How to drill a hole in concrete without a hammer
It is impossible to answer exactly how to drill a brick wall, because the diameter and depth of holes can vary. Consequently, not only different cutting tools are used for this purpose, but also different power tools that provide rotation.
Drills and perorators
To make a hole in a brick wall, simply use an electric impact drill like the one in the top photo. Of course, it does not have to be exactly Makita, because it is the best brand of Europe and Asia, therefore, its cost is quite high, but quite justified (those who have worked with such tools understand this). You can use any domestic drill that has an impact mode, but if you use a diamond drill bit or a diamond drill bit, the rotation mode is enough. But it is worth mentioning that such drill, like Makita or, for example, Bosch, are designed for long-term operation not only with drills, but also with drill bits and at that the gear retains its integrity for years.
The quality of the torch, just like that of the drill, is determined by its manufacturer, and in the photo above you see the leader among such units. it is Makita. First of all, this tool is very handy for drilling holes in a brick wall because it is the lightest of all competing models. Of course, Makita can be of different power and therefore have different dimensions, hence weight, but in any case such a peorator is the leader on the Eurasian continent. Drills for universal peorators have a shank diameter of 10 mm with a 40 mm dip in the chuck.
For home use, a Makita drill bit weighing up to 2 kg is commonly used, but other manufacturers’ peorators can weigh up to 4 kg. in any case, an SDS chuck for drills up to 26 mm is used for such tools. Heavy professional peorators weighing 5 kg and more use SDS max chuck. Such chuck is designed for drill or core bits shank with the same diameter of 18 mm regardless of the cutting diameter. Such shanks are lowered into the chuck by 90 mm and have 5 fixture slots: 3 open-type guides and 2 closed-type latches. It is very likely to say that drilling in brick with such a peorator at home may be needed once or twice in a lifetime, so, heavy tools are more needed for professionals.
How to drill a concrete wall with an ordinary drill
For drilling concrete designed peorator, but in its absence, in many cases with the work will cope with a manual electric drill. Succeed with the right drill bit or core bit. To understand how to drill a concrete wall with an ordinary drill, you need to know a clear algorithm of actions, take into account a number of important nuances of drilling.
Additional tool for drilling concrete
Start drilling in concrete is reasonable if the electric drill is equipped with a hammer function. Using a drill with a hammerless tool makes no sense. The drill will simply overheat and the motor will burn out. With a hammerless tool you can drill a large hole with a diamond drill bit, if the power of the electric motor allows.
For simple percussion drilling of small holes, you will need an additional tool:
- A set of concrete drill bits of different diameters. They can be distinguished by special carbide tips. The element is a small plate with sharpened edges at an angle of 60 o. The screw part and the cylindrical shank are made of normal tool steel.
- Puncher. The tool is made in the form of a rod with a sharpened tip. The drill bit helps to break up the concrete by hitting it with a hammer.
Concrete drill bits have a weak point. When it comes into contact with the fittings, the solder breaks off. If the plunge of the drill into the concrete stopped, and there is a characteristic whistle, the hole is pounded with the drill bit. In the presence of reinforcement move the place of drilling to the side.
When you want to cut a large hole for a socket with a drill, use a core bit instead of a drill. When selecting a bit, look at the shank. Its shape must be suitable for clamping in the chuck. The drill can be fitted with a hexagonal or SDS shank.
Drilling concrete is carried out by three types of drill bits:
- Bits made of tungsten carbide material have a serrated cutting edge. Bits are used only for percussive drilling. If the drill does not have a hammer function, the bits overheat and fall off the bowl. They are afraid of contact with reinforcement. To save the cutters, drill into the wall with a drill bit before drilling. An extra step to find out if there are any rebar in the area.
- Drilling a concrete wall with a hammerless drill is done with a diamond drill bit. Branches are not afraid of contact with rebar. Air-cooled drill bits are available for household use. They can be identified by the presence of holes in the cutting edge. Wet-cutting bits are not used with a drill. Diamond plating can be hard, soft or medium hard, as indicated by the letters “T”, “M”, “C” on the bit. CS: GO” drill bits are usually used with a drill. The nozzle is designed with slots for air cooling. The cutting edge is made of diamond chips of medium hardness.
For a drill drill bits made of carbide materials are sold, where instead of soldering there is a sputtering of carbide-tungsten crumbs. The tiled wall can be drilled cleanly with a tapping block. It is reasonable to use crowns if the power of the drill exceeds 1 kW.
Drilling through a wall with a hammer drill
The impact drilling process requires great effort. It will take more time than with the drill because of the lower power of the tool. The drill is periodically given time to rest. The entire procedure of making a hole with a drill bit consists of the following steps:
- The place of the future hole is marked on the wall. The punch is placed on the marking and the hammer is hammered 2-3 times sharply.
