How to cut tiles with an angle grinder: straight, curved and burr cuts
Angle grinder or “angle grinder” one of the few universal tools, with which you can do different things. In particular, cutting tiles with an angle grinder. Except when the tiles are already glued, there is a tool with which to cut the tile or make a certain cut, the hole is easier and faster than with an angle grinder. Consideration of the reasons for using an angle grinder and recommendations for the use of one or another method of cutting is beyond the scope of the article. Only the angle grinder cutting methods themselves are discussed here.
It is more convenient to divide the cutting methods into several groups:
Different types of cuts: straight, shaped, boring.
How to cut a tile without a tile cutter: a few simple ways
Not every home craftsman has in his arsenal of expensive professional devices. But sometimes when laying small tiled surfaces there is a problem of how to cut tiles without a tile grinder, which can cause certain difficulties. In this situation, a variety of available technologies are used, following the recommended sequence of actions. The material is preliminarily soaked in cool water for 40-45 minutes.
Types of cutting
A variety of types of cuts are required when working with ceramic tile.
- Primarily cut the material in a straight line with a mowing line. It is taken into account that if there is less than 20 mm to the side edges, this kind of cut is considered shaped.
- It is also sometimes necessary to cut a circular hole of a certain diameter in the tile.
- Make, if necessary, shaped cutouts.
- To obtain mosaic, small in size elements prefer the method of crushing ceramic tiles into individual pieces. In this situation the material is placed in a dense bag and a heavy sledge hammer is used to break it into separate pieces.
Cutting tiles with an angle grinder
Most often the question of what to cut tiles for the floor without a tile cutter, solve with such a universal convenient tool in the work, as an angle grinder, which allows you to perform a variety of size and configuration of mowing line. smooth curved, complex shaped, clearly delineated straight.
For the tile cutting operation it is necessary to prepare:
- An angle grinder, more commonly referred to as an angle grinder;
- a cutting wheel, oriented for work on solid stone products (you can take the diamond variety);
- A vice, a portable clamp or some other simple type of clamp to hold firmly the tiles being cut;
- a compact vacuum cleaner to eliminate dust;
- safety glasses;
- special thick clothing with long sleeves;
- The use of a respirator or a cotton gauze bandage is recommended.
After determining the necessary dimensions, conduct an accurate marking of the tiles. the cutting line must be applied to the face plane, using a sharp tool to scratch. A construction marker can be used. But it is necessary to take into account that in the process of work, if a large amount of dust is removed, the ink line will quickly wear off.
If small cuts are made that are close to the edges of the tile, the material is placed on a flat tabletop. It is possible to work on the floor. A piece of plywood is placed on the bottom to maintain the integrity of the coating.
First cut through the tiled surface, penetrating a few millimeters. Usually during this operation, it is enough to hold the tile yourself, or you can call for help from an assistant. If shaped cuts are made, then before sawing the tile without a tile cutter, the material is securely attached to the table top with a clamp. If possible, then fix it in a vise. To be on the safe side, under the sponges is placed pieces of cardboard or cloth.
- Go over the marking several times, deepening during each pass about 3 mm. Such actions are performed until the necessary piece of tile is completely cut off.
- If small segments are cut, about 20 mm in length, then the material is cut through all of its thickness at once.
- When making complex edge cuts or curved lines, it is advisable to make a marking on both sides. Carry out on the front side of the notch at first 2,5-3 mm. After that, the material is turned over and passed on the underside to an identical depth. Repeat several times. This method practically does not damage the face.
How to get smooth edges on tile WITHOUT a WETSAW
Using an electric jigsaw
In a situation where you need to quickly decide how to cut tiles without tile cutters and angle grinder, use an electric jigsaw equipped with a saw on the stone.
Such a tool quite easily performs even cuts in a straight line. Also qualitatively makes curvilinear configurations with a sufficiently large diameter. It is more difficult to obtain rounded fragments of small radius.
It is easier to work with a jigsaw (by the way, with a small amount of work you can use the manual version of the tool) when sawing a relatively thin wall tile.
Difficulties may arise when cutting denser floor ceramic material.
Using a Glass Cutter
Another available tool that allows you to solve the problem of how to cut tiles without a tile cutter and angle grinder, is the glass cutter.
You can replace it with any other sharpened tool made of pobedite, diamond or other hard material. It can be drills, knives and other tools.
For work you will also need a metal rail. If you use wooden or plastic rulers, you will need the utmost care, as the cutting edges can easily damage this material, and the cutting line will turn out uneven.
When using a glass cutter, take into account that such a tool can only be used when cutting in a straight line of a tile line. Note that the minimum width of the removed fragments is 20 millimeters.
