A self-made machine for grinding brake discs
- Dirt and foreign objects such as sand, pebbles, glass splinters, or metal shavings getting into the gap between the friction lining and the disc surface.
- Stuck or uneven function of the cylinders and calipers pressing on the pads.
- Brake pad misalignment due to improper installation.
- Poor quality friction lining material.
- Disc overheating and deformation.
- Natural wear and tear on the metal from friction.
- untimely replacement of brake pads.
All of this is not a reason to scrap expensive components. Many problems can be avoided if you take the right steps at the right time. Much wiser not to think about how to perform the turning of brake discs with their own hands, and to prevent the occurrence of malfunction.
How to honed discs of braking system by yourself?
In constant use of the car the driver needs to periodically diagnose the serviceability of its nodes and mechanisms. Because the timely detection and correction of defects will avoid the need to perform a complete overhaul of the car, which may require a lot of money. Like any car component the braking system also needs checking, as well as care and attention. When malfunctions are detected (especially if the pads are broken), this unit is usually replaced. But if the brake discs are damaged, such problem can be solved by timely turning them.
Why is sharpening needed??
Grinding of brake discs without removal with your own hands is performed only when there are signs of wear of this part. You should take note of this problem if your brakes lose effectiveness, the braking distance gets longer, the brake discs become very hot, you feel a continuous kick in the pedal during braking, or you feel a vibration in the steering wheel. At such signs even the naked eye can see the wear of the part.
The worthlessness of a brake disc is indicated by numerous grooves on its surface, which can be found by simply running your hand over the disc surface. The easiest way, of course, is to throw the defective disc away and replace it with a new one. But such a solution can be expensive. In addition to two discs you also need to buy pads. Wouldn’t it be better to resharpen the disc and drive on??
Note that for each model of car there is a certain standard thickness of discs, the reduction of which leads to the worthlessness of the entire braking system. And then the problem is solved only by complete replacement of the entire unit. But if the discs are badly worn and their thickness allows machining, why not take advantage of the opportunity?
Especially since not every driver has extra money for a new braking system. And after turning the disc, its run-out when pressing the brake pedal will be eliminated, the service life of discs (and the entire braking system) will be higher, the efficiency of the braking system will be higher, it will be possible to save money (you do not have to buy a new unit).
Grinding of brake discs without removal price
You can go to the service station, where the masters (usually experienced turners) who know what thickness of metal (to within a micron) should be removed, quickly perform roughing, finishing and finishing (grinding) the surface of the brake disc.
But such a pleasure can be expensive. For example, in the central regions of the country for recutting one disc took 1200 (cars) and 1500 (trucks). In remote regions, treatment of a disc of a passenger car cost 1000 (for one disc), truck. 1300. Is it worth the expense?? Not if the motorist knows how to use a lathe or can perform the following operations himself.
Methods of restoration of brake discs
Now that the signs of failure and benefits that can be extracted after turning discs, you need to determine where to perform such an operation. There are two options: one at service stations and independently (on a lathe). Below is the sequence of turning the brake discs with their own hands.
The easiest way to grind a brake disc, using an emery wheel. The driving force behind this operation is the power of the vehicle engine. It should be noted that the turning in this way can only be carried out with a helper. The operation is performed in this sequence:
- The car is lifted with a jack, from which the wheel is then removed.
- Start the car, engage fifth gear.
- A shoulder on the rotating machined part of the braking system is removed by means of a coarse-grained emery wheel (the inner and outer sides are machined)
- Then performed cleaning and degreasing the disc with a solvent (you need to remove all dust).
A more laborious way to process a disc is to hollow out the disc surface, using a file. This way mainly process discs in cars with rear-wheel drive (less often. in cars with front-wheel drive). A file with a wide profile is used for the operation (it is used for treatment of the mirror of the brake disc). Note that damaged areas should be treated very carefully.
This grinding method is the most laborious of all the methods of restoring a brake disc. But the motorist has the ability to control the entire process, which eventually allows you to get a quality machined disc. Finishing takes up to 6 hours.
To perform this kind of operation it is necessary to use old pads, as well as a diamond disc angle grinder. Processing of the disk is performed in the following sequence:
- When performing recessing the brake disk can not do without the grinding disc with minimal abrasive elements (otherwise there is a high probability of appearance of furrows on the surface of the workpiece.
- A wedge is cut out of the grinding disk (with this shape, the abrasive disk is firmly fixed in the overlay.
- A wedge is sawed into the brake pads for the previously cut piece of abrasive disc.
- The resulting wedge is inserted into the shoe (with the abrasive element slightly protruding). If not, the pad will be slightly abraded).
