Bed for cutting sheet steel
Pull the angle grinder should be in the direction opposite to the direction of the flight of sparks, otherwise the tool will undermine with a high probability of jamming.
Making a homemade machine from an angle grinder features
Make your own machine from the angle grinder is not difficult to. And the variety of manufacturing options are many, which depends on available improvised materials and imagination. There are two types of cutting stationary machines from the angle grinder:
- Simple. it is so called for one reason, which is not only the simplicity of manufacturing, but also the minimalism of the device itself. The tool is attached to the workbench with additional materials, and you can operate it
- Complex. such machines are rational to make, if it is planned to use it often for different actions. In most cases, for a home garage the simplest device, which takes a little time, effort and consumables, is enough
In order to make a cutting machine from an angle grinder with your own hands, you will need consumables, which are metal plates, as well as profiles and fasteners. bolts, nuts and washers. The only special tools required are an electric drill and a welder. For more details on how to make the simplest version of a cutting machine from an angle grinder, see below.
Necessary tools and materials
Getting down to making a cutting machine, you should understand that the accuracy of its operation is directly related to the stability of the design. So the choice of material of a certain thickness is not so much dictated by the strength requirements of the body, but rather by the need for its rigidity.
Before you start work, you have to prepare:
- profile tube “square” (25x25x2,5 mm);
- Rectangular profile pipe (40x20x2,5 mm);
- Sheet metal thickness of 4-5 mm;
- ball bearings 02, 203 or 204. 2 pcs.;
- calibrated rod with a thickness equal to the diameter of the hole of the inner ring of the bearing (up to 100 mm);
- a rod with diameter of 8-10 mm;
- Metal tire (20×4 mm);
- M8 or M threaded bolts and nuts.
- angle grinder;
- drill or drilling machine, a set of drills;
- a set of dies for cutting metric threads;
- open-end wrenches;
- welding machine.
To make the machine, it is better to choose an angle grinder from a well-known manufacturer
The main unit of the cutting machine is an angle grinder. It is not recommended to use a “small” angle grinder, which is designed for cutting discs with a diameter of up to 125 mm with a power of up to 500-600 W. Remember that the larger the diameter of the cutting wheel, the more versatile and reliable the machine will be.
Careful choice of power tools is also due to the large variety of designs of lathes on the market. Since such equipment is not unified, the cutting machine is built for a particular model and size angle grinder. If the equipment is unreliable, when it fails, it will be difficult to install another angle grinder in its place without having to redo the mounts and pendulum. That’s why it’s better to choose products from trusted manufacturers. Makita, Bosch and so on.
Makes a stand for the angle grinder
This is probably the most needed machine for the garage. Of course, if you use the garage is not only for storing cars. It’s a lot of complicated work, but it’s worth it.
Mark the edges at a 45 ° angle and cut off.
We make a square and weld at each side, then all the seams are welded.
Grind first with a simple wheel, and then with a petal.
From a 30×30 pipe we make the legs. Hold them in position when welding will help magnetic angle.
It is necessary to nail and drill 10mm diameter holes in two pieces of pipe.
On one side of a square find the center, on an equal distance from it we will fix legs of a rack.
Nail the pieces with a magnetic angle to the base and weld. The distance between them is about 6 cm.
We cut a stopper for the top of the structure and also weld.
Clean thoroughly each new part.
Now we make a lever. We take an elongated nut, attach it alternately to both sides of a profile piece and go around.
Using an angle grinder cut the hole according to the marking.
Screw this nut on the bolt and, with the help of an angle grinder, weld it in place.
From the front side of the nut we mount a cover cap. The gaps are welded.
Now we need to make the ears. Mark off and drill holes on 4mm thick steel.
Attach these ears to the angle grinder with washers on both sides.
Now we weld the ears to the lever. Nail weld together with the angle grinder, then remove the tool and weld seams completely.
Attach another pipe for the clamp installation. It will perform the role of adjusting the slope of the wheel.