- After the blows a small crater is formed in the concrete. A drill bit with a tipped tip is inserted inside the hole, the drill starts to drill with a hammer, starts to drill. When you feel the motor overheating with your hand, give the tool time to rest.
- The drill can stop penetrating for two reasons: hard fractions of concrete or rebar are caught. Stop drilling. Inside the funnel insert the puncher, apply sharp blows with a hammer. When the hard particles have broken up, continue drilling. If you hit a rebar, it is better to displace the hole to the side. If this option is not suitable, the bars are coped with a diamond drill bit or drill bit for metal.
Continue until the desired hole depth is reached.
The nuances of appropriate drilling in concrete
A number of important nuances must be considered in order for drilling in concrete to be successful:
- Drilling a hole with a diameter of more than 12 mm and a depth of 100 mm is better to perform hybrid power tool drill.
- For plastic dowels, the depth of the hole is 7 mm longer than the length of the fastener. The stock will be clogged with concrete dust when inserting the dowel.
- Start the work at medium drill rpm without impact mode. Increase the speed when the drill goes deeper up to 4 mm. Simultaneously switch on the hammer function. This is to prevent the drill from sliding around the wall because of the strong vibrations.
- The drilling process generates a lot of dust. If you turn on a vacuum cleaner, flying particles of concrete are immediately sucked up and do not contaminate the room.
- When clamping the drill bit in the chuck, check that the shank is inserted as far as it will go.
- Use a small drill for no more than 15 minutes. 10 minutes is enough for a rest. Dip the drill bit in water before starting work. A little trick helps reduce wear on the cutting point.
- When making a through hole at high RPM, a piece of concrete may break off on the back side of the wall. Lowering the rotational speed helps to avoid damage.
If the drill bit is stuck in the concrete, do not try to extract it by hammering, loosening with pliers. The drill shank will break off, but the screw part remains inside the wall. It will be possible to extract the jammed element only if you drill around it with a drill of small diameter.
SECRET to drilling through concrete for tapcons (so simple so effective)
Drilling in concrete can be considered successful if the end goal is reached and the tool is not broken.
- Even with a concrete wall, many home craftsmen wonder how to hang a picture without drilling. It can be done in several ways. If the partition has a finish in the form of wallpaper, a sewing needle can be stuck there, on which the picture is hung.
- So that the work progresses easily and so that the hand is not overloaded, the user must practice holding the drill in the hand. The tool is taken in one hand according to the principle of grasping a gun. The second hand is placed on the handle, if available. The fingers must be placed near the chuck.
Attention! It is quite common to choose a drill when making holes in concrete, but it is important to remember that this tool is not designed for this kind of work. This is because of the high load on the bearings, gearbox and motor. In this regard, the equipment should be used with caution so that it does not fail under high loads.
How to drill a concrete wall
Concrete wall is a very strong structure, so it is difficult to handle. But in order to install a mechanical fastener, it is necessary to drill the surface. If you do not have the right equipment at hand, the task can be difficult. Based on what the hole is made for, you should use the working part of the tool of a certain diameter. Depending on this parameter, it will be possible to hang everything from a mirror to heavy pieces of furniture on the wall.
Concrete drilling can be done with the simplest equipment or a special machine. In the first case, we are talking about a drill, which can have a percussion function, which will simplify the work process. You can make the biggest hole in a concrete wall with a diamond drill. But such equipment is expensive, so it is usually used only by professionals.
Is it possible to cut through armature in the concrete with a chisel
An outdated way to remove rebar when drilling a hole in the concrete is to use a chisel or core. This method consists in the fact that it is necessary to cut the metal wire. You need to drill a hole with a large diameter to make sure you have easy access to the rebar. After that, using a sharp chisel and hammer you will need to break the metal wire.
Increase the size of the hole for free access to the rebar by using the chisel on the peorator. If there will be enough room to work with a metal blade, you should definitely use this method. Sawing through the rebar with a metal blade is time consuming and labor intensive, but it is quite feasible if you make a through hole in advance.
Cordless Drill Bit. No Hammer Action!
This is interesting!If a chisel or metal blade is used, tools made of high-speed and high-strength steel should be used.
Once you have decided what to drill through a concrete wall, you should also ask how to prepare it. Make sure there are no electrical cables in the first place. This also applies to other utilities, including sewer and water pipes.
In order to understand whether you can start manipulating, you should use a metal detector. This tool will also determine how deep you can drill into a concrete wall. If the hole is small, you can work with a drill. But when the diameter exceeds 13 mm, you should use a peorator. However, large holes in concrete can also be made with a regular drill if a chuck can be used for a conical 13-mm drill.
