How to cut a pipe evenly with an angle grinder, safety rules
Work with the angle grinder at first glance seems simple and straightforward. But this is only for those who have never experienced pipe sawing. To do it evenly, consider the basic nuances and tricks important in the work. In particular, pre-marking as well as holding the angle grinder in a certain position when working at high speeds plays an enormous role.
Use of grinding and cutting power tools is classified as hazardous work. Therefore, when working with an angle grinder, you must consider the possibility of direct or indirect exposure to health hazards:
- cold or heat;
- poor illumination of the workplace;
- Strong noise, vibration from the machine;
- high physical strain
- Rotating parts;
- Dropping objects (work pieces);
- sparks and particulate matter flying off;
- working at height, depth or in a confined, inaccessible area;
- risk of electric shock.
To minimize the effects of the dangers and therefore to protect life and limb, following the safety rules for appliances with exposed rotating parts is essential. It requires the use of personal protective equipment (abbreviated PPE), good fastening of the work pieces, choosing a safe place, starting and finishing work correctly.
Personal protective equipment
The name PPE, or personal protective equipment means means for individual use, which are used to protect against contamination, prevent or reduce the effects of harmful and hazardous factors. For most workers, these are protective clothing appropriate to the profession. It usually includes pants, jacket, headgear, closed shoes. Since the angle grinder is a high-risk tool, clothing is supplemented by other protective equipment:
- goggles or face shield;
- Noise protection headphones or earplugs (ear plugs);
- Vibration-isolating gloves;
- A respirator, especially while cutting stone, tile, concrete, or slate.
Goggles will protect against sparks, fine crumbs, or the blade being sheared. Use of headphones or ear plugs helps to keep the noise out and avoid problems with hearing after the work. Gloves will protect against abrasion and vibration. And a respirator against the large amount of dust generated.
Clamping of workpieces
All small and medium-sized parts must be securely clamped in a vise or with clamps. When clamping, a safe place must be provided for the possible fall of the parts to be cut.
Sometimes it is necessary to process with an angle grinder large parts or structures that cannot be secured in a vise. It can be:
In such cases it is necessary to make sure that the processed surface is firmly fixed (stably standing or lying), that after processing the part will not lose its stability, and that the cut part will not fall on the worker or people around. If in the slightest doubt should be propped up by the supports, jacks, or to build up and securely fasten the slings to the surrounding metal or concrete structures.
Regardless of where the workplace is located. in a garage, cottage or free area, it must be well lit, meet basic safety requirements.
Requirements for workplace equipment:
- There shall be a workbench, table, shelf, cabinet or drawer for storage, as well as placement of devices, tools for productive safe work.
- All immovable equipment is securely placed (fixed) on the floor.
- Bench and shelf surfaces must be not smaller than the workpieces and tools being machined.
- The surface of workbenches are made of sheet steel, aluminum, other noncombustible materials.
- The vise must reliably clamp the workpieces to be machined. On the surfaces of the jaws of the vice there must be a cross-cut of 0,5. 1 mm depth at every 2. 3 mm.
- Fix the bench vice in such a way that processed parts are at the level of your elbow.
- In a closed vice the gap between jaws must not be more than 0,1 mm. Handle and jaws. without potholes and burrs.
- Movable part of the vice must not fall out when fully unscrewed and must move smoothly, without jerks.
- The floor around the workbench as well as the entire workplace must be dry and level.
- Power tool sockets should be located above the work surface of the workbench.
When working at height (over 1,5 m) it is necessary to use scaffolding (scaffolding) with handrail 1 m high, from below it must be planked 150 mm or higher.
how to cut round tube at 45 degrees || Cut 45 Degree Angle Pipe || homemade tools
It is not recommended to use randomly encountered stands, barrels, crates. Do not overload scaffolding (scaffolding). In any case, when working with an angle grinder, you must have a flat, solid surface under your feet.
Proper starts, stops and breaks
Before switching on the power tool, it is worth carefully inspecting and checking the blade. Do not use attachments with chips, splits, cracks, or any other damage.
Before powering on the angle grinder, the cutting (grinding) wheel must be mounted with the pattern upward, then clamped with the special nut. The size as well as permissible revolutions are indicated in the technical documentation for the tool.
easy way to cut 45 degree round pipe with angle grinder
Failure to match leads at least to defective work, premature disc wear, and at worst to injury.
When inspecting the tool, check that:
- there is no damage or cracks on the housing;
- The serviceability of the cable (cord), protective tubes and plug;
- the handle is well screwed on;
- the wheel is fenced and the hood is securely fastened.
Drawing under paper
You can draw a straight line for a trimmer to cut a profile and any pipe with a piece of paper. The main thing is that it has at least one flat side. The paper is applied with an even edge to the cut mark on the profile and wrapped around. When winding, the sheet is aligned so that its straight side converges across the tube. After that under the paper as on a ruler a line for a trimmer with a marker, on which the cut is made.