- The pads obtained as a result of the above-mentioned manipulations are put into the brake caliper.
- Then the car driver drives a few kilometers, and periodically presses the pedal with light pressure.
- This trip will be more than enough to sharpen the brake discs.
- If a shoulder is formed on the surface of the workpiece, it is removed with an ordinary file. Both front and rear brake discs can be machined with this method. After finishing turning, the thickness of the disk is checked in several places.
Methods of treatment of brake discs
The most uncomfortable variant of recessing is machining the worn-out surface on a lathe. You have to remove the wheel, disassemble the assembly and dismantle the part for machining. After sharpening, put everything back in place.
A modern sled can do it even without removing the disc. It is enough to remove the wheel and then fix the machine on the car. Finishing takes a few minutes. After sharpening, put the wheel back in place and we can go straight away.
In the third case it is enough to use a file or a sharpening stone. No special equipment is needed. Often the result is quite effective.
The process without removal
Why did I start with him because it is the easiest and more or less simple. So, I’ll describe the process step by step:
- The machine is suspended on elevators and the wheel is removed
- The caliper is unscrewed (it is suspended by the holder to the spring), releasing the disk
- The approximate curvature of the blade is measured. Needed in order to understand how much to sharpen
- Next, a special motor is installed on the studs or mounting points, which will rotate the disk
- In the “ears” caliper screwed special frame, which will walk cutters. WHILE at once at the top and bottom grinding two planes.
- The process of turning begins, usually a little, because there is a minimum allowable thickness
The big advantage of this method is that the disk is not removed from its mounting, that is, the third plane (where it meets the hub) is not used. THIS IS IMPORTANT! A new surface is sharpened on only two WORKING SURFACES (where pads go), all irregularities and excesses are removed. The method itself is advanced, but it has an undeniable disadvantage, as in fact the other (about this below).
How to Determine Brake Disc Wear?
Naturally, it is impossible to go to the stand diagnostics of brakes, the more so the allowable wear of brake discs can be defined by yourself. precisely, by means of figures of permissible wear, which are given in the operating manual of each car.
There are mainly three factors that contribute to untimely wear of the brake discs:
- poor quality discs,
- “left” brake pads, bought from who knows who, and produced by who knows who, but “for cheap”,
- too sporty and aggressive a driving style. Especially in urban conditions, with heavy traffic and the presence of traffic lights, when too frequent a cycle occurs: speed. extreme braking.
For self-diagnosis of the condition of the brake discs there are such ways:
- dynamic, t.е. during driving and during braking, you feel increased vibration, you hear a grinding, jerking, blocking of the brakes;
- visual, t.е. the inspection of the brake disc shows bumps, cracks or chips in the brake disc contact area or a disc edge which is noticeable to the touch;
- caliper, t.е. you use a caliper to measure the thickness of the brake disc and compare the results to the allowable values of wear of the brake disc of your car. The service life of brake discs is given in the manuals for the car and the disc manufacturer’s manuals.
Getting the job done
There are several methods of turning a brake disk. It can be done in the industrial way, using machines and heavy equipment, but you have to dismantle the wheel completely and remove the brake disc from it. Using improvised tools you can sharpen the disc without having to remove it from the vehicle.
Using of machines
There are special machines and stands at our car workshop for all types of work, including brake disk recutting. Brake discs are installed in a special machine. The next is to run the machine program. After all the measurements it chooses the optimal size of the removed metal layer for the alignment of the part and its balancing.
The wheel is completely disassembled, the brake disk is released and set on the lathe. Such procedure can be performed only by a professional turner. This method involves maximum precision turning with minimal loss of metal on the disk itself.
After turning the disc is put in place, and it is desirable to rebalance the assembled wheel on the finish balancing machine, without removing it from the car.
The disadvantage of this type of work is the cost. After all, as a rule, disassembles the wheel, car mechanic, lathe works on the machine, that is, you need to pay for the work of at least two specialists.
Work with improvised means
You can sharpen the brake disc without removing it from the car. But in this case we have to remove the brake caliper with pads. For shaping, you can use a grinder with an abrasive disk of varying density and structure. An electronic or mechanical micrometer should be used to measure disc thickness.
You can file away chips and obvious irregularities on the rim with a hand file. You do not have to remove the caliper. But the accuracy of this operation remains very modest. But the procedure is simple. It is sufficient to jack up the car, start the engine and engage the gear if the wheel to be machined is a drive wheel. Rotating brake discs are easy to file, the main thing is to observe safety precautions and protect your eyes from sparks.
