How to cut ceiling plinth corners: tips and detailed plan
To make the right choice, look for reputable, quality brands. Model “Fit 41255” is made of hard plastic. It can saw blanks made of wood, plastic and metal
The workpiece width to be sawn is 120 mm. Workpieces can be sawed at angles of 45,90,22.5 and 135 degrees. Complete with shank saw
It can saw blanks made of wood, plastic and metal. The width of the workpiece to be sawn is 120mm. Workpieces can be sawed at 45, 90, 22.5 and 135 degree angles. Equipped with a shank saw.
- “Stanley1-20-112” is famous among craftsmen for its accuracy and quality of cutting. Cutting is performed at angles of 22,5, 45 and 90 degrees vertically and 45 degrees horizontally. Eccentrics hold workpieces in place. The chair is made of impact resistant plastic.
- “Zubr15375-75” is also appreciated by craftsmen, allows you to accurately make cuts. Made of durable ABC plastic, so it is strong and reliable for a long time.
- Chisel “Stayer 15402” is a professional carpentry tool, which differs from others by the fact that the workpiece can be sawn from 0 to 180 degrees, graduation step. 15 degrees. Fixing screw firmly holds the workpiece.
- “Fit Professional 41321.Swivel jigsaw supplied with the steel saw. The part is securely clamped with a clamp. The unit is made of steel, aluminum or plastic. Working part length 60cm.
- “Shampion180” is half a meter long. This is a pivoting jigsaw for 45 and 90 degree workpieces, but it can also work polygonal pieces (four, five, six, eight and twelve-corner pieces) The jigsaw is equipped with a 1,4 mm pitch arbor saw. The maximum width of the workpiece 20cm. Working depth 20cm.
- The “Zubr saw” professional chisel works in the horizontal and vertical planes. Metal swivel base enables you to saw non-ferrous metals, alloys and steels. The scale marks the saw’s rotation by the required angle. Stiffness and strength of the saw blade of the rotating jigsaw helps cut the corner of the baseboard with filigree precision.
- The Stayer saw blade can be used without additional measuring tools because its base is marked. Metal base is strong, the maximum width of the workpiece, fit on it-160mm. Cutting depth 600mm.Variable saw tensioning, swiveling and tilting of the saw blade facilitates precise sawing of workpieces.
- The “Kupper” saw blade is very versatile. Not only does it rotate by a certain angle, but also the carriage moves along the body of the chair on a guide rail. This ability of the carriage facilitates securing it in the right place of the workpiece. The piece to be sawn. while remaining stationary, secured by removable clamps. There is a swivel with a scale when working the material in the vertical plane. Work the workpiece can be processed in the vertical and horizontal planes simultaneously. With this jigsaw, you can achieve the desired cutting depth, which is helpful when making parts with cleats. The diameter of the workpiece can be up to 150 mm.
List of necessary materials and tools for work
Make a plier with their own hands is not that difficult, if you follow the recommendations of experts. First, make sure that the materials prepared for the job are sanded
For the manufacture of the cross cutter it is important to choose the wood, which must be dried, without dents, have a smooth surface without any defects. Do not choose plastic as a base material, because it is not strong, and therefore can easily be damaged during the work. The boards made for the tool should be about 2 centimeters thick
Boards made for the tool should have a thickness of about 2 centimeters.
Before you start work, it is worth preparing the following tools
- ruler and pencil;
- a fine grit emery cloth;
- hacksaw for metal;
- a drill with a different set of drill bits;
- Euro screws (fork screws);
- A hacksaw with small teeth, designed for sawing the baseboard.
All, the above tools should be enough to carry out the work. Among the additional devices can be useful hexagonal key, with which it will be easier to screw the screws. Also, before you begin, you should prepare the individual items for a homemade tool
Before proceeding to the description of the instruction: how to make a jig with their own hands, let us pay attention to a detailed inspection of the manufacture of parts for the device
How to join in the corners
If the installation of the first corner is passed, we can assume that you have almost all learned how to do. “Almost” because you still need to learn how to connect the corners and trim strips to length. When glued some part of it already and a little distance left to the corner, how not to make a mistake with the length? The answer is simple: leave a margin.
At first, you can cut a piece longer by 10-15 cm: you will be able to redo it several times if something does not work right away. Then you do the angle as described above, trying on the dry, all adjusted to your satisfaction with the result. Only after that you can put the trimmed slat in the corner and mark the place to which it can be shortened. Trim it to exactly 90°. It is not necessary to use a jig. Just try to put the knife (hacksaw) perpendicular to the surface.
Tools that will be needed for trimming the baseboard
When cutting the ledge, you should take into account what material the ceiling ledge is made of. If the plinth is plastic, then you can’t do without a hacksaw for metal. Wooden baseboards can be cut with a fine wood saw. Well, and if you need to glue a foam or polyurethane baguette for the ceiling, then a simple sharp knife is enough, for this case a plasterboard or stationery knife is ideal.
In addition to cutting tools, you may also need such a tool:
Take note! Only use tools that work perfectly. The cutting tool should be sharp, with frequent and fine teeth. This will not only allow you to achieve a perfectly flat and smooth cut, but also protects against possible damage to the product.
How to cut a baseboard without a joiner
Let’s say you urgently need to glue a ceiling plinth.
How to make a corner without a mitre saw? It is possible, although you will have to spend more time. Proceed as follows.