In order to get an even cut without chipping, you need to scratch the top layer of tile evenly along the entire length. With sufficient hardness and good sharpening of the tool, usually perform to the required depth of the groove in one pass, applying sufficient force. Sometimes you need to make several repetitions, achieving that the scratch is deeper than the main glossy layer.
Before carrying out the next steps to split the tile, the hard end of the glass cutter should be tapped on the underside, focusing on the line of the cut. Several techniques are then used to break the tile:
- against the edge of the table. Place the notched ceramic finish on the edge of the table, which must coincide exactly with the line of the cut. Pressing the material with one hand to the table top, the other sharply press on the cut part. When properly operated, the tile cracks directly at the mark.
- About the sharp corner. After completing the scratching of the risk, the hands from both sides tightly take the tile. Then sharply struck against a sharp corner. Orient the material so that the point of impact is exactly on the mowing line of the break. It is important that the angle piece. metal or wood above the horizontal plane rises by at least 10 cm. This will prevent the hand from hitting the surface, eliminating the distortion of the mowing line of the split tile.
- On a solid rod. The prepared tile is placed on a hard, long enough bar, with its underside facing out, so that the place of the future split is exactly in the center of this device. With both hands, press sharply and evenly on both sides at once. As a rod take a pencil, a drill with a diameter of 8.5-15.5 mm and a length commensurate with the drawn line.
- Between the clamps. According to this technique, you can break out as a part of the tile, and cut it on a scythe line passing through the entire length of the material. Two clamps must be prepared. Rectangular scraps of thick plywood are used for this. Wooden bars are good. If necessary, make a homemade machine by connecting two pieces of plywood with self-tapping screws, allowing the tiles to fit inside. It is important that the clamps have clear edges. Place the tile so that the groove is exactly at the edge. Fix the upper clamp by pressing with the hand, and then sharply press the free edge of the tile.
How to make round holes
Selecting options that demonstrate how to cut tiles without a tile cutter with their own hands, if it is necessary to get round holes in it, turn to household tools that have rotating tips. They include electric devices. screwdrivers, drills, peorator or a hand-held hammer.
It is important to set a relatively low speed of rotation, not exceeding 500 rpm, in order to obtain a flat hole. The nozzles are chosen according to the diameter of the future hole.
Ø 20-30 mm
- Spear-head drill bits, oriented for work on tiles. Good for drilling in ordinary tiles.
- Special drills, which have a sharp-angled sharpening on one side. They can be used if even hard floor ceramic tiles need to be drilled.
- Drills designed for stone and concrete with carbide tips. They are not durable, but several holes can be made.
Ø 31-50 mm
- Crowns. They can be corundum, diamond, carbide-tungsten. Suitably priced.
- Ballerina. Represents a lance-shaped drill with the presence of a second cutter, which is adjusted to work with the movement of the rod, fixed on the central leg. Although the durability of such an attachment is low, it is valued for its ability to cut a variety of hole diameters.
If it is required to get a hole in the tile over 50 mm in diameter, an angle grinder is used.
Before cutting a tile without a tile cutter in order to obtain a shaped scythe near the edge, you must first make incisions with small intervals between them. The cuts should be a few millimeters short of the main mowing line.
When everything is ready, special pliers with wheels or ordinary pliers carefully break out segment by segment. The remaining ceramic pieces are removed in small fragments.
It is more difficult to choose a way to cut the tile without tile cutters, if the project requires making curved through figures, which are located inside the tile slab. To do this, first make a hole, and then in the direction from it begin to break out small fragments carefully with pliers. Along the border, a deep groove is made with a sharp instrument, which prevents unnecessary chips.
Tongs with a cutter
For a fairly thin tile, aimed for wall decoration, the problem of how to cut tiles without a tile cutter, can be solved with the help of pliers equipped with a cutter.
How to stop chipping tile when cutting with a wetsaw
Observe the following sequence of actions:
- Using a ruler and a marker on the outer plane of the material draw a precise marking.
- Guide the cutting part of the pliers along this mowing line, pressing the tool so as to make a groove without chipping or deforming the tile. Start drawing in the direction from the far side toward yourself. The operation is repeated if necessary to obtain the desired depth of the risk.
- Then turn the tool over so that the pliers grab the material along the marking. Squeeze and cut off the excess fragment.
If necessary, the edges of the cut are smoothed out, using an emery board and then sandpaper.
All of the above methods, demonstrating how to cut the tile without tile cutters, available and allow you to perform the action yourself if it is assumed a small amount of work. It is advisable to train in advance to get the right skills to work, on pieces of defective tiles. This will allow you to more accurately determine the methods of work, the effort applied to get a quality cut of any shape.