Important! Manual grinding methods are much cheaper than industrial ones, you can even do it yourself in your garage. But the quality of such work is so low that the procedure must be repeated over and over again at short intervals.
When the pads are completely worn out, the friction that occurs between the metal surfaces of the pads and the surfaces of the discs or drums, quickly destroys the parts. Some cars are equipped with special wear sensors. If you do not have them, you should regularly check the brake system yourself.
Not an easy task
For obvious reasons, many car owners are interested in how to sharpen a brake disc with their own hands. At the risk of disappointing them, we will try to answer honestly. It is impossible to perform such work without special equipment and certain skills.
You should not try to process the surface of the part, the dimensions of which must be observed to within hundredths of a millimeter with sandpaper, and even more so with a file. Only two options are possible:
- To sharpen the brake discs on an ordinary lathe.
- Use of special equipment intended for performance of such works.
Any other methods of treatment will not produce the desired result.
The variants of independent turning
Since the price of services for professional sharpening scares many motorists think about the independent performance of such a procedure.
I strongly advise against taking up such work if you have no skills, experience and special equipment. Such grinding definitely will not get rid of the run-out of the disk, and will serve as a temporary measure. Often in video instructions, and also in descriptions of independent grinding, published on the same site Drive, in a course goes an angle grinder, grinding wheels, emery and other improvised abrasives.
The effect is negligible, and only for a short time restores the surface of the brake disc. Therefore, it is preferable to give the knot in the hands of professionals. There is a special stand at car service centers, which allows you to conduct the treatment of the product without removing it.
At the same time you can distinguish 2 ways, which can still be used in garage conditions, trying to return the performance of the brake unit on your own hands to the previous level.
File or angle grinder
I will say right away that the method presented is only suitable for VAZ cars, domestic cars and old foreign cars. Interestingly, even in the instructions for use, AvtoVAZ describes how the car owner can himself with the help of a file to remove the.
There is an improved way to get rid of rims. The procedure looks like this:
- First, the car is lifted and the necessary wheel is removed, behind which is the problematic element;
- Then start the engine of the machine;
- The 5th gear is engaged;
- To remove the bump, you can take a file, or a coarse-grained disc for an angle grinder;
- Applying a small amount of force with a tool to the disk, a counterbore is made by rotating the wheel;
- After treatment, the disc is degreased.
As you have understood, here you need an assistant, so that one person sharpened the disk, and the other pressed on the gas pedal to ensure the rotation of the wheel hub.
It is important to be very attentive. Never use this method on a foreign car, even if it is a used car. and on new cars.
Grinding without removing the machine
If you have to make a counterboring operation yourself, it is best done with this method. Since no one in his garage will not buy expensive specialized equipment, most will do with an ordinary lathe.
But modern technology allows you to get a special machine for turning for relatively little money. This is a high-end unit that can partially replace professional sharpening machines.
Turning with a sharpening machine is possible without removing the disc itself. The device, equipped with an electric motor, is mounted on the disc and there are cutters on both sides of the machine. That way, even runout can be eliminated in the garage. Read more about how to use the machine in the manual for the specific model.
First, the stand is adjusted and adapted to the parameters of the disc. Then literally in 5 minutes the device itself restores the element of the braking system, removing the necessary layer.
And since we’re talking about the braking system, it’s not unreasonable to understand the work of the brake neighbor in the form of the clutch.
What do you think about self-shaping? Is it worth doing it with your own hands, or is it better to give the discs to the car service, where there is programmable, automated professional equipment?
Thank you for being with us! Sign up, ask questions, and tell your friends about us!
(2 ratings, mean: 3.00 out of 5)
Sign up for updates and get articles in your inbox!
Guaranteed: no spam, just new articles once a week!
As I wrote earlier about acquiring nishtyakov and what a pain in the ass, I would not be me if I allowed myself to drive a vibrator (or rather with discomfort) and so drove and thought about what to do, renting discs no option, away, more gasoline will burn than the cost of discs, on the sharpening did not want to give as I had bitter experience, after sharpening it became worse (and the price for such a pleasure 1000-1500 Russian), and if the special machine (and these we do not have and the price of 4000-5000) do not see the point for the Taza to spend this dough, easier to buy another 3 kt of front disks., and then at night I couldn’t sleep, and the thought occurred to me that why not to make a shaping disc in place, but how, and then it hit me (by the way most of my remodels come at night when I go to bed, just before going to sleep), and why not make abrasive pads)))) and it started bought a grinding disc (BF), characteristics can be seen in the photo.
It’s good that I don’t throw away used pads at once.
also lay a diamond disk, which worked the last time a couple of years ago, and now again came in handy.