How to wind the line for trimmer on the grass trimmer spool
The head. the main part of the trimmer for grass. It consists of a base with a spool, on which the cord is wound. In total, there are 3 types of heads:
- Manual. Allows you to extend the cord (fishing line for trimmer) manually after the engine has stopped completely.
- Semi-automatic. Using such a head is simple and convenient. It operates on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches maximum revolutions, the user lightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, at the expense of which the blocking of the fishing line is removed. The filament is pulled out by centrifugal force and the wearer has only to cut it with a knife.
- Automatic. the line for the trimmer is fed after reducing the engine speed. Such a head turns out to be convenient in cases when there is a need to carry out prolonged work. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is the rapid wear and tear of the cord.
Now, to figure out how to tuck the grass trimmer spool, you should pay attention to the choice of cord.
First of all, winding the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with the working arrangement of the motor and spool in the bottom, as a rule, have on both sides of the reel side keys. By simultaneously pressing them, the upper part of the spool with the internal contents for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- Electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wingnut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a stationary position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the boom nut, wingnut. After loosening the nut the entire spool can be removed.
- electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the bobbin, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow spinning motion achieves a mutual position where the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is locked in place. After that the spool body is turned clockwise (with left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, spools, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. For bobbins with a drum, unscrew the drum, and for spools with latches, press the latches and one part of the bobbin is released from the other part. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them with your hands in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Removing and disassembling spool
The trimmer head consists of a casing, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the reel of the electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer. How to disassemble depends on how the mowing head is attached. First option:
- To remove the cover on the inside of the mowing head, press in on the catches on both sides.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. pull it out of the housing. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- Having removed the bobbin, in the center of the body you will see a screw. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed on the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. This is done by inserting a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal bar is inserted. Brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver in the opening and fix the shaft in place.
- Grasp the head body and start twisting it. Do this in a clockwise direction, i.e. к. The thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the fishing line on the spool
Removing the spool from the grass trimmer
On small electric trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when it is near the ground when working), the spool usually has two keys on the sides. Press them and disconnect one half of the spool body from the other half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half is removed and the inner part, on which directly and reeled line for the trimmer. be careful during the disassembling: there is a spring inside which can be thrown out and lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a bent rod (such trimmers are not yet able to put a knife) you need to grasp the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand start turning counterclockwise the winglet on it. This is what fastens the spool to the grass trimmer bar. After unscrewing the thumbscrew, carefully remove the whole coil, being careful not to lose the spring that is inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight boom and gear on its end (on such trimmers for grass in addition to the fishing line can also be installed a knife) looking for a hole under the spool, insert it, for example, screwdriver, quietly turn the spool, until the screwdriver will not get even deeper, and the spool will be secured. Now twist the whole spool clockwise (since the thread is left-handed) and remove it from the grass trimmer. Next we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with clips or twisted with a wing nut. if the coil is on the latches, then press on the sides of the latches base so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other half. You just need to unscrew the wingtips. there can be also a third type of connection of two halves of such coil: in this case you need to grasp the lower part with one hand and the upper part with the other and begin to turn them in opposite directions. When disassembling the spool, you should also pay attention not to lose the spring inside.
than 200 types of trimmers at the lowest in one place. Click and see
Now, having removed and disassembled the spool, we proceed, actually, to winding.
Block: 2/3 | Number of characters: 1967
Selecting a fishing line
In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumables. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for trimmer with a diameter of 2 mm is used. You can find the right diameter for the mower in the following ways:
- Check the instruction manual that came with your trimmer for information about line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible diameters of the line.
- Another option is to try to insert a cord into the outlet hole. If it fits through without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer
You can choose a cord according to the type of motor. If the trimmer line is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. the motor will then overheat and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick thread is suitable. If you can’t find one, you can use 1.6 mm trimmer line. If more than 1 kW, choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- The gasoline grass trimmer has the importance of the shaft mower. For the bent version a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm cord. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a circular section. They mow fresh grass well, but do less well with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted cord is not very strong, but is good for thin young grass.
- Serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- It is possible to mow the lawn more evenly with a rectangular, starred or square grass trimmer line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest. a two-component cord with an inner core and a round section.
Types of lines for grass trimmer
Keep in mind that wire, metal strings and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line should not be used instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to work together, resulting in their ends unraveling, and the small pieces will fly away at high speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
How to insert a line into a grass trimmer for a trimmer?
Filling the mowing reel with cutting thread for the grass trimmer is not a difficult task, but beginners gardeners will have to practice a little to be able to quickly insert the cord into the existing household grass trimmer in the future.
There are only a few ways to thread the grass trimmer’s mowing head. The first method is the easiest, and is well suited for novice gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the spool in this order:
- First, you will need to unwind about 6 m of line from the total spool for grass trimmer, and then cut the resulting segment in half. The result should be two strands, each 3 m long;
- Then, on one end of the first piece will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, start winding the line on the bobbin in the direction indicated by the arrow. During winding you need to make sure that the line for the trimmer evenly laid on the surface of the bobbin, and did not go beyond its upper section. You do not need to wind up to the end of the section, in your hands should remain about 15 cm of thread;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the notches located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, the same procedure will need to be done with the second segment of fishing line. It will need to be wound onto the lower section of the bobbin;
- As in the first case, do not wind the trimmer line all the way back onto the lower section. The remainder of the thread must be wound into the second groove on the bobbin.
After the operation, the spool will need to be installed on the grass trimmer and start it. To check that the thread is securely fastened, you will need to press the throttle lever all the way down so that the engine reaches maximum rpm. If a line for a trimmer does not fly out of the head, it means that a line for a trimmer is holding on safe and it won’t fly out of the mowing spool while cutting the grass.
Working with a technique such as a grass trimmer requires caution and care. Both novice and experienced trimmers must follow safety precautions during work. It often happens that self-confident trimmers lose vigilance, make irreparable errors and get seriously injured. Therefore, it is important when working with the machine to
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not coil more line than necessary: it is difficult to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel, be sure to check the tool’s operation before mowing.
- Choose the right quality material for your trimmer.
Do not try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear safety glasses and appropriate shoes.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind the line for the trimmer and what you need to know
- Make sure the cover clicks into place. It is 2 or more clicks, depending on the number of locks. If one clamp does not snap, the reel can jump out when starting the tool and injure a person
- Do not wind the line for the trimmer with a strong pull on it, and in an amount greater than you can put it in place. It is better not to wind up the tool more than necessary, because this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two line outputs, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the spool
- After changing the material you should first check that the tool functions correctly and only then start mowing. If not checked beforehand, the scaffolding can unravel and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose the material of appropriate quality so as not to be injured when working with gasoline mowers, trimmers and brush cutters. When mowing grass, small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances. Although a line for a trimmer is not a knife, you should wear special protective outfit while working with the tool. The result of the work done is the following. after replacing the new material, the usual one is enough for up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to keep in mind when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or knives are available for this purpose.