We make the clamp from a 2mm thick strip of steel. First, we bend it by hand, then, using a hammer and vice, we give it the necessary shape.
Drill 8 mm holes in the clamps. Grind it, put bolts in, tighten the nuts, put pressure on the nuts, stretch the bolts and weld.
We’ll drill a hole in the lever, where we’ll put the axle with an 8mm thread. We’ll weld it on.
Remove the clamp with the axle and complete the connection. This axis will adjust the angle of inclination.
Then we weld the crosspieces. We use an angle, level and bolts to set the distance and weld it on.
Lengthen the arm a little. It will be used to fasten the handle.
We’ll weld a nut to the plate and seal the hole with it. Then instead of the bolt here will be the handle from the angle grinder.
Fix hooks to fix the spring. All open edges are to be welded over with metal.
Make three holes in the angle, on which the material will rest. And drill the holes for the mounts. There will be also welded nuts for bolts at the bottom.
To make a clamping device, we weld a bolt to an extended coupling nut.
We outline the future workpiece on a piece of profile and drill a hole M8 for a stud.
In the prepared profile insert the rod and swivel.
A long stud bolt and nut are welded to the base and the swivel part is put on top of it. Cut off the excess, put on the nut and weld a piece of steel rod to it.
Materials and tools
The easiest way to make a homemade cutting machine from the angle grinder and grinders that can use circles of different diameters. Choosing the used angle grinder, it is necessary to remember that the models that can work with discs with a diameter greater than 150 millimeters, are versatile in use, and such a machine can cope with the processing of various sized lumber. Optimal power output angle grinder is 800 watts or more.
Bed and bracket are made of metal angle bars, which are welded or riveted together. The quality of fixation of the angle grinder should be given due attention, because later in the processing of materials it is on the available mount has an increased load, which can lead to breakdowns of the pendulum mechanism.
In order to understand how to make a cutting machine from an angle grinder (angle grinder), you can look at various drawings on the Internet.
But they will little help, because all the dimensions of parts still have to pick up, based on the dimensions of available to you the angle grinder.
Variants of execution of devices can be both simple and more complex, requiring the ability to handle a welding machine.
Making Angle stand For Grinder DIY
To make this attachment for the angle grinder, you need the skills of a welder. So, you need to do the following.
Scraping a lathe bed with an angle grinder
First cut 2 small pieces from the angle (50×50 mm). Their size is selected on the basis of the dimensions of the gear unit of your angle grinder.
Next, drill 14 mm diameter holes in them and bolt the corners to the angle grinder, as shown in the following photo. If you do not have suitable bolts, you can use stud bolts with M14 threads. Just be careful that the bolts are not too long. Otherwise, in some models of angle grinder they may cling to the impeller, located in the gear housing.
Without removing the angle grinder corners, weld them together. After that, the corners can be removed and well welded.
Deburr the welds with an angle grinder.
Then you need to make a rotating support for the arm on which the machine will be fixed. To do this, pick up 2 pipes of such diameters that one could effortlessly enter the other.
For a more precise cut, you can glue masking tape on the tubes and draw a fishing line on it.
Then, turning the tube, carefully cut it angle grinder. Cut the tube with the smaller diameter 20mm shorter (2 bearing thicknesses). this will act as a spacer.
Match the thicker pipe with the 2 bearings that match its inside diameter. After that, insert the thin tube into the thick tube and press the bearings on both sides.
Then insert the stud in the bearings. Be sure to put a washer in front of the nut.
When the swivel is ready a small piece of angle piece should be welded to it.
In the next step make the rack for the swivel mechanism from the same 50x50mm angle. To make sure the pieces are the same length, the angle can be clamped and trimmed.
- Also, without unscrewing the clamp, you can drill them at once.
- Attach the drilled angles to the ready-assembled swivel block using nuts.
- Weld a longer corner to this post, as shown in the following pictures.