5 Ways To Cut Tile. Everything You Need To Know For Your First Tile Project
Peculiarities of working with porcelain tiles
Porcelain stoneware is very hard and robust. After all, it is made of natural stone. To cut porcelain tiles without chips with an angle grinder, just like you cut tiles, you need to use thin segmented discs up to 1.5 mm thick with intensive, continuous diamond coating. This will reduce the likelihood of overheating.
How to cut tiles without a tile cutter
In the production of various construction works independently, there is often a need to cut ceramic tiles at home. For this purpose it is not necessary to have a professional tool. a tile cutter. One step at a time: It is not a permanent job and it is not a big production run, but small batches or even single pieces. In such cases it does not make sense to buy an expensive tool, it is quite possible to do with improvised means.
How to cut tiles with an angle grinder without chipping correctly: straight cut, at a 45° angle and cutting holes
Before cutting tiles with an angle grinder without chipping, it is necessary to find out all the rules and nuances that must be followed in order to do so. It is thanks to them you will be able not only to avoid damage to the material, but also to perform a straight cut of a tile or a hole of the desired shape in it as smoothly as possible.
To minimize the risk of injury, the following rules should be adhered to:
- Always use protective equipment: goggles or face shield, gloves, closed shoes and clothing, respirator.
- It is forbidden to work with the grinder without a protective metal cover.
- Always watch the location of the electric cable, to exclude the possibility of getting it under the cutting part.
- Hold the tool with both hands and stand parallel to the rotating disc. That way, in case the disc is jammed, the tool will be thrown past you.
- The reciprocating motion of the angle grinder should coincide with the direction of disc rotation.
- To control a safe cut, submerge the cutting part by one-third the radius of the cutting wheel.
- Always use the proper disc for each material: metal, stone, dry cutters, sanding discs. Every tool has a specific purpose.
- Be especially careful when working at both the lowest and the highest speeds.
- Do not submerge the cutting part in water to avoid dust: there is a high risk of electric shock and short circuits.
- Work only in well ventilated rooms or outdoors, but avoid working in the rain.
Features of cutting porcelain stoneware
It is worth mentioning that very hard and firm porcelain tile is sometimes even easier to cut at home than ceramic tile. Who does not believe, can try to cut at home the recast ceramic, made on the old Soviet or Chinese equipment. In comparison with it the cutting of porcelain tile does not look so problematic.
It is quite possible to cut porcelain tiles without chipping, though some masters say that it is fundamentally impossible to achieve. If it were really so, then most of the walls and stairs clad with porcelain tiles would have wide seams, crooked and unattractive.
It’s not even about the hardness of porcelain stoneware. Manufacturing technology of artificial granite is such that as a result of pressing and deep firing the material turns out practically without internal tensions, and this is a pledge of high quality sawing line.
In order to accurately and neatly cut porcelain stoneware at home, it is necessary to perform only two conditions:
- To choose the right sawing mode, to ensure constant and uniform pressure of the cutting tool on the cutting line of the porcelain stoneware;
- Choose the right tool for your specific cutting conditions.
It is clear that at home the possibility of cutting material is significantly limited, but even in the apartment it is quite possible to cut porcelain tiles without tile cutters, although initially frightened by the amount of dust generated when working with electric machines.
Cutting tiles at 45 degrees: how to do it best?
Tile cutting technology under 45 degrees allows you to aesthetically cover any outside corner when finishing walls with ceramic finishing materials. Thus it allows to get rid of necessity of purchase and the subsequent use of special decorative corners, whose appearance can negatively reflect on the general design of a premise. Plastic and metal corners. it’s not only unaesthetic and unfashionable, but also not practical. Considering this fact it is worth to understand how to cut tiles at 45 degrees and what recommendations are worth observing.
Porcelain tiles are relatively new on the market of construction materials, but have already gained popularity due to their high performance qualities, combining the properties of natural stone and ceramics. This tile material is obtained by dry pressing of a homogeneous mixture consisting of quartz sand, illite clay, kaolin, feldspar and mineral dyes. Ceramic granite tiles get their final appearance after firing in special furnaces at high temperature (12001300°C).
The material has the following characteristics:
- high hardness of 7-8 units. Mohs scale (corresponds to corundum);
- wear resistance and durability;
- hygienic and easy care;
- Low water absorption;
- resistance to aggressive environments;
- environmental friendliness;
- frost resistance;
Due to its almost total lack of pores, extremely high strength and other characteristics, the material is difficult to work with. It is recommended to use specialized tools for cutting porcelain stoneware that allow high-quality, even cuts.