Overview of tools
Power-driven tools are used to handle surfaces made of concrete.
There is equipment with additional percussion, which allows you to get a hole of correct geometric shape in hard materials. Diamond drilling rigs have an increased weight and size, the equipment is used by construction or repair crews.
If the user needs to perform single channels, and the electric tool is not available, then he needs to know how to make a hole in a concrete wall without a peorator. To drill a steel rod or a piece of pipe of suitable diameter with teeth on the end is used.
The rod is struck with a hammer and then the improvised tool is rotated 1/3 turn. The procedure takes a long time, the quality of the edges of the hole is low.
Design of a drill and installation of the drill
The drill uses an AC collector-driven electric motor. The design of the motor includes a speed regulator, brought out on the power button. A gearbox is used to reduce the speed and increase the torque, there are tools with a 2-speed box.
A jaw chuck is fastened to the gearbox output shaft, a chuck with a latch is used in the rotary drilling motors. The gearbox is equipped with a separate unit that enables the drill to move and turn in a reciprocating motion.
Before you drill a concrete surface, you need to secure the drill bit. The tool is placed in a chuck, the cams ensure the alignment of the drill bit and the chuck axis. The drill bit is placed inside the chuck for the entire length of the shank, to extend the working part of the tool by extending the shank out of the chuck is prohibited. To tighten the chuck use the wrench (included with the drill).
Is it possible to drill a hole in a concrete load-bearing or brick wall of a panel house with an ordinary drill, a peorator or an electric screwdriver without dust, how to do it
Doing repair work in an apartment or house, there is always the question of drilling a wall. Different tools can be used depending on the purpose of the hole and the material of which the surface is made.
When working with each tool, there are nuances, especially when drilling a wall. How to correctly make the right hole, and what recommendations to follow?
How to drill through a concrete wall without a torch?
Sooner or later most people who live in homes with concrete walls, there is a need to hang a cabinet, lamp, shelf or a picture. At this point, the pressing question of how to drill a concrete wall. It’s no secret that every home handyman at least once in life has faced this problem, but not everyone knows how to solve it. Many bravely torture the drill and their own forces, but, not achieving the desired result, abandon everything until the next attempt to make a hole in the wall. But the drill, in the end, breaks, and the shelves remain to stand somewhere in the corner of the room or gather dust in the closet. But the options are still there. you just need to know them and be able to use them.
Industrial dust control methods
Buy a dust collector at any store where power tools and building materials are sold. However, it only makes sense to go there in two cases. if such a device is needed urgently and if a person wants to become the owner of a branded accessory. Those who are in no hurry and prefers to save money is to explore the range of Chinese shopping sites such as Aliexpress. similar devices are sold there for the price of five or ten times cheaper.
Vacuum Dust Collector
- With attachment to the wall or ceiling. under the influence of suction force reliably “adheres” to any surfaces, even textured ones, and is held there for as long as the vacuum cleaner is on. In the middle has a hole through which passes the drill bit or crown (by the way, the diameter of the hole can be different, but for domestic needs is usually enough 6-7 cm).
- With drill or drill mount. initially placed as close to the head of the drill as possible, slides toward the body as you drill. The disadvantage of such dust collectors is that the debris can still fall to the floor, albeit in small quantities. However, it is impossible not to mention their advantage. such devices can be used even if you have to drill a wall in hard-to-reach places.
Such dust collector would be a useless toy. The prerequisite for its operation is a powerful vacuum cleaner, connected to a special spigot. Once or twice you can drill using the same vacuum cleaner used for cleaning the apartment, but for regular use should get “Rocket”, “Vortex” or “Buran”. The point is that fine dust seeps through the filter system and settles in the engine. Modern machines can not hold out for a long time, and burn out, but the old Soviet monsters are almost indestructible.
- Relatively inexpensive, so they are ideal for those who take on the peorator only occasionally.
- Does not take up space in the toolbox.
- Transparent, so they do not obstruct the view.
- Completely eliminates dust on the floor.
- There are variants both for an ordinary drill bit and for a drill bit.
- Despite the fact that they are considered disposable, after the first use they keep their adhesive properties and can be used repeatedly (you just need to empty the debris accumulated inside).
The only disadvantage of such packages. they are absolutely not suitable for drilling the ceiling and other horizontal surfaces.
Drill bit attachment
Looks like a cone that is put on the drill bit. At first it is spread out to its full length (the wide end rests against the wall and the narrow end against the body of the drill), but as the drill moves deeper into the wall, it folds into an accordion. When using a drill bit with a long shank, you have to hold the bit against the wall with your hand, which can be uncomfortable.