This method is convenient for cutting large pipes from 100 mm. On a small profile, it also works, but with multiple markings slicing takes a long time.
As a rule, the volume and complexity of the work to be done by a home handyman does not require the use of high-performance and expensive equipment of the production level. While making a frame of a greenhouse it is quite possible to cut pipes with an angle grinder or a traditional hand hacksaw.
Each type of cut has its own nuances, and some require special tricks.
At right angles
The accuracy of the cut is largely determined by a well-made marking. Experienced masters advise to mark the cutting lines not with a pencil, but with painter’s tape, observing the following sequence of actions:
- Set aside the required size and mark it with a marker or pencil.
- Carefully, applying the marking, cover the part with painter’s tape in a circle. The edges of the paper should come together without shifting. This is a sign that the paper is glued on correctly. If the edges do not come together, the tape must be re-adhesive.
- Firmly fix the workpiece to prevent its movement and slippage during the work. Use a vice or a clamp for clamping.
- The cut off (smaller) piece of the workpiece should be left suspended so that it does not clamp the blade or disk.
- Start the cut at the top.
- The disk of an angle grinder (or a blade of a hacksaw) lead exactly to the edge of the masking tape, without deviating to the side.
This will allow you to evenly cut the necessary length.
If the diameter is large, the marking is carried out in the same way, but it is cut in parts, in 30-60° segments. After another sector is cut, the fasteners are loosened and the tube is rotated. Then fix it again and continue cutting from where the previous sector ended. To get a straight cut, special attention should be paid to the beginning of the cut, avoiding steps and dents.
Make a 45° oblique cut
It is possible to cut the end of the pipe exactly at 45° without using complex devices. Enough to apply a locksmith’s ingenuity. You will need to do the following:
- Cut the sheet of paper in the shape of a square.
- Fold it diagonally. Create a right-angled isosceles triangle.
- Wrap the blank sheet so that the cathetus of the triangle was perpendicular to the axis, and the hypotenuse formed an ascending spiral.
- Secure the sheet with tape.
- Fix the blank and cut along the oblique edge of the sheet. You’ll get a 45° angle.
There is another folk method. Immerse the end of the workpiece in a container of liquid at the desired angle. It is necessary to cut along the border of wet and dry sections.
If you want to cut not perpendicularly, it is better to use an old carpentry tool. the plier.
This is a U-shaped template, in the side walls of which the slots are already made at given angles. The tube is placed against the side of the chisel far from the master and pressed there with a hand or a hand clamp. The hand saw blade is guided into the appropriate slots and saws. If it is necessary to cut at a different angle, additional cuts in the walls of the mitre saw can be made.
Preparing to work with an angle grinder
Working with power tools and their accessories always involves preparatory work. the angle grinder is no exception. First of all, you should prepare the required protective equipment.
Safety precautions when working on the lathe
Please note! The minimum program. goggles and safety cover. Failure to follow these instructions can result in eye injuries and sparks.
Protective gloves should also be available. Hands are close to the disc during work. This causes particles, dross and sparks to get on your fingers and palms. Use thick gloves to protect hands and skin. This is the minimum set for home use. If we are talking about production, you need full protective clothing in the workplace, covering all parts of the body.
The usual perpendicular cutting at 90º
Some people believe that you do not even need to make any markings here, especially if you are holding a large angle grinder with a large cutting disc. However, afterwards, when aligning pipes cut without marking, problems can arise. To avoid them, you can use the usual duct tape or masking tape, which is glued around the pipe. At the same time, its edges in the start and end points should perfectly coincide. If everything is done correctly, after cutting the two pipes will come together, forming a perfectly even line, without unnecessary gaps.
Marking is done quite simply with duct tape
Recommendations of specialists on some types of work
Next, we will tell you how to work with an angle grinder with various metal products.
Sharpening a chain saw chain
Picture 2: sharpening a chainsaw chain with an angle grinder
The chain is sharpened on the chainsaw arm. Use a 2.5 mm thick sharpening blade for the work. It is necessary to mark the first tooth that you will work. With the right actions, the chain can be renewed 4-7 times before it finally fails.
It is better to start cutting thick metal with an angle grinder from the edges. If you start in the middle, the disc can jam and bend. During processing, apply force to the lower part of the cutting tool, which ensures the efficiency of the cut.
Photo 4: cutting corners with angle grinder
Metal corners can be cut with withered discs or small-diameter tools. It is important to remember that the work is staged: first they cut one part of the molding, then the second one.
Sharpening a circular saw blade
Picture 5: Grinding circular saw blade with angle grinder
Start by securing the angle grinder with clamps, leaving access to the rotating part of the tool. Then bring the saw blade to the sharpening wheel without applying too much force. Grinding wheel must run tangentially along the workpiece. Keep a close eye on the sharpening plane.
Polishing is a complex operation of workpiece finishing. Use it to remove minor defects such as scuffs, chips, and scratches. The surface takes on a noble luster and the workpiece becomes marketable.