Now it is necessary to determine the length of the lever, which will be attached to the angle grinder. This is done by the method of selection, based on the dimensions of your angle grinder. You can lay out on the table details and calculate the approximate size of the lever, which is better to do from 2 sections of a square profile tube 20×20 mm.
- The pipes should also be clamped with a clamp and cut to the same size.
- When all the parts are ready, they can be welded together, as shown in the following photos.
- In the next step, you can attach the angle grinder to the finished construction and check again.
The finished pendulum mechanism for the angle grinder is easily installed on any flat surface, such as a workbench. It is also possible to install this construction on a specially made table for it. For a more rigid attachment of the mechanism you can weld small portions of angle bars on both sides of the long angle bar and drill holes in them.
It is very important to set a right angle between the plane of the cutting disc and the plane of the table. Place the angle on the table and move it to the abrasive wheel mounted on the angle grinder.
If initially you were able to weld the fixture so that the angle between the planes was 90 degrees, it is good.
If you notice a deviation from the right angle in one direction or another, then you can fix the situation with a crowbar or a long profile tube, for example, 60×20 mm.
To prevent the workpiece from shifting when cutting, you can screw an angle to the table to serve as a stop. Also for precise cutting the table is easily improved by a simple vice made from welded to it a nut and screwed into it a stud of the required length.
Next you need to make a protective cover. It is made taking into account the maximum diameter of the cutting disc, which is allowed to put on a particular model of angle grinder. To make it easier to determine the size of the hood and places for mounting it, you can first make a template, for example, from a piece of cardboard.
- You need to cut 2 pieces of sheet metal for the future cover.
- Screw an aluminum angle piece to one of the workpieces. With its help, the hood will be attached to the rod of the device.
- Screw the 2 halves together.
- Drill holes on the pendulum mechanism rod for the bend that will be attached to the guard, thread them and screw on the guard.
In this case the guard will also serve as a limiter for the cutting tool, preventing it from sinking too deep into the table when machining the workpiece.
It is not superfluous, if for a lever with an angle grinder attached to it to make a spring-loaded. In this case it is simple: insert a smaller tube from the back of the boom and attach the spring to it as shown in the following photo.
Another version of the device for the angle grinder, with which you can cut metal workpieces, is made as follows.
- Take 2 pieces of profile tube of the same height and weld them to the pre-cut sheet metal rectangle.
- Drill holes in the 2 uprights and in the lever (length to be selected experimentally), and then secure the latter with a bolt, as shown in the photo below.
- Attach a spring to the back of the lever.
- In the intended place of attachment of the angle grinder on the boom, drill a through hole.
- Now you can mount the angle grinder on the table.
That’s how you get a simple cut-off machine. To give additional rigidity to the attachment of the machine to the lever, you can use clamps, laying between the body of the angle grinder and the pipe, for example, a wooden bar.
For precise cutting, so that the workpiece does not move, it is necessary to screw an angle to the table.
- For a small angle grinder will also suit a similar version of the device, only fastened to the angle grinder will be on a metal strip: on one side with a bolt to the very angle grinder, and on the other. with a clamp.
- For a powerful angle grinder attachment is made on the same principle, but from profiles of a larger size than in the pictures above.
It is not necessary to use dumbbells as a counterweight. It is enough to find a suitable spring.
This version of the device is the easiest to make with their own hands. It is made without the traditional support (stand) for the swivel block. You will need only one door canopy, a metal strip and a rubber band (you can use a rubber band from a hand grip).
The design is made as follows:
- In the metal strip on one side drill holes under the door canopy, and on the other. under the bolt, with which the strip will be attached to the angle grinder;
- Screw the angle grinder and the awning to the strip;
- Screw the canopy to the table;
- fasten one end of the rubber band to the edge of the table and the other end to the holder (handle) of the angle grinder.
