angle grinder and made a final fit;
- A cutting disk is installed and its position with about 1 cm to spare is marked on the walls of the pan. Then cross cuts are made from the edges to the marked line, and the resulting petals are bent inward. Excess parts are cut off with metal scissors;
- External wall is fastened to the bent petals by any available method. welding, bolting, screwing with wire. The material can be metal sheet, plastic, etc. д.
- The vacuum cleaner access hole is marked on the side of the cowling. The spigot itself can be made of plastic sewer pipe, or made of metal. The spigot is inserted into the opening, attached in an accessible way. by welding, screwing with a wire, etc.п.
The homemade hood for grinding is made even easier. the canister of the desired diameter is installed on the planting hole, is cut in height so that the grinding disk of the angle grinder was completely covered by the rest of the. Then the perimeter petals are notched about 5-10 mm high and bent outward. On them a foam gasket for doors or windows is fastened, which provides tightness of the cover. It remains only to make a hole in the bottom close to the fitting hole and to attach the connector for the vacuum cleaner. The hood is ready.
Plastic bottle-canister from technical liquids is convenient, because it already has almost ready outlet for a vacuum cleaner. The neck of the canister is well connected with the hose, all that remains is to choose the right amount of protrusion for the disk and make a hole in the side flat part of the canister. You will need a clamp with an adapter ring that connects the container with an angle grinder. This element is important, so you need to make it as carefully as possible, otherwise the dust cover will fall off the seating diameter of the angle grinder when working. In the narrow side part there is a slot for the disk.
Such a cover is simple, lightweight and requires little time to produce. Old canisters lying around in any garage, finding them is not a problem. You only need to spend a little time and labor.
for factory models of protection are too high, so the vast majority of craftsmen use self-made. They do not require expenditure, are made from improvised materials and perform their job well. It takes a few hours to produce, but the benefit derived from such products is great and fully justifies the effort and time spent.