Cutters with replaceable inserts are compound metal-cutting tools with removable working components fixed on the body. Products are used to form grooves, inclined surfaces and ledges. With its help openings are prepared, complicated technological cutouts are created.
Grooving and shoulder milling involves complex operations on several surfaces at the same time. Actions are carried out with the use of profile cutters, provide preparation of technological ledges and openings for the subsequent connection of parts.
Cutter wear is a complex phenomenon that results from tool use. Due to wear, the sharpness of cutting edges decreases, the weight, geometry and mechanical stability of the product change.
Calculation of cutting modes is carried out for mechanized and manual metal processing. According to the results of calculations, you select the equipment, determine the optimal method of work and the amount of production costs.
Machine tool with abrasive disk
In essence, it is still the same angle grinder, which is simply fixed in a special frame for convenience. This tool is enough injury, but allows you to make cuts at an angle of 90 or 45 degrees. There are several nuances to consider before using such a tool, otherwise you could be injured in the process:
- The machine has to be well supported on a horizontal surface;
- Cutting profile pipe should be performed only with goggles or a special mask;
- The movement of the tool itself must coincide with the rotation of the metal disc;
- Before working, the metal pipe must be firmly clamped in a vise.
Working with an angle grinder is difficult enough even for an experienced craftsman, so do not take up the tool if this is the first time you have heard of it. Cutting metal parts is demonstrated in more detail in the video.
Self-cutting can be carried out with products with a diameter of 5 to 30 cm. So if the product does not fall within these limits, it is best to call in professionals.
When carrying out any such manipulations, it is important to remember the basic rules:
- Metal products are very sensitive to temperature, so in hot or cold weather some problems may occur. The material is easily compressed and expanded, which makes it difficult to determine true size.
- Metal plastic pipes, as well as polypropylene pipes, can be cut with any improvised means. But in order to avoid various negative consequences, it is best to do it with special tools.
- An excellent tool is a special self-sharpening knife. But if you plan to work on replacing one section with another, it is better to abandon the tool in favor of scissors.
- The material is quite fragile. Applying too much force can cause cracks or specific deformations. The allowable load can be seen in the product data sheet, which was issued at the time of installation of plumbing.
- The type of cutting depends directly on the proportion of metal and plastic in the product. If there is more metal, there should be as little friction as possible when cutting. Otherwise, a large proportion of plastic implies a high intensity of work with a lot of friction.
- Before starting work, be sure that there is no water or gas flowing through the pipe. It is necessary to turn off all the taps and wait a little.
- After completing the work must be properly cleaned from debris that can lead to clogs or break the specialized equipment.
The use of electronic tools for cutting is not considered reasonable, because the specifics of the material is not designed for it. It is possible to cope with manual means.
In the video, the process of cutting with an angle grinder:
I hope the review was helpful. Here I am cutting a pipe of large diameter and it took me only three minutes to cut it, of course the time required to cut a pipe with a diameter of 15 to 25 millimeters will be much less. Always wear safety glasses while working with the angle grinder. it is a must for your health. So, dear friends, feel free to apply it in your work and let success always accompany you.
The article before this line was originally written, and it is dedicated to help sants with experience, as explained in the description to the video. And what I saw after ten months of posting it on YouTube:. 66 likes and 95 dislikes. Lots of negative Комментарии и мнения владельцев. Sadly, this was not what I was aiming for. One viewer, named Vladimir Temlyak, wrote: “They show all kinds of crap just to make money”. I wonder what’s in it for my livelihood? The last commenter, under the nickname Jumatatatu ta, threw in a couple of links to pictures of crippled people. And then I realized that many of the “praised” my video viewers. these are ordinary people, in addition, frightened by the scare stories prevalent on the Internet. The next line is for them:
That’s for these guys and was filmed a video, I wanted them to get acquainted with the disc thickness of 1.2 mm.
But I was already hurt by these dislikes and therefore decided to explore that on this issue is online. What was my amazement at reading the sites located in the top search engines: a lot of articles written about the angle grinder copywriters. Who is it? Let me explain, a copywriter is a person who makes a living writing articles, that is, he is given a set of keywords (in our case. angle grinder, cutting disc, an accident), they say that the article should contain at least 2-3 thousand characters (a sign. is a letter, symbol, space, etc.).п.) And he slaps on an article. With the same success tomorrow he writes about ladybug, and the day after about spaceships, and another day about the usefulness of the mix “Turboslim. I have made myself clear?
What a news reporter might say in a news report, for example? Of course a big scoop, oh how they like to say “two flights of stairs were flooded with blood” and so on. Never, no one in the news will tell that the Moldovan, or there Uzbek, or Russian, put on the angle grinder circle of the wrong diameter A HEAVEN!
No, don’t get the idea, I didn’t mean to “begrudge” the seriousness of working with this tool, but it’s just a tool. a hand tool. Let me remind you once again: a million people use it every day and five hundred thousand of them operate it without a cover.