In just a few minutes you will get a quality cutting machine. This device is also mobile, because it can be carried around in a toolbox, and, if necessary, mounted on any flat surface.
Installing this attachment, do not forget to fasten the corner of the table for the workpiece to rest in it.
Cutting sheet metal with an angle grinder
To cut sheet metal, you will need to purchase a special carriage that moves on a guide (a square profile tube).
But as practice shows, the cost of a good carriage is high (more than 100 dollars), so you can make it with your own hands. Since this process is quite complicated to describe, you can understand the technology of making this slider from this video. Not only steel, but also ceramic tile and porcelain tile can be cut with this machine.
Note that cutting ceramics generates a lot of dust. That’s why it is recommended to fit the hood of the angle grinder with a dust collector with a nozzle for a vacuum cleaner.
How to make a homemade dust collector
After these simple steps, you can use the angle grinder to handle materials that create a lot of dust when cutting.
Design your own version of the bed under the angle grinder
Taking as a basis the above set of the frame under the angle grinder, everyone will be able to modify the design for their own needs. Especially since many of the parts of the homemade device can be used from other mechanisms. For example, the base of a table-top drilling machine or a discarded plate from a small universal assembly machine (UAS), which already has t-slots, will be quite suitable as a supporting frame.
The work includes the following steps:
- Development of technical specifications and drawings. The main parameters of homemade frame for the angle grinder will be the maximum diameter of the working disc, the dimensions of the angle grinder itself and the largest cross-section of the workpiece to be worked with.
- Selecting of blanks for the base. Here the cross-sectional dimensions of the parts are taken into account, as well as the material of which they are made. For example, the welded version is less reliable because of periodic vibrations and dynamic loads, so mild steels are preferred to steels like St.5, 45 steel, etc. п., whose mechanical strength is higher. For the same reason, tubular sections are more practical than angles or I-beams.
- Making a fixture, based mainly on one’s own capabilities (although a number of parts, in particular, for measuring dimensions, elements of fastening the angle grinder on the stand, etc.). д. better to be ordered at a professional workshop).
- Final finishing (stability test, painting, possibly. heat treatment), as well as the installation of the control system.
Provide a bed for the angle grinder for the future, t. е., The following table is intended to demonstrate the suitability of the equipment for all the operations that can be carried out with it, and also for all the operations that any angle grinder is intended to carry out.
The following questions will be discussed under the assumption that all components of the frame will be made from scratch. The following design could, for example, be selected as the basis (see graph below). fig. 1).
From Fig. 1 it follows that the base frame of this version consists of:
- A support frame, which can be further mounted on a workbench or any flat surface. The frame is welded from profile pipes with high stiffness, also in case of vibrations.
- A round universal assembly fixture with 8 mm grooves, on which products weighing up to 12 kg can be mounted. A rotary table with a handwheel screw adjusting mechanism and a counting dial is mounted on the UFP. As a turntable can be used the hub from any car, which will fit in size.
- The table made of thick sheet metal with mounting holes.
- Locksmith vise for the workpiece to be machined (cantilevered to balance the tilting torque from the USP).
- A vertical stand welded to the frame, to which the angle grinder itself is attached.
- of return mechanism.
- Swivel arm with tool mounts.
The rotary table itself is equipped with a ruler that should count angular and linear movements. Its location is shown in Fig.2. Instead of a factory-made reference ruler according to the drawings, you can also make a homemade one, using a set of two ordinary metal rulers, and an angle gauge. For less complex jobs a small angle gauge is also suitable.
Figure 2. View of the work table in the mounting position
1 gadget. 3 tools ■ Angle grinder hack ■DIY
When you make a table with your own hands should provide a radius rounded corners and the ability to move the locksmith’s vice without disturbing the overall alignment.
Stand for angle grinder with their own hands, drawings of the bed
If you have ever worked with an angle grinder, you already know all its disadvantages. The main in this case is not high precision of cutting samples, if you do the work manually. The passage of such a problem is quite difficult, which is especially relevant during the need to create several elements with the same general parameters.