- Trim both parts of the skirting board at right angles first.
- The position of the elements is marked on the wall and a fishing line is applied to trimmer their joints. As a result we will see two intersecting lines. The point of their intersection is projected directly onto the baseboard parts.
- The skirting board is attached to the ceiling and a line is drawn to trim the cut from one edge to the other.
- Finishing details are performed with a stationery or construction knife.
- A virtual jigsaw is drawn on the paper, with lines drawn at the right angles. The baseboard tacks are attached to such a notch and the cut is made (with the blade of the knife held vertically).
How to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth with Комментарии и мнения владельцев from a specialist will help to deal with this problem.
To make them less noticeable, before gluing the skirting boards on their ends should be applied plaster putty. After the elements are joined, the extra putty is removed with a rubber spatula. All gaps will be filled and the joint will be less noticeable.
It is not easy to glue and properly dock the strips with the pattern. What to do in such a case? Video will tell you the answer.
Despite the fact that it is not so difficult to glue ceiling skirting boards, there are tips that are worth listening to:
- The walls should be clean and dust free. Any dirt will reduce the adhesive properties of the base.
- The underside of the skirting boards is better to make rough, as a smooth surface has a low quality of adhesion to the surface.
- It is important to choose a quality adhesive that can hold well, especially for heavy skirting boards. Also, do not use solvent adhesive for polystyrene skirting boards, such a composition can spoil the material.
- After gluing the ceiling skirting boards, do not allow draughts in the room within a day, the glue must be well cured.
Trimming ceiling skirting boards without a chisel
The walls in the room are not always flat, they may not be between 90 °. How to cut the ceiling plinth in such a case? You can use a simple marking on the ceiling.
- Cut the baseboard at an angle of 90°, put it on the ceiling, resting against the corner of the wall.
- Run the trimmer line with a pencil over the plank on the ceiling surface. Repeat the procedure with the second skirting board.
- At the point where the lines intersect, you need to cut the fillet. The line for the trimmer must go to the part of the trim that rested against the wall.
If you don’t have a jigsaw, you can measure the angle by hand
When cutting the ceiling plinth be sure to note that the inner corner is measured directly from the corner, and the outer corner will protrude into the depth of the room. Therefore, it is better to start with the trimming of the inner, and then move on to the outer corner. Glue the strip after the two joints formed by the mating strips are aligned.
The first method is with a wire cutter
Professional power plier with a rotary hacksaw
The chisel usually looks in the form of a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool represents the most ancient and simplest tool of a carpenter, designed for cutting wooden parts at an angle of 90° and 45°. There are types of such a device and for professional work, with a rotating mechanism, in them the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth properly
Ceiling corners are divided into interior and exterior, the method of joining them slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a plier with your own hands. For this, you will need three scraps of plywood or boards of equal size. First, they are applied in the form of an inverted letter “U” and make a marking of the corners. Then according to the markings cut slots under the hacksaw almost to the bottom, and the boards are twisted.
- Taking the right measurements.
- Install the baseboard plank in the jigsaw so that this position is exactly the same as the placement on the ceiling.
- The skirting board must be pressed tightly against the opposite wall of the jig. Hold it and press it with your free hand.
- We put the hacksaw at an angle of 45 ° in a special hole and cut a part.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, polystyrene foam) use a metal saw or a regular construction knife. Then the work will be neat and with straight edges.
- Measure the length of the skirting board from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave a trimmer line on the underside with a pencil, marking the desired length. Note that the edge (its upper part) must protrude slightly outward.
- The skirting board is moved into the joiner and cut.
- The adjacent strip must also be measured with a reserve, and it must be cut mirroring the first piece.
Trying on a ceiling plinth: the joining of details must be perfectly even. If the result is not achieved and the joints are uneven, you can trim the edges with a regular knife to perfect the joint.
Trimming a corner with a faux hacksaw
The third method of trimming the corner of the plinth is not quite usual. using a kind of faux-joints. You can make such a “tool” in two ways.
The first. to draw a jig. To do this, you can use plain heavy paper or cardboard: draw two parallel lines on the sheet and, using a protractor or a simple angle piece, mark off the angles with the required degree. The corner is cut in much the same way as in the case of a joiner’s plank: lay the skirting board against the “tool”, make the necessary marks and make the cut according to them.
The second way. to make a prototype of a crosscut out of three wooden boards: connect them in the form of an oblong letter “U” and perform notches in 45 and 90 degrees. The same protractor can also be used to mark corners.
A joiner made of wooden boards
Cutting the corners of the skirting without a jig, it is very important not to miscalculate with the length of the plank and directly to the degree of notch. To avoid mistakes, at first it is better to cut blanks 10 cm longer, then try on the dry to the ceiling and after that adjust until you get the desired result. In addition, let’s not forget that not all bathrooms have perfect angles of 90 degrees. you still can’t do without adjusting the products.
Tip. Only fix the baseboard to the ceiling after you have fitted the corner of the next baseboard blank to it. Cuts are better to try on not under the ceiling itself, but on the table. it will take more time, but the cut lines will be more accurate.
Thus, we have several ways to trim ceiling plinth: with a joiner’s chair, without a chair, using a kind of false chisel. Whatever variant of execution of the corners you have not chosen, it is important to do everything in a precise and accurate manner. only then will you get a truly effective tool for the final design of the ceiling, thereby making the interior of your bathroom aesthetically complete.