If you take into account vibration and backfire, then the stationary unit, of course, in the work is more stable. But buying a machine for industrial production can’t be used for its intended purpose at home. So the simplest model of the machine will cost about 22 500.
And what, in fact, are we talking about?
Only traditional designs of aggregates for exact cutting of sheet, coil and long materials are known in tens, not counting laser and others. From the age of high technology. We will further consider the machines with oscillating working module and circular rotating cutting organ. abrasive or saw blade. Such cut-off machines are called pendulum machines. They are the most universally applicable (incl.ч. are suitable for drawing. making longitudinal cuts of limited length) and can be done independently in the shed or garage. When they say “pendulum cutter”, they usually mean a pendulum cutter (pendulum cut grinder in English, pendulum cut grinder in most cases).).
Motor or angle grinder?
It refers to the drive of the machine. separate or combined in a monoblock with the working (cutting) tool and the power transmission to it. A separate motor has the advantage that the oscillating part of the machine. rocker (pendulum, rocker arm) can be properly balanced, which greatly simplifies the work on the machine and increases its productivity; the latter depends comparatively little on the resistance of the material to cutting
In addition, the whole machine can be made suitable for intensive round-the-clock work, which can be important for profiteers with the right hands and the right head. The angle grinder (angle grinder) is known to work continuously for 20-60 min
(depending on model), followed by forced downtime for tool cooling. But for occasional use, the angle grinder has a number of advantages:
- A sufficiently rugged and accurate cut-off machine from the angle grinder can be made without turning parts and with little or no welding work, see. more.
- The basic tool remains suitable for off-machine manual work.
- Power supply. 220 V single-phase from a household socket.
- No starting devices and protective grounding are required, since.к. Only the double insulated angle grinder is widely available on the market.
- The external characteristic of a collector motor angle grinder is softer than a squirrel cage induction motor, which saves motor power and electricity consumption. In most cases (except for cutting thick tough and/or ductile materials), you can assume that an 800 watt electric angle grinder is equivalent to an asynchronous motor with 1.2 kW on the shaft (see. further), and the angle grinder at 1300 W. a separate motor at 2.2 kW.
- Angle grinders are lighter, more compact and transportable than those with a separate drive.
- Inexpensive angle grinder is not equipped with speed regulators, but they fit the usual speed regulator for a drill (no more than 20; usually 5. 6). “A frequency converter for an asynchronous motor up to 2.5 kW costs from 50.
About speed control
Why do you need to adjust the speed of the blade?? Do not exceed the maximum edge speed and/or RPM specified on the machine. Otherwise, the disk may not tear, but its performance will drop dramatically, wear will increase, and cutting quality will deteriorate. The rated speeds of asynchronous motors 2800-2850 min-1 allow the use of ordinary discs with a diameter of 350-400 mm or more, which gives the cutting depth of at least 150 mm. the spindle of the angle grinder rotates much faster (from 6000 min-1), and it is dangerous to put a usual disk with diameter over 160 mm on it. Cutting depth comes out to 50-60 mm, and high-speed disc is expensive and quickly worn out. Installation of a speed regulator solves the problem. Productivity and cut quality are not affected, because the.к. are determined by the linear speed of rotation along the cutting edge.
About the name
An angle grinder sounds “technically” but is inaccurate in essence.к. An angle grinder is much more for cutting than grinding. An “angle drill” is even more unfortunate, t.к. to drill, to bore, for which the angle grinder is not suitable at all. Angle grinder is the English word for “angle grinder. “angle grinder machine”. But the English to grind is much broader in meaning than all types of abrasive blasting. E.g., meat grinder is a meat grinder. There is no exact Russian analogue for “to grind”; the meaning is something like “to shred by shreds by shreds”. In general, simply speaking, “angle grinder” is terminologically incorrect, but it is brief enough, and it is